TKR Recovery #2

@JusticeRider I don't know about impressed. She was a little surprised that flex was 95 with no pt. told her I had been doing heel slides and more ADLs every day.
This is not a sports type rehab. They PT a lot of older folks that have many different conditions. They have specialists that work with lymphedema problems. I'm 69 (one of the older folks), but no real health conditions. They have younger, fit patients, too.
So, when they work with joint replacement patients its a gentle PT. Love it there!
 
@EalingGran Scar comparisons LOL that's funny!
My hubs is getting better every day now that he's home, thanks for asking. He had thoracic surgery on Monday and has a small chest tube that comes out Tues. Modern medicine is amazing. He can drive today if it doesn't hurt. So we're excited!!
 
So, when they work with joint replacement patients its a gentle PT. Love it there!
That is wonderful! We need more of those. I love my pt office, I’ve been seeing them through all 4 of my surgeries, but this knee replacement has been something else. I didn’t know any better and explicitly gave them permission to forcibly push my knee till I cried (this was pre BoneSmart for me and I thought that’s what I had to do to get my ROM back). Once I asked them not to do that anymore and said I didn’t want to measure flexion anymore, they respected that completely. They are a really great small office and treat you like family. But I always felt a little pressured to do more. Wish I could go to yours! I love that they were surprised at your ROM *with no pt* that’s great!
 
Slept on my side for a few hours with pillow in between legs last nite!
Woohoo couldn't do that for MONTHS last time!:spin::egypdance::dancy:
Isn't it the best!!! I have been able to do that for a few weeks, and it's amazing. I was also able to roll over on my surgical side a couple nights ago and it felt fine. I was shocked. I really don't lay on the right side much because that's the side of my shoulder surgery and I'm still paranoid of injuring that.
 
@trinket
When was your shoulder surgery? I had a left shoulder replacement 4/22.
@JusticeRider
That's the difference.... I did know better thanks to Bonesmart. When I went to prehab for my knee in Dec I had a long talk with Kelly and told her my thoughts and experience with PT from tkr and I was firm about it. She knew I was a hard worker from shoulder pt. But tkr is way different. The look on her face when I told her I would wait 3 weeks was priceless:rotfl:
They are working for us. We are in charge. Most patients don't know that. I'll get off my soapbox now.
 
@trinket
When was your shoulder surgery? I had a left shoulder replacement 4/22.
Hi beachy, I had right shoulder surgery March 22, 2022. Five anchors in my torn rotator cuff, repaired torn bicep tendon, torn labrum, and fixed my AC joint. I expected the rehab for my shoulder to be worse than it was. My shoulder is good now but it was a mess prior to surgery.
 
@trinket
Wow! That was a huge shoulder surgery. Mine was pretty easy recovery and routine replacement. Pain was minimal post op. Maybe that's because , like you, I was in misery pre op.
I don't even think about it now or feel any pain in it.
 
@trinket
Wow! That was a huge shoulder surgery. Mine was pretty easy recovery and routine replacement. Pain was minimal post op. Maybe that's because , like you, I was in misery pre op.
I don't even think about it now or feel any pain in it.
Yes! My shoulder is perfect now and I don't think about it either. Hope someday I will say the same about my knee.
 
@beachy @trinket Would you say shoulder surgery/ replacement is easier than knee replacement? Thankfully my shoulder is OK ( although I had a frozen shoulder a few years ago). But my daughter's mother- in- law is totally miserable with a painful shoulder. This has lasted for almost a year and she has not been very proactive in seeking help. Apparently her MRI shows some torn tendons ( she had a fall almost a year ago) and she believes it is too late for surgery. I want to encourage her to look at BoneSmart and think about getting something done- even if she has to go privately. But I don't want to push this if shoulders are even tougher than knees to recover from....
 
@EalingGran
Hands down, shoulder was a thousand times easier than knee for me. Mine was a very straightforward simple shoulder replacement. I had an MRI to see if there were tears to rotator cuff which I didn't have. I had "impressive" bone spurs and doc thought the spurs would have shredded something.
The pain was not bad and easily controlled. I had to keep the shoulder immobilized.
I have a recovery thread somewhere in shoulder forum.
 
@trinket
I saw your scar pics too. Your scar looks great now. But that first pic LOL!
It does look like a ton of glue or something. Looks so much better now!
 
Hands down, shoulder was a thousand times easier than knee for me.
Thanks- that's interesting. I will try and persuade her to have a look on BoneSmart shoulder forum.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom