TKR Recovery #2

@Layla you can ask Alexa to put your groceries away:loll:
Amazon is so annoying lately. Next day delivery has become next 3 days maybe delivery.
First world problems, geez!
 
Oh I don’t know beachy, maybe you should consider a second career playing for the NFL! But seriously you are wise to wait on the strength training. There is plenty of time for that later! I don’t know when I’ll go back but I know my knee will tell me when it’s time (:
 
I drove a few miles to our neighborhood clubhouse where the gym and pool are located. Its a huge place. I walked inside for 20 min. My street is a slight hill and the knee wasn't happy....only 10 min. I feel like I'm back among people!
Here's the pic of the gym view overlooking the Chesapeake Bay in the distance:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Recovery #2
    IMG_20230311_130217.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 68
I walked inside for 20 min. My street is a slight hill and the knee wasn't happy....only 10 min.
My driveway has quite a slope to it (brilliant for a senior community :doh:) and it took me a while, but I realized I was sabotaging my recovery in the early months walking in my community, just getting from the house to the street.
 
@Jockette
Right? Just brilliant! This started in 2005 as a 55+ community, but changed about 10+ yrs ago. Its open to anyone now.
I must be slow on the uptake.... took me time to figure out the slope of the street affected my knee.

Today I'm heading back to the clubhouse to walk. No problems after walking yesterday.
Noticed I was walking the short flight of steps off my deck regular instead of 1 at a time. Holding railings on either side.
So, that's 2 victories!
Driving is easier, too. 3 victories.
If all goes well I'll go to the gym this coming week and try the bike in place of walking. Also, I'm booking a spa day for next week. Hair, nails, brows. Doc said a pedicure is ok, but I'm going to wait. Not sure he knows what's involved LOL.

Slow and steady is my mantra. Fast and furious was the first tkr and I learned the hard way.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Yay for the victories! Each one of those milestones, no matter how great or small certainly brighten the day.
Enjoy the pampering next week, dahling, you will look marvelous!! :)
@beachy
 
Tomorrow will be 9 weeks.
Week 8 is almost in the rear view mirror. And its been good! Am I pain free? No. Is it tolerable? Yes. Usually Tylenol or sometimes a left over hydrocodone at night. And sometimes Tylenol once daytime.
I can do so much more than 7 weeks.
Driving is fine now. Haven't gone long distances.
Steps are no longer 1 at a time. But, I go slowly.
Knee feels strong. Just some soft tissue, IT band soreness. And the knee has slight, occasional pain in front and back.

Today is infusion treatment for hubs after oncologist appt. So, it will be several hours at cancer Center and I know I'll be fine....can put my leg up on something. 4- 6 weeks ago it was a struggle for his appointments.

Looking forward to a little St. Patty's celebrating with crazy friends on Fri. Couldn't think about doing that last week.
Hang in there Bonesmarties! This a gradual recovery. Take it slow those beginning weeks and have patience.
 
Great post. Glad things are on the up. Hope your husband's infusion goes well and the appointment doesn't put too much strain on your knee.
I am amazed you are doing steps properly so early.
 
Good to read you're doing so well, beachy! Regaining the ability to do the normal things such as driving and navigating stairs is such a great feeling. It's wonderful you're able to comfortably be there for your husband today and that you have the grace of God on your side. I hope at weeks end you and hubs enjoy lots of love and laughter as you celebrate St Patty's day with friends. :cheers: Safe travels today!
@beachy
 
Thanks @Layla and @EalingGran !
It still aches and she is a fickle you know what. She doesn't like being down when I'm sitting. Hubs nurse brought me a chair to prop her up. These chemo/infusion nurses are so kind. I took an ice pack. But, Pia wanted to walk. Then propped up with ice, then walk. I forgot to take Tylenol so she was achy. But, not terribly swollen.

I'm going up and down stairs slowly. But, its still better than 1 at a time. Took yesterday off from walking the clubhouse. Today I walked at the cancer center. Tomorrow I'm using the bike at the gym.
Progress, though small, feels good.
Hubs did great today and oncologist appt pre-infusion was very positive, too. We are blessed.
 
Great post, beachy! You’re doing so well, it’s an inspiration. If/when I have to do this again, I hope it looks a little more like your recovery! Not because you’ve had a miraculous recovery and are running marathons and climbing mountains at 9 weeks (like some stories we’ve heard haha), but because you’re taking such a smart, measured approach and it’s really paying off.

I’m so glad it went well with your hubby’s appointment yesterday. I’m sure he appreciates that you’re able to support him like that. Marriage is all about leaning on each other, isn’t it?

Keep up the good work, beachy! Cheering you on!:yay:
 
@JusticeRider
But, I did run a marathon. At 1 week post op.
Climbed a mountain at 3 weeks. Just didn't want to brag about it here. :rotfl: And make others feel bad.
Seriously, thank you for your kind words... Much appreciated!
If you have to to this again ...ugh...but, you've found Bonesmart and know what to expect. And you were smart to share your recovery and listen to staff members.
I'm so happy you have turned the corner in your recovery:loveshwr:
 
I can honestly say, in a whisper, that the knee feels the best it has in a very long time. The swelling is minimal, the ache is minimal, the tightness is there, but not nearly as bad as it was. Hope I didn't jinx it.
Dermatologist appt today. Looks like I have an infected cyst near my left shoulder. Concerned about infection and an 11 month old shoulder replacement. Hopefully, Dr Pimple Popper can remove it. The sucker hurts!

Knee is better, shoulder area hurts.
 
Good luck for the appointment! Understand the worry about infection but hopefully will be easily sorted.
Doesn't life seem to be endless hospital appointments at times?
I have been discharged from the infectious disease clinic last week and my lymph node scan was normal- so hoping ( fingers firmly crossed) that I have no more hospital trips for a while.....
 
@EalingGran that's such good news about your infection! Well done!
Yes, it seems like so many doc appts between hubs and myself. I'm really over it LOL

@Layla thanks! My friends go to the dermatologist for fillers...botox, juviderm, etc.
I get infected cyst removal.:rotfl:
But, I can still move my face LOL
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom