TKR Recovering in Western North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Becky,

Glad you are doing well and recovering. Take it one day at a time and you will be fine!! I've been looking for your posts - just want to make sure you are doing great!

Hang in there and have a WONDERUL day!!!:loll:
 
Becky,
Please let me know if you blog about your recovery. It is easier to follow a story when it is all in one place. A member, Robin, has a blog that I very much enjoyed.
Take care of yourself!

Nyland,

I'll let you know when I start it. I agree -- having "the story" in one place helps to follow what's happening, and will remind me of how far I've come and the small victories on the other side.:friends:
 
Amber, thanks. We stayed in a newly renovated motel nearby which was very nice. Several times we ate breakfast at the diner at the Lackawanna Hotel in East Stroudsburg, and lunch at the little restaurant next to the railroad. We almost felt that we were “regulars” at breakfast – known as those nice folk on their honeymoon. The locals kept commenting about how HOT it was that June. Being from the LowCountry of South Carolina (before we married and moved to Western North Carolina) we thought it was very nice weather – perfect for our honeymoon. :loll:

As for falling asleep, I find myself dreaming of picking up something and suddenly I’m awake and picking up something that’s not there. After my dad had his knee replacement surgery, he “dreamed” that he was picking peaches and eating them. He said they tasted wonderful. Later he told us he was “pulling our leg”. We were never sure if he conscious and “pulling our leg” or hallucinating being in a peach grove. He had a big smile on his face at the time though. :flowerysmile:

If you’re coming this way sometime, be sure to let me know. :friends:
 
The staples will come out tomorrow morning. The home health nurse came out this morning and completed all of the beginning paperwork – plus basic checkup (including blood test for Warfarin). I just don’t seem to have ANY energy to do anything much. I’m just got on the computer for the day shortly after 9:00 pm. I’m ready to go to bed. However things are going well – for this first stage of recovery. Pain is fairly well under control. I thought I’d try to catch up with this thread before retiring for the night. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll have more energy to catch up on your threads too. You all are in my thoughts and prayers – wherever you are in the process.
 
I bet it will be nice to get those staples out. My doc uses wound glue. I hope it sticks! Good luck and take it easy with PT.
 
Look'n good Becky, look'n good! Good luck tomorrow!:friends:You sound like you're in great spirits! Wishing you a speedy recovery!:thumb:
 
Becky,

I am so glad that you are doing so well! Keep up the good work!:biggrin:
 
Becky....sounds like you are doing just what you're supposed to be doing....RESTING big time!!! Don't give it a thought if you snooze half the day and night. That is perfectly proper for recovery.
 
Hi! Becky, Happy you're home and doing well at this stage of the game. And the "tireds" will be with you for a while. This surgery really takes it out of you and then the healing takes whatever is left---leaving you TIRED.

Just remember the BoneSmart mantra---pain meds on a schedule, rest, elevate (toes above nose) and ice, ice, ice. And keep that constipation monster at bay with stool softeners and whatever else works for you (it can be worse than the surgery if it gets away from you).

You're in our thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted. We care.
 
Janet, Jacky, Nyland, Sonja, Jamie, & Judy – thanks.

The staples came out fine. With 34 staples, some came out with no notice and a few came out with a bit of a twinge – but it wasn’t bad. It’s sooooo nice to have steri-strips rather than those staples. I had my first at-home PT. She figures that she’ll come 3 times this week, then twice a week for the rest of the time that I’m on home-health – 2 or 3 more weeks, I think. My next appt with the OS is May 10th .

@ Janet, it will be interesting to see how the wound glue does. It evidently works well – with each OS using whatever method he/she prefers.

@ Jamie – I’m definitely having no trouble nodding off during the day. We have Direct TV. So I’ll be sitting there watching HGTV (“first home buyers” or “house hunters international”) or a cooking channel program (no plot) – and I find myself backing up the program because I fell asleep and want to see what house the people finally decided to buy, or what they did to make that particular recipe. Then when the commercials come on I fast-forward through the commercial only to realize that I fell asleep during the minute it takes to fast-forward through the commercials, and have to back it up until I find the point that I fell asleep again. :loll:

On a totally different note – yesterday – being the 23rd of the month – was our luna-versary. Our anniversary is on June 23rd, but on the 23rd of each month we usually go out for lunch to celebrate our lunaversary. This time, Liam went to Viva Deli and brought home turkey-pastrami sandwiches with pickles and cole slaw. Viva Deli is a Jewish deli with an “Asheville attitude” – mostly traditional, but with some creative eclecticity. They have the best pastrami that we’ve found in the area. :coffee:

Well, I’m off to take a nap. :sleep:
 
Awesome Becky! Your hubby sure know how to get to your heart and your tummy!:thumb: What a guy! I know what you say about when you watch your shows and doze off, heck I do that now and I didn't even go through my op yet or I'm not on any loopy drugs yet! I can only imagine what my hubby will deal with! A lot of quit suppers for sure, as I will enjoy the snoozes!:sleep:
Go slow kiddo! The slower you go the faster you heal! That's the joy of being our age, we're not in a rush to get anywhere!:friends:
 
Aww, that's nice! My son always celebrates the luna-versary of their first date, and after six years, they got married on the anniversary of their first date, on 11-11-11!

I'm glad those staples are out for you!
 
I "graduated" to using a cane rather than the walker yesterday. It's been easier getting around our home without the cumbersome walker -- but that was a wonderful "tool" while I needed it. Tomorrow (Friday) my PT said that we might try the 3 steps from the front porch to the sidewalk. That's assuming, of course, that the thunderstorms we've been having is GONE.

My hubby is definitely a "winner". We (and our families) have the same off-the-wall sense of humor -- which helps soooo much. We've been using it a lot in approaching this whole process creatively. I can't vouch for anything I said while in "la-la-land" after surgery, but according to Bill (who sometimes goes by Liam), I did fine. He said that he translated all of my answers to the medical staff's questions that first evening in the hospital. I'm glad that HE knew what I was saying. :th_heehee:
 
Good for you Becky and hubby Bill! What a happy team you make! That and a positive attitude is half the battle! The rest comes from your core, which I sense is very strong!:yahoo: Ata girl! Wishing you continued progress and a speedy recovery!:friends:
 
Know what you mean about the walker just sorta always getting in the way around the house. I gave mine up 2 weeks post op. I had a cane I had gotten for my hip replacement, but since I had both knees done, I couldn't figure out which hand to hold it with. :th_heehee: Tried it with both, but neither seemed right, so I just didn't use anything. Worked out okay.

You'll do fine on the steps, it really isn't difficult and you don't have to go up or down them foot over foot if it's too difficult right now. And I certainly hope the thunderstorms you've been having are gone--'cause once you have them you send them to my house here in the coastal plain. We needed the rain---but the wind---can't keep my yard picked up.

Love you lunaversaries. I think that's such a romantic idea. :wubroses: And happy your recovery is going so well. :thumb:

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Hope all is well and you can post soon. I know the next couple of days will be ruff but well worth it. Remember take a deep breath when hurting and watch a good movie. Its works. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Jackie, Judy, & Tashia -- thanks.

The thunderstorms have gone away.

@ Jackie, Liam has been good about fixing meals for both of us, etc. It helps that we have the same sense of humor.

@ Judy, I don't know if you got any of the rain. Hope that you get some needed rain, but not too much too quick.

@ Tashia, we watched a couple of movies this afternoon. We've found that when we're really tired, it's good to put on a movie that you like and have seen so many times that you'll doze off several times throughout the movie and know exactly what's happening when you wake up briefly.
 
My question at this moment is -- How long do you usually have and NEED steri-strips across the wound?

I've been really good about keeping it dry when washing, and they feel and look like they're going to last a month or more. It's been 1-1/2 weeks, and there's NO sign of them doing anything other than "gripping tighter" to my leg around the knee. I have a sensitivity to bandages. These usually don't bother me, but then I've never had steri-strips on for this long on an area that moves as much as the knee. At this point it feels like a slight burning feeling under some of them -- around the outer sides. I will ask the nurse too, but she won't be here until Wednesday.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom