THR Recovery in Labrador

Hey @PS46 - been watching the news - devastating times, l hope you and yours are safe. As soon as I wrote that I realized that it doesn't do any more to have that sentiment does it? Instead I wish that all of us would feel safe and free from violence. Not sure what sort of music you play but know that all music can be a refuge during difficult times.
 
Hi @labanan. Yes, we are all fine thanks. My younger son lives in Wandsworth, south London, not far at all from the incidents at the weekend. He and his partner are both ok

I cannot for the life of me understand why anybody can think that violence is the answer ....

There was a benefit concert last night for all the poor people who suffered in the Manchester incident and it was one of the most moving things I have ever seen, with local bands - who themselves must have felt threatened - playing their hearts out. I'm not sure whether you are a fan of Coldplay, but they played a brilliant set

We play all sorts of stuff!

I really think that music can be a huge comfort, healer, inspiration, motivation and all sorts of other things - which is why I love it and always will!

Hope all ok with you and ready made ice packs in the bay
Peter
 
OMG Jan that sounds so cool and fun...How artistic you are this is the most different fun I've ever heard of ......
 
Very interesting about your writing, labanan. You have several interesting hobbies which are definitely needed when you live in cold country or when you are recovering from hip surgery. I live in northern NY where we get the cold and snow, too, but our snow is gone a little sooner than yours - most likely by May 1. And the ice is out of the lakes sooner, too. During those long winters you need some things to keep you busy, that is for sure. It sounds like your recovery is going well and that is good.
 
Hey Peter I have well over 400 CDs, add in all my other forms of music and well .....gotta love almost all music.... What do you play?

Jan what's going on with you all still picking up?
 
Labanan, I just found your thread. I enjoyed reading of your journey home. I lived in Alaska 18-years, worked in Prudhoe Bay, did some surveying on mountainsides covered in mosquito netting and spent a lot of time in small planes. But never after surgery. At least you can thank your lucky stars they don't shoehorn you into a Twin Otter or a piper cub. I hope it wasn't too bumpy and they gave you good pills in the great white north, eh? Good story.
 
Hi all ! Thought I'd join the party. It is nearly 8 AM and I'm still in bed being a lazy bones, drinking the rather cold coffee my fella brought me. I slept in a bit because last night I took NO pills! I went to take my usual tylenol arthritis ones and thought - nope, I'm not feeling any pain. I slept a touch fitfully but really not bad considering this is the first night in years without something. Major turning point.

@PS46 - glad all are okay in your part of the mud ball and that you continue to rock on with your uke. I read on one of your posts that you like Tom Waits - he's definitely one of my faves along with John Hiatt and Steve Earle. Of course I could go on and on - love our Canucks - Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen, kd lang and ...

@GrannyC and @MyAussieGirl - yes, creating keeps me sane! That, my Buddhist practice and walking are my pillars. I've written forever, have a novel looking for a publisher, some poetry published and several plays including musicals that have been produced. I draw and paint, knit and embroider, and have my second quilt on a frame waiting for me to finish hand-quilting. I've made dolls off and on my whole life but now I'm on my 9th in this series, so that is something that this recovery has encouraged! This isolated community is good for all my disciplines - if I were home in Nova Scotia I'd be way too busy with grandkids, pals and community stuff to get so much done!

@dougie0216 - do you miss the north? My brother and his family have lived in NWTs for all of his adult life - we're only sub-arctic. Now that he and his wife are retired they're thinking of moving to Alberta but I notice they are dragging their heels! As to my trip home it was HELL! The plane was a dash 8, the weird small wheelchair they strap you into to trundle you across the tarmac and hoist you up the stairs will not allow you to keep your leg straight so I had to hold it up myself and have them stop from time to time so I could stand it. The aisle on the plane is too small so one's affected hip is pushed up against the seats as they wedge you to the second row and although they promised me an aisle seat with my sore leg on the aisle side they gave me the opposite. I pressed my face to the window and held myself together by gritting my teeth! Then the whole thing in reverse when we came down in Goose Bay! Nope, if I have to do the other hip it'll have to wait until I'm in Nova Scotia! The good thing is, in contrast, nothing has seemed so bad.

Okay y'all - time for me to read the newest New Yorker and ponder the collapse of civilization!
 
Hi @labanan

Pleased to hear you are in party mood! I made the mistake (according to my wife, who annoyingly, is usually right) of going to a rehearsal last night. I stood up for a couple of hours and jumped up and down a bit. I am a tad sore as a result, so today and tomorrow are now designated quiet days, as opposed to the rock and roll lifestyle I normally lead - not

Yes, I do like John Hiatt and Leonard Cohen was a genius in my view - I love virtually everything he has done. I also like Natlale Prass and Valerie June, both of whom I have seen live over here and they were very good. Have a listen on Spotify. My real love is/was the New Wave, eg Jam, Blockheads, Nick Lowe, Elvis Costello (hero!) etc. I have tried "Watching the Detectives" on the Uke! I could go on for hours about music, so if you have trouble sleeping again, just drop me a post ...

Tonight is going to be momentous. I had my last blood thinning tablet yesterday morning, which means I can have my first pint since 30 April, so we are off to the pub tonight - oh yes

That is about it from a sunny, windy Gloucestershire, so keep well and will catch up soon

Peter
 
I've been in a Dash 8.... I am sooo sorry they could not do a better job accommodating you. The 90-mi drive home on a bumpy concrete turnpike after my first surgery was bad, but at least I could stop and get out at any time. Hard to do 5000m up in the air.
Nova Scotia sounds like a good option. I've never been East of Manitoba, I'd love to see the Maritimes.
I dream of salmon fishing, drinking beer at hockey games, beating on the glass and using the term hoser - and skiing. I can't afford to sit on the glass when I make my annual pilgrimage to a Dallas Stars game. Anchorage had a pre Olympic hockey tournament in 1988 and we had seats on the glass. Scott Stevens was on Team Canada then. We berated him mercilessly. I'm spite of our actions, Team Canada won the tournament. Oh Canada, our home and native land...

I could skate backwards, but was primarily a skiier. Once upon a time I was USSA Boys Class III Alaska State Champion at 7.5k in X-Country skiing (1976). After high school I switched to downhill. I like adrenaline! I also began using up cartilage I guess.

Now I do not miss 5-6 mos of winter. Skiing and skating are off my bucket list. I miss the beauty and nature out the back door. But almost everyone slips and busts their tail at least once a winter, I don't need that. I'm good for a visit in the summer, but I am done with long winters. When you're young winter is an opportunity for recreation. Now it's a liability.
I enjoy reading your thread.
 
Looks around many in here like winter and mellow fun...... Me gimme beaches.....and keeping mega busy till I drop
 
Peter ... I meant what do you play not listen too but I since saw you mentioned what you play..... I love to dance but cannot play anything if I could be I would love to play the flute ... Emerson Lake and Palmer.....Moody blues...even Till had lots of flute ... I just love all music ... jumping now.... I love the blues too
 
Hi @MyAussieGirl

Hope you are well!

For gigs, it depends to some extent on the audience, so it does vary a little. We have a playlist and normally play 15 or 16 at a gig. It is quite wide ranging really and just by way of example, we do 1920s songs, Amy Winehouse, Beatles, Joe Brown, Steve Harley, Creedence Clearwater Revival and Tom Jones. In the unlikely event of an encore, we do "Delilah."

When I am playing at home, I tend to download songs which are played accoustically, eg Dylan, Tom Waits etc

I absolutely love blues ("San Francisco Bay Blues" is on our playlist), plus all the people you mentioned. Saw Jethro Tull a few years ago - absolutely brilliant and we have tickets for Alison Moyet later this year. The Moody Blues featured heavily in my teenage years. "In Search of the Lost Chord" was one of the first albums I bought

Easy on the dancing, unless it's flamingo style on one leg!

Peter
 
9th week report!
Hi everyone - I'm going to keep it short as I have plenty to do today. My recovery very much took a turn for the best this week. I'm sleeping well, moving well and so enjoying that my chronic pain is gone. I'm still keeping to functiional exercise - no pt - but my stride is better, my energy much better and I'm going up and down stairs in a normal fashion. I decided that by week 12 I will begin exercising. I'm going to start with Essentrics which I did before my chronic pain got too much. I understand that the soft muscle of my thigh should be pretty much healed by then.

Small break of four hours while friends with a three year old visited and then the fella and I went for my first long walk in over two years. We went into the woods and out at first beach. I sat and drew while he and Bella walked on. Total bliss and I know I'm going to likely pay for it. The ground is so uneven that I was using muscles I forgot I had. Worth it! And before anyone scolds me it wasn't that far - just farther than I've been in awhile. Now for a late lunch and then I have some meditating to do! And perhaps a wee rest,

Here's my latest doll, Ruthie. She's a barrel racing champ.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Recovery in Labrador
    20170608_103237 small.png
    184.3 KB · Views: 175
You're doing awesome Jan.... I'm OK but was gone a few days my FIL died..... Your doll is adorable... I think you're on that break you spoke of so I'll hush for now

@PS46 sorry to run like I did we love a lot of the same music....lots...I was just telling Jan my FIL passed away so I left the site for a few days.... Oddly be I can dance on 1 leg if need be lol
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom