TKR Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange

@Jeaniesknees It's so encouraging to read how you improved without official physical therapy. I probably have a little of the old school thinking which says that doctors and medical professionals know better than I do, and that going against their advice is dangerous. I agree that sitting or standing for a while makes the first few steps pretty rough. My 87 year old mother in law had her knee replaced 11 years ago and she said after a year she felt great, she can do everything. That's what I'm dreaming about.
 
Hi, everyone, I hope I'm posting in the right area. I'm 10 weeks and 2 days out from my TKR. Having a hard time tonight and want to be sure I'm doing the right thing and that nothing is wrong.
I would say I hurt when I walk, but wouldn't categorize it as pain, more like soreness. My knee also feels stiff in spite of being able to bend and straighten. I don't feel like I have stability in that as I take a step forward, my knee goes back too far, and it's noticeable and uncomfortable. Everything I see on here tells me I'm still healing, and yet I keep being told by my PT that it's because my quads are weak. But how can I build them up when every time I go to PT I inflame my knee and am in pain. I canceled my appointments for two weeks, but am scheduled to go back next week for help with my walk. I'm so worried because I'm at a crossroads as far as my career. I'm a rep for a cosmetics company and obviously working in stores is kind of crazy after a TKR, not to mention a pandemic. My company says they would be happy to have me work even just one day a week if I can manage it, but right now, it all seems unimaginable. My plan originally was to go back a couple of days a week by now, but obviously, that didn't happen. Now I'm considering November as a possibility. Am I crazy to think I can recover enough to do that? Maybe I should find other outlets when I'm feeling more stable and comfortable. I just sure could use some expert opinions and views. I don't know what to expect anymore. Thank you so much for helping in advance!!
 
10 weeks is still very early in this recovery. Everything you describe is what I felt at that stage.

You could have a lot of improvement by November, but again, we are all different.
 
@Jockette Thank you, I might be impatient, or I might be trying to read the crystal ball and plan from that. I'm encouraged by your saying you felt the same way at 10 weeks. November is 5 weeks away, and I might feel better. Or maybe I will retire and write my memoirs! :type:
 
I think where you are at is very 'normal' at this point. To say you‘re 10 weeks post TKR sounds like a long time - but in reality it is not. The knee suffers a lot of trauma during the surgery - its still a brand new baby knee. Its telling you that its not ready for what you are doing.

Not enough can be said on the benefits of ice and elevation. Yes it gets boring but if it helps with pain and swelling then that is a good thing. You don't 'have to' go back to formal PT if you don't want to. That might be too much for your knee - you are the judge of that.

It will get better, but you’re just beginning your healing journey.
 
@eaglemom I think 10 weeks does sound like a long time, but I know you're right in the big picture of knee replacements, it Isn't. What a shame the surgeon doesn't tell you what recovery really means before surgery. I wasn't told anything except how much better I would be. I expected to be fine in 6 weeks and when I asked how long I would be recovering, I was told in 6-8 weeks I would feel a lot better. I think back on those words and am amazed they didn't elaborate. Don't you think we would all be more realistic and less depressed and frustrated if we had been better informed? I suppose they don't want to discourage anyone, or maybe there is a negative to being more honest that I don't know. But everyone I have talked to who has had this surgery has said the same thing, they had no idea.
 
@Reader525, you'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.
 
@sistersinhim Thank you, I always thought I was good with tech but I'm not sure I know how to use BoneSmart well! :thankyou:
 
You are welcome. I was confused when I first joined years ago and I found that bookmarking my thread made it easy for me to find it. You'll get there!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange

This is the address bar for your thread. If you click on the star symbol on the far right side, that will bookmark this page for you. Then you click on your name and it will take you to your preferences and bookmarks is there. Just click on that and you'll see your thread there. See where sistersinhim is on the bar? Your sign on name should be there.

[Bonesmart.org] Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange
 
@Rubietuesday Exactly right. How could we not be disappointed? No one told us it was going to be tough, or that it would take months. I wish the surgeon had been more honest. He could have said this..."This is a huge surgery, it will make you feel overwhelmed, and it is a long haul recovery. But that being said, you will ultimately be very happy you went through it. Do not expect to feel better for at least 3 months". What a difference that would have made to me.
 
I was told 2 - 3 weeks I would be almost as good as new.

Now I am thinking maybe at 6 months I will be almost to where I was pre-surgery if all goes well. Maybe if they were honest about recovery times they would have fewer $urgeries. I certainly would have waited and maybe tried micro-fracture again before committing to a PKR.
 
I do wish surgeons would give the patients a realistic recovery estimate. To them its a surgery, to the patient its our knee!! Realistic expiations would be a welcome change.

I will say at my last surgery my surgeon was pretty spot on with the time frame. I didn't like it when he said it, I don't like it while I'm going through it, but its what I was told. He's a rare find in a surgeon.

Slowly you'll start to be less and less aware of your knee and feel better. It just doesn't happen quickly.
 
@eaglemom You certainly are lucky to have a forthright OS, mine is a man of few words. He's pleasant enough but I can't imagine him being as open as yours. I have no doubt that the decision to be minimal in describing recovery has to do with financial and possibly legal issues.
All I can say is, BoneSmart saved me. If I hadn't been so miserable that first week after surgery, and looked online for help, thereby finding this forum, I don't know what would have happened. I have a friend who had her TKR on September 8th and I gave her this website, everyone should have your help who undergoes the surgery.
 
Slow and steady with the quads. It won't be an instant fix. I found that I could do some leg lifts (not the amount they wanted from the beginning) and as they got easier I knew I was getting stronger. As I increased daily activity that helped too. But 12 weeks is only part way through recovery.
As you heal you see you can do more, so you do.
 
@kneeper So interesting! We are all so different in our recoveries in spite of the basics being the same. I find squatting down over a chair and standing to be problem-free, no soreness the next day, but leg raises without weights makes my leg ache so. I think it's because I pull my toes back strongly and hyper straighten my leg, I can feel the ache the minute I start. Maybe I don't need to be as taut as all that, and it would be okay.
 
Good morning, Reader, and welcome! 10 weeks is very early in this challenging recovery! Try not to get dispirited. It is a shame the docs don’t let us know what we’re in for. I truly think some of them don’t really know themselves! And no, they are not gods and have to be obeyed mindlessly! It is your knee, and your recovery, and you must take control.
Slow and steady is the BoneSmart way if you choose to follow it. No stressful exercises, no “pushing through “ pain. Relax, ice and elevate. The healing will come.
 
@Sisterpat Thank you for your encouragement!!! It really helps to get responses to posts, it is such a lonely journey! I think waking up each day with the continuation of the pain from the day before is what does me in. Usually when you are in pain, each day is better. In this case, it's more like 2 week periods! That's rough. I've been working my entire adult life and to be idle, doing crossword puzzles and staring at Netflix doesn't feel like me!
However, I know you're right, rest, ice, be gentle and PATIENT!!! That's the key. There are some excellent videos on YouTube by Total Therapy Solutions on how to correct your walk after TKR.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom