Guest viewing is limited

TKR Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange

I have really seen an improvement in my gait,
This is great news! Improving gait is a really positive marker for recovery.

I'm sorry the calf is still bothering you, but remember that you are still early days. It usually takes 12 weeks for the soft tissues to recover from surgery. Give it a bit more time.

:flwrysmile:
 
That's a hot one! Ninety seven degrees....YUK! We were in the 90's yesterday also at 90 degrees again today.
Definitely a heat wave in many parts of the country. I don't know that I could enjoy a walk outdoors when it's in the 90's, so you're a champ, Reader! :egypdance:
and this lumpette is drooping down over the top of my knee, ick.
Lumpette, bahaha...that's funny! Sounds like it continues to go down so that's great news!
I am sorry your calf is still bothering you, I agree that it will likely ease given more time.
I know I am not going to be perfect, my surgeon and his PA both said we are going to improve you but we re not going to fix you
My surgeons PA said the same to me, but worded differently. She said... a prosthetic joint will never match your natural one, but it gets pretty darned close.

Happy for you that your gait has improved.
I wish you the best for your follow up next week. Please let us know how it goes.
 
Good morning! I had a great visit with the PA, Sean, yesterday. He was very pleased with the progress I’m making. He showed me that my leg cannot hyperextend and that was a good moment for me, very reassuring. I have an appointment with the surgeon in 2 months for him to assess everything and have an X-ray.
I am going back to work today, only for about 5 hours, and then I’m off tomorrow and will work again the next day. Only 2 days split up this week.
I am doing my physical therapy consistently, but apparently the new think is not to skip any days, yikes. I haven’t but today I will be. What does everyone think about skipping days, because as a person who is determined to do everything right, I am worried about not doing anything.
 
I am doing my physical therapy consistently, but apparently the new think is not to skip any days, yikes. I haven’t but today I will be. What does everyone think about skipping days, because as a person who is determined to do everything right, I am worried about not doing anything.
I'm not sure where this "new thinking" is coming from, but it's inconsistent with everything I'm reading from the top orthopedic researchers.

Soft tissues need time to recover in between workouts -- and it takes between 11-12 weeks for soft tissues to heal from the trauma the endure during surgery. You don't want to overwork those muscles, tendons and ligaments this early in recovery. Alternating days is the best way to allow that recovery.

Regardless, if you are going back to work, you will be doing a lot more ADLs (activities of daily living). So, please do not feel guilty about taking a day off from the PT exercises.
 
Agree with @benne68
Please listen to your body and Activities of Daily Living provides a lot of incidental PT.
You’re in charge of your body and your knee is the boss. You’ll find your way through this and there’s no right or wrong way.
I am sure the fact that you can’t hyper extend must have been very reassuring. :flwrysmile:

You’re doing great and recovery can’t be rushed.
 
:carols:I'm joining the chorus on the responses to your post. Don't worry about missing PT.
because as a person who is determined to do everything right, I am worried about not doing anything.
I think you'll likely realize you're doing just as well, if not better, even with skipping PT a few days a week.
Let us know, I'll be curious to hear your opinion after a week or so.
I hope you have a nice weekend, Reader!
 
@Layla thank you for your words of wisdom. First of all, my first day back to work was harder than I expected. I was feeling off, and my leg was achy. My knee felt tight too! I made it through with a few sit downs and icing, but truly was surprised by my fatigue. The tightness in my knee made me a little off balance, but I was aware of it and careful.
I had my physical therapy session this morning and my wonderful therapist assured me it’s a long recovery and I’m slowly climbing the ladder up to healing. Today was all about stretching and she put heat on my knee which felt really good. She told me heat is very good at my stage of recovery in rotation with ice. She also suggested a warm bath with epsom salts, as well as rubbing Arnicare on my knee when I massage it as Sean said I should do.
Has anyone used Arnicare or Arnica pills for muscle pain?
I am confused about how much exercise is required, necessary or perhaps is too much. I consistently did 30 minutes strengthening exercises including mini squats every day for 3 weeks. My knee started hurting and feeling tight. I realized the mini squats were hurting as I did them so I cut them out. It’s like the 3 bears, this is too much, this is too little, this is just right. How does one know?
Remember I am a little compulsive and want to do everything right. Probably good trait in some respects but not a knee recovery.
 
I'm sure you have read on here about the many of us that chose to not take formal PT or do any exercises. I'm one of them. I had many daily activities to do that were 'natural PT' and I recovered just fine. Don't worry about not doing your exercises every day. Your knee will recover nicely regardless.
 
Hello and Happy Friday! :wave:
I'm not surprised that your first day back to work was difficult. I'm sorry, Reader. Makes it not as fun to rejoin your colleagues and jump back into the swing of things. Returning to work can place new demands on your knee which is still very much in healing mode. Even though your knee may have a better physical appearance, don't let it fool you. The deep tissues, muscles and bone is still recovering from the controlled trauma of joint replacement. Not sure of what it takes to get you to your post (for lack of a better term) at work, but if it involves a lot of walking, stairs, standing, getting up and down from a seated position, it all adds up. Extra activity can increase swelling which does make your knee feel tighter.

It takes mental energy to return to work along with the physical and both can cause fatigue. It sounds like you are easing back in and hopefully you're able to do that for several more weeks. We normally recommend a phased return to work at twelve weeks post op, but we realize that is not an option for many.

I am confused about how much exercise is required, necessary or perhaps is too much. I consistently did 30 minutes strengthening exercises including mini squats every day for 3 weeks. My knee started hurting and feeling tight. I realized the mini squats were hurting as I did them so I cut them out.
Basically, this is how you'll know, you'll feel it during the exercise, or notice it the next day. We really do have to take cues from our body because it will let us know. Keep this in mind - "Pain Is Your Body Asking For Change"
It's understandable you want to do it all right, I felt the same, but realized trusting my body over another's direction, who can't feel my pain, is the best form of self care.

A quick forum search on where Arnica has been mentioned in other's threads -> Arnica
Glad the stretching and heat felt good at PT, just what you needed today it seems.

Thanks for the update. I hope you have a lovely weekend! :)
 
@sistersinhim @Layla @Legseleven I have a question. In regards to the Arnicare gel, I read @Layla ‘s link on arnica and mostly it refers to bruising help. Mine is more muscular soreness. My physical therapist suggested it and also Biofreeze. Do you think that’s something I should get and try for my Pes Ansernine as well as my quad and calf soreness?
 
I tried the Arnicare gel, and it didn't help me. Biofreeze definitely helped, as did diclofenac cream.
 
I can see the Biofreeze helping with the muscle soreness in the quads and calf, but I'd avoid putting anything on the surgical scar at this point, avoiding it completely.
Once you've tried it, let us know how you feel about it, because we're interested and we care, and also because the information may benefit another following behind. Good Luck, I hope it works for you!
@Reader525
 
If you decide to try diclofenac cream, keep in mind that it is an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) and should not be used in combination with oral NSAIDs (ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.) without direction from your doctor on dosage.

Let us know what works for you.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope the week is off to a good start for you, Reader.
Let us know if you tried either topical for pain and if so, are you experiencing any relief? :fingersx:
Best wishes for a good week!
@Reader525
 
Hi @Layla , thanks for the anniversary wishes! Today was a long day at work and then a stop at Trader Joe’s on the way home. I actually mentally stepped outside of myself and looked at what I had accomplished in a relatively short period. Four weeks ago I was beside myself with depression, worry and pain, and now I am on my feet 6 hours, pretty much back to almost normal.
This is not to say I am completely pain free, because I’m not, but it’s fairly low level and manageable. My kneecap aches occasionally, the pes anserine is sore here and there, the calf is slowly easing up but there’s a stiffness. The area I notice most is the capsule where my device is, inside the knee. I am pretty sure it was irritated by my overly enthusiastic mini squats. I have been very sore from exercises that focus on repeating knee bends so I decided to stop those. What a difference. Listen to your body! I have still kept up with the others. I tried the Biofreeze and the Arnica and I think the Arnica may have helped me, but the Biofreeze patch with Lidocaine might as well have just been some contact paper I put on my leg..nada. I’m going to continue with the Arnica and be more cautious about repetitive knee bends, for now.
 
I have been very sore from exercises that focus on repeating knee bends so I decided to stop those. What a difference. Listen to your body! I
Great decision! It generally takes about 12 weeks for soft tissues to heal from surgical trauma, so you aren't too far away. Give yourself a bit more time to recover before you pick them up again. You will be able to get back to doing those exercises.

Six hours on your feet! Wow, you are doing really well!
 
It is amazing how our body repairs itself. It's wise you're listening to your body and avoiding movement that causes you pain. You're doing so well! Just think how much better it will get since you're only two months post op. I am happy for you, Reader. :thumb: :)
@Reader525
 
How is everyone doing this hot July! I’m continuing to improve and am now working my regular hours. I’m surprised by my resilience and appreciate how fast I bounced back. I would say I was myself between 8 to 9 weeks out. This is not to say I’m pain free, although possibly I can say I’m pain free but not discomfort free. Oddly enough my hip flexors bother me the most, my knee has discomfort but my hip flexors are on the verge of being painful. I only am aware of them when I do my knee exercises, like leg raises. This surprises me because it was 6 months ago that I had my THR, and I would expect them to have calmed down. My physical therapist is aware of it and we are going easy on repetitive motion. I wonder if my surgeon’s decision to have me forego PT is why they never strengthened. But honestly they have been sore since the surgery, and I don’t think I could have done anything.

I have tried Arnica gel and Biofreeze. My verdict is “Meh”. If I try hard enough I might think it helped a bit, but not enough for me to really extol its virtues. I am going to give it some more consideration because I’ll use it up. I also bought silicone patches for my scar. And my lumpette above my knee is slowly getting smaller. Slowly. If I look at it with rose colored glasses.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom