BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

Reassurance please!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Cassidy, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Cassidy

Cassidy member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Off down to visit my parents in Devon on the train - bit of a trek. The stick's coming in useful, if only to get me through the wider ticket barrier; surprising how helpful can be! I do find myself feeling a lot older with a stick, though, not helped by the fact that I've recently acquired new glasses. Turns out my sore eyes are due to having one long-sighted and one short-sighted! Why do all my medical problems have to be "unusual"?! Going to have a restful weekend catching up with family, eating too much (my Mum's a far better cook than me) and forgetting about hospitals and ops for a few days. But thanks, @Thesoutherncook and @Mojo333 - I'll be dreaming gum balls! Happy weekend all.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hope visit goes well...happy weekend to you also Cassidy.

3. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Wow - that is a long train ride! Enjoy your weekend!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Thesoutherncook

Thesoutherncook post-grad

Have a wonderful visit with your family! No dreaming of gumballs...just put it all out of your head for the weekend! :flwrysmile:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. AJinNH

AJinNH senior

Have a wonderful weekend @Cassidy! I bet you look beautiful in glasses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Cassidy

Cassidy member

Thanks @AJinNH, but that's like the joke about the woman who had a hysterectomy and was told she'd be able to drive after 6 weeks, only to reply that that would be amazing since she'd never been able to drive before! I'm tempted to try varifocals, because I've got the two pairs for long and short sight, and it's a real pain keep changing them over. I don't actually need to,wear them at all, but it means that if I don't I'm always overworking one eye, and then I end up with really sore eyes and a headache. A minor problem in the big scheme of things, but trying all the same. My gran used to say "don't get old", but I don't fancy the alternative! She was 98, mind you. Down at the seaside now, so nothing seems quite as depressing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thesoutherncook

My philosophy is that if you MUST use aids, they can at least look cute! I bougnt this cane for the trip to Paris (originally in April, rescheduled to November AFTER THR! ) .....so sassy! :heehee:

431BF9C2-439B-4291-A33C-B53AC761758C.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cassidy

Cassidy member

That's very useful @Thesoutherncook. I'm actually renowned for my love of colour and slight quirkiness, and the stick I've got at the moment is rather a dull red and doesn't fold up. It's supposed to screw to decrease its height, but it's not easy to unscrew and I don't tend to use that function in case I don't do it up tightly enough and it collapses whilst I'm leaning on it! So one that would fit in my bag would be extremely useful for work and my cruise in June. I'm going to look at the link right now! Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cassidy

Cassidy member

Got a date through for joint school and another for pre-admission - 21st and 23rd May - so I'm assuming the op might be in June, which would suit fine. Now all I need to do is stop myself reading too much about infections and dislocations!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AJinNH

AJinNH senior

Woohoo! I’m so happy for you @Cassidy June isn’t that far away. Yes, please stop reading about everything that can go wrong. I made that mistake of reading all of the bad outcomes on the recovery side and it served no purpose except to make me more anxious.

I will be 4 weeks postop next Monday. Tonight I’m meeting up with a neighborhood group of women for a little get together and tomorrow I’m going out for lunch with a friend. I spent the past four (uneventful) days alone while my husband was at a business meeting and I rather enjoyed having the time alone for a little while, no anxiety at all. I’m getting around with a cane and go outside and walk up and down the driveway for a little fresh air. I’m considering driving short distances next week. My incision is healing nicely and I feel really good. The hardest part is reminding myself to take it easy.

None of my worries materialized. Use the time that you have before surgery to get yourself ready, like some simple upper body strengthening exercises. The more prepared you feel the more confident you’ll be about a good outcome.

The other thing about recovery that has surprised me is how fast time is going by, I expected the opposite.

Hang in there!

11. Cassidy

Cassidy member

Thanks @AJinH - I hold you and @anny up as my examples of hip hop success. I'll have to stop reading the doom and gloom stories. I think the infection worry comes from my previous experience, and as for the dislocations .... My husband went to a new group the other day - they call themselves Men in Sheds - and there was a man there who'd had his op at the same hospital as I'm destined to go to in November, and who is now bounding around saying how wonderful the op was! I'll have to concentrate on him and you two!!

I'm happy for you that your life is getting back on track so early on. As I said, you're my inspiration.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Thesoutherncook

@Cassidy Maybe we'll go through this journey together! My surgery is June 12. I have 2 friends who had surgery with my OS. One was on the golf course in 3 weeks, the other was working on a mission project helping rebuild a house at 5 weeks! He does this as outpatient just as he did my TKR last summer!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:chuckmarch:here I am - just shy of one year out from double hip replacement!!
    So happy to be where I am considering the gloomy place I resided last April!
    Not quite that skinny...but just about that goofy!:heehee:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Cassidy

Cassidy member

@Thesoutherncook, it would be good to have an accomplice. I'll let you know as soon as I get a date. And @Mojo333, if you can bounce back from a double, I should be able to from just one hip! I'm going to stop reading the doom and gloom and concentrate on the upbeat from now on. (Not that I'll stop sympathising with those with less fortunate outcomes, of course - I just don't want to assume I'll be one of them.) Happy weekend!

• Like Like x 1
  15. anny

anny senior

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @Cassidy .......so pleased for you, you're nearly there! And yes, when I think about all the time I wasted agonizing about whether to have it done, what might go wrong etc I just :blush:. I'm 3 wks yesterday now, and get around pretty well on one crutch. I can now make and transport cups of coffee etc so my independence is increasing (don't like being waited on....well, not all the time, and found that pretty hard, but it's only short-term). Earlier this week my surgery dressing came off and the 2 ends of my dissolvable stitches were snipped off. The nurse said it has healed really well, and I have no dressing on it now. She also commented on how mobile I was and said she couldn't see any point in me having physio, as I could do just about everything they'd get me to do anyway (think going up and down stairs several times a day helps....strengthening leg and bum muscles, also good for balance) Occasionally I try the leg back/forward/side etc just to make sure I have the RoM but not every day. I think the 'worst' thing I can think of (and maybe it's not so bad :heehee:) is the tiredness....for someone who NEVER normally sleeps in the day, the overwhelming desire to have a nap morning and afternoon is a bit of a shock. It's been suggested that it's due to the General I had, and the tramadol (2 a day) I'm still taking,but my B12 and iron tend to hover just above baseline, so I might get them checked out too. But our bodies repair themselves during sleep, so I am expecting all my wrinkles to have disappeared and to look 20 years younger after this :wink: But seriously, it has all gone so well, that if I do need the other one done, I will have no hesitation in booking in......it was a completely fear-free experience, and so much better than the weeks preceding it. So get all those worries out on screen, and we'll talk you down :yay:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Cassidy

Cassidy member

So good to hear that everything's going well @anny. I think you were the same as with me, with the "do I need it yet" or "should I put it off for a bit" ditherings! I must admit that I'm finding the hip more painful day by day, so it's probably just as well that I'm down to have it done in a couple of months or less. I've booked a week away in May, and I'm just hoping it will ease off long enough for me to enjoy that! I do think my husband underestimates what's involved, though - or at least he's in denial - because he's already talking as though I'll be up and out as soon as I get out of hospital! I may have to put him straight on that. I think my main concern a few months ago was that the op would make things worse, but now they're already worse I've got over that worry. I still don't know what approach my OS uses - he sort of pointed out roughly where it would be, and how long the incision would be, but it was in amongst all the other chat, so I didn't really register it enough. I only hope he's doing the most conservative approach that he feels happy with (I did tell him that I may be an old lady (relative, that is!), but I still like to wear a swimming costume (obviously not a bikini - I have more self-respect than that!). I know he proposes the anaesthetic to be a spinal - which worried me initially, as I take a lot of sedative to knock me out, and I certainly don't want to be conscious of anything! - and I know he glues the incision. He keeps reassuring me that the joint will last as long as I need it, and won't dislocate as long as I behave, so I suppose I can only trust him on that. My main other worry is the chance of infection, since that's what got me into this fine mess (and I still wish I could track down the consultant who misdiagnosed me so rudely and give him a piece of my mind!). Anyway, spring has poked its head around the corner today, so I'm looking forward to recuperating in the summer months, which will be nice. I must just make the most of the next few weeks and try not to over-think - which is my usual habit. Thanks for getting back in touch, and do keep me in the loop, please. And well done so far!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @Cassidy
    I hope you had a nice day.
    Wondering if you caught any of JRAD and if so, what you thought?
    I thought it was very interesting and informative. I wish it was available before I had my surgery.
    Wishing you a great Sunday!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Cassidy

Cassidy member

Hello @Layla. I'm afraid I was off to the theatre, as I suspected, but I managed to get into the recording today and have decided to watch it on catch up when hubby's out, so that I can concentrate on it without his interruptions! Looks interesting at first visit though. Thanks.

19. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@Cassidy Do try and catchup with the JRAD video when it is available. Nearly every concern you raised in your post above was addressed during the day. Lots of great pre and post op information.
    I have the same issue with my OH. Just tell him you are discharged from hospital TO recover - not recovered already.

• Like Like x 1
  20. AJinNH

AJinNH senior

@Cassidy after you watch the JRAD video there may be parts you’ll want to share with your husband. They do share some unfortunate bits about people who rushed things too quickly in recovery.

• Agree Agree x 1