TKR Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange

today I did a little, changed the sheets. Did a load of laundry, general light puttering,

is this kind of inactivity bad for my recovery or is it maybe good for me right now.
I don’t call this “inactivity” at only 15 days post op! You do need to move around to give your healing knee mobility, and these kind of “activities of daily living” are what I like to call “natural PT” and in my opinion, this is the best kind of PT.
 
I think changing sheets and putting bed back together is fantastic seeing you are only 15 days into your recovery. And when your body says that’s enough for now listen to it and relax!
Enjoy your weekend.
 
In the first few months after my surgery, I would do one extra chore a day, and then rest the next day. If my knee was still angry about my added activity on the second day, I'd rest that day, too, and do just the required daily activities. I found this routine worked well in my recover and kept my pain and swelling down.

We have to find what works well for us. What worked for me might not work for you or anyone else. Each knee recovery is different!
 
@sistersinhim , isn’t that the truth. Probably everything is magnified for me, and seemingly everyone else who has replacement surgery, by the lack of sleep. I didn’t have that much of a problem after my hip replacement, but this is just awful. Dread going to bed where I am only comfortable on my back. Lack of sleep is the bane of the human condition, it’s so necessary for rational thought and anxiety just blooms. I looked up on the forum and it seems everyone suffers.
 
@Jockette “If you don’t mind, it won’t matter”, that’s a good one! The way it’s all clinically accurate and laid out is reassuring. I guess it’s another necessary path to go down after a TKR, there are so many! I’m tempted to say if the sleep problems weren’t there, we’d all be at least 50% better. I’m going to try not to panic tonight when I’m lying awake like a mummy on my back staring at my ceiling fan. I guess I thought if I turn on the light then I’ll be awake for hours. :beg:
 
@Legseleven those links were GREAT. My 93 year old mother-in-law has had 2 knee replacement surgeries and a hip replacement, she told me before and she has repeated it since my last surgery that you can do ADLs and walking and you will recover just fine without all the pain and stress of physical therapy. She’s done it both ways with the same outcome and less stress. She said that the body wants to recover, let it.
 
I was reading back through and 6/11 is still a bit away. Don't try to be 'ready' for the therapist, if you know what I mean. Listen to your body and go forward.

I will tell you that with my last replacement my home PT (insurance mandated) we had a heart to heart. Well, more like I told her I wasn't doing anything except walking or heal slides and if she didn't like it she could leave. That was very difficult for me, but I did it. I said she would never touch my knee. She wasn't happy at all. I explained she should be happy because she was being paid to walk beside me half of a block and then back - that was it. She didn't see the humor! I held tight to my rules, she ask it visit if I'd changed my mind, nope. When (again insurance mandated) I had to go to PT I told them the same thing. I would ride the recumbent bike there but not do much else. The PT so wanted to force my knee down, but he didn't get the chance because I was brave enough to use my voice. I have no doubt that you can do the same. use your voice on what you will and will not do.
 
@eaglemom I am so impressed with your strength, good for you, brava! I had an easy time with my bending with my first knee replacement. This time it’s harder. Sean said I’m probably at between 90-100. I don’t want to get hung up on numbers, but is that terrible?
 
I went no PT for the hip. Fortunately I found bonesmart & all who had come before me!
I did PT for my ankle but that was a joke. First appointment was very nice but after that I had assistants telling me to do five of these and ten of those. I can do that at home and save my $35 copay! I was brutally honest with PT saying $35 3x’s per week not in my budget!
 
I don’t want to get hung up on numbers, but is that terrible?
No, it's good
Keep in mind that regaining ROM doesn't require aggressive bending or challenging movements, in fact that approach can be self defeating. It is more about consistent, gentle repetition over time. Healing takes time, time for the body to recover, for the pain and swelling to ease, and for everything to settle. Your ROM is already there, just waiting for the right conditions to emerge. In most cases it doesn't need to be forced, struggled for, or stressed over, It will come naturally and gradually.

So it is best to refrain from engaging in movement that causes discomfort or pain, or allowing anyone to forcefully manipulate your leg. While your range of motion is currently limited, it will naturally increase as the swelling subsides and the pain eases. Give it time, Reader, without getting hung up on numbers or unrealistic timelines and you'll do just fine. :thumb:
@Reader525
 
@Reader525 you’re doing great. Please don’t think about anything other than ADL’s (daily living) and generally moving about often to the kitchen, bathroom and some fresh air. Everything else will come, no forcing or fierce PT necessary. Please see how far you have come in 2 weeks. Another 50 weeks or so to go. You’ll be fine.
 
@Legseleven So true!! Haha. If there were one thing I could change about myself it would be my excessive overthinking and worrying. I even told Sean that, and that I needed constant encouragement and reassurance. So tiresome to others, I know. This morning I went to the side deck and with my cane, walked down the 4 steps to the yard and then back up again 3 times.
Baby steps. Can you imagine how many “what ifs” I came up with? :loll:
 
Sean told me I don’t need to keep the compression socks on anymore, which was like being let out of jail, but I was wondering if anyone thinks it could help with swelling of the knee. Or possibly just wearing them part of the day. Believe me, I loathe and detest them, but I would if it seemed like it would speed things along.

@Legseleven , @benne68 , @Layla , @alex_mom , @Jockette @EalingGran and everyone!
 
Personally, I'd be inclined to take direction on this from the OS over your PT. Your surgeon and his care team can best make that decision because the OS's recommendation to wear them is tied to your recovery and usually blood clot risk. So I'd advise you check with the office before tossing them aside. They're awful, I understand, but please be safe, rather than sorry.
Hope you have a peaceful Sunday!
@Reader525
 
Strongly agree with Layla on this. Compression hose are generally ordered by physicians when there is a concern about the potential for a blood clot forming in the leg. It's not about swelling or speeding up recovery; it's about preventing a DVT -- which could be life-threatening.

I know they are awful -- had to wear one for two weeks after my first hip replacement -- but they do serve an important purpose.

How long does your surgeon want you to wear them?
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom