Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ready Set Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep the thought that the blues are a normal part of recovery for some people. See this article from the BoneSmart Library:

Post Op Blues
 
Day Number 4!

For me the mornings are always better. :mornincoffee:

Being in my own bed last night was pure magic. Once I found my comfy spot I was out like a light.

This morning I was reading the "Knee Scars" and "Do you have the Worst Knee" threads. After reading over them both for a bit I feel a bit silly about posting up about my bit of blues; but I also think it was important to get it out here. I'm honestly pretty positive so when it when I'd get choked up it was quite a surprise. At any rate it's definitely the resting that helps, for me. I believe this is why I love the morning so much; my sleep tank is full and I'm ready for another day trip. :biggrin:

My 11 year old son told me a joke the other day that I believe is quite fitting here. He asked, "Have you heard of the movie, "Constipation?""
I said, "No, is it good?"
He said, "I don't know; it hasn't come out yet!" :snork:

Time to go get some coffee, let's see how today goes. :)
 
Day Number 4! My 11 year old son told me a joke the other day that I believe is quite fitting here. He asked, "Have you heard of the movie, "Constipation?""
I said, "No, is it good?"
He said, "I don't know; it hasn't come out yet!" :snork: :)


Luv it! :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Leave it to kids to brighten the day!
 
Lonewolf-

That's one funny kid you have there!!! Complain away, you'll find (me included) that many of here at our worst times, looking for guidance, solace and a place to vent where someone else "gets it". It's all relative, our pain, our depression, our constipation, but it's real to us the moment it is occurring.

The first four weeks are tough ones by anyones standard. Some smarties are fortunate enough to walk out of the hospital and right back into their lives without a hiccup but most of us don't. Take some time to read the library articles, they are very helpful regardless of how your recovery progresses. Post when you are blue, happy, sad, concerned, angry, whatever, that's why we all keep checking back in, you never know where the next kernel of enlightenment will appear in a thread.
 
Love the joke from your son!!! What a ray of sunshine he must be for you!
 
Cool kid for sure, Take it easy the first few weeks, long road ahead. I'm trying my first day without the heavier pain meds to see how things go. I hope to get back to work next week, but just taking it day by day. Trying to ease into the flow of things not on Oxycodone. So far so good. Keep positive and just know in time you will be better than just OK.
 
You're doing great I've felt tearful off and on for no reason but thanks to the forum know its normal so just letting it ride on by

I know what you mean about realising how bad the old one was. I was in an extra two hours as they couldn't get the knee cap off and it was bleeding a lot despite the tourniquet.

Good job it's gone!

Keep smiling. Today is a sore day so still in bed chilling. :thumb:
 
Lonewolf,
Congrats on your new knee!
Now you are entering the toughest part of recovery, IMO, which is the first 3 weeks post-op. Please read the post-op blues article in the library-very important.
I cried several times a day in the 1st three weeks for absolutely no reason, blabbering to my husb. that I was sorry for crying. I was truly a mess, then. I think it is partly the brain's reaction and recovery to anesthesia, and the body adjusting to the pain meds. After 3 weeks you will notice a turn for the better, really. Until I read the post-op blues article, I had no idea what was going on. But it will get better.
SO keep icing, elevating, resting, taking pain meds, reading the articles in the library, and napping as needed.
Keep us posted and Happy Healing!
 
Day Number 5!

I've noticed that resting isn't hard to remember and elevating my leg is easy enough, ice (or frozen peas from a recent "procedure" :th_heehee:) is no problem to remember but I find the hardest thing to remember is to take my pain pills on time. The tale of threes: for me I have three pills I have to take every three hours and that three hours starts when I wake up. Now to really make it interesting I can choose to take two to start then an hour and a half later I take the third so the pain stays level and manageable. Last night I found a simple enough solution; I made up a quick excel sheet, printed out about ten double-sided sheets and it's working great. It has all my daily meds on it, morning and evening, plus the ones that are scattered throughout the day. I stapled them together in a "booklet" and clipped a pen to the top. Then I simply enter in amount and times taken throughout the day. Today was the first full day using the sheet and it was perfect; not only did I know what I have and haven't taken yet; but it has kept me squarely on track with what time and how much pain medicine I've taken. :yes 4:

I seem to be progressing rather quickly; but I swear I'm not pushing too hard.:doorscary: It is just turning out this way. Case in point; this morning, after my shower, my wife was scolding me for not putting my weight on my new knee. Well, I said, "Oh yeah? Watch this." :friends: I held my crutches out in front of me, straightening my arms and gently rested my hands on the top pads; then I very slowly but methodically picked up my surgery leg, set it down and gently stepped forward. Then I deliberately lifted my good leg up a bit and stepped forward. It not only felt okay and good it felt fine. In fact I scooted on through the doorway and into the other room. I kept expecting the worst; but it was just fine. By the time I got to the living room I went ahead and grabbed my old cane that I leave by the front door. For the first hour or two I was very very gentle with the idea of using the cane; but by the afternoon it was barely a thought. I'm so grateful that I discovered this today because it was also the first day that my at home physical therapist was coming so I could ask him (or her) if it was okay to be using the cane. :what:

The physical therapist came to my home around 2:30 in the afternoon. After we got through all the paper work and such he checked my gait and my progress. He said the cane was a great thing!! :yahoo: He said that in fact it was better to put as much of my own weight on it as possible because it will help with my recovery and make it stronger in the long run. The PT also showed me how to use the cane more effectively. He said I'd need approximately seven more sessions before I'd be cleared to go to the outpatient physical fitness center.

My Flexion before leaving the hospital was -5 and my Extension was 90.
Today the PT measured my Flexion at -5 and my Extension at 91.
I figure at this stage no change is a good thing and even a bit of a surprise. Actually I thought my flexion was going to be better; but I honestly thought my extension was going to be worse. It was a good day. :hapydancsmil:
 
Hey, great plan with the meds. I found that typing my meds onto a document on my cel phone really helped for me to keep track of what I had taken at what time and how many...

:yay: Sounds like you are moving right along. :thumb: Just keep icing and elevating. Listen to your knee if it hurts and/or swells. Keep us posted with your progress.
 
LW. Good job with the Excel spreadsheet. I not only wrote the time I took my med in a doc on my phone (just like Jancat), but I set my alarm to the specific times so I wouldn't forget. And I was on schedule for 6 weeks!

High five to your wife for getting you to not baby that leg too much.
 
Hey, great plan with the meds. I found that typing my meds onto a document on my cel phone really helped for me to keep track of what I had taken at what time and how many...

:yay: Sounds like you are moving right along. :thumb: Just keep icing and elevating. Listen to your knee if it hurts and/or swells. Keep us posted with your progress.

LW. Good job with the Excel spreadsheet. I not only wrote the time I took my med in a doc on my phone (just like Jancat), but I set my alarm to the specific times so I wouldn't forget. And I was on schedule for 6 weeks!

High five to your wife for getting you to not baby that leg too much.


Thank you so much!

Knee was iced and is currently elevated; but feeling pretty good.


Sounds like we think the same.
:friends: I put a lot of info into my phone spreadsheets; but I also train. I was a bit stuck because I wanted to have an electronic schedule; but the ease of a grab and go notebook. What swayed me to put it into a written sheet was that I have no idea of the start time. Actually it would work well for week days but the weekends would still need some scheduling finesse. I also set my phone timer for 1.5 hour intervals and my wife has her scheduler set for the morning and evening meds. I find it exceedingly easy to lose track of the short term time.

My wife talks with her coworkers about my total knee and they give her all sorts of useful tidbits to pass along. She had already told me to put more pressure on my leg; but when she heard it from a friend, on Sunday, she decided cracked the whip a bit. She pushes me without even saying a word and she inspires me to do the best I can.


She is so sweet. She said that the reason why the hospital staff liked me was because I didn't push my call button a lot. Haha! She said that when we get home not to hesitate at asking for anything. I told her not to worry I'd push her buttons plenty.
:th_heehee:
 
Day Number 6!

Wrestling with the constipation monster; but starting to drinking a full glass of water every 1.5 hours and things seem to be doing better. Also my wife went and got me a tub of fresh prumes and I've been munching on them throughout the day. :ok:

I was going through pictures and it occured to me that I have way too many to post. I suppose I could post a few then tie a link over to my photobucket account, I have one set up just for the LTKR.

I'm going to go ahead and post 3-4 pictures that I took before the surgery. Mods please let me know if I'm doing this right or if there is a better way to do this. :friends: If I'm good to go then I'll post a few more pre and post op.

Two days pre-op:
[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!


[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!


[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!


[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!
 
Good photos! Are you using tinypic to post them? If so, you need to change the size from "default" to "message board" so they are just a bit smaller. I'll modify these four for you.
 
Good photos! Are you using tinypic to post them? If so, you need to change the size from "default" to "message board" so they are just a bit smaller. I'll modify these four for you.

Oh thank you Jamie!! :yay: I'm just pulling the direct link from photobucket; but I'll tinker around a bit with it and try another photo. Is this one a good size?

[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!
 
Purrr-fect!!!!
 
Day Number 7!

I posted day number 6 this morning because yesterday I had to lay down early; but I'm feeling a lot better today.

Today has been a really great day. I even got out a little. :yes 4:

Last night I hinted that I'd love to tag along with my wife to an appointment she had; today I made a mental check of how I was feeling and decided to go. I grabbed my forearm crutches and followed my wife and kids out the door. It was the first time on an outing since leaving the hospital and it felt wonderful. I let my little man sit in the front with Mom and I hung out in the back with our lil'Miss for the short ride over to the school. Then I got in front and away we went. It felt so good to be out.

When we got home I elevated my leg and proceeded to relax. Then the phone rings and it's my physical therapist's partner; they both are going to be PTing me. She asks if it's okay if she came today (it was either today or Friday)? I said sure, she says she'll be here in about 45 minutes!! Wow! That was fast; but as it turned out she has been under the weather and running behind. Then she showed up late; but I'm extremely empathetic and judging by the the way she looked when she showed up I knew she wasn't feeling so hot. It turned out she had a headache that she couldn't shake; but after spending an hour with my wife and I and getting to meet our dog and puppy she looked a lot better when she left. I wonder who was PTing who?! :doggieshmooze:

She is very good at her job and my wife and I learned more today than we did on Monday. For one thing my gait is off and I walk like I still have an odd degree of bend in my leg. I couldn't figure out how to walk any different at all. Tomorrow, when my knee is happier with me, I'm going to have my wife video tape me walking. That way I can "see" what they see and adjust it if I can. We'll see how that goes. She also showed me "exactly" how to do the leg bends and muscle exercises; just this morning my wife and I were debating the proper techniques. :egypt-dance:

Today the PT measured my Flexion at -5 and my Extension was 95.


Warning: the following paragraph has very little TKR information; nevertheless it may be fun and informative; read at your own risk: :th_heehee:

Later on when my wife went to get the kids, I put my leg up and decided to play one of my son's games on the Xbox360. There's one game that I particularly like called Trials Evolution, its a motorcycle game where you have to get through Motor X courses without crashing and under a certain time. It's always good to stay sharp at his games for two reasons, one I can still play with him and he doesn't feel like he's "letting" me win and two, I know exactly what he is playing and if it's appropriate for his age level and understanding. After playing it for a bit I found myself daydreaming about showing my son the movie Dust to Glory; an amazing film shot of the Baja 1000 that really seemed to capture the spirit of the race very well. Then someone knocks at the door. It's one of my riding buddies holding a bag STUFFED with dual sport and motor cross movies!! Haha!! He said, "Just in case you were feeling boarded. " :) How weird and cool was that?!! There was even a couple of mini series / movies that you folks over in the UK might be familiar with called Long Way Down and Long Way Round. They are both motorcycle chronicles of Ewan GcGregor and Charley Boorman. He even put the one that Charlie did solo called Race to Dakar. :yes 4:
 
I hear ya. I took a lot of drives they mcdonald's just to see a happy face and a smile. Also, you can learn what other people have gone thru and develop a compassionate heart, if you are interested in spiritual things.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom