TKR Ready Set Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ps, I took docusate sodium, upon doctors recommendation for the constipation. If you are taking iron pills, you will probably find this over the counter remedy helpful.
 
Day Number 7!

Today started out a bit rough with a headache but it dissipated fairly quickly. Feeling good now and there's not really much to report on so I suppose it's time to post up my hospital pictures. :friends:

Ready to Go!

[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!



My Beautiful!!

[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!



Show me Everything!

[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!



Femoral Nerve Block, see the really straight object? That's the needle.

[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!
 
Immediately after surgery, a.k.a. what I call day 1:


First thing I see when I'm wheeled into my room, drawn by our lil'Miss.

[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!



So here I am, all done.

[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!




First day assignment was to sit up at the edge of the bed and dangle your legs.

[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!



First thing my wife says, "Hey, they match!"

[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!
 
Continuing on; the next set of pictures are from one day post-op waht I call Day Number 2!


Time to get up and use the walker!

[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!



I see you can walker around; but can you sit?

[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!



Ready

[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!



Set

[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!



Ta Da!!!

[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!
 
Last day; got my steps finished to release. Doctor was happy, PT and OT were happy and I was (you guessed it) happy. So they let me go a day early. This is the second day post-op; but what I call Day Number 3.


My steps to release; I'm so glad they had it posted right there in my room.

[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!



Trying out the forearm crutches; they are great!

[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!



OT cleared and street clothes on. I'm outa here!

[Bonesmart.org] Ready Set Go!
 
OH MY GOSH - the pictures are fantastic!! Ok - I assumed that they would have me knocked out already when they put that block in...but apparently not!!! I'm SO ready...you looked fantastic! I hope I look 1/2 as good as you do afterwards!!
 
OH MY GOSH - the pictures are fantastic!! Ok - I assumed that they would have me knocked out already when they put that block in...but apparently not!!! I'm SO ready...you looked fantastic! I hope I look 1/2 as good as you do afterwards!!

I asked for a conscious sedation; which means I got a spinal and a cocktail of stuff to make me very comfortable. I wanted to be as lucid as was allowed. Going in that way, for me, was much easier than to be put under completely. You still sleep; but you're in a more dreamlike state. It's very peaceful. :rolleyes:
 
Thank you so much for sharing your journey. You are such an inspiration. My surgery is June 5, your pics help with the unknown for us waiting. I think knowlege takes most of the fear away. Keep posting the pics. Hope I can post some to. Wishing you all the best on a speedy recovery. A+ on your photo album:-)
 
We love pics and yours are great! And you smiled all the way through. These will give a positive boost to those who are waiting and worrying.

Loved that handmade card from your daughter--no wonder you were smiling!

Take care and keep posting. We care.
 
I'm so glad you have all those photos!!! They really provide a great story of what goes on for those waiting for surgery. You have no idea how many people you have helped by posting them!! Thanks!
 
I asked for a conscious sedation; which means I got a spinal and a cocktail of stuff to make me very comfortable. I wanted to be as lucid as was allowed. Going in that way, for me, was much easier than to be put under completely. You still sleep; but you're in a more dreamlike state. It's very peaceful. :rolleyes:

I'm having the spinal too, but I told them I just wanted to take a nap :sleep:...same thing??? Do you remember anything about the surgery? I don't want to!!
 
I'm having the spinal too, but I told them I just wanted to take a nap :sleep:...same thing??? Do you remember anything about the surgery? I don't want to!!


Exactly the same thing!! :yes 4: This is how it was for me. I went in and laid down. I told the anesthesiologist that I was a bit nervous and he said, "No problem. Let me go get your stuff." He left and came back in what seemed like seconds. Then he put the cocktail in my IV tube and started the process. I got comfy in about a second. Then I started to feel good, like you are out on a really beautiful day, on an outing with those you love and you have all stopped at a soft green little hill for a rest. The sun is on your face, the grass is cool beneath you and all is right in the world. Then I drifted off. While out, I actually dreamed, very nice and pleasant dreams. When I came back to I was surprised I was even in the hospital. I felt good. No pain and very pleasant. I don’t remember a thing.
 
That's PERFECT! :thumb:Thanks for the visuals. Always help me. Guess that's why I work for the school district - we work all day with our students using visuals!!!

Have a great weekend!
 
Day Number 8!

Today it is really nice; it's a beautiful spring day and the sky is blue. It hasn't been blue since last Thursday here. My PT came this morning and actually made me go outside; but I'm jumping ahead.

I was using my cane; but yesterday I went ahead and switched back to one of my forearm crutches because the cane felt a bit too low. My Physical Therapist came in this morning and asked me if I was still using the cane. I explained that I had switched back and she made a funny face. I find her difficult to read, she's nice, just has an interesting way getting me to do stuff. It turns out that she would prefer it if I didn't use anything. I asked if she meant around the house? And she said no, everywhere, if I could tolerate it. She doesn't mean long distances but she wants me out and about walking around the block and such.

We did some PT inside and she added a couple more stretches to my regimen. Then she said it's time to go outside. Oh man, I was excited but a bit nervous. She said, "Come on. What are you waiting for? It's a nice day out there." Well, that's all it took for me to go. :tongue:

We stood on my street and she had me walk out from her and back in, several times; tweaking me ever so slightly. She said I have 15 years of behavior to unlearn; but not to over think it. It'll come. Then she said to only bring a cane so that people will get a visual as to that there is something going as well as if it starts to hurt and I'm not quite home yet; but she seemed reserved on that last point, like I may not "over do it." As odd as that may sound. It really made me excited and my confidence is really through the roof. I know not to overdo it; I did on Tuesday and yesterday I paid for it; but what she showed me today and how she explained things is really what I needed to hear. :redface:

Okay, so I seem to have had my words a bit mixed up about Fexion and Extension. :skeptical: My wife was reading this post and said I had my Range Of Motion statistics backwards. I was saying that my Flexion was -2 and my Extension was 100. She said that wasn’t really possible. Haha!! So my Extension was measure today at 2 and my Flexion was 100!!! :yay: From now on I think I’ll just say my Range Of Motion (ROM) was measured from 2 to 100. :wink1:

I just keep remembering what the Dr and my first Physical Therapist had said; that if I could get my Extension to zero then all else would follow. I haven't been able to straighten my leg any more than 10 degrees since 1996; so having my Extension at 2 really feels amazing!

I let it slip to my PT that my discharge orders had said to remove my bandages one week post op; so she wanted to remove them. I now can see the incision and I must say the surgeon did one heck of a nice job! Compared to the gnarly staples and leakage from the first event I'd say this one looks beautiful. I'll end this post with the pictures.

Also I wanted to pass on a really amazing icing technique the PT had suggested we try. It's where you take a gallon sized Ziplock freezer bag and into it pour 8 cups of tap water and 2 cups of rubbing alcohol (we used the 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol that was at the store). Try to get all the air out then seal it. Then place it inside another gallon sized freezer bag and seal that one, just incase it leaks. Then stick it in the freezer. It takes about 8 hours or so to fully get mushy. The brilliance of this is that it never fully freezes (Like a Margarita). So it makes it extremely easy to wrap it around your knee. I use two; that way I can have one under my knee and one on top. This is, by far, the best method I've ever used for at home icing! If anyone wants a step by step with pictures just let me know and I'll post some up. :friends:
 
Lonewolf,

That knee is looking pretty darn good. Appears not much sweling going on, keep up the good work, but take it slow and easy, that seems to win this race.
 
Wow Lonewolf, thank you so much for the pictures. I looked at the ones in the hospital and it helped that everything... looked normal... and you didn't look like you just lost a prize fight. Just normal. That helped immensely. Hey, maybe I can do this on Tuesday.

And I second what Karmigirl said, that knee looks fantastic. Way to go!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom