TKR Recovering in Western North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacky, I end up massaging my knee and leg a log these days. It needs a lot of love while recuperating from surgery. It definitely helps ease the pain, tight muscles in my leg, etc. I figure that at the very least - it distracts the nerves in my knee enough to ease the pain. We can always talk to our knees after they've been "through a rough time". :th_heehee:
 
Becky, you've got the right idea! Our body parts do need a talking to and a good massaging now and then so we don't think we're just a brain!:th_heehee: That's why I am thinking up a name for each of them so they'll know which one I'm praising and which one I'm scolding!:hysterical:
 
Becky, you've got the right idea! Our body parts do need a talking to and a good massaging now and then so we don't think we're just a brain!:th_heehee: That's why I am thinking up a name for each of them so they'll know which one I'm praising and which one I'm scolding!:hysterical:

Jacky, have you decided on a name for each of them yet? Do let us know. :loll:
 
6 Week post-surgery update:

Last Sunday Liam and I โ€œsharedโ€ the morning service โ€“ as a transition for me in playing for the service next Sunday to make sure that Magrat and I are ready. I played the prelude and during the first part of the service, and when we got back from receiving the Eucharist we switched places. He played for the last part of the service and the postlude, and I sat in the choir and sang. I DID get up from the organ during the sermon and walk a bit in the back of the church, and changed the position of my leg/knee every few minutes along with swinging my legs back and forth and in circles (another exercise). I still managed to listen to the sermon and pay attention during the rest of the service โ€“ particularly when it was time for a hymn. :loll: All in all, it went well. :dancy:

We went out for lunch with a couple of friends on Tuesday to Pisgah Inn on top of Mt. Pisgah. Theyโ€™re on the Blue Ridge Parkway and are usually only open from mid-to-late Spring until sometime in the Autumn โ€“ depending on the year and the snow/ice season. So I got some exercise on steps. Actually at PT on Tuesday, she had me doing some beginning stair exercises, and my knee felt OK with it. At Pisgah Inn I mostly used the โ€œgood leg up and bad leg downโ€ method when going up the stairs. On the way out to the parking lot I used the ramp provided. I DID practice on a step here and there during the day โ€“ just to remind myself that itโ€™s starting to get better.

Iโ€™m also still walking at the mall 2-3 times a week. Itโ€™s ยฝ mile around once โ€“ including the 4 short side areas which include general exits.
 
Becky, I haven't come up with the names yet! I guess I was holding of or procrastinating and saving the task for the last week! I'd better get a move on or else they'll feel like orphans when I adopt them!:th_heehee:
How's you progress going? Good I hope! Actually I hope great!:friends:
 
As I was posting my response you gave an update on your progress, looking good Becky, looking good! Here's wishing you continued success!:friends:
 
Becky, I haven't come up with the names yet! I guess I was holding of or procrastinating and saving the task for the last week! I'd better get a move on or else they'll feel like orphans when I adopt them!:th_heehee:
How's you progress going? Good I hope! Actually I hope great!:friends:

Jacky, thanks for the laugh, and the encouragement (your 2nd post). I'm sure you'll think of appropriate names for them. It might "come to you" while you're in la-la-land in the hospital before you go home. :th_heehee:
 
Another update -- I finally got up enough energy to do a couple of updates. :dev-godseesaw::sigh:

Complications having nothing to do with knee surgery โ€“ Last week I started having what felt like a minor sinus infection. It happens occasionally (maybe once in a year or two). I take some sinus/allergy medicine, it goes away, and Iโ€™m fine. Not this time. My dentistโ€™s office is closed on Fridays, and โ€“ of course โ€“ it got much worse over the weekend โ€“ feeling like it covered from my right upper teeth to the side of my face. So I called his office Monday morning, saw him at noon, and left with an Rx for an antibiotic to take for 10 days. Iโ€™m to see him again this next Tuesday. WELL, today I called his office because it has NOT gotten better. So he called in a different antibiotic โ€“ to take along with the FIRST antibiotic. When I went to the pharmacy to pick up the 2nd Rx, I talked to the pharmacist โ€“ with the point being that she affirmed what I already โ€œknewโ€ โ€“ that the antibiotic (the 1st one particularly) kills bacteria โ€“ INCLUDING the good bacteria that helps prevent yeast infections. She said that the new meds arenโ€™t as bad about that as the 1st one. Sooooo, Iโ€™m going to have yogurt protein shakes for breakfast, yogurt for snacks, yogurt for dessert. Weโ€™ve been using yogurt in our morning protein shakes, but Iโ€™ll definitely eat more now.

Yesterday, we went out to dinner with a group of friends (9 of us) to dinner and to enjoy a performance of RiverDance. It was a wonderful evening โ€“ the music, the dancing, etc. I DID find myself occasionally thinking โ€“ โ€œOUCH ! Some of them are likely to be facing TKR surgery in their future.โ€ Irish dancing like that is beautiful, but hard on the joints. :dancy::dancy::dancy::dancy:

Anyway we had a great time, and Magrat actually did well โ€“ until we got back home. Between my knee/leg and the right side of my face it took awhile to go to sleep. We sat up for awhile anyway to โ€œwind downโ€ from the energy level in the performance.

Oh, yes โ€“ I went to outpatient PT this morning, and my passive ROM is now 130ยบ. It was 116ยบ when I started outpatient PT there. Iโ€™ve started going 20-30 minutes early and using the stationary bike for about 20 minutes to warm up โ€“ with no added resistance. It feels like enough resistance even set on # 1.
 
Just a great update, Becky. You are doing so well---and that ROM is terrific! (There are some out there who would kill for it.)

Love Riverdance---love the dancing and the music. Glad you enjoyed it, and that Magrat didn't cause too much trouble.

After 10 days of yogurt several times a day, you may never want to see any again!:th_heehee: But it beats getting a yeast infection.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Great report, Becky!!! You're doing so well......I know that makes you happy. You'll be back to doing all the things you want to do in no time!
 
Great Becky, you're doing great! I look forward to being on the other side!:biggrin:

Jacky, thanks.

Wow ! Time has flown. You'll be on the other side by next weekend. Hope that you enjoy this weekend and have plenty of time to relax -- good family & friends, & good food. :friends::coffee::choc::bathtub::wubroses:
 
Judy & Jamie, thanks.

Actually I already HAVE the yeast infection. At the moment it seems like there's too much going on - with the added sinus infection and now this. :sigh::gaah::arghh: The sinus infection seems to be responding to the antibiotics FINALLY. So I'm looking forward to being through with them by the middle of next week -- after I see the dentist again.

Yogurt -- yogurt -- yogurt -- and more yogurt. Oh, and water -- water -- water -- and more water.

The good news for the day is that I went to the mall (once around the perimeter is 1/2 mile) and walked around it TWICE. Soooo I walked a mile this morning -- first time since my surgery. :yahoo: Then I had a cup of coffee and conversation with the regular mall-walker group. :coffee::grouphug2:

Have a wonderful weekend, y'all.
 
Awe man a sinus infection like that is the pits! I only had one like that last year and I thought I was going to die! My whole jaw was so painful, ear canal and cheek were swollen, a real mess! I do wish you a quick recovery on that whole mess so it will let you enjoy the weekend.

You are doing fantastic at the mall! It must be great on the healing side of knee replacement! Good for you!:friends:
 
That is awesome that you walked a mile today! :thumb: I do hope that your sinks infection and yeast infections pass quickly. :friends:
 
Jacky & BJ -- thanks. Walking a mile around the inside of the mall started my day off with a wonderful feeling. With the infections, it helps to get the reminder of the first GOOD part. :friends::ThankYou:

My dear hubby is going to go grocery shopping and get me a lot of yogurt and cranberry juice. Meanwhile I think I'll call the dentist. Their office is closed on Fridays and, of course, this is Memorial Day weekend. So they will be closed on Monday too. So I'll call his emergency # (his personal phone #). He told me last Tuesday that it's OK for patients to call when there's a problem. I'm going to ask about discontinuing the FIRST antibiotic (which tends to be a bigger problem in causing yeast infections) and continuing the SECOND antibiotic. The sinus infection feels better today. I decided to skip taking the noon dose of the 1st antibiotic today. So I'll see what he says.

Thanks for listening. It definitely helps to vent. :hairpulling:
 
Sorry to hear you are juggling so much, Becky. I just finished taking Cipro for a bladder infection and was given a pill to take on the last day to prevent a yeast infection. Hope it works!
 
Hope the infection improves for you.
And fantastic about walking around the mall!
 
Hey Becky!

I hope you are feeling better and looking forward to church tomorrow. I have been away for a bit. My 42 year old nephew died from lung cancer! Cigarettes :( :(

I tried hard not to do too much while I was away and I managed to stay fairly pain free. My precious sister was taking care of me!

I got back in time to make it to my doctor's appt for 6 week check up. X-rays showed everything aligned the way he wanted! The Incision is healing properly and he is happy with my progress. I told him I like him a lot better than I did 2 weeks ago! I don't go back for another month. I will start water exercises this week. No more PT. I am using the little bike pedal thing that sits on the floor for at least 30 mins a day. It is small and portable so I was able to take it to my sister's. I think the best thing is walking. I haven't measured distances but I walk at least 30 minutes at a time. Sitting for more than about 20 minutes starts that achey breaky feeling back up! So, I get up and walk around for a few minutes. The 2 hour ride to my sister's house was interesting!! I am still not driving because I am taking the pain meds. Thank you Lord for children and grandchildren!!

Here is to recovery from all infections and a future with happy knees!
 
Janet and Elisea -- thanks.

I'm not sure if the yeast infection is better, but it's not itchy. We were outside in the heat this morning (90ยบ F -- 90+ actually), so I take that as a good sign. Liam did better than getting me a lot of yogurt and cranberry juice. The sales person in the health products at EarthFare (an organic type of grocery store) suggested pro-biotic pills and cranberry capsules (concentrated cranberries in a capsule). She said that both would help a lot faster than eating yogurt and drinking cranberry juice all the time. It's also much easier. One of each in the morning, and I'm taking one of each in the evening too.It's sooo much more convenient, and I am less likely to gain weight from eating so much yogurt.

@ Janet, hope that the pill they gave you prevents a yeast infection, and that the bladder infection is GONE.

@ Elisea, how are you doing? You'll be on the other side soon. Positive thoughts and prayers for you.

I'm looking forward to walking in the mall again on Monday -- soooo much cooler. :biggrin:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom