TKR Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange

Of your surgeon says you can ditch them, then I would do so. They are really just for DVT prevention.
 
Once a person is up and moving around pretty frequently, I don't think they're needed for most patients. I've had 12 knee surgeries and never had to wear them. It really depends on you OS and your activity level. I was single during my surgeries, so the OSs knew I'd be up and moving around doing my ADL.
 
Agree with @sistersinhim that once you are up and about the risks of DVT are low ( unless you have specific risk factors that your surgeon would know about).
They are really uncomfortable and difficult to get on and off at the best of times. Getting rid of them is one of the markers of getting back to normal life. Icing and elevating interspersed with regular activity is better for helping with swelling and healing.
 
Personally and if the surgeon has said you can stop using them, I certainly would. They are a workout just getting them on. Are you hesitant to to stop wearing them? It seems if your changing sheets, etc your moving about enough that DVT's shouldn't be an issue.

You've got this. Remember ice and elevation are your besties right now.
 
@eaglemom I can tell you with certainty that compression socks are so nice to get rid of, I know they are useful, especially for people with circulatory issues, but ugh, so icky to me. I guess I have read that they help with swelling and since I still have a little, I wondered if wearing them would help the swelling part, nothing to do with the clots or DVT.
 
I guess I have read that they help with swelling and since I still have a little, I wondered if wearing them would help the swelling part,
Honestly, mild swelling can last for months. It takes at least 12 weeks for the soft tissues to recover from the surgical trauma they endure.

It sounds like you don't have to worry about them at this point.
 
I guess I have read that they help with swelling and since I still have a little, I wondered if wearing them would help the swelling part,

Elevation should help -
It is our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on its own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.

Article -> Elevation Is Key
Find some good tv, or a book, get those legs up...to get swelling down. :thumb:
Good Luck!
 
@Layla thanks! Now I have a really easy question that I think I remember from the first knee surgery. Why do I feel like I have a band or vice around my knee. Does that question make sense?
 
If you are concerned about swelling, you can wear normal compression socks. I wear 20mmHg graduated compression socks. I find these quite comfortable and help my severe arthritic foot pain/swelling. You can ask your doctor his opinion about them.
 
FWIW, at my six-week post-op with the PA, I asked about wearing knee-high compression socks. She discouraged it, as she said the fluids would collect right above, in the knee area. That made sense to me, so I didn't bother.

Now that the swelling is almost gone, I've tried wearing a compression knee sleeve at night. I really like it and I have less knee pain at night when wearing it, but it seems to dry the skin out rather badly, leading to a lot of flaking. Ew. I'm not sure why that happens, but I'll experiment some more with a different brand.

However, a compression knee sleeve is something you might want to try at some point.
 
Happy Friday, Reader!
How is the week going for you? Checking in to say Hi and see how things are progressing. Hope you've had a lot of good moments since you last posted. :fingersx:
Wishing you a peaceful relaxing weekend.
@Reader525
 
@Layla So nice to be thought of! I am off the ledge and seeing some incremental progress, which does a fragile mind and body good. I think sleeping a little better than last week too. Recovery is most definitely not a day to day observation, it’s better to see it weekly. A week ago was more difficult for me. One thing that makes this recovery a little unique for me is that 5 months ago I had my hip replacement, about 4 months to the day of my knee replacement revision. My hip surgery was the anterior approach. This is important because my most significant pain was from my thigh muscles which were contracted so much they almost spasmed the first few weeks. So now, the patellar tendon which is attached to those same thigh muscles has a swollen and bruised feeling. My physician assistant, Sean, told me they swung my leg in every conceivable direction to make sure they had the right fit for the spacer. So. Now I am left with re-inflamed thighs and that is a slow healing from what I’ve read. I am doing my heel slides, walking around and ADLs. Yesterday I was depleted energy-wise and just gave in. Today I am considering going for a drive, maybe stopping in Bath and Body Works to sniff things. We’ll see.
 
Yesterday I was depleted energy-wise and just gave in.
This was a really good thing to do. You are still in the very early stages of the healing. Although the procedure is on one joint, recovery requires energy from the whole body. Keep listening to your body and rest when it asks for rest.

I don't know if you've ever seen this diagram of energy drain, but even if you have, it's worth another look. (Be sure to scroll down to the second post in this thread):
 
One thing that makes this recovery a little unique for me is that 5 months ago I had my hip replacement, about 4 months to the day of my knee replacement revision.
So, you are recovering from two major surgeries, which is quite a demand on your body’s healing process. Give yourself a lot of grace, your body is doing the best it can to heal.
 
@benne68 That is a great illustration of what our poor bodies are going through. Patience is key, but elusive! We’re rewarded for pushing and striving. Accomplishing way more than expected is thought to be tough and awe-inspiring so no wonder sitting around with an ice pack makes us anxious.
@Jockette I’ve been trying to gently remind myself that this is a lot of stress on anyone, recovery is like a marathon, start slow and steady, keep going until you are bursting over the finish line.
 
Hi again, Reader. Thanks for the update.
Thank goodness for progress! No matter how small, it certainly helps to have conformation you're heading in the right direction.
Recovery is most definitely not a day to day observation, it’s better to see it weekly.
I agree strongly. In my recovery, I chose a day of the week and each week, on that same weekday, I'd look back and to see what had improved. It was much more gratifying than looking for daily progress.
You have endured a good measure of controlled trauma over the past five months and that takes a toll both physically and emotionally. It's a lot to process. Take it slow and easy and know that it's going to be awhile.

Enjoy your drive if you take it and "sniffing" your way through B&BW if you make it there. I often use the foaming hand soaps and am loving Fiji White Sands and Sunwashed Santal currently. Smell so good!
Happy Weekend! :SUNsmile:
 
@Layla I made it to B&BW! I was so nervous, like I was going to the dentist haha. I was worried about walking across the roadway like Tim Conway with my cane. There’s handicapped parking but you still have to cross where the cars go. And of course a car came and stopped as I inched across the street. Self-conscious as could be, but that’s just always me.
I sniffed around and yes! The Sunwashed Santal is so good and I ended up getting 5 Wallflowers for $28. No one commented on my infirmity, naturally, and a woman came in on a walker with her husband so I wasn’t the only one with a challenge. I noticed I felt a little fuzzy, not strong as usual which has always been a trigger for me to have anxiety. I immediately start thinking what ifs…what if I pass out kind of thing. But I didn’t.
I inched back to my car and drove across the parking lot to Trader Joe’s and bought some tomatoes and parsley for a garbanzo bean salad im going to make for dinner.
My walking is pretty bad. Don’t forget I hyperextended for years, and it’s still sore and stiff so I’m not going to win any prizes for achievement in that category. I’m looking forward to physical therapy this coming Thursday for some guidance in that direction.
I can’t wait to get my stamina back.
 
You're funny! The Tim Conway comparisons, lol. :heehee:
I remember feeling hesitant when I was still in early recovery and not moving that quickly when someone would courteously stop their car to let me cross a parking lot etc. I felt self conscious for some reason, likely because I knew I wasn't moving that smoothly yet and couldn't quicken my step a little to show my appreciation for letting me go first. I was always sympathetic toward people with canes and walkers, but have more patience with them now than I ever did before.
I noticed I felt a little fuzzy, not strong as usual which has always been a trigger for me to have anxiety. I immediately start thinking what ifs…what if I pass out kind of thing.
I'm proud of you. You got out, you carried on through the "what if" thoughts and I'll bet as soon as you got in your car (your safe space) you felt better. I consider today a win!
I believe in early recovery, when we're often tired and feeling differently than normal, our body is keenly tuned into every sensation. You mentioned you were anxious before you entered the store so any unusual sensation can trigger those worrisome thoughts, the "what ifs". You will gradually rebuild trust in yourself and those annoying intrusive thoughts will fade away.

Glad you like the Sunwashed Santal. It's a good one.
You'll be walking confidently in no time and your sleep should improve also. Your PT sessions will help with your gait. Don't forget about heel-toe walking.

Enjoy the garbanzo bean salad and have a relaxing Friday evening. Ya did good today!! :ok:
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom