TKR Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange

@Reader525 - Good Morning!
Gosh never rains but it pours does it? You will have extra work taking care of your husband after his surgery so getting outside help lined up and maybe trying that Hello Fresh or similar meal service ahead of time might help.
I know people who work full time love it and they say the meals are good and easy to prepare.
My husband had spinal /neck surgery last November- because of Covid I had been unable to go to his preop appointments with him to ask the questions about recovery so as he didn’t ask he was very much like your husband - I’ll be back to normal by a month -6 weeks tops! Well because of complications he had to wear a neck brace 24-7 and didn’t get that off until 6 weeks! Because of unrealistic expectations he did get pretty depressed and that was hard for me to cope with as he’s generally very upbeat. I had delayed my knee surgery as his was more crucial with nerve pain and have to say getting up and down, cooking more and taking on his chores didn’t help the knee! Get the ice machine going - if you don’t have it there is a pad for the back you can buy as an accessory. Good luck!
 
@patriciad So you have been through this yourself, huh. I hope your husband is doing well and is happy he went through the surgery.
I know it's going to be extra work for me and I hope I'm ready. I have started exploring options for meal services and also called the doctor's office for help with a medical transport for him from the hospital. I understand he will not be able to bend which sounds terrible to me.
I think he is going to be surprised by how he feels afterwards, his bravado will fade. The only positive in all this is maybe it will make him more humble, lol.
 
He is happy he went through the surgery and it is up to a years recovery for him too so he does have breakthrough pain and stiffness if he does too much - so there’s the two of us now potentially moaning and complaining :oyvey:but it is what it is and I had never thought to look on here for support for him so I will do now too. Have a good weekend.
 
I'm 12 weeks out today, the "magic" 3 months mark I heard about so often, the time one is supposed to be back to almost normal. Well, another disappointment.

I am so down and out today. In addition to feeling like I have cement in my knee area, I also have been dealing with occasional light-headedness. I might be"walking" the dogs, very slowly, and I will be overcome with the feeling that everything is spinning. If I lean over, I get dizzy and know enough to wait a minute and it will pass. I don't know if it's part of recovery or I should go see my primary care doctor.

I generally have low blood pressure, and know that it can happen if I get up too quickly, but now it is happening when I'm walking around.

Am I ever going to get back to my former self? At this point, I'm sortvof regretting the surgery.
 
I also have been dealing with occasional light-headedness. I might be"walking" the dogs, very slowly, and I will be overcome with the feeling that everything is spinning. If I lean over, I get dizzy

@Reader525 It could be medication-related. Are you still taking any NSAIDs? I developed vertigo after 4 weeks on Mobic following a previous surgery. It's not a "common" side effect, but it does happen with some NSAIDs (not to mention with opioids). I stopped taking it for a week and the vertigo went away; but when I resumed the medication, the vertigo came back after a few days.
 
@benne68 Oh how interesting. I'm taking 440 mg Aleve, that's 2 Aleve, when I get up. Then a couple of hours later, I take two 500 mg Tylenol. Then at bedtime, two more Tylenol. Previously, I was taking 800 mg Ibuprofen in the morning. I've cut down a lot. Maybe I should just stop taking everything and see what happens. Come to think of it, the lightheadedness started around the time I switched from ibuprofen to Aleve. Do you think that could be the reason?
 
@Reader525 It's certainly a possibility. The only way to know for sure is to withdraw it and see what happens.
 
So sorry to hear you are struggling- it does get overwhelming at times this up and down road to recovery we are on. I am a week ahead of you and am so fed up of having to constantly focus on my knee. It had been fine but just overdid it on Monday and it’s been shouting at me ever since! Did you find the Aleve helped. I tried one but as in the past it did nothing for me. Tylenol and Advil together works great. 1 tablet of each. I’d check the listed side effects for Aleve to see if dizziness/vertigo is one of them. If it continues I’d check in with my doctor as definitely don’t want to risk a stumble or fall. Thinking of you.
 
I don't know if it's part of recovery or I should go see my primary care doctor.
It is not a part of recovery. Go see your primary care doctor, if they cannot identify a cause, ask for a referral to an ENT to get to the bottom of what is causing your dizziness.
 
@patriciad Thank you! Aleve seemed to help BUT I did check the side effects and dizziness was number one, and here I am taking twice the recommended dosage and only weighing a little over a hundred pounds. I know I'm letting everything pile up on me, and I probably would feel better if I weren't giving myself some kind of timetable.
I probably did too much as well. It seems like people at our stage of recovery are walking a mile or so, so I tried to yesterday, and limped the last part home.
I see the surgeon for the last time next Wednesday. I have no idea what to ask him that I don't already know from being on BoneSmart.
Did you expect to feel better than you do at 3 months?
 
I’ve been through this before although it was 6 years ago since I had my first one done and I was shocked at how long it took to feel anything like normal. I did have the expectation that a PKR would be a quicker recovery than a full so yes I guess I did think I would be further along. I do also feel that aggressive PT was a big setback.
I’m not in much pain more an ache - I can walk about 3- 4,000 steps before the throbbing and need to rest kicks in. It’s best to try to take it day by day and take notice of the small improvements- it took me 10 months before I felt I had a good knee last time so on that basis I have some months of improvement ahead. You will get there and you are doing well, but maybe you do need to review your pain management with a doctor given your low blood pressure.
 
@patriciad Its good to know that being reasonable has its virtues. I know I can get ahead of myself and that leads to disappointment. To be 100% honest, if I weren't hell-bent on going back to work a couple of days a week the last week of October, I'd be in a better place. I think I look at retiring as "giving up", and it probably would be better if I didn't define myself by working. I logically may be better off not standing on hard tile floors and walking around all day and to find other ways to define myself. Furthermore, I physically might not be able to do it.
I'm going to call my primary care doctor tomorrow morning and make an appointment. I do think all these NSAIDs are contributing, and perhaps she will have an alternative.
You have been so helpful, thank you.
We're in this together.
 
It’s so good to have companions on this journey- so much harder to do it on our own.
You will be able to return to work if you still want to but maybe aim for a gradual return of 2 half days for the first month. Returning in October/November will be one of the busiest times of the year won’t it? You will need the staggered return to help you cope with the standing and walking on hard surfaces.
I am here to tell you that retirement is amazing and the opportunity to start something new. I would make a bet that something else would come along to fulfill you and make the best use of your skills and talents. It certainly did for me! So if you do find your job too difficult physically just trust that giving it up will open another door!
 
@patriciad You are so encouraging, and you make it sound great. Yes, it is the busiest time of year for me to be returning. If all goes well, I think I'll try your approach, half days to build up. I actually have no desire to work more than twice a week and my company is so accommodating. So we'll see!

Last summer I had an arthroscopy on my knee which was had a terrible outcome. I developed pes anserine bursitis which was excruciating every time I took a step. The recovery was painful and it was at least several months before I was walking, and it only lasted 2 months before the pain set in again. My TKR happened almost a year to the day of my arthroscopy. I feel like I have been dealing with this for a long time!

So glad you are here.
 
Many of us TKR and PKR patients have been dealing with ongoing knee pain and mobility difficulties for many months or even years before getting to the final option of replacement. Maybe that’s why we find it difficult to maintain trust and patience - after suffering for so long we’re out of both!
:heehee:
 
@patriciad Haha! Trust? Patience? What's that??? I have seen so many doctors and had enough tests to get an award for something, maybe for being patient?
Anyway, for what it's worth, I feel like myself, no more Aleve for me!
 
Okay, I had my final visit with my OS today. I told him about how I had aching pain in my shin and at the bottom of the surgical knee. He mentioned sciatica but it's not a nerve type pain. Also, it's definitely my bone. In any case, now I'm scheduled for an MRI of my spine. I had one a few years ago and there were no problems, and I'll be surprised if there is a correlation.

I also asked about acupuncture and have an appointment for that in a couple of weeks.

I am trying to remain positive, but it feels like it's always something.
 
@Jockette you have helped me so much, along with so many others on here. I need a few words from you with your knowledge and experience.

I saw my OS today and he was patient and encouraging...BUT when I told him about my aching down my shin and also where I obviously had been sawed at the top of the tibia, he asked if I had numbness in my foot or a backache. I said no, and he said I'm wondering if you are having back problems and I said I didn't have any back issues. He wants me to have an MRI of my back and I told him that I will do whatever he suggests.

So here I am facing a test which isn't easy for me, I'm a little claustrophobic, and I went through a back MRI at The Mayo Clinic a few years ago because they thought my knee might be a result of a bad back. It wasn't. Isn't it something pretty common to have aching pain after a TKR? Shouldn't be know this?

I asked about acupuncture because I know from others itvhas helped them with pain and I have an appointment scheduled for that.

I'm feeling so discouraged. Like I should be less uncomfortable and yet here I am, feeling sore and limping.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom