TKR Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange

Little outings will zap you for a while. But it gets better. Just try to have your outings on one day then an 'at home day' the next. That way if your sore its ok to rest more. But if your itching to play Tim Conway somewhere, you can do it. (You do realize I type that with a smile on my face.)

I also had two major knee surgeries in one year and toss in a broken bone just for grins. I kept thinking "what is wrong with me?" Then when I went to move I very quickly would realize my situation, oh 2 major surgeries! I guess I'm a slow learner. But once I realized its perfectly fine to give myself grace and not do it all in one day, then I relaxed and I think things for the knee settled down.

Have a wonderful weekend.
 
Question about the walking…what is heel toe walking?
 
[Bonesmart.org] Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange


Hi @Reader525 heel-toe walking is striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. It’s what’s classed as a normal gait and especially important during recovery to avoid residual limping.
 
Thank you @Legseleven I appreciate it. I’m going to be very conscious of that because it’s going to be a process for me.
 
So now, the patellar tendon which is attached to those same thigh muscles has a swollen and bruised feeling
When I had each patella removed, my patella tendons had to be shortened because there was no kneecap there anymore. I can relate to how that is feeling for you. I found the best thing for me was lots and lots of icing on those poor tendons. Have you tried that?
Recovery is most definitely not a day to day observation, it’s better to see it weekly.
So true. It's like trying to loose weight. They say to weigh once a week at the same time, on that day. It's so hard to do, but looking back on this recovery is the same thing. There's less disappointment if you judge week to week instead of day to day.
 
@sistersinhim Yes! Ice is such a good pain reliever. I think the quad muscles that were activated after my anterior hip replacement have been reactivated. It feels so similar to those early days. I don’t really have very much pain in my knee, it’s mostly the quads and the tight feeling in the knee. They made themselves known every time I moved during the night.
 
All those soft tissues have been aggravated by your surgery and will take a while to settle down. It's disappointing that our sleep is disturbed by nighttime pain.
 
@sistersinhim Another question because I never seem to run out of them, lol.
What is the reason my calf feels so tight and sore, almost like an overuse soreness. Is that from all the stress the surgeon put on my leg after the spacer exchange? Sean said the surgical team put my leg in every possible position to make sure that the spacer was correctly sized… he said physically we know you can attain those positions. I seem to rest easier when I know the reasons for things.
 
Yes, I bet that's exactly what is causing that soreness. Mine was extremely sore for a month or so. I was told it would be OK for me to massage it to help to eliminate some of the pain. I did help some. Have you tried that?
 
@sistersinhim No I haven’t, but I will be trying it later, thanks. I did toe raises and I could feel my calf muscle kind of catching, hard to explain, but not normal. Before surgery I did calf raises every day so I can feel the difference. I’m also wondering about a foam roller?
 
Help…I’m on the ledge. I have been complaining about the calf discomfort but I haven’t really looked at it because I’ve been so focused on the knee and quad area. I know lymph fluid has to go somewhere but I noticed after my shower perhaps looking at my calf area for the first time carefully, that it’s a little swollen. I’ve never had swollen ankles or lower leg swelling in my life, so it really struck me. My calf is and has been tight and resistant to movement since surgery, but I need some reassurance. Does this happen? Does it surprise anyone?
 
I’m sorry to read this, any pain or swelling in the lower leg post op is a known concern for potential complications. Is there any redness or pain in a specific place? Is it just the operated leg?
Does raising and resting the leg reduce the pain and swelling?

I’ve taken this from a UK NHS website: “If you have swelling in one leg/calf, throbbing leg/calf pain, warmth, redness/darkening of skin or swollen veins tender touch please call your healthcare team.”

Have you a post operative contact number? I’m sorry you’re experiencing this and would like to reassure you that if you are at all concerned about it then getting it checked soon is the best way forward for reassurance and peace of mind.
 
I think a lot happens to our body during a surgery, that takes a long time to heal. You’re only about 3 weeks post op, so I don’t find it surprising that you have tightness and even some new mild swelling. I had new things pop up from time to time for quite a while after my surgery.

You can always check with your medical team for assurance.
 
Hi Reader, I do understand your concern.
Some calf pain and tightness can be part of the normal recovery process as the tissues adjust and recover, especially this early on.

Even though it's usually nothing serious, it's a good idea to let your OS know about any new or persistent swelling. My guess is they will ask whether you're in pain, if swelling has increased, if the area is red / warm.
They will likely caution you to seek medical attention should you begin experiencing shortness of breath or chest pain.

In speaking with a member of your OS's care team, you're just making sure everything is healing on track and any reassurance they provide will hopefully give you the peace of mind you're seeking. Try keeping your leg elevated as much as possible and see if you notice a difference.
@Reader525
 
I know lymph fluid has to go somewhere but I noticed after my shower perhaps looking at my calf area for the first time carefully, that it’s a little swollen. I’ve never had swollen ankles or lower leg swelling in my life, so it really struck me.

My TKR leg was visibly swollen for approximately eight + weeks, along with the ankles and even my foot. Both feet felt swollen and probably were because shoes and slippers felt a bit snug. It all went down gradually, until one day I noticed it was gone.
 
Good Morning,
Just checking in to see how your calf is feeling today? I hope you're elevating, seeing results and resting comfortably. Thinking of you...
@Reader525
 
Hi @Reader525. Have you been able to get this problem with your calf checked out to be sure it isn't a DVT?

I had a somewhat similar problem after my first hip replacement and my OS sent me for an ultrasound. Turned out to be nothing and I was a bit embarrassed, but the entire medical team said "we'd much rather have you come in than assume it's nothing."

Please let us know how you are doing.
 
I had a somewhat similar problem after my first hip replacement
Same here.
I first called then went into my surgeon's office and my OS's PA examined me and put me through the motions of different movements. After one of these movements she said if I had a DVT, there was no way I would have been able to withstand what she directed me to do as she pressed deeply into the middle of my calf. After this she did not recommend an ultra-sound.

It is never our intention to frighten anyone here, but for something as serious as DVT can be, we'd be remiss in not advising you have it checked, or at the very least speak to, Sean, the PA, your OS or nurse from his care team.
I hope you're doing well today, Reader.
 
It was just like you, @benne68 , it’s soreness and some swelling in my calf muscle. I sent pictures and he didn’t even want to see me because both legs were the same size, the swelling was so minimal. No redness or anything like a clot would indicate. He also said if it were a clot I would be complaining about more than tightness. I really just needed encouragement and support because the calf business was not something I expected. He told me again about the scar tissue removal and how it’s like Velcro being pulled off healthy tissue and what that can feel like. So I’m relieved. I don’t think I’m going to be running to him anymore because it just makes me more anxious when it’s a normal part of recovery. ❤️‍
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom