BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Ready for January RTKR

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by CAdesgirl, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    A dose of local anaesthetic, jut like any other medication, will wear off (be metabolised) after a certain amount of time. However, if more is added through the cannula, the anaesthetic effect will last longer - adding more is topping up.
    For example, say a dose of medication lasts for 4 hours. If you're given another dose towards the end of the 4 hours, you will get an effect from that medication for about 8 hours.

I can give you an example:
    About 15 years ago, my son had an accident and he had to have his right leg amputated above the knee. The trauma of the accident had caused his kidneys to stop working, so he couldn't be given any IV or oral medication for pain relief. Instead, he was given a femoral nerve block and through the cannula he was given a slow, continuous infusion of local anesthetic. That relieved his pain effectively for 5 days, until he'd had renal dialysis and his kidneys started working again.
    Once it was safe for him to have oral medications again, the femoral block was removed and he was given a combination of Tramadol and Paracetamol (Tylenol).

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "I want to know what to ask for at the bar."

2. CAdesgirl

CAdesgirl junior member

United States United States
    That was a joke. I want to know what to ask the OS about.

3. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    Ah, OK. I get it now!

4. CAdesgirl

CAdesgirl junior member

Can I get my thread renamed "Ready for January RTKR" since I have the date now?

I'm still waiting for my new knee (13 days and counting). I found this site about a month ago and have read just about every post-op thread for the last few years. I go through and read all of the new posts a couple of times a day. I say little prayers for those going through tough times either with recovery or through family issues. When someone answers Josephine's questions, I have started guessing at what she's going to say.With all of my reading, I've noticed some personalities that are similar to mine. The ones who are constantly pushing the limits and wanting to "just get back to living" remind me of my 2013-2014 life. I can't tell you how many times my surgeon got angry with me for doing more than he'd cleared me to do.

There's no guarantee that I'm not going to end up president of the ODIC but I'm hoping to have patience with myself and the healing process. When I first found out I needed the surgery, I told the doctor that I wanted to be back at work as quickly as possible. He just said, "Lets talk about that after the surgery". In doing reading before finding this group, I told work I thought I'd be back in 2-3 weeks (at least part-time). I've now let them know it'll be more like 6-8 weeks after everything I read on here. I know it's going to be tough because there's only one me and the President of the company has only been there since August. He told me not to worry, to be "selfish for myself"as my health is paramount and everything would work out just fine.

Anyway, I'm still scared of the surgery but I feel much better prepared for it. For that, I'm grateful to all who are a part of the BS team, those who come on to moan/groan and those who offer a story of success.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    I've changed your thread title, but now please will you tell me your surgery date and remind me what you are going to have done? Then I will be able to add that to your signature. Thank you. :flwrysmile:

6. CAdesgirl

CAdesgirl junior member

My surgery date is 1/10 and I'm have a Right TKR.

Thank you!

7. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    Thank you. I've added that to your signature.

8. SnowHare

SnowHare junior member

Canada Canada
    I absolutely understand the whole terror and excitement.

I injured my knee learning to drive at 3:00 am, 46 years ago. The emergency doctors were amazed that I hadn't shattered my kneecap. They stitched me up and sent me home. After a year of pain, I saw a surgeon. After doing dye tests on my knee (yeah, they did dye tests then), they discovered my cartilage was a mess, and it had damaged the inside of the patella. The surgeon smoothed out the inside of the patella, and he told me I'd have no pain for a year, and I would need surgery in about 20 years.

I had no pain for a year.

I've grown with the pain. I got used to it. When I saw the surgeon last year, he said he had rarely seen such a damaged knee, especially with someone who was still walking. I was also doing reels and jigs, but I didn't tell him that. He said that I should have had the knee done years ago.

Of course, the minute he told me how bad it was, it started hurting even more. I was raised with the mantra "It doesn't hurt as much as you think," along with a stoic attitude to pain in general. It's amazing how mind over matter can work, even to one's own detriment.

I've had one abortive start at the surgery. I was sent home from the hospital. Now I've had about 10 days warning for surgery. It's on Wednesday.

I'm finding the whole thing is like waiting for a baby to be born. I'm scared, yet excited.

I've had many surgeries in my life, and I know recovery takes time and is often painful. I'm scared, but I'm excited to have a better life. Nope, I'm exited to actually start having a life again.

Best wishes to you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CAdesgirl

CAdesgirl junior member

Thank you for your message. I'm definitely ready to start living again, too. The promise of being able to things I haven't been able to for years...

We'll get there!

10. X2mangie

X2mangie member

@CAdesgirl ! My gosh, you have been thru a ton! You are a pro! My surgery is the 8th and I am definitely scared spitless, but also anxious to have my new knee. We will do this and come out the other side!:console2:

11. CAdesgirl

CAdesgirl junior member

I know we will!

I figure the recovery from this can't really be any worse than the osteotomy or the muscle flap surgery (they moved 1/3 of my calf muscle to the front of my leg and the incision ran the from behind my knee to the achilles tendon). My real fear is infection but I'm sure that's the PTSD talking. I was looking at losing my leg at one point because the antibiotics were not working well. Thankfully, my reconstructive surgeon was pushy and got the ID to agree to try oral antibiotics after I developed a reaction to the vancomycin (vertigo is no fun). It took 4 months but I didn't have another abscess and the blood work came back clean. I didn't find out until December 2017 when they did nuclear testing that the MRSA was 100% eradicated.

I figure after that debacle, I can handle anything thrown my way. Plus, I found out that my big, brute of a husband has a real nurturing side and makes a fantastic care-giver. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. CAdesgirl

CAdesgirl junior member

UGH! The hospital called with their 100 questions today. It was going fine until she asked "Why did you have your labwork done so early"? I was perplexed by the question because I had it done as part of the medical clearance before they would even schedule the surgery. I told her that and she informed me I'd have to have it done over again because the 10th would be 34 days since the blood tests were done (on 12/7) and they can't be more than 30 days old. Seriously!?! After several phone calls, I finally was able to get the lab order submitted but now they want a fasting test so it has to be tomorrow morning (I found a lab open on Saturday).

I'm so frustrated and sore that I came home in tears. I told my husband I don't want to go out to dinner for our anniversary tomorrow so he's going to make my favorite dish for dinner. I just want to get on the other side. As nervous as I am about having the surgery, I'm scared that something is going to happen to put it off.

13. ebungalow

ebungalow junior member

@CAdesgirl

I’m so sorry - what a pain. I’m sure everything will work out, but this is the last thing you need right now!

I can imagine how badly you want to just get this surgery over with.

Hope you can enjoy your anniversary and your husband’s cooking tomorrow.

14. donnag1108

donnag1108 member

I am so sorry you are having issues. I drove myself absolutely crazy in the days leading up to my surgery that something would delay it but it went off as scheduled. I know how hard it is trust me but try not to do that to yourself to much. Getting ready for this is stressful enough. I began to look at it like this: I had done my part and the rest was out of my control, therefore there was nothing more I could do and if there was a delay there was a good reason for it. That seemed to help me settle down a bit. Hang in there it will be here before you know it! :doggie:

15. CAdesgirl

CAdesgirl junior member

I just got home from my blood draw and I'm feeling much better now. They assured me the doctor would have it in time. You're right, I have done everything I can to prep for this now all I can do is turn it over. I realized it's not just the pre-op stuff but trying to get everyone ready at work for me to be gone. Hearing from everyone how much I'm going to be missed is great but knowing that I'm critical to the company's success is weighing on me. I have to have faith that I have grown those around me well enough, I guess.

I so appreciate the support. I feel like no one in my world understands why I'm freaked. I'm usually the calm one and my nerves are a bit frayed. I'll be better when it's over, I'm sure.

16. donnag1108

donnag1108 member

Oh my gosh we are exactly the same. I was SO stressed and had so much anxiety about being away from work and it's okay. Your going to do great!

17. CAdesgirl

CAdesgirl junior member

Oh, Donna. Thank you! I guess I'm blessed that I love what I do and where I do it so I'm very invested in the company (plus we're employee-owned). Most of my non-work friends just don't get the attachment that I have to work but it's a real thing. I know everyone at work wants me to have the surgery and focus on myself but I can't help but be concerned about how they are going to cope without me. I've been there 21 years and I'm "momma bear".

I know that I need to focus on myself and I will. I'm sure my knee, who is quite the diva now, will demand that I give her my full attention after the surgery. It's just the thing I'm focused on now. Maybe it's easier to be concerned about work now that the surgery date is rapidly approaching. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

It's great that you love your job but as you say you will need to focus on yourself post surgery in the sense of letting yourself recover. As you say, your knee will demand the attention. :heehee:
    Sounds like you have supportive co-workers!