THR Rick’s new hip!

My surgery was 2 days after yours @RoosterRick and I can relate to the lull in milestones. Week 4-6 set unrealistic expectations for us both :)

3.9 miles is bloody good! I average around 5k steps per day which I am guessing is nowhere near 3.9 miles, but endless walks are not my thing really. I started going to the gym last week, which has been super rewarding. Tracking the progress in stationary bike resistance and mileage, as well as weights on most of the machines has been nice. Some days gym / PT gives me energy, some days I am back to icing and Netflix afterwards, but in general it makes me less afraid of my post-op body, and I feel like I am still working towards something even if progress is slow.

Walking for me feels very natural... until I get pain. I know most folks on this forum are against strengthening exercises but I think there comes a point where they could be beneficial. If walking alone doesn't give you enough stability for the movements not to feel mechanical. I think best to speak with a PT if you have that possibility. Hope you find a good one soon :)

Hello Cheerful Rooster Rick!
It's a special day...Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you had a good week that ends with a fantastic weekend! :SUNsmile:

My 9-week post-op anniversary was yesterday. The progress week-to-week is certainly less exciting than it was the first month. The "tough days" are few and far between. Most of the healing from the surgery trauma is resolved. But not all. The incision is healing nicely, however, the immediate area around is numb/sensitive, and it extends across the upper 1/4 of the front of my thigh. I realize it may take 12+ months to improve, but I do not enjoy the sensation. I have previously described my new hip as feeling “mechanical”. That is still the case, but it is feeling more “normal”. The joint is still stiff when I take those first few steps after sitting or when I get up in the morning, but that seems to be slowly improving. Flexibility is very slow to improve, A function of time, additional healing, my body adapting to the new hip and whatever else is at play, but it is noticeable over the last several weeks. Sleeping on my operated side is still uncomfortable and wakes me up a few times nightly. Walking continues to be my primary physical activity, but I have incorporated easy stretching, core work and upper body strength training. I am better at recognizing my limits and have generally avoided the ODIC (over-did-it-club), while pushing myself hard enough to continue to progress. My walking speed and daily distance have now surpassed where I was the last few months before my surgery, and with less discomfort. I haven't had to take anything for pain (Tylenol or Ibuprofen) in at least 10 days, probably a couple weeks. This is what I call a huge win-win:) I have not yet set up my bike trainer and am in no real hurry. I would rather be outside walking than on the trainer in my basement. Plenty of time for that next fall/winter. I am not contemplating any running in the immediate future, but I do think I'll be ready to play around with some run/walk intervals in the not-too-distant-future. I like where I am at right now. Although the road has been a bit bumpy, the progress is undeniable. and my mood reflects the optimism I am feeling.​

What a great update! Thanks for stopping by to share. These type of updates are what sustained me during my pre-op anxiety so I know they are appreciated.

I remember that pesky numbness well. It slowly shrunk over time and didn’t completely disappear for months! I’m with you on the side sleeping also. I didn’t even try it until I was around two months post op and did not find it very comfortable. That took time also.

So many positives already. I am happy for you, RoosterRick, and just think it’s going to get even better! :happydance:Have a nice week and a great holiday weekend!
@RoosterRick

I remember that pesky numbness well. It slowly shrunk over time and didn’t completely disappear for months! I’m with you on the side sleeping also. I didn’t even try it until I was around two months post op and did not find it very comfortable. That took time also.
Thanks for your always positive encouragement, Layla:) I’ve come to accept the nerve regeneration (or whatever it is nerves do) process will be interesting. Generally the area feels… deadened? But there are a variety of things going on. Feelings of tingling, heat, cold, muscle contraction, and I’ll get a strong sensation of hyper sensitivity, almost electric-like, that will wake me up. Weird. And the sleeping thing, just frustrating. I can fall asleep easily on my back, but will eventually roll to the operated side... which results in me waking up because it is fairly uncomfortable still. And I realize how fortunate I am that these are my biggest complaints.

Thank you for your kind words.
But there are a variety of things going on. Feelings of tingling, heat, cold, muscle contraction, and I’ll get a strong sensation of hyper sensitivity, almost electric-like, that will wake me up. Weird.
You're right, it is weird, but normal.

Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.

Happy Three Month Anniversary, RoosterRick!
I hope you're having a nice Summer so far.
May it be one of the best...enjoy! :SUNsmile:
@RoosterRick

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back