TKR Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange

I'm sorry you haven't heard back yet on the tape. You'd think an on call physician, nurse or PA would have contacted you by now. I can understand your frustration, you're dealing with a lot. The physical pain of early recovery, along with the information you discovered.

My main concern would be the infection and you will need to speak to your OS about this, rather than the PT. The infection may have caused the loosening and affected bone also. Was the infection active, confirmed and identified? Did he find the implant was loose during the spacer exchange? Was there bone loss or fracture around the implant? Go through that list with him as an opportunity to gain some insight.

I'd also ask the OS if he has any concerns about the success of your recovery. Try not to worry until you can actually meet with or at least speak with him. Consider calling earlyTuesday AM to request an earlier follow up
visit, or at the very least a call from the surgeon ASAP for some clarification.

This IS a lot, but you can do this. Try to relax and get as comfortable as possible and maybe have a little bbq out in the fresh air and sunshine with hubs? :yes:
You're going to be okay, you just need an explanation and some reassurance from your OS.
Hugs and best wishes, Reader!
@Reader525
 
Good morning reader,
You have been through hell and back with this knee and now a rash from the tape and no one getting back to you.
I can feel your frustration and discomfort. I’m so sorry all of this is happening.
Please keep us posted.
I have no solid advice other than to listen and hope you get some answers.
 
@myglasshalffull Just being acknowledged by you makes a difference. I think I have definitely been to hell, maybe not back yet! I never, ever thought any of this would happen when they wheeled me into the OR. I have such a deja vu about the knee replacement. I feel like I'm going through it again, and I hadn't planned on it. Everything has left me feeling emotionally unprepared. Then to not trust my doctor anymore, it's too much. I'll let everyone know what happens next. I can't thank you enough for reaching out to me @benne68 , @Gwennie , @sistersinhim @Layla as well.
 
On a different note...I have come to see what a terrible side effect Opiods have. I understand it's not that way for everyone, and they are lucky. For me, the anxiety, catastrophic thinking and worry are not worth it. Do they relieve pain? Sometimes, but never completely. I'm off them now for 2 days and am only taking Tylenol. Do I have pain? Yes, but I feel more like myself. I suppose it's very hard for science to create a pain pill that doesn't cause addiction and negative side effects. When you think about the human condition, aging, sickness, well there will always be pain and desperate people wanting relief. I guess I realized my pain is not going to get worse, only ease a little as the days go by. I can tolerate that. Ice helps a lot too.
 
You might want to ask your doctor about Journavx , which is a new non-opioid pain medication approved by the FDA in January 2025 for moderate to severe acute (not chronic) pain. It seems to be a good option for people who prefer or cannot take opioids.

A retrospective study presented at the 51st Annual Regional Anesthesiology and Acute Pain Medicine Meeting by investigators at Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS), found that it was generally well tolerated by postoperative orthopedic surgery patients. According to the study authors, it works differently from standard over-the-counter pain relievers and stronger medications like opioids buy targeting the pain signal on the nerves rather than in the brain.
 
Wow, I've never heard of it. I'm definitely going to ask about it. Thank you so much @benne68 !
 
Reader,
I do not like opioids either. I’m more of an extra strength Tylenol type.
I could never get addicted to oxy cause it makes me so nauseous.
After my ankle and hip surgeries it was prescribed. And everyone told me to stay ahead of the pain so I took the oxy Day one at home. I think they sat in my cabinet after a day or two and I just took the Tylenol.
 
I realized my pain is not going to get worse, only ease a little as the days go by. I can tolerate that. Ice helps a lot too.
This is so true. Arthritis pain just gets worse, while a joint replacement becomes less painful as it heals. There is something to look forward, too.
 
Another one here...I didn't like the opioid experience either. I took four (total) post op. Two that they gave me at my surgery site, then two at home...and I was done. Didn't like the way I felt on the fourth pill so it was Extra Strength Tylenol and ICE.
I depended on ice A LOT. If I was sitting or lying down I was icing. I iced as I fell asleep at night and switched out the ice pack halfway through the night when I woke to go to the bathroom. This worked for me, but we're all different. You did have a revision and that recovery can be more difficult / painful than the original knee replacement. If you're not icing often, try increasing your icing sessions and see if it helps.
I hope you slept well last night and wish you a good day, Reader.
@Reader525
 
Happy Tuesday!
How are you doing? I hope the past couple days have brought some relief. :fingersx:
We're here if you're feeling the need for some support.
Take good care, Reader.
@Reader525
 
@Layla , I just had the best thing happen. The surgeon called and told me his assistant told me about my message regarding the findings I saw on the portal, he was absolutely flabbergasted. He said my surgery went fantastically and smoothly. My knee looked great and I should expect a good outcome. He asked me to send him a picture of what I read, so I did. He said he believes it’s something called an Encounter Diagnosis Summary and it’s for insurance companies and is coding. He said the wording seems formulaic, since he has no involvement with the billing process at the hospital or clinic. He said please be assured you are going to be fine. Isn’t this wonderful, I feel so much better. I actually sent it to ChatGPT and it said it’s coding material. Look at the agony I put myself through. And all of you too. I’m going to get my bandage off tomorrow.
I’m sore and a little achy and stiff too. I made an appointment with the Physical Therapist for 6/11 and will continue gently to do heel slides, I’m still sore and swollen.
Maybe access to medical records is good but not when you don’t know what you’re looking at. <3
 
This is fantastic news, Reader! I am very happy for you because struggling with the physical pain of recovery is enough. The emotional toll that information was causing was too much. You have to feel so relieved to have clarification on this and receive reassurance from your surgeon that all went well and he expects you to have a good outcome.
:yes!: Time for a happy dance! :happydance: I hope you have a peaceful relaxing evening. :thumb:
@Reader525
 
So happy you heard from your surgeon and that everything is fine, @Reader525!

This is a good lesson for all of us: we have to make sure we have the right context when we read these reports or they can make us crazy!

Hope your pain level is improving.
 
Good luck with the bandage removal today, Reader. It will be nice to have that pesky thing removed, especially if it's still causing you any skin irritation. You'll be two weeks post op already tomorrow.
Time flies when we're having fun, lol. Said as I duck and run :bolt:
@Reader525
 
@ Layla funny! I can’t wait for this chapter to be over. I’m bending my knee a little more, a week ago I couldn’t even try, so progress. I believe that Oxycodone that I was desperate to take to get rid of the pain just pummeled me. If you remember, I took double the dose most people take, and I’m petite. For about 5 days I took 60 mgs a day. I then cut back to 30 mg, then to 15 mg, then stopped, 2 days of Hydrocodone then 7 days of Oxycodone. Then after stopping, sweats, off feeling, restless and uncomfortable, not to mention emotional. I’m now past the worst part of it, but still see some of the sweats and hot/cold issues. No temperature though, consistently 97.9, my normal. I’ve had things happen in my life that have caused me to be hyper vigilant about my body, fearful of something going wrong. So you know this whole recovery thing is very hard for me, and all of you who try to talk me off the ledge. I’m looking forward to getting over the Oxycodone withdrawal, I went through it with my hip. Then I think I need a little help with some PT. I know while I’m swollen I will not force anything. I’m an overthinker, the bane of my existence.
 
I’m an overthinker, the bane of my existence
Ugh...boy can I relate! Can feel like a curse at times. :yes:
Thankfully you're past the worst of it. Things will start looking up and we'll always be here to talk you off any ledges, so don't hesitate to stop by, day or night. :thumb:
When you're out today, maybe grabbing a quick lunch, or a coffee will help you feel like part of the world again. There's something about getting out amongst the living, even for a short time in early recovery that's like a soothing balm. I hope today is a good one!
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom