Reassurance please!

Good to hear that it may not be non weight bearing, as I had that after my original infection, and it wasn't much fun (not that I'm expecting it to be fun!!). I'm actually more south London than Kent, and somebody recommended the surgeon, so fingers crossed. The original consultant I had, who told me to come straight back to him when I was ready for the replacement, has unfortunately gone totally private, and I don't have private insurance. Although I did ask the new consultant if I'd be better off rustling up the money to go private (he does both), and he said I'd be just as well sticking with the NHS. It would be Orpington hospital, which has a good reputation.

Thanks Layla - it's nice to get out and be part of life, even if I do have to sit down rather regularly!! I particularly noticed it over the Christmas period -none of those all day marathon shopping sprees. Maybe next year?

Hi @Cassidy.....I've also just had a wobble, but now I'm back on track after reassurance from Josephine and other lovely people. The really GOOD thing about all of this is that we found this forum.....I looked at several others, but they all seem to be posts about worries after the op, so fairly negative. B/S is so well-balanced.....people come back both to report on their good outcomes and to support people like us who are having second thoughts. Keep posting and eventually it will be us telling newbies how glad we are we went ahead with this very successful op! :yes!:

I don’t think you’ll regret this @Cassidy. I was 61 with left hip. Was really getting back to normal when right hip started giving me problems. I was squatting, able to get up and down, exercise, walk, ride bike and park further away to get in extra steps.

As soon as right started acting up, I got it scheduled. Was not going to end up in pain I had for length of time I had with right. I think it is helping recovery this time. Plus following bonesmart guidelines from the start. Interestingly, my doctor is using more of a bonesmart approach now than he did a year and a half ago.

I want to be in shape to enjoy these upcoming golden years!

Thank you MammaT and anny - a before and an after and both helpful. I asked a friend for advice this evening - he's had two new hips - and he asked if I'd enquired about hip resurfacing, but I think my surgeon would have mentioned it if he thought it would be a good idea - I'm not as young as my friend was. Trouble is, he's got me thinking again! Too many options!

If you go over to recovery side to mojo333 may 1 thread on the last page there is a brief discussion about resurfacing and a link to a recent article. It appears they are geared to the younger group @Cassidy.

I was 53, double hip replacement uncemented prostheses, no weight restrictions...only 9 months out...but feel confident my new hips will be forever hips.
No hip pain and back to a busy full life.
No regrets.

Thanks MammaT and Mojo333. Looks as though the resurfacing probably isn't the best option for me. I half wish friends didn't give advice, as it increases doubts. Did you find that the nature of your pain changed over time? Mine used to be mostly in my groin and lower back, but now it's more like a sciatica pain, in my buttock and down my leg into my knee and sometimes my ankle. I suppose it's just the nerve getting trapped between the two bones - I sometimes think if I could untrap it I'd be fine!! Wishful thinking, methinks.

Looks as though the resurfacing probably isn't the best option for me.
Resurfacing isn't necessarily just for younger patients. It depends on the extent of the damage to the joint. In any case, my surgeon said they don't recommend resurfacing for female patients.

Yes your pain will change with time and unfortunately it won't get better. Best to get that hip replaced before you develop a significant limp. Trying to stay off a sore hip impacts many areas.

Thanks for the advice Jaycey. Just been reading some post op stories, which have got me wondering which is preferable - general anaesthetic or spinal block. I hadn't even considered the latter, because I thought it sounded too gruesome to be conscious for, but it sounds as though a sedative blocks that side of it out. Any opinions out there?

I also found the pain changed over time @Cassidy and it steadily increased. I kept delaying my left hip, kept hoping it would get better or would tell myself it wasn’t that bad, even though I couldn’t sleep, no medication helped, driving was pure misery. At the end, I was using cane or crutches to try to relieve pressure and developed significant limp.

As my right started giving me trouble, it was a different pain pattern. My first real indication of trouble was muscles etc. in replaced leg were bothering me because I was changing my gait without being aware. I got on the schedule quickly the second time. Because I didn’t let it go on as long, I think it has helped my second recovery be somewhat easier. I have read Jaycey and others make similar observations.

Any major decision is tough, we want to make sure we are right. Hip replacement has a very high success rate. I was really starting to enjoy benefits when I needed to get other done. I know from what I experienced that I am going to have my life back very soon. I used to figure the pain was something I had to put up with because I was old. I don’t think we’re that old! (Just some of my bones).

I was more scared of the spinal than the actual op the first time around. But I can highly recommend a spinal and sedation over GA! They will put you into a nice, comfy sleep and you will wake up being wheeled out of the theatre. No groggy feeling and most people don't have the nausea that comes with GA.

If you are at all worried about being awake just tell the anaesthetist you don't want to see or hear anything. They will watch you throughout the procedure and make sure you are out for the count.

@Cassidy

The thought of a spinal and sedation scared the bejeezes out of me. I worried about knowing what was going on, if getting a needle in my back would hurt, just had a lot of concerns. When anesthesia came to wheel me to OR, they gave me something in my IV. Well, I remember NOTHING of going into OR, any surgery, doctor talking to me....I woke up in recovery without pain. The spinal was helpful with pain control for hours. I don’t know if you’ve ever had general anesthesia, but you wake up groggy, nauseated, just rough. Spinal and sedation was wonderful.

I hadn't realised that a spinal could involve sedation so that nothing could be seen/heard. I thought it was more like an epidural given during childbirth (not that I had one!), so the patient was totally aware of everything but the pain, and the thought of the sawing (?), hammering, etc., scared me too much. If it's possible to have a spinal and not be aware, that might be the answer. Thanks for your replies.

By the time I got to my surgery date, EVERYTHING hurt. Sciatica, yes. Shin at times. Lower back, groin, pick a spot.
Then, like an overall body wide inflammation.
Bad hips, bad problems.
Thankfully, can be fixed!
Hang in there.

I had been leaning toward spinal but ended up with general. Went with what center prefers. Found this time came out from under much quicker. Either way can work. Pluses and minuses with both. Main thing for me was I didn’t care to be alert during!

Hi @Cassidy I'm late to the party here too. I'm 44 and had my hip replaced Feb 6, the same day as Mascaramom. I had been in terrible paint with osteoarthritis for 12 yrs and lost all flexibility in my right hip. It was getting to the point that I couldn't walk around the block anymore. I was super nervous about having it done at such a young age, but it all came down to quality of life for me. At 66 my mother passed away in her sleep from a heart attack. We never saw it coming. If I only have 22 more yrs (or whatever time I may have) I want those years to be active. I want to be able to go for a walk and not be in pain or go biking with my daughter (who I've never been able to bike with since she's turning 12). Six days post op and besides being tired I feel better than I have in years. Looking forward to a brighter future. I hope the same for you!

:goodpost: Great post @hipster333
Fear aside, the decision does boil down to quality of life.
As sad as it is that hipster333 lost her mom at such a young age, the fact is none of us know
our length of days. So the choice quickly becomes, how do I want to live out my days?
In pain, or experience a surgery that offers me better quality of life....No brainer!
Too bad anxiety usually follows the decision to pull the trigger. But..that's what we're here for :friends:
Hope your day is great, Cassidy! @Cassidy

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom