Guest viewing is limited

Reassurance please!

Thanks @Jaycey - can't blame it on my heavy bones plus the replacement then!!
 
Getting cold feet again! My hip's been behaving far too well this week, with very little pain (although I haven't moved that much, that's true), so I'm having nagging doubts again. Can anybody who's already had the op please tell me if, after recovery, it almost feels like one's own old hip joint, but without the pain, or if it feels like a foreign body!! Only asking, because I don't know how long to hold out with my tried and trusted, albeit worn down, hip joint. My husband, needless to say, thinks I'm mad and need to make my mind up! Thanks for putting up with my neuroses.
 
Hi @Cassidy....I know only too well that feeling of "oh it's a lot better today, maybe I don't need the op".....happens several times a week and I know there are lots of others who are nodding in agreement. But you've said it yourself.....it is 'tried'....to the limit now :eeeuw:, and for how long can you 'trust' it ? There are many people who will tell you that a apparently cranky but stable joint can get considerably worse overnight, and then you face not only pain, but probably a longer rehab. I can't tell you how it will feel afterwards, I'm sure some of the others will chime in and reassure you, bu we have to remember that hips don't regenerate on their own, they can only get worse :bawl: I'm thinking of getting that tatooed on my arm to remind me! :heehee:
 
Hello @anny. Thanks for your reply. My husband said go for a walk and then see how it feels! Just been reading in the paper about the long wait for over 70s to get replacements, and then being offered cheaper joints. I'm not over 70 yet, but wonder what sort of joint I'm being given!! More to worry about. I saw your X-rays with interest - looked a bit similar to mine as I remember it. When's your op scheduled? Sounds also as though you're beset with the same doubts as me!!
 
I think you're probably still in the comparatively 'young' age group Cassidy.....I'm older than you but my surgeon still told me I was quite young to need new hips.....wasn't sure whether that was a compliment or not :chinstroke:You've hopefully got many more active years ahead of you, it's not as if you're 90 (and having said that, my dad is 92 and walks 5 miles most days, so if his hips went south he'd need some decent replacements!).... yes, I do have doubts like you....luckily today is an optimistic day :yes!:
 
@Cassidy - I’m a member of that back and forth group. I’ve had one hip replacement already. Once you get past recovery you’d never know you had it done except for the scar. At pre-op testing both sides of the hip were tested. Replacement side was great and nurse said “impressive!” Other side I moaned as soon as she started inward rotation.

I also tend to have less pain when I’m sitting around doing nothing. :)
 
Thanks @hikejunkie. I keep reading comments about sitting on ping pong balls, etc., which don't fill me with great confidence! You're younger than me. I suppose I think if I hang on the hip might see me out! (Although my Gran made 98, so maybe that's being optimistic if I follow in her footsteps - she never had any hip problems though!)
 
Hi @Cassidy. I’m recovering from second hip replacement. I let my left hip go until I was in constant pain. I do not recommend it. Once past the initial recovery phase, I felt great. I have never felt like there is anything foreign in there. It felt good. I was really, at the year point, enjoying my new life when my right hip (which I knew had problems), started impacting me. The gimping on it was making muscles in good leg go crazy.

I had some doubts because it wasn’t as bad, but having had the awful feeling after a collapse, I didn’t want that again. My surgeon told me that even though my pain was not as bad, when he got in there I had no cartilage.

I think my right recovery is going better because I didn’t let it get as bad, plus I knew what to expect. If you read through posts, most of us who have a second hip done jump much more quickly because we know the positive difference we will have.
 
Hi Cassidy. I had both hips replaced last May. They do not feel foreign at all. They don't feel, if that makes sense. They are a part of my body that I honestly can't notice. Never felt the ball in my joint and don't feel the stem in my legs. Strange actually.
For the first two weeks it was all about my incision and extremely sore thigh muscles and a fair amount of numbness...and at 6 months sore thighs when I had been particularly active, overdid it.
But now, just normal great feeling legs and hips.
I was extremely shocked that my hips had to be replaced ...didn't want prostheses inserted into my body. But I got my life back...and I plan on these lasting forever.
Hope you find peace that all can go well.
 
@Cassidy - that ping pong ball was more like a tennis ball for me but only during recovery. I had posterior approach and right in the middle of my butt cheek I could feel this tennis ball like swelling. It went away.

Sure, you can try to hang on but reality is it isn’t going to get better. It will get worse. I remember going to joint class with my first hip. There was a guy in there who would be having both hips done, 6 months apart. He had waited 12 YEARS because he didn’t want to do it until he was older. So he sat around with increasing pain levels and decreased mobility while life passed him by. He was using a walker to get around.

My waffling is due to fear. Plain and simple - I’m afraid. Who wouldn’t be. Feel the fear and do it anyway as they say. I don’t want to be that dude I saw at class.
 
A lady at our church is similar to the man hikejunkie described. She is a bit older than me. Sometimes her pain is too much to make it through choir practice or a full church service. She says she is keeping an eye on how I am doing, especially because I went for the second. However, it is her fear and pain. I just don’t want to be in her seat if I don’t have to.
 
A lady at our church is similar to the man hikejunkie described. She is a bit older than me. Sometimes her pain is too much to make it through choir practice or a full church service. She says she is keeping an eye on how I am doing, especially because I went for the second. However, it is her fear and pain. I just don’t want to be in her seat if I don’t have to.

Hello - I’m new here too. I’m 45 and just given my date with Mr Slack at QEQM in Margate of 17th March. I’ve been putting this off for 2 years now and I’m a bit scared too! But ready to get my life back...
 
Getting cold feet again! My hip's been behaving far too well this week, with very little pain (although I haven't moved that much, that's true), so I'm having nagging doubts again. Can anybody who's already had the op please tell me if, after recovery, it almost feels like one's own old hip joint, but without the pain, or if it feels like a foreign body!! Only asking, because I don't know how long to hold out with my tried and trusted, albeit worn down, hip joint. My husband, needless to say, thinks I'm mad and need to make my mind up! Thanks for putting up with my neuroses.
I could have written this word for word...even the husband part.:heehee: I am part of the back and forth club too. But everytime I get that sharp pain in my groin it's talking to me...everytime my leg buckles from under me...it's talking to me. Well, its only a few days left for my surgery and I'm going to talk back to it!!!:tantrum:
As for a foreign body feel afterwards, I think of my dental implants as a mini femoral stem....and they feel like nothing.
 
Hi @Cassidy
First of all, you're not neurotic, so forget that silly notion.
Otherwise we're all nuts and I'm not willing to cop to that :heehee:
This is a very big decision and we all come to it on our own time.
I labored over the decision myself so I get it!

I did experience the sitting on something sensation. To me it was a golf ball.
Don't recall how long it lasted, didn't seem too long and it was sporadic.

You don't feel the implant and it works the same as your old joint, before it became sick and tired.

Ever consider scheduling the op, then trying to adjust while you're waiting.....you could always cancel... but I'll bet you wouldn't. Possibly that feels too overwhelming :what: Just a thought....

Hope your weekend is peaceful!
 
Thank you all again. @hikejunkie and @Layla, pleased to hear the various tennis/golf balls eventually took their leave! @Bumblebee, good luck for your op, and do please report back. And @Ali_Lou and MammaT, I hope I can be brave when the time comes, which I'm sure it will soon. I'm "on the list" and somebody I know who's 6 weeks or so ahead of me has just had their pre-op appt. Why does the pain come and go, I wonder? I've hardly noticed it today. I'm going to go for a walk tomorrow and tease it out!! Happy rest of weekend one and all!!
 
Don’t know how brave I am @Cassidy. Actually large part of motivation for second hip was fear of chronic pain. Surgery pain has an end. My left got to point where I never really had a break from pain.

Hard to tell why pain comes and goes. Many of us experience that but find the pain free time is less and less.
 
Why does the pain come and go, I wonder?
Many members report that when they finally schedule their op they "give in" to the pain and realise just how much they have been putting up with. It's a process we all went through. We all tried to cope with pre-op pain. After scheduling the op you realise just how narrow life has become.

When you are ready you will move forward @Cassidy . And we will be here for you!
 
@Cassidy @anny @MammaT @Bumblebee @Ali_Lou

I think I named the new folks in the thread. Except for MammaT. MammaT had her 2nd the same day I had my 1st. The process seemed unreal. I kept expecting to hear that it was a mistake. After checking my tests again that I was still good for another 10-15-20 years. It didn't happen. I do NOT (not at all, not even a little, teeny tiny bit) like GA. The anesthesiologist was great. I had the GA, and I had checked out the OS' table, so logically, it made sense. The OS told my DH that it was not what was expected. I know there were more tests that could have been run, so I do not blame the OS for being surprised. I have no sense of something foreign inside my body. I know my muscles were moved in a manner they are not used to moving. My thigh has been sore, but it only makes sense that it would. If my other hip needs replacing, I have no doubts about using the same OS and hospital and taking care of it right away. I'm not quite 2 weeks out and feeling good. But the things I cannot 'do' are almost the same as those I couldn't do before surgery. And it will improve now. Before surgery was only headed towards getting worse.

Everyone here has been supportive, kind, patient, and understanding. You have come to the right place!!
 
Back
Top Bottom