TKR Ready Set Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
great news I like to sit on my feet so hope I can get good flexion once I have this done but who knows Your posts are always so encouraging keep up the good work
 
Good to hear you got that spot figured out. You're doing great.
 
Hi Lonewolf,
Lunch break in the studio. I am about the same flexion wise, but my ROM was very limited a year before the surgery. My goal is 120-125 to able to ride a bike normally. In hindsight even before my knee got really bad when I was riding the bike, had to tweak the ankle to make revolutions(this would be over the past decade or two), maybe my goal to ride normally is unrealistic. To just ride again would be great. Had a few sessions this week in the pool swimming laps and walking in the water. This has opened up my walking speed massively. It must be the neurotransmitters in the brain saying it is OK to move faster on land and in the water. Yesterday had to stand for 4 hours or so outputting plates, but knee held up OK in the process. Getting stronger by the day. Slight swelling, but not any different than over the past several weeks. Going to walk around the block now. Take care.
 
Bill, it's good to hear that things are going really well and that work is not overtaxing your knee. And you sound very upbeat.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted. We care.
 
No worries Judy.
Looking forward to the weekend. Energy levels not as high as I would like due to lack of full night's sleep. Work has been OK. Bringing in the Cryocast to keep the knee from swelling up. take care.
 
great news I like to sit on my feet so hope I can get good flexion once I have this done but who knows Your posts are always so encouraging keep up the good work


I know exactly what you mean. I like to tuck one leg under me. I didn't know if this would ever be possible again after my TKR but I was reading the posts over in the Library subsection called: Stories of Amazing Knee Recoveries and there is one about a teacher who was surprised one day while outside with her class she found herself sitting cross legged. This tells me that it is possible. Actually just about anything is possible if your body allows it.

I find a lot of strength and motivation over in that section of the library.
:flowerysmile:
 
Hi Lonewolf,
Lunch break in the studio. I am about the same flexion wise, but my ROM was very limited a year before the surgery. My goal is 120-125 to able to ride a bike normally. In hindsight even before my knee got really bad when I was riding the bike, had to tweak the ankle to make revolutions(this would be over the past decade or two), maybe my goal to ride normally is unrealistic. To just ride again would be great. Had a few sessions this week in the pool swimming laps and walking in the water. This has opened up my walking speed massively. It must be the neurotransmitters in the brain saying it is OK to move faster on land and in the water. Yesterday had to stand for 4 hours or so outputting plates, but knee held up OK in the process. Getting stronger by the day. Slight swelling, but not any different than over the past several weeks. Going to walk around the block now. Take care.

Looking forward to the weekend. Energy levels not as high as I would like due to lack of full night's sleep. Work has been OK. Bringing in the Cryocast to keep the knee from swelling up. take care.


Bill, you are truly motivating! You really took the bull by the horns, as it were. I can relate to your bike riding. Back in 1996-1997 while we were living in Japan, my third year there, I didn't have a working visa; so my solution was self motivated manual labor; a.k.a. lot's and lot's of riding. :biggrin:
I was in my first year of recovery/denial and really was missing my bike; but it was too expensive to ship over, so I went and bought a cheap bike. I rode it everywhere I could; but about every other week I'd blow out the center ball bearings in the crank. I would take it to the local bike shop who would throw in a new set for a few yen. I got to were I knew the shop owner pretty well and he knew what I was in for, when I'd show up. I could have simply bought the tube of new bearings from him and changed it myself; but quite frankly I enjoyed the company.

As time went on I learned to tweak my riding style a tad so that I'd only blow out my bearings every couple of months or so. I was wearing an unloader type brace and if I didn't lean my leg out a tad it would "ting" off the center bar. :snork: When I got back to the States and back on my old bike I did much better. On my current bike I have only worn out the bearing in the pedal on the right side once or twice. Can't wait to get out on it again and ride "normal."
[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!


Thanks for the tip about the pool! :thumb: We have one here; and most physical therapy complexes have access to one; if not one right in the building.

I would say to try really hard to get a good night's sleep; but I can't seem to get to sleep when I need to myself. :hysterical: I suspect that lack of sleep will also be the last major hurdle that we will have to contend with; but it's also the one thing that will keep us on the path to a healthier recovery (as long as we listen to it). Maybe try catching a 10 minute nap at lunch or something; if you can risk it. :secretaea:

 
Nice story Lonewolf,
I think were both on the right track. Positive attitude, have a go without pushing too hard, and just aim to achieve goals without pressure or hurting yourself. Patience is the key with the knee.
 
Congratulations :thumb: Make sure you take it easy and don't over do it at this early stage. You get a gold star for such a well written post just after surgery - amazing!!! Good luck and take care.
No kidding. My post would have been gibberish. REST:yay:
 
Day Number 15

I got to escape again! :yes 4: They can only catch me and drag me back because I can't run...yet. :biggrin: I was able to go to a local school to check it out with my wife and had to stand for about 20 minutes; also had to walk about half a block in and back out. I did it unassisted, unless you count holding my wife's hand, though my crutches were in the truck. BTW, it is cheating a bit to hold her hand because she gives me a lot of strength. After that she snuck me over to the local market for a "few things for dinner." It is a tiny store so I wondered around a bit sneaking some nummy fruits, that our little miss has been waiting patiently to come back into season for, into the basket. Then we headed home. My knee is a bit sore and a little swollen; but I've been elevating and icing it and it's feeling just fine.

My physical therapist has officially passed me on to the outpatient
physical therapy clinic! :yay: My ROM when he last measured me was 107. I called the clinic and they set me up with all my appointments for the entire next month, with them. I thought that was kind of cool because it frees me up from having to call each week and it'll be easier for me to schedule my days better.

Tomorrow my Mom is flying in. :cocktail: I want to be there when her plane arrives; but I'll definitely be bring my crutches for that one. :ok:
 
Day Number 19!

Wow! I can't believe that I'm almost 3 week post op! :yes 4: Today will be my first day at the outpatient physical therapy clinic. I've really been looking forward to this because I know it's the last step before I'm cut free. :yahoo:

I've been busy for the past few days. On Saturday evening I was a bit naughty and got scolded by my wife and then scolded last night by my Dad. It's not my fault, you see, really...okay, okay; it was all me... I was watching my son ride his bike around and he asked me how in the world you do a real bunny hop without the toe clamps...look I only rode in about a 10 meter circle and I never sat down. :secretaea:

Sunday we went to a graduation and dinner; I used my crutches because it was really far to the car; but it really wasn't that bad at all. Ice, elevate repeat.

Yesterday, I snuck my Mom out of the house (since she can drive) and we went over to the local REI, an upittie outdoors store. It was fantastic because Mom started reminiscing about the wilderness back packing trips we would take with me, as a wee child, on her back.:flowerysmile: It was pure magic; but by last night I was really worn out. Ice, elevate, repeat.

I am looking forward to what today holds. :rolleyes: I'll let you know how it goes! :egypt-dance:
 
My Goodness - aren't you doing well! But I'm with your wife and your dad on this - you have been naughty haven't you :th_heehee:. It seems that you got away with it though. But do try to take it easy and don't overdo it :wink1:.

If my recovery will turn out half as well as yours I'd be very happy indeed!

Good luck with your PT.
 
You are doing so well! Good for you. No more shenanagigans though! Don't want to mess up all the progress you've made.
 
My first outpatient Physical Therapy went pretty good! :wink1: She basically progressed my PT and showed me great new stretches. I love how the muscle building exercises are actually doable and not really scary. Also the new stretching techniques are great! When I arrived she measured my flexation at 105 and before I left it was up to 112.

I actually did tell her about my itty bitty little ride on my son's bike, on Saturday, and she wasn't terribly worried about it other than she said that I, "Maybe not ride again until at least week four, or so." :biggrin: I'm pretty sure she was leaning more towards the "or so" but it's still fun to dream and healthy to hope.




 
You are soooo right, "it's still fun to dream and healthy to hope.". Dreaming and hoping are two things that keep us moving forward with a smile (or a grimace...lol, but moving forward none the less) on those tougher days. :yes 4:

I am glad that your PT went well and that you are encouraged. Nice work on the flexion. :yahoo: keep up the good work and positive attitude!
 
Hi Lonewolf,
Glad everything is working out for you. I'm not really progressing much as work, commuting, and family commitments are knocking the stuffing out of me. Looking forward to the weekend to exercise and relax at home. You are an inspiration mate keep up the good work.
 
Hee Hee. You're being naughty and a bit of fun is good but you don't want to set yourself back. Give those muscles a chance to knit together properly
 



I was wearing an unloader type brace and if I didn't lean my leg out a tad it would "ting" off the center bar.


:yes 4: I know that sound! Can't wait to be back on my bike(s) and not hearing it anymore. Also to be able to hire a bike on vacation without worrying about the brace fouling on the frame!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom