TKR Recovering in Western North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Organist - RTKR in April

Thank you so much, Other Organist you're a great guy to report back to us since I've been on all day watching for her post. So happy everything went well for you both!:yahoo:Wish her well for us when you see her next and God bless you for being there for her! Stay well and safe!:biggrin:

Best regards,
Jacky
 
Re: Organist - RTKR in April

Thanks for letting us know. I hope she has a comfortable night. We'll be looking for more news tomorrow!
 
Glad surgery is in the past. Look forward to more progress reports!
 
I just found your post. Becky and I had surgery the same day. I hope she is doing well. I was better the first few days home than I am now. I am so weak. Thank goodness for Bonesmart. This too shall pass! My love to the both of you!
 
Hi Organist! Well, congratulations! You're now "on the other side," and the only way is up. Sure, you've got a lot of work ahead of you, and considerable recovery, but the surgery is done! I'm happy for you.
By the way, my family and I used to go down your way each year for our vacation. We planned the trip at the time of the Gem and Mineral Show in Franklin which we all loved; we also went whitewater rafting on the Nantahala! You live in a beautiful area ..... I envy you.
Again ...... congratulations ....... we'll wait to hear from you.:yes 4:
 
Becky finally here.

Thanks, everyone for your thoughts, encouragement, and prayers. They have helped tremendously. I was in the hospital until Friday (13th) when I was transferred late afternoon to a rehab center near our home.

I didn't even think about using the laptop until I moved to the rehab center. However I was sharing a small room with a roommate and there was no room to keep anything that big. I mainly tried getting on the internet with my android cell phone. :hairpulling: Most of the time I was doing good to either call someone and talk -- or play games.

I came home from the rehab center yesterday afternoon, and am finally back on the internet. I'll catch up more with all of you later. I'm doing better. Talk to y'all later. Thanks again.
 
Hi Becky! Glad you are back in touch. Pain control is my biggest problem. I came home on the 12th. Started home PT on 13th. I do just great during PT but about 2 hours later....ouweee! I am still in that "ouweee" stage from yesterday's session. So, I am boycotting PT until I see the surgeon on Tuesday. I keep wondering if I should have gone to in-pt physical therapy instead of straight home. At the time I wanted to come home! So I did and now I will just move on from here but ....ouwee!! I hope all is well with you!! Thanks to your hubby for letting us know you came through with flying colors! Looking forward to an update!

Patti
 
Becky, so glad to hear from you! Rest up and tell us all about it when you are ready:console:
 
Hi Becky!
Great to hear from you. After your husband posted, I kept looking for you. You must be so glad to be home. I look forward to reading your updates.
Hi Patti!
You sound like you are doing so well, other than a few (severe) ouchies. Why are you thinking that you should have gone to inpatient PT? Just curious. Half of the people that I know, thought it was very beneficial, the other half thought it was a terrible experience.
Glad you both are on the road to recovery and have your surgeries behind you. Wishing you both a great, ouch-free night.
 
Hi Becky! Glad you are back in touch. Pain control is my biggest problem. I came home on the 12th. Started home PT on 13th. I do just great during PT but about 2 hours later....ouweee! I am still in that "ouweee" stage from yesterday's session. So, I am boycotting PT until I see the surgeon on Tuesday. I keep wondering if I should have gone to in-pt physical therapy instead of straight home. At the time I wanted to come home! So I did and now I will just move on from here but ....ouwee!! I hope all is well with you!! Thanks to your hubby for letting us know you came through with flying colors! Looking forward to an update!

Patti

Patti, glad that your surgery went well too.

I'm working on my pain control "schedule" too. It was harder in the rehab facility (also a nursing home). My room was on the end of the orthopedic section and also the END of the line in the whole facility in getting anything -- meds, food, etc. So if I didn't call and ask for pain meds before 7 am, it was usually between 8:30 and 9 am before the nurse made it to us with meds. I was scheduled to get an extra pain med every morning at 6:00 which would have been in time, but they skipped it if I was asleep when they checked. After I asked them to make a note to "wake me up" at 6:00 to ask if I needed it that I was finally able to get it in time to help. That took care of "starting the mornings" better.

Today I talked to the home-health nurse who said that taking a Flexeril (sp.?) tablet would help with relaxing the muscles -- particularly AFTER PT. I decided to try one tonight to see if I get more sleep. In Rehab, I didn't get much sleep the first night, but after that it was easier -- waking occasionally when my leg started getting sore.

I spent a lot of time (a few minutes here and there) gently massaging around the stapled "zipper". I also used a bit of Effleurage as a massage -- a French word meaning "to skim" or "to touch lightly on". Once in awhile a staff member would ask me if I was "playing with" my knee, and I'd tell him/her what I was doing.

As for going to a rehab facility first, they had some equipment that I wouldn't have had at home. So I figured it would give me a "jump start". However I am GLAD to be home so that I can spread the exercises out to suit how my knee feels at the time -- and NOT have it go past uncomfortable into pain that lasted too long.

The doctor used a femoral block on my leg for the surgery. So I wasn't even able to get up until Wednesday. After that they started doing a little exercise with me which mostly involved my getting up (with assistance) to go to the toilet and sitting in a chair for awhile to start working on ROM. Since I didn't get to the Rehab facility until 4 pm Friday, I didn't even get a PT evaluation until Sunday morning, and didn't start PT until Monday morning. So my leg had 3 more days than you did before starting active PT.

I'm glad that we have each other here with our other friends on this continuing journey "on the other side". I'm SOOOO glad to be through the surgery and back home. One day at a time now.:friends:
 
Nyland, Janet2012, PooShay, Amberpep, Jamie, Lisa, & Jacky -- thanks.

I'm thinking about starting a blog (or something like that) as I go through this journey. I did something like that when I went through peri-menopause, except that for that I had it in a file as a journal.

Amber, we spent a week in the Poconos in Pennsylvania for our honeymoon. It was much cooler than the summer heat and humidity of the LowCountry of South Carolina where we lived at the time. If you head down to Western North Carolina anytime, maybe we could get together for lunch or a cup of coffee, etc.

Hope that you all have a good weekend -- whatever is left of it in your "neck of the woods".
 
Hey Becky, I 've been watching for your entries and I'm so glad to hear from you! Fantasic news to know that you are safe at home in your comfort zone! That hubby of yours is a gem! I was on pins and needles waiting to hear from you after you RTKR and when he reported back to us I said to made, "Wow, this guy is awesome!" You got a keeper there! Good for you!

I wish you a fast and easy recovery!:friends: You are now on the other side!:thumb: Rest, relax and go slow, this is not a race! Oh yea, and ice, ice and more ice!:wubroses:
 
Thanks, Jacky. Your reminder to "rest, relax and go slow" is a good reminder. Yesterday morning I was relaxing in front of the TV and kept falling asleep and having to "rewind" whatever program I was watching (one of those home improvement things) I was watching. We have Direct TV and are able to rewind or fast forward through commercials (if we have some saved up minutes "paused"). I think I fell asleep about once every couple of minutes. So I have NO recollection of what I was watching. One of my sisters called, we talked for awhile (I managed to stay awake for the phone call), and asked her to call me back in an hour to make sure that I could wake up again. Then I got up, fixed a cup of coffee which helped me wake up a bit more. lolol -- Liam was "out" part of the day, but I slept and relaxed most of that time anyway -- and took it slow and carefully around the house whenever I got up.
 
Becky,
Please let me know if you blog about your recovery. It is easier to follow a story when it is all in one place. A member, Robin, has a blog that I very much enjoyed.
Take care of yourself!
 
Becky, that's great news! I'm glad you're going slow, because that's exactly what I plan to do! I'm no heroine, and I don't need to go against the clock, and you don't either! Live, Love, Laugh is my motto! Life's to short for anything else!:flowerysmile:
I wish you a speedy recovery my dear!:friends:
 
Hi Organist .... I'm delighted to hear you're doing so well .... give yourself plenty of time to rest (and for me it was almost a year before I felt like myself). It's a major trauma to your whole body. But the only way is up now for you ..... YEA! Funny you went to the Poconos ..... I came from Lancaster and we often would go up there to "leaf peep" in Fall. I'm divorced now and have thought about renting a small place around Sapphire or Franklin to go to the Gem Show and to Whitewater raft - I absolutely LOVED rafting. Now that I'm alone, while I've looked on line, somehow the thought of doing all those things without a partner feels strange. One of my girls and her hubby said they'd go with me and split the cost, so that may happen sometime. I love N.C. My favorite place to eat was in Franklin at a little place called The Sunset Restaurant .... a real hometown place with wonderful bar-b-q and "sweet tea." I've been drinking "sweet tea" ever since. I've often thought of moving down there, but my 3 kids go crazy when I tell them that.
Get lots of rest ..... I literally used to fall asleep while I was drinking a cup of tea and would only wake up when the tea was running down my chin! Ye Gads! Keep on keepin' on ...... you're doing GREAT! :yay:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom