TKR Recovering in Western North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Becky, I don't know the answer to your question, however I am glad to hear from you. You sound like you're doing well and you and Liam know what movies to put on so you can both snooze and still know what's going on. Norm and I do that all the time and if we don't remember it we say, "Hey, let's see that one, we never saw it!".:th_heehee: Awesome!:thumb:
Here's hoping you heal quickly and enjoy your pain free life!:friends:
 
Becky, mine held on for dear life for about 3 weeks. I'd gently pull and a few came off, then my home PT said enough and took them off! By the30 days visit with my OS, all scabs were gone (but sutures appeared in 2 spots).
 
Jacky -- sounds like we're on the same track with movies and napping. What's funny is when you're "watching" a movie and snoozing, and the plot changes in your dreams. :th_heehee:

PooShay -- thanks for the encouragement. The steri-strips are driving me crazy. As of tomorrow, I'll be 3 weeks post-surgery. It feels like longer.

Thanks to both of you for starting my day off with a smile.:flowerysmile: Time for a nap before the person checking my blood comes for a visit.:sleep:
 
Becky, enjoy those action packed dreams! Hopefully at three weeks you are about turning one of the first corners in recovery.
 
Becky, enjoy those action packed dreams! Hopefully at three weeks you are about turning one of the first corners in recovery.

Janet,
Thanks. Hope that you enjoy some relaxing movie time too.

Turning a "corner" in recovery soon sounds like good news to me. I'll let you all know when I notice a corner has been turned -- maybe sleeping better. My home PT person had me walk down the driveway (a slope) for the 2nd time, and down the street to the bottom of our property (steep) for the 1st time, and back up again. So she said that I've already started one of my goals of being able to walk up and down the steep slope of our street. There's 2 houses (and yards) below ours and 1 house (and yard) above ours to the top of the hill. So it will still be awhile before I do the whole street. But it's a start. I didn't think I'd be doing even that little bit yet. :biggrin:
 
Becky, that's a start! It sounds like our house in Germany on the side of a small mountain. I think I only walked up it twice. Once voluntatily, and then not again until snow kept my car from getting up the hill. I do hope you find that corner soon!
 
Janet,

Several winters ago there was a Sunday evening (last Sunday in November) that we went to an Advent concert during which it started snowing outside. We were meeting a couple of friends for dinner afterwards. They decided to skip the dinner and go home. We decided that since we were already at the restaurant, we'd eat dinner and THEN go home. It took an hour to find a route back home that we could "negotiate". Liam was driving -- fortunately. He's used to driving in snow and ice since he grew up in Indianapolis. Of course, Indianapolis is flat, and Asheville is full of what his sister refers to as "climby-divey-twisty-turny" roads. We finally made it to the bottom of our street (hill), but the car couldn't get enough traction to make it -- too much ice and no traffic. So Liam parked the car, and we "hiked" up the street -- very carefully.

Do you get to visit Germany very much? I traveled there once -- the summer of 1970. It was part of a "3-weeks, 7-countries music-art workshop tour" with my college. I have fond memories of Germany. Our bus driver and tour guide were both Germans. We had a fantastic time. :cheers_wine::mornincoffee::ccheers::beer2::hapydancsmil::flowerysmile::loll:
 
We lived in Germany for six years for my husbands job, but Michigan is home. I haven't been back since I left, but that's only been three years. We might have been hiking up our snowy hills the same November. It was on Thanksgiving, and my husband was flying in from Russia. I left for the airport to pick him up before the snow and ice started. It normally was less than an hour round trip, but took four hours that night, with black ice on the autobahn. We didn't get home until 1 am, and only had orange tic-tacs in the car for our Thanksgiving dinner! Like you, it was a very careful hike up the mountain. Good thing I only had one bad knee back then!
 
Aww, that's nice! My son always celebrates the luna-versary of their first date, and after six years, they got married on the anniversary of their first date, on 11-11-11!

I'm glad those staples are out for you!

Awwwww, that is sweet! My son proposed on the one year anniversary of their first date. He is a musician and we like to tease him that when he met his wife he changed from Mr. Too Cool to Mr. Mushy. :th_heehee:
 
We lived in Germany for six years for my husbands job, but Michigan is home. I haven't been back since I left, but that's only been three years. We might have been hiking up our snowy hills the same November. It was on Thanksgiving, and my husband was flying in from Russia. I left for the airport to pick him up before the snow and ice started. It normally was less than an hour round trip, but took four hours that night, with black ice on the autobahn. We didn't get home until 1 am, and only had orange tic-tacs in the car for our Thanksgiving dinner! Like you, it was a very careful hike up the mountain. Good thing I only had one bad knee back then!

Janet,
That bad snow/ice storm was the last Sunday in November 2003. Glad that all of us made it up our hills to our homes.
 
Hi Becky! How are you feeling?

Nyland, I'm feeling pretty good today -- partially because of my follow-up visit with my OS this morning -- which went very well.

He’s pleased with my progress – ROM is 110, I can straighten my leg almost straight, and I’m taking less pain meds (not the max). The steri-strips came off. His RN was surprised that I still had the remnants of the steri-strips on my knee. When we arrived at the office, there was another RTKR patient whose surgery was the same day as mine and with the same doctor. Her surgery was the 1st for that morning, and I was the next one. She already had taken her steri-strips off her leg. My leg feels much better without those steri-strips “pulling” in opposite directions.

Sooooo, I’m now OFF of Warfarin (no more Warfarin or blood checks). He suggested that I take children’s aspirin for the next 2 months – until I finish out-patient physical therapy. I’ll start out-patient PT next week. NOW I can go to the mall and walk for more exercise. YEA ! ! ! Oh, and he said that the point that I feel comfortable (and safe) driving is my decision. There’s no rush, as far as I’m concerned. We went out to lunch to celebrate my freedom from being restricted to home. :yay: Sleeping at night is still sporadic. Last night I was comfortable, but didn’t get to sleep until after 1:00. Now I can start massaging my knee more fully – with lotion. :)

I've begun writing an account of my "RTKR journey" -- pre-surgery, surgery/hospital, and post-surgery. When I get it online somewhere (up to this point) I'll post the link. We're thinking of putting it as a "page" on our (Liam and my) "what's happening in our neck of the woods" website. That way I can update it as I go along.
 
Janet,
That bad snow/ice storm was the last Sunday in November 2003. Glad that all of us made it up our hills to our homes.

This would have been a couple of years later. I'm glad tohear you're doing okay. I'll be watching for your blog. I'll just be posting here.
 
Becky,

Glad to hear you are healing well! Freedom never felt so good, has it? Just to be able to get out a bit is refreshing - wait until you drive!! First time, you are a little scared about it (at least I was :th_heehee:). Just take a small trip (even if it is up and down the drive) do what it takes to make you feel comfortable. I start going into work tomorrow (for 2 hours) and will make sure I go AFTER the rush hour - not ready for all the crazy drivers yet!

Can't wait to read your journal. Keep up the good work!!
 
Janet & Vivian, thanks. It is DEFINITELY good to get out. :yes 4:

Well, I'm 4 weeks post-op now. So I guess this is a brief "how I'm doing" post too.

Liam and I went to the mall this morning, and walked for 30 minutes. Next time I think I'll see how I do "carrying the cane", but not actually using it. If I feel unsteady, I'll use it. Today I seemed to put too much pressure on my left arm and wrist using it. I don't need to use it around the house, so it might be better without it. We'll see. My first outpatient PT is this Friday at 8:00 AM.

I've been feeling some prickly areas in my knee and the right side of my right calf. My leg felt as if a fly had landed on it. Later in the evening my leg felt as my hand does when I sleep with it in the wrong position, it "goes to sleep", and is starting to wake up. Maybe a couple of the nerves are trying to "wake up". It's not painful.

I seem to be sleeping more at night now, though last night it seemed to go back to my having trouble getting into a comfortable position. Sometimes I get in a comfortable position, but just lie there for a couple of hours before finally going to sleep.

Meds -- After coming home from rehab, I started taking the Tylenol (like Vicodin) 3 times a day -- 8:00 in the morning, somewhere around early afternoon, and then before I go to bed. Then I have the alarm set for 4:00 AM to take the oxy-codone (Sp.). After a week, I tried leaving off the early morning alarm, and it worked for a couple of nights -- then didn't work. I'd wake up around 5:30 AM with my knee hurting. So we have the 4:00 AM alarm continuing for awhile longer. Meanwhile last week I started skipping the Tylenol in the middle of the day because my leg/knee didn't hurt. Occasionally if we're "out and about" -- like last Saturday when we walked the mall for 30 minutes (my first time), and I went to church for the first time since my surgery that Sunday -- I took a Tylenol when we got back home. I'm surprised that I'm doing OK with that "pain med" schedule, but I'm not complaining. I make sure to take a Tylenol at least 30 minutes before PT, but that's usually in the morning -- so far. Liam is still fixing meals, doing the laundry, etc. He usually does the laundry, but has started experimenting with meals/recipes -- nothing complicated, but occasionally very creative and still yummy. :th_heehee:

I won't be playing the organ at church for awhile. The main delay will be getting to the point that my right leg can "dangle" while sitting on the organ bench -- AND I can sit through the service without having to get up and walk around the back of the church for a few minutes -- like I did last Sunday. Liam is doing wonderfully substituting as organist for me.:friends:

The OS said that I can drive at the point that I feel comfortable doing so, but there's no rush. Liam does NOT like grocery shopping, but I don't feel like lugging groceries back to the car and back home -- yet.
 
Becky, It is shocking to me that a month has already gone by! I imagine going through it time seems to slow down to a crawl at times. And that this month ahead before surgery is going to somehow speed up on me!

It sounds like you are coming along pretty well. I'm so pleased for you!
 
:hapydancsmil:Great report, Becky! You are really coming along very well. Had to be a real pleasure to get back to church and have a brief outing at the mall. Makes life seem more normal and lets you know that you really are improving. When you finally decide you're ready to drive, you will really feel liberated.

It's good that you can control most of your pain with Tylenol and that you're beginning to sleep better. But watch out for :dev-godseesaw: the ups and downs and don't be discouraged by the occasional sleepless night or bad day--they pass pretty quickly.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Becky, I am so glad to hear your positive report!:biggrin: 4 weeks? Can you believe it? You are on the other side and progressing! What a wonderful feeling that must be!:yahoo: You are an inspiration to many on this form!:friends: Walking the mall for 30 mins in 4 weeks? OMG! That was quite an accomplishment!:thumb: I wish you continued success in your recovery!:wubroses:
 
Becky! I can't believe it's been 4 weeks already:yes 4:!

I'm 12 weeks in and I have plenty of these lightening bolts going thru my legs ... Nerves looking for their little friends. :thumb:

Keep on posting your progress. I find it interesting how everyone eventually finds the right combo of pain meds. I'm doing well with the BoneSmart cocktail, and I supplement it at night with a Tramadol or 2 -- not for the knees, but for my calves and feet!!
 
Becky, It is shocking to me that a month has already gone by! I imagine going through it time seems to slow down to a crawl at times. And that this month ahead before surgery is going to somehow speed up on me!

It sounds like you are coming along pretty well. I'm so pleased for you!

Janet, thanks.

Recovery time DOES seem to be going at a slow crawl. I have to remind myself what week I'm on. It's amazing that it's been a whole month. You're right too about the time before surgery seems to rush by. There's soooo much to do and so many appointments before the big day.:flowerysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom