Guest viewing is limited

TKR Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange

@Reader525 Well done. It’s always best to check out concerns like that, and that’s what is in post op guidance is when we are discharged from surgery. You were right to check, and we are glad you did. Thank you for letting us know, we are here to help and support as much as we can and knowing what happens next is also helpful for other members to read.
The thing is everyone reacts slightly differently because we are all unique and what’s normal for one, is not necessarily for another. It’s best always to check out any concerns you have.
Recovery can be a slow and tedious process. You’ll look back soon and see how far you have come. :flwrysmile:
 
Good news, Reader!
Thanks for updating us. I hope you're feeling reassured and you have a peaceful evening. :friends:
@Reader525
 
I'm glad that you feel better now. Its good that you checked in with your surgeon because you had a concern.

Deep breath and let recovery keep happening.
 
Thank goodness! I'm so glad it turned out to be nothing but normal post-op swelling and tightness.

You've got this, @Reader525.
 
Yippee! I'm so glad it's nothing out of the ordinary. Getting checked out was definitely the best thing to do.

After one of my many surgeries, I, too, had that awful discomfort. I was in an immobilizer and couldn't move my leg to try and work it out. My OS sent me to the hospital for an ultrasound and we found that there was no blood clot, just normal, after surgery things!

These recoveries can have such terribly scary moments. This is where Bonesmart is so helpful. We have all been through a joint replacement and can help guide members through their fears and concerns.
 
Hey there everyone. I had my first physical therapy session today and it was fantastic. My flexion is 121°, and I’ll take that 1°thank you very much. I don’t think I expected it to be that much. To let you know how flexible I am generally, my other knee is 150°. The therapist said my calf soreness seems to be due to my ankle not flexing the way the other one is. It’s pointing inwards and it needs stretching, so we worked on that. I also did sit to stand but need to be on a high bed , not a regular chair. I told her I am someone who needs a lot of reassurance and she heard me and encouraged me. I was given a sheet of exercises which I will do, and was set up for twice a week appointments for 6 weeks.
As today is the 4 week mark and I am now off the aspirin therapy and all other medications, I took an Aleve before the appointment and it was great, it made me so much more comfortable. I even walked out of the session without using my cane and felt good.
Right now I’m icing and relaxing before I do some light housework.
 
Glad you liked your PT and did well. That's awesome, Reader! :thumb:

Unless you're doing super light housework like washing a few dishes, wiping down kitchen surfaces, dusting, light easy meal prep, making the bed, etc...you may want to take it easy on the days you have PT sessions. I'd avoid the more strenuous household chores like vacuuming, mopping, scrubbing floors / bathtub, carrying heavy objects, climbing stairs repeatedly, at least this early on.

I believe there are two schools of thought on taking a pain reliever prior to your PT session.
In taking the Aleve, you may be masking pain, rather than feeling it. The NSAID might make your knee feel fine during exercises which could tempt you to push beyond what your healing tissues can handle, leading to increased inflammation and swelling afterward. You may miss the warning signs that your body isn't ready for certain types of more aggressive movement. If there is a lot of swelling afterward you may feel stiff for days post PT. The decision whether to take the pain reliever before PT is up to you, just wanted to give you some info to consider.

A peaceful rest of the day to you!
@Reader525
 
I don’t seem to be that sore this afternoon, @Layla , but it seemed more like an intake, measurement and gauging kind of thing. I think before my original knee replacement surgery I took my pain meds and it helped me, so I’ll probably take the Aleve, but I will be cognizant of my movements and be careful. I am such a cautious person by nature that I don’t often overdo.
I only puttered today, prettifying and such,no heavy duty. I treated myself yesterday to a pedicure which I usually don’t like but it felt good. Tomorrow is lunch with a friend.
 
Good! Thankfully you're not hurting. I'm glad to hear you'll be careful and don't intend to overdo it in PT.
Hopefully tomorrow you feel just as good, because sometimes you don't notice that it was too much until the next day, but it sounds like it was more of an introduction session today. :thumb:

Self care can be a mood booster, so it's great that you enjoyed the pedicure. I hope you have a nice relaxing lunch with your friend tomorrow. Have a good night, Reader!
@Reader525
 
It sounds like you're getting back to normal life. Good for you! As Layla said, go easy on the housework on those days you have PT. That would be putting your knee through a double workout!
 
I feel pretty good this morning. I found out at PT yesterday the pain I occasionally feel is from the Pes Anserine and I had that before. Actually after my first surgery which was an arthroscopy to repair the meniscus. Boy that was terrible and I hoped I would never get it again. Everything I’ve read says it takes weeks to get better. It isn’t constant but out of the blue it will say hello and remind me it’s there. Not even when I’m doing anything, just sitting here.
 
Glad you're starting out the day feeling pretty good! :thumb:
I'm sorry for that pain just appears out of nowhere. I hope it's few and far between and soon behind you.
Here is an article from the BoneSmart Library, which you may have read? -> HERE
I hope you have a lovely weekend, Reader!
@Reader525
 
I had that and my OS's PA sent me for ultrasound on it. It helped so much that I bought one from Amazon! The PA said definitely no exercising on it, that it needed to rest and the ultrasound to help it.
 
@Layla This is very helpful,thank you. Have you ever tried that massage ball recommended in the link you sent? I’ll tell you after suffering from that before I thought I was done with it. The only reason it seemed to go away was due to my total knee replacement. I figured, oh okay, it won’t come back now. But after Sean told me they pulled my leg in every possible position to ensure I had the capability to move adequately with the spacer exchange they chose I asked him if some of my muscle pain was due to that and he said it very well could be. So here I am. The PT said a foam roller might help me but in your opinion, and I won’t hold you to anything, lol, do you think I should invest in a massage ball recommended.
 
@Reader525

My PT encouraged me to get a Theragun Mini Massage Gun to use at home. It's a slightly smaller version of the one he uses in his practice.

I use it regularly -- even now -- for any tight areas. It comes with three different heads for different areas of the body. They aren't cheap, but I'm so happy I invested in one. I've definitely gotten my money's worth. (I even take it with me when I travel!)
 
Gosh! I just sent you a note- but now just see the "velcro" comment- Me too! Terrifying and very unsettling.
 
No, I'm sorry, but I haven't tried the massage ball recommended in the link I left you, Reader.
I did do a quick SEARCH for you using the key words "massage ball" but I didn't read through the threads that popped up.
Check the posts out when you have time to see if anyone used this item with success -> HERE

If interested in trying this, it looks like you can purchase this item relatively cheaply (under $20) via Amazon.
Best Wishes.
@Reader525
 
How did the ultrasound help, isn’t that just a diagnostic procedure?
What I used was a therapy ultrasound, not the diagnostic one. And YES, the pain in that tendon has never come back! You can google it and read about them.
 
You hit a milestone...Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're enjoying the weekend so far. We finally have some nice weather in the Upper Midwest. It's a bit cooler, low humidity, which feels...fresh. I hope your day is bright, sunny and all you want it to be.
A anniversary flower for you. :flwrysmile:
@Reader525
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom