THR Recovery in Labrador

Thanks Joe, I've had one good night in the last five so feeling quite frustrated. I'd like to figure it out but am stymied. It isn't pain . Last night I took tylenol for arthritis and two of my sleeping pills as I really wanted one good night sleep. Nope. It is this most unreal restlessness where I try one side then the other. I'm using a pillow even though my restrictions are lifted - pretty normal for me anyway - but I cannot get comfortable. I shift and shift for hours. I think tonight I'll just get up and go sit in the kitchen or living room and read. I've had bouts of insomnia my whole life but this has a distinctively different feel. It may be a reaction to the nine or more months I was on opiods and sleeping pills. I'm not worried that I'm addicted, I'm an addictions counselor, but just some weird bounce back my body is doing.

And thanks Aussie Girl and Granny C for checking in too! This is such a great group!

Thanks for being suc
 
Hi @labanan - what a cosmopolitan site this is! Good afternoon from sunny Gloucester ....

I had a left THR on 2nd May this year, just a year after having a right THR and have had sleeping issues both times. I remember last year thinking I would never again sleep for three consecutive hours, but eventually I did. It just seemed to happen

This time I decided not to stress about it and just be philosophical and do Sudoku, read, listen to music, send emails etc and if anything it has been worse! However, over the last few days it has started to improve

The only similarities seem to be that on both occasions the position was better and more cnsistent after I started to knock off the heavy duty meds, which I am doing because I don't seem to need them any more. I am taking (eight mire!) Xarelto for blood thinning and paracetamol

Hope things start to improve soon - try to take it easy!

Best wishes
Peter
 
Thanks Peter - I've been off the heavy duty drugs since the end of week three - now just arthritis tylenol. But the more I think of it the more I do think that this is a reaction to the long time on nsaids like celebrex, then hydromorphone and sleeping pills. When I got out of the hospital I was on tylenol with codeine. Guess I'll just tough it out. Hate all the drugs and happy to br free of the opiods for sure. The other factor is that my fella is sleeping in the spare room since all of this and so I have become used to watching shows on my tablet etc.. I know watching screens too close to bed time messes with your sleep so will leave this in the kitchen and stick to reading tonight! Now off I go!

Jan
 
Hugs you Jan I was kinda thinking maybe meds no longer there... I can get addicted to sleeping pills easy and it's so subtle.... I'm thinking body adjusting too not repeat NOT that you're addicted just body may feel things more now
 
Definitely a good idea re looking at screens, Jan. We have a similar "rule" in our place!
I'm ok with a book or my Kindle though

Good luck!
Peter
 
Sleep will come. I think our sleep patterns get so messed up, what with the surgery, pain before and painkillers etc. I didn't have a really good nights sleep until recently. It just seemed to happen and I realised I was sleeping through the night again. That was probably at about 11/12 weeks into it all. Hang in there. And I agree, probably the tablet doesn't help. I stopped doing that at bedtime and just read books/kindle which I think helped.
Take care,
Sam


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks all! Last night was much better. We put the memory foam back on (it made the bed too high) and I got the duvet back. We had stored it because when I couldn't move my foot at the beginning I was fighting it all night. I left my tablet in the kitchen and read! I took tylenol but no sleep meds. It wasn't perfect but it was loads better. And I awoke to find that most of the ice is gone in the bay! Heaven. I'm extending my walks from one longish and one shortish to three shortish a day and see how that works.
 
Yah, @MyAussieGirl, should have resd this - instead I carried on like one of those day-after-viagra guys in the ads only I can't whistle. So last night was yet again another night of torture. So today I'll be taking it much easier.
 
Jan I'm praying you get some good sound sleep ..... I worry about you.....though sleep for me is all over the place lately ....lots or none.....lol noooo Viagra .... I don't need that guy on TV with the bionic boner to match my hip

Huge hugs been a hard week here ✝
 
Hi @MyAussieGirl - no need to worry! I just need to remember to go slow. When I get a zoom of energy and really feel that I'm truly out of that pre-op cave of pain I tend to overdo it. Last night I had a fairly good sleep. No tablet in bed, reading a good book and no sleep medication, just the usual arthritis tylenol. Yesterday I took two smallish walks. That's it!

Thanks for thinking of me!
 
Glad you got some much needed rest. It sure makes the days seem brighter!
 
I did my first post op gig this afternoon and am feeling v pleased with myself

Hope I don't suffer too much - sitting on the bed with legs up and icing!

Fingers crossed .....
 
Good for you @PS46 ! Where was your gig?

I'm icing too - helps before I sleep. Had a fairly quiet day. Cold and windy out but at least the ice in the bay is all gone.
 
Hi @labanan

It was an open day at a large care home in Cheltenham, near where I live

I have practiced quite a bit since my op, but not much singing. We played for an hour, which doesn't sound long, but it is, without a break and I so I had very little voice left at the end - much to the amusement of my carer (wife!)

It's so interesting to hear about where other people live - we don't even have a bay, never mind ice, here. Our closest coast is somewhere like Clevedon, a lovely place about forty miles away

Weather here not too bad here. I have just about been able to get by in shorts since my op (02May)

Hope all is well with you
Peter
 
Jan I'm glad you had a decent night... I'm reading a good book too a mystery plus I always read my Bible....Hey we are friends I worry when I don't see you around and I know the whole sleep or desire for it nightmare like you mine predates my surgery we be messes together lol
 
Hello @MyAussieGirl ! I'm doing fine. Been sleeping well enough the last few nights. Today I will have a busy day. A friend and I are writing an evening murder to be held at our museum. Back in Nova Scotia two of my closest friends and I had a murder mystery company for 25 years. We did mystery weekends at hotels. Lots of crazy fun and a nice income stream. This one is just for the fun. I may not be back from Nova Scotia in time to be part of it but that's no biggy. So, my fella just brought me coffee before he heads to work and so I'll lounge for a bit then time to pitter-patter fly-atter! We had a cold windy weekend - a nor'easter blew and blew but today it looks sunny.

Hope you're good. I'll pop over and visit.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom