TKR Recovering & Getting Ready for #2

We're in Pacific Palisades - between Santa Monica and Malibu - kind of a nice armpit of the Santa Monica Bay!! Love it here. So are you scheduled for a knee and, if so, where and by whom? And I look forward to hearing your fears - we'll see if we can dispell a few of them! :flwrysmile:
 
Pacific Palisades?!!! Oh well la dee da..:rotfl: thats no arm pit!!! :heehee: I would love it there also!
I'm not scheduled yet. Two surgeries have been canceled due to infection & flu. Then my doctor up and retired on me. So now I have to shop for a new guy. I'm with Kaiser group, and will have to research a new doctor because I'm not trusting enough to see some guy right out of school. I want the MAN who does the most surgeries in Kaiser. hah Stay tuned, company will leave tonight and by tomorrow sometime you will know how nuts I have made myself over this knee surgery stuff.:yikes: :boohoo: :sos:
 
A friend at church had his knees done at Kaiser a couple years ago - probably the west LA location on the 10 freeway. He went back last year for a hip. Do you want me to get his name? And you are so right about not wanting a newbie straight out of school. As everyone will tell you, the more they've done, probably the batter for you.
 
Thanks for the offer, but I'll have to stick to the valley doctors as they are easier to get to.
As for my fears, I don't want to high jack this thread, but I don't know where my old thread is in order to talk about myself.:angel:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Recovering & Getting Ready for #2
Finding your thread. scaredinCA, just hover you mouse over you user name at the top of the page, click on "Your Profile Page" . Once there click on "Information" and scroll down. You will see a place to "Find all threads by scaredin CA". Click and then click on the thread you want. Usually takes you to the first page, so you may have to go to the last page to start your post.
 
Hi Lynn! We got lost from each other ha!
Looks like you are doing super! To be talking about feet instead of knees is probably a positive right?
Your trip sounds neat and you held up. That is great.
I'm having knee #2 done on June 19th at Cedars, still Dr. Spitzer, long story will put on my own thread but I'm happy with my decision and super anxious to get this over with!
Great we are getting some nice weather...maybe minus the wind. Roses, peonies, daisies, lavender hydrangeas camellias its all blooming and growing. Yeah!
It's a little hard to keep up with everyone once you are working full time huh? We do our best!
Marianne
 
Marianne! Welcome back. So glad you have a date scheduled! I'm sure you will share why you are staying with Dr. S and glad you are happy with the decision. Hope the semester is going well and you are becoming more agile on the stairs.
 
Ah.... here you are Lynn! I'm really happy to hear that your daughter is doing much better time. Did she have fusion or something like that?

You seem to be doing really well in your recovery kiddo! It sounds like you had a really nice trip visiting with your mom, sisters & old friends, and your knees were of great help to you!:thumb: Isn't it beautiful when you can do the things you want to do without the god awful knee pain!
 
OMG it was wild hearing from Lynn in the hospital and home. My Dad heard me talking and said WHO'S LYNN hahahaha! Your voice sounds just like I would have pictured it and our joking back and forth seemed right on key. Oh how refreshing!!!! No one but "one of us" understands this process!!!When describing something, you don't have to explain it all. I just keep nodding off now though. I tried taking the oxy long acting instead of doubling, to take it 3 times a day instead of doubling the dose. Now if I could just figure out my "floater"!!!!!
 
Here I are Jacky! (intentional bad grammar) Kelley (daughter) is having a remarkable recovery. She has a spondeliothesis (sp??) in her lower back which basically means one of her discs is oddly shaped and slips out of alignment. We discovered the situation about 12 years ago while she was still playing soccer in middle and high school. Eventually she will need fusion surgeries but is putting it off as long as possible because with each fusion, there will be more wear on the next joint and then that one will need fusing, etc. Two years ago, they recommended and she had a risotomy, where they go in and burn the nerve endings to eliminate the pain. Apparently, you don't need to feel it. She had an excruciating 10 days of pain after that, but actually had about 2 years of relief until the nerves started to regenerate. So Wednesday, she had another risotomy. I am so delighted for her because she has had virtually no pain this time! Perhaps because the nerves had not fully regenerated.

I guess that falls into the category of TMI! But between her back, my sainted hubby's neck and back, and my neck and back, we have this ortho group on speed dial!
 
Marianne Brownie! teehee! It was great to speak with you again yesterday. Yup, laughter is the best medicine, especially with a surgery and recovery like this. I hope your dad was able to fix the plumbing issue - or did he give in and call a professional? My sainted hubby long ago learned he was inept with a plunger and wrench - or rather, I forbade him to pick them up again. Years ago, we were peeling potatoes and figured we could just put them peels through the garbage disposal. Nay, nay! Backed everything up, sainted hubby attempted to clean it all up, back wall popped when a pipe broke (the plumbing was quite old then, in SH's defense), and the pros were called in. After they stopped laughing....

In any event - good luck with figuring out the dosage and with getting stability while working that knee into a bend. And do tell that PT what everyone on Bonesmart knows - "Don't force the bend!!" We'll stay in touch!
 
I'm glad to hear that your daughter is having a much easier recovery this time. Back and neck issues are no fun that's for sure! I often wonder, what the heck happens to our age group anyway, but your daughter being so young and all, she's in for one heck of a time when she reaches our age poor girl!
 
I've heard the rizotomy procedure is amazing for back patients. You just wonder why it is the same doctors do and don't do some procedures. My clerk/friend/coworker has a horrible back problem with so much pain but she doesn't know anything about the rizotomy.
 
That is interesting. Probably because they have not been trained in certain procedures or, the skeptic in me thinks, better profit margin is surgery than in a risotomy....
 
Wow! I have not been here in quite some time! If you feared I fell off the face of the earth - not quite. Tons of traveling all summer (and it ain't over yet!) and several huge projects have kept me moving!

I am 24 days shy of my 1 year anniversary for my right knee.:dancy: Delighted to report they keep getting better and better. I still can't kneel on them without padding, but can almost sit on my heels! Balance is almost 100%, which is a good thing - there have been some instances where people perhaps thought I had been tippling a few - by 10 am!! Not. :martini:

Moved younger daughter to Boston for her graduate program and she is just LOVING it there - the city and the program. Whew! Older daughter who just passed the California Bar last November will be arguing in front of the 9th Circuit for the 2nd time next month! Mind you, in my husband's and my combined years of lawyering, neither of us got to argue before the 9th Circuit! It just doesn't happen. Then this kid of ours not only gets to do it twice, but has a published opinion in her favor before her Bar card is even a year old!

Reroofed the house and put on solar panels! Lovely to go off the grid! Now redoing the garage interior - so it is actually safe to enter! Hope ALL are well.
 
It is hard as we all get busy and are finally able to move on. My one year is next week too. What a ride, eh! I envy you having the second one already done as I get to start at square one next month. Next summer should be wonderful.
Great news about the kids. It is so nice when they do well....
Chao for now.
 
Yay! I'm coming up on a year too. feels pretty good. Nice to hear you're doing so well Lynn.
 
Thanks Randi and Joy. You two have been pretty busy as well. Isn't it great to be able to do so much more now without the constant pain (or soon for you Joy!).
 
Back
Top Bottom