TKR Recovering & Getting Ready for #2

Lynn, that's a great report!:goodpost: Boy you sure packed in a lot last weekend for being just 4+ and 2+ months out, no wonder you were sore! Great milestones all the way around for you, congratulations!:yay:
 
Thanks everyone. My PT, the sainted Brooke, :angel: is really working my ankles and arches. I really have flat feet and it has been no surprise to me that severely impacted the knees, hips, and walk (and may well have led to the deteriortion of hips and knees in the first place). I was amazed with her work of just two days and how much it relieved ongoing pain in rt knee and helped me be able to almost get up from a chair without "pushing off!" :happydance:

Dewey, you will be along here in no time with great progress reports. I am still a huge advocate of a good massage therapist to eliminate a lot of the swelling; swelling = pain and stiffness; less swelling = more mobility. There will be a point when you actually want to get that second knee done and that attitude I think helps propel work on knee #1.
 
Dawn - the antiquing sounds like fun - but all those stairs! WTG girl! :spin:
Joy - working full time! I am impressed. No wonder those dogs were woofing. :puppysmooze: I advise a little vino therapy! lol :martini:
Randi - you will love this - for Christmas, my family got me personalized license plates - "GS4LIFE"!!! :rotfl: I was so tickled! :happydance:
 
Well Lynn.... the job is part time but I do an 8 hour shift.:groan: I worked one Saturday and then had no hours this week... next week I only have one day, Saturday. Hmmmm.... I will be doing better because of the extra time off but sure could use the money! And vino therapy is always the solution to barking dogs. :beer:
 
I can see where the 8 hour shifts would be a challenge. And a tough dichotomy - heal or work because income IS income! It sounds like you have little choice over the shifts you get assigned. Now just need to figure out how to make yourself indispensible to them!!
 
They called at noon yesterday as I was on my way out the door.... they wanted me to come in. I appologized and said no..... Once the garden center opens I will have more shifts than I want in a week. Feast or famine.... It will be okay soon. I know I am appreciated! Some days I find my knee gets very tight and some nights I have a time getting comfortable so I will not quibble about not getting more hours right now.:whistle: :wink:
 
So, are you a gardening expert? Oh, could I use you down here! I know what you mean about the tightness and getting comfortable ... one day at a time.
 
Thanks Marianne! It is still one day at a time with lots of work still to be done, but I feel like I can breathe again! Now, for you!!
 
I am far from an expert but I do know stuff.... 40 years of reading garden books and magazines. I have worked the garden center part of the store for the last 2 years, this will be my 3rd summer. We have a horticulturist and a woman who grew up in the business running the garden center. I have learned so much from them. I am pretty good giving advice to new gardeners. When I don't know the answer I call on them and they teach the customer as well as me. :SUNsmile: I love that it is an outdoor area and I spend my summer in the sun (or rain) playing with the plants. It makes work very enjoyable. It will be nice this year being able to step up the 2 steps into the shack with little difficulty when my hands are full. My new knee is getting stronger all the time. :dancy: :wink:
 
Hi Creeker13,
it is heartening to hear that even months down the line things are still improving.
Hope the weather soon warms up and you can enjoy your plants,
Take care,
Toothfairy x
 
NightQuilter I was thinking about you and so I thought I would ask how you are doing? Hope you are enjoying the Spring. take care. tashia
 
I was thinking about you too Lynn. I hope the reason we haven't heard much for a few weeks is that things are going so well you've just been too busy to check in...it happens!
 
I'm baaaackk! Took my new knees out for their first trip and it seems they did fine! A week and a half in the frozen tundra that is Pennsylvania - first Erie to see my mom, sisters & old friends, then down to Penn State for meetings and visit friends and colleagues. Then ended meeting up in Phoenix with my family for some Dodgers spring training and, far more importantly, 85 degrees to thaw out in!

The knees did ok, even though I had to pack and carry (by myself) enough for two seasons. I was able to comfortably haul in firewood for my mom - she heats her home primarily with a wood stove, so she uses a good deal of it. What a blessing to see I was able to cart it in! They are now 21 and 14 weeks old. It was good to get back to PT and have the kids massaged and worked again. Calves needed stretching too.

So how are all of my BoneSmart friends!!??
 
Woo Hoo.... Sounds like you have had a nice holiday! It is wonderful trying out your new parts and being able to do those little things most people take for granted. Good on you.
We have had a week of nice warm spring weather and sunshine here.... It was heaven working in the garden. My tan is starting and I got to work in the garden center on Good Friday and Easter Monday too.:happydance: Next week I have 3 shifts and 2 are garden center. :thumb: Rain or shine I like it!
I agree about the calves... mine have cramped for years (GP says it is my bloodpressure pills) but it has been worse with this surgery, as well as my hams are needing stretching and strengthening. It is slowly coming along!
Have a fabulous day!:egypdance:
 
I am so glad they have released you to the garden center - you must be loving it Joy! How are the legs holding up with your shifts - I recall they were a bit tough at first. We are still waiting for warmer weather in LA. So far it is still long sleeves time. My PT, the sainted Brooke, has been working me hard on stretching the hammies and calves, as well as working on ankle flexion and stability to compensate for my very flat feet. An easy one is simply balls of the feet on the edge of a step and holding onto the rail or wall (or your stepstool at work), drop one heel for 30 seconds, then the other - working up to a minute. To engage the hammies, lean forward till you feel the stretch. Gotta go take a call, but glad to hear from you and your improvements!!
 
Speaking of flat feet, I developed plantar fasitis (fasitis spelled wrong & I will look up proper spelling) which comes from flat feet, and I bought my first pair of Birkenstock sandals 15 yrs ago. The first three days was horrible because of pain, but I was told to keep wearing them and I would love them eventually. That statement proved to be very true. After the first week, my foot problems started going away, never to return. I live in these shoes, in summer, and in winter I just wear socks with my sandals. I no longer have foot pain.. Believe me when I tell you, I was in very bad pain before. I used to say that if there was a fire, I wouldn't be able to save myself because I could barely walk. You might want to give these shoes a fair try and see if they can help you the way they helped me. They're a bit pricey but worth every dollar.
 
Thanks scared - good recommendation. So far I've been able to avoid plantar fascitis(??) but everyone seems to love Birkenstock sandals that I've heard from. And I am about due to get a new pair for this summer so I definitely will take a look at them. And shall I ask what in CA you are scared of??
 
I forgot to ask where you are located in Los Angeles? I'm in No.Hollywood in the San Fernando Valley. (arm pit of the world. hahah) The Birkies have a nice footbed that molds to your foot, but it has a hard arch support that hurts like heck when you have flat feet, but you soon get used to it and no more foot pain. At least thats how it happened for me.
In reply to your question, I am afraid of several things actually, but I have company coming at any second, so I can't really go into my fears right now.:shocked: I will come back later and tell you all about them and then you'll be sorry you asked. :heehee:
 
Back
Top Bottom