TKR Ready Set Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Lonewolf,
My OS has given me a new script of Celebrex but wants me to take a break every 4 days after every 10 days on it. No real side effects other than additional swelling on the days off it. Avengers movie was great, but a bit too real ( death) for my little ones ( 8 and 9 ). Great for kids 12 and older in my opinion. My manager took his 6 year old with no issues, but I wouldn't take my little ones as they are sensitive to some types of violence. I need to log out after visiting site I see. No worries.
 
Hey Bill, can you find the LOG OUT button please?
 
Hey Bill, can you find the LOG OUT button please?

Smja, I found it!! This new update sure is funky! Anyway, go up to the top right and carefully hover your mouse cursor over your name. A drop down menu will automatically appear. The log out is on the bottom of that. :)
 
Hi Sandy,
Log out is upper right hand corner on IPad. Same as it was before. I was wondering about the user control panel. This is no longer visable on IPad looking at site through normal web link. I might try the IPad App that is new to the site. We seem to have different interfaces in how we see the site. Hope all is well Lonewolf. Did a few loads of green waste to the local tip today. Still not really ready to mulch. Has been beautiful today, but very wet most of the weekend.
 
Day 32 - Happy Father's Day!

Bill, don't you folks celebrate Dad's Day in September? Glad to hear you're out and about. I like working on the yard. There's nothing quite like the smell of cut grass; it would be cool if the air freshener people could mimic (correctly) the smells associated with outdoor chores like cut grass, chipped wood, etc. They may be able to open a whole new market; they could call it Ode de Man Cave. :heehee: Your yard work load did sound a bit optimistic; but each person does it there own way. Just to be out and about feels so good.

Things are going pretty good here. I saw my PT on Friday and she really worked me. Got my extension from a cold 5 to a warmed up 1 and my flextion from a 112 to a 117. But these are just numbers after all. What I'm personally pleased with is that I'm doing full rotations on the exercise bike now. I get on all goofy, compensating for the lack of fexation; but after a couple minutes things relax, the hip doesn't lift up and my ankle straightens out as my knee happily pedals on.

Yesterday was a bitter sweet day. I took my Mom to the airport. When we went to get her a couple of weeks ago I used my crutches because it's pretty far from the parking garage to baggage claim. Yesterday I walked her (no crutches, completely unaided) from the garage to the baggage check in and waited with her in the security line until she slipped on through. It was so good to have her here. She pushed me to do better without even knowing it. :)
 
Congrats on going home. sounds like you have some support at home--and we're always here for you too.
 
Hi Lonewolf,
Yes we have Father's Day in September, Great to read your getting about so well and making progress on the ROM/Extension side of things. I agree numbers don't really account for how easy or unstable things feel. Glad you had a good visit from your Mum. Looks like you have great support from your family. Back at work today. Quiet morning in the studio so I hope to do some exercises in a moment. Have a nice day.
 
Day 32 - Happy Father's Day!

Bill, don't you folks celebrate Dad's Day in September? Glad to hear you're out and about. I like working on the yard. There's nothing quite like the smell of cut grass; it would be cool if the air freshener people could mimic (correctly) the smells associated with outdoor chores like cut grass, chipped wood, etc. They may be able to open a whole new market; they could call it Ode de Man Cave. :heehee:

Been done:

[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!
 
Thanks Historian! After some searching I found that Yankee Candle just put out this new line on "Man Candles" last month, mid May. There are four scents: Riding Mower, 2x4, First Down and Man Town. We're going to be near a Yankee Candle shop on Saturday; no doubt we'll stop in to give a sniff. The car fresheners of the Riding Mower and First Down scents are already sold out on their website so that seems promising. I'll let you know what four different noses think. :)
 
:cheers: How is your progress going Lonewolf?
Any new milestones. I'm hoping to do lot's of PT and general exercise this weekend. My familily is going on holidays down South to Sussex Inlet as Winter Holidays started yesterday and the kids are off for a three weeks. My son Griffin turned 13 on Thursday "Our first teenager". He is a talented guitarist and I bought him a Gibson electric acoustic on eBay. his first REAL guitar. He also has a Cort electric and a Suzuki acoustic which he loves playing. I'm sure he will take good care of the Gibson, as we can't afford to buy him another. I just want to indulge his passion as this is a positive one. His High School music teacher said his ability to read notes and play them on the guitar is great. I love to paint, and my kids all love music and painting or drawing, but my oldest is loving making music more than art. He may have a future in it if can keep inspired. Going to miss my kids and my wife as they will be gone for the week. I have to stay home as it is 3 1/2 hours away and I can't take any more time off till Christmas. Give us an update Lonewolf. Ta.
 
5 and a half weeks!

I had my first post-op appointment today with my surgeon. :happydance: I have really been looking forward to seeing the Dr and getting to show him how much progress I've made. They took two x-rays of my knee, this was the first time I've gotten to see it since the surgery. It looks pretty cool. The old reconstructed condyle is still a bit visible but it looks strikingly different that it did. :) My ROM measurement was 4 to 114; which was a bit disappointing to me, usually it's a bit better, but they seemed very pleased with it. Overall it was a great visit.

I stayed up way too late last night reading and woke up a bit stiff; so I knew my ROM wasn't going to be as good as it has regularly been. The one thing that really seems to get my knee back on track is the exercise bike. Whenever I'm a bit swollen and tight I get on the bike and after 5 minutes the knee shrinks and feels so much better; but today it just wasn't in the cards. Every time I went over to the our community gym someone was one the one bike that is there. Before I went to my appointment I considered pulling out my bike from the garage and riding around the neighborhood for a bit; but I didn't want to push my luck. Later on this evening I went over again to jump on the bike for a bit; but again it was occupied. So I walked home and had a pow wow with my little ones. I told them what was up and asked them if I should just go for a real bike ride. They said I should and that they should come with me. :wink: They are real sweethearts and they make sure I don't go too fast or get too rowdy. After only a few minutes out I was already feeling better. It sure felt good to be back on my own two wheels. :bicycle1:
 
Cool idea,
Does it smell good?

On Saturday we went to the Yankee Candle Shop to try out the new smells. The Cut Grass really is spot on. Unfortunately they didn't have any of the small ones so I'll have to wait to try them burning. The 2x4 was fairly close as well; the other two were just strange. They did have the older Green Grass and it did smell like fresh grass; so we picked up the votive size to give it a try. At home it had a very light fragrance but it seemed to lose the fresh grass smell all together. Now I'm really wanting to get my hands on that Cut Grass; because though it smelled similar to the Green Grass, it seemed to have a stronger grassier smell to it. :yes:
 
:cheers: How is your progress going Lonewolf?
Any new milestones. I'm hoping to do lot's of PT and general exercise this weekend. My familily is going on holidays down South to Sussex Inlet as Winter Holidays started yesterday and the kids are off for a three weeks. My son Griffin turned 13 on Thursday "Our first teenager". He is a talented guitarist and I bought him a Gibson electric acoustic on eBay. his first REAL guitar. He also has a Cort electric and a Suzuki acoustic which he loves playing. I'm sure he will take good care of the Gibson, as we can't afford to buy him another. I just want to indulge his passion as this is a positive one. His High School music teacher said his ability to read notes and play them on the guitar is great. I love to paint, and my kids all love music and painting or drawing, but my oldest is loving making music more than art. He may have a future in it if can keep inspired. Going to miss my kids and my wife as they will be gone for the week. I have to stay home as it is 3 1/2 hours away and I can't take any more time off till Christmas. Give us an update Lonewolf. Ta.

That was a great gift for your son! There is something very right about nutrouring our children's talents and interests. :friends:

Three weeks without the family around must be terribly lonely. I hate the way the house feels too quiet whenever my wife and kids have been gone for a camp trip or out of town to visit family.

A few new milestones are I was cleared to start working out again, as long as I start really slow, I can go swimming again and I can ride my bike as long as I'm careful. :happydance: I felt pretty good on Friday so I gave a workout a go; but I cut it in half. It felt so good; later on I knew I was going to hit that tail tail fatigue wall so when it did come I just relaxed and let sleep take me away for a bit. I felt very good. On Sunday we all went swimming. That hot tub felt like pure heaven. :yes!: After my appointment today I worked out again, half counts and went for a very nice bike ride in the evening. So far so good. :egypdance:
 
Your doing excellent Lonewolf, keep up the good work. I was a bit freaked the first few nights with the family gone as it is so quiet at home, but used to the quiet now and enjoying having my own space for a change. Miss the kids and my wife, but they will be back on Saturday. They are all enjoying the holiday down South, and missing me as well, so all is good. I seem to keep hurting myself in the pool maybe going at it too hard, did the bike trainer and cross trainer last night and did some weights as well. I used to work out regularly, but gave it away with the painful knee. I benched 200 lbs last night which is my body weight, so happy for my first go back at it, curls, etc.. muscles a little sore, but they feel good as in not damaged.
 
lonewolf121 said:
I know exactly what you mean. I like to tuck one leg under me. I didn't know if this would ever be possible again after my TKR but I was reading the posts over in the Library subsection called: Stories of Amazing Knee Recoveries and there is one about a teacher who was surprised one day while outside with her class she found herself sitting cross legged. This tells me that it is possible. Actually just about anything is possible if your body allows it.

I find a lot of strength and motivation over in that section of the library. :flowerysmile:

I used to sit with one foot tucked under me all the time, and I had forgotten that! Wow! Maybe I will again, or maybe that's just more than a knee really needs to do.
 
Just read your entire story from pre to now post-op. Thanks for sharing. It's nice to see someone closer to my age going through a replacement. Though I don't have any kids myself I do have two nieces and a nephew that I can't wait to be more active with and not have anything holding me back as well as getting back on a bike.
 
Hi Lonewolf
How is the knee coming along? How is the bike riding going? Back doing any other types of activities with you new knee? Are you to the point where you are doing things without having to think first about what it will do to your knee?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom