Guest viewing is limited

Reassurance please!

Help! My hip has behaved itself all week this week. That's not supposed to happen, as it makes me forget why I'm putting myself through the op. Although I suppose it would be good if it didn't let me down on my cruise. Poor thing can't win really! Good weekend everybody - it's actually sunny here in the UK, for this weekend at least.
 
Help is on the way @Cassidy! When you finally have that op and they tell you how damaged your hip was you’ll realize that these good days wouldn’t have lasted. It is a choice though, you could wait until you’re in pain all of the time, praying for that surgery date to come. NOT!! :good-bad:

Enjoy the sunshine and have a wonderful weekend!
 
Hi @Cassidy
Noticed you visiting over on the Recovery side and it got me wondering....do you have a date scheduled
for surgery yet, sweetie? Getting to that point is tough, I remember all too well.
How are you getting along, pain wise? I hope you're not too miserable...

Wishing you a good rest of the week!
 
Hi @Cassidy.
We have the same birthday!
I hope you have a date and well on the way to recovery by our birthday!
 
Thanks @Layla and @Mojo333 - I'm afraid I've been lurking on the recovery side quite a bit in preparation for my op and got a slap on the wrist for interrupting somebody's thread! Got carried away. No, I don't have a definite date yet, but I did have my joint school on Monday - wrong one, as they called me into the knee replacement class and then had to adapt the exercises and tell me the restrictions! I've got my pre-op today, but they said the op only has to be within 3 months of that. I rang the admissions secretary, and she said the OS is booked until mid-June, but I'm top of the list after that, so I should hear in the next 2 - 3 weeks. I did mention in the stolen thread that the therapist said restrictions are generally for 12 weeks, which disappointed me, and TEDS for 6. She also said I wouldn't be able to use my swivel desk chair after 6 weeks. The bit I didn't like was when I mentioned that my hip replacement has come about as a result of a staph aureus infection plus hospital acquired MRSA she said I'd probably have to be in a side room - a bit lonely! - and the chance of another infection is higher than if I hadn't had the first one. My OS has done a blood test and MRI to check for existing infection, and they were clear, and he said after 12 years the chances are slim, but he'd give me extra antibiotics anyway. So got me worrying about infection again, and not wanting to revisit my previous horrible experience. And, as I've said before, I'm still really resentful of the original OS who misdiagnosed me and so rudely, and who was never made aware of his failing, as far as I know. So I'm just trying to stay positive and assume all will be well! Here endeth my rant!! (It's not only the preacher at the Royal Wedding who knows how to go on about something!!)
 
the therapist said restrictions are generally for 12 weeks, which disappointed me, and TEDS for 6. She also said I wouldn't be able to use my swivel desk chair after 6 weeks.
I would check with your surgeon on this. Physio does not set any restrictions - it's up to the surgeon. 12 weeks sounds excessive. And I don't understand the comment about the swivel desk chair at all.
got a slap on the wrist for interrupting somebody's thread! Got carried away.
Not a slap on the wrist at all. We just want you to have your own spotlight!
 
:chinstroke:Did you learn anything about knee surgery prep and recovery so in case I need to ask at some point?:heehee: oh my stars...

I don't know how long they expect to keep you but anymore, barring complications, they get you out so fast, AND the theory is you'll be out of it for the first bit...probably won't get a chance to get lonely.
You don't want to stay there for long as that's how you allegedly got the MRSA.
Plus you have us to bemoan any hospital deficiencies to.

I think I would rather have some kind of prophylactic antibodies just in case, I was surprised I didn't get some "just because".

Technology, protocol, and procedures have made great strides in the past 12 years...and with a new OS I'm hoping you can be confident those previous issues won't be issues.
Glad your bloodwork is clear!

I know you've been on here for a while now, and I think you will be well prepared for this.
Hopefully they will schedule sooner than later...
Have a great day, Cassidy!:tada:
 
Feel free to lurk on the Recovery side as much as you like, @Cassidy
It's just nice to have some of these communications documented within your own thread for later
reference. Kind of like...Dear Diary, Lol:heehee: You will get a lot more responses here also.

Do some research on the advantages of starting a pro-biotic now in an effort to boost your immune system.
Can't hurt as extra protection to assist in warding off any infection, as you've expressed concern about.

Here is an article from our library and you can access many more online.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/probiotics.20811/

I hope you have a great rest of the week!
 
@Cassidy I was warned against using any chair that had wheels, it increases the fall hazard. I’m a bit of a klutz and have ended up on the floor a few times when I had my swivel chair, so mine got traded out pre-op for a regular chair at my desk. I’m sure lots of hippies use swivel chairs without issue, but in my case trading it out was a wise choice.

I got lots of antibiotics in the hospital, right up until I went out the door two days later. It sounds like they plan to take good care of you. I hope you don’t feel lonely, I’m guessing between the pain meds and the frequent checks by the staff that you’ll be enjoying those brief moments you’ll have to rest. That was my experience. Bring a good book and plan to keep in touch with us. :console2:

And you are welcome on my thread anytime!
 
I must say, @Jaycey, that the therapist was rather stern. I did discover, @Mojo333, that squats are suggested after knee replacement, but certainly not after hip! I might try some acidophilus @Layla - I sometimes have yogurt with probiotics, but I'm trying to avoid milk at the moment. And thanks for not minding me hijacking your thread, @AJinNH - it's always so much more interesting than mine!

On a serious note, though, I was rather put out this morning at my pre-op, as they've told me I've got to be screened for MRSA three times, use the scrub for five days even if the outcome is negative, and probably still be in a side ward - all because they were generous enough to give me MRSA! (I didn't have it last time when I was swabbed, before I was admitted into hospital.) I'm pleased they want to keep all the patients safe - as long as they look after me too!!
 
Wow - they are really going over the top with this infection prevention. At least they are looking after you. Hope you skin can tolerate that scrub for 5 days!
 
@Jaycey, she did say that it might leave me with dry skin and hair - fantastic!! So I pick up MRSA in hospital, and now I'm the bad guy!
 
Hi Cassidy.....when you're a few months down the line with your new hip, you'll be so busy enjoying your rejuvenated life this will all have been a momentary blip! I found my skin is drier after the op even without lots of scrubs, so lay in several bottles of body lotion and use generously. As for a room to yourself....don't knock it! I had my own room and I was so glad....there was a constant procession of nurses/domestic staff coming thro to do obs/offer drinks etc, most had a quick chat, and tbh I was glad of the quiet in between them. If I'd shared a room I think I would have felt obliged to make conversation, or at least small talk, and I don't think I would have had the energy! Keep posting with your worries, and we'll turn them round, one by one :)
 
So I have to share with you my pre-op scrub story @Cassidy. I was negative for MRSA and only needed to scrub for 3 days before surgery. Being the over cautious type that I am, I scrubbed for 6 days, changed my sheets for three nights in a row and washed all of my clothes that I would be wearing on super hot! I even considered making my husband scrub since we share a bed, but somehow reason won and I spared him that request, even though I knew he would have appeased me.
In the hospital I made everyone wash their hands before touching me. Did I mention that I’ve worked in healthcare my whole life, and that I have a background that includes microbiology? :heehee:
So as far as I’m concerned, you can’t be too careful!
 
I'd take my own room any day! @Cassidy
No listening to anyone's whining, incessant blabbing, their annoying visitors, shared bathroom, twice as many nurse intrusions / disturbances, possibly a snorer who selects crappy tv programs and turns up the volume.
Should I go on....or is that enough? :rotfl:
 
So I pick up MRSA in hospital, and now I'm the bad guy!
I guess I see it another way. They just don't want you to have another nightmare with MRSA. Plus for you - they are paying attention to infection control.
 
@anny, @AJinNH, @Layla and @Jaycey - thank you for letting me have my rant! I guess I'm so wound up about needing this op, which I rightly or wrongly see as being the result of negligence and so resent it more than if it was my own body giving up on me (which it is in many other ways!), that every little thing adds to my bitterness. Not good. I do really appreciate sensible words coming from those who have been there - I must admit that, although my husband is more than willing to help me on my recovery, he's not the best at empathising with my worries/rants beforehand - he has a tendency to sound all appeasing and say "You'll be fine", when all I want is somebody to agree with me! I do appreciate that they don't want infection - and neither do I - and that my own room would probably be what some people would dream of (and pay privately for) and that, at the end of the day, if I end up being able to walk without wincing all the time, then I'm the winner. So I'll try to be more positive in my outlook and hope that everything is being done in my best interests - (whilst still muttering and mumbling about the rudeness and ineptitude of the original OS!). I hope all you recovering people continue to recover painlessly, and all those yet to have ops are more at peace with the idea than I often find myself, and I'll go for my second MRSA swab tomorrow with good nature (my family will wonder what's happened to Victoria Meldrew - if any of you "overseas" forumites know who on earth I'm talking about?!)
 
I'm glad you aren't allowing that other OS to live rent free in your mind all the time.
I would be very upset if I had to undergo more surgery and recovery due to negligence...
But glad you are trying to think positive.
Stress is terrible for our health...and immune systems.
We are all cheering for you to get through this and be healthy and happy.:flwrysmile:
 
Back
Top Bottom