TKR Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange

Just one question...why don't they prepare us?
I believed if the doctors explained how painful knee surgery is, that many would choose not to have it. For the first few months, my surgical pain was much worse than my arthritic pain was and I wondered why in the world I did this to myself! But, now I am so glad I did!

It sounds like you are doing everything right to try and lessen your pain. Hang in there, it will get better!
 
Just one question...why don't they prepare us?
I think some doctors worry that patients will be afraid to proceed with the surgery. Others avoid discussing the pain because they fear we are "suggestible" and will have all of the symptoms they discuss. Plus, most have never been through the surgery themselves, so have no idea what it's really like.

That's why we are here. We've been through it and understand how worrisome it can be. You've got this!
 
I think now if a forum member is having a spacer exchange, we can safely say it's like having a knee replacement again.
Both procedures are major surgery. Soft tissue is disturbed, there is pain, swelling and stiffness, and you need to ease into movement and activity initially. Both can cause fatigue and an increased need for rest. There are definitely similarities in the two recoveries. Sadly, the OS doesn't have enough time during a patient visit to go over every possible post op scenario, good or bad, but I do believe they don't want to discourage anyone they feel needs surgery to lose the pain they're struggling with and get back to the life they knew and loved before their joint deteriorated.


Yesterday I took a shower, blow dried my hair, put on some lipstick and fragrance and a clean nightgown. It was a crumbling facade, but it sure helped my morale.
I did the same within the first week and found it boosted my mood immensely. I was quickly over the pale, tired eyes, bedhead reflection I saw in the mirror on bathroom breaks! YUK! A little self care can do wonders for the mood, and motivation, in those early days. So keep styling your hair, spritzing on your favorite fragrance and twisting up that lipstick bullet. You'll feel better for the effort. :yes:
[Bonesmart.org] Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange
Happy Tuesday!
 
Just one question...why don't they prepare us?
For the first few months, my surgical pain was much worse than my arthritic pain was and I wondered why in the world I did this to myself! But, now I am so glad I did!
I agree. I am now twelve weeks post-op, and my operated knee still has more pain and aching than my other knee that will be replaced at some point a//k/a "whenever." I still sometimes wonder why I did this and I'm holding on to the hope of walking pain free some day.
 
. I am doing the Oxycodone 5 mg. every 4 hours and set up alerts on my phone so I don't miss any doses. In addition to that am taking 1000 mg. Tylenol 3 times a day.
Those were my med doses, too, and I was still uncomfortable, just like you. I hope your pain will ease soon.
 
@alex_mom I sent a message to the surgery team about the Oxycodone and how it really hadn't helped me that much. I couldn't even bear weight on the operative leg, really shocking amount of pain. The surgeon's team nurse messaged back immediately and said to take 10 mg. of Oxycodone, 2 pills, every 4 hours. I started the increased dosage immediately as my alarm went off telling me it was time for my 10:30 am pill(s). I thought TWO Oxycodone?? Little 101 pound me? But I did it and by the evening I could see a response to the increase. I still have the pain when I weight bear, but the aching and deep toothache in my knee has stopped. That alone is worth it to me. I managed to not fall asleep drooling in front of TV, but I could have, instead stuck it out. I'm on Day 5, @alex_mom , you're way ahead of me. I remember my first surgery at 12 weeks and how frustrating it was. I can tell you this, recovery, adjusting and healing is a long period. It's not like, well, you've hit the 1 year mark, you're healed. It changes and evolves all the time. Until a point where you might actually forget you ever had it done...except for how much you learned about yourself, your strength and determination during one of the most incredible trials of your life.
 
I have been wondering about something, well a lot of things really, but this in particular. I'm on Day 6, and I've had a TKR in this knee obviously, and then this spacer exchange. I am to the point where if I put any weight on the operative leg, I can but don't want to. It hurts. So I limp along on my hourly walks to keep moving and do my ADL. But I am scheduled for my first PT appointment a week from Friday, the 29th. To be honest, I could probably conduct a PT appointment at this point, I have been to so many and know what I need to do. I can absolutely see no point in trying to push through inflamed tissue, swelling and pain. From my expectation, this has to calm down first. I am considering postponing my visit there until my swelling has gone down. I am seeing the PA two days before the scheduled PT appointment, the 27th. I think he will be the person who can assess my swelling and recovery. I know so much through my experience, and now isn't the time for leg lifts. Plus, I still have my hip replacement recovery going on.
Any guidance or suggestions are so welcome. I appreciate Physical Therapy to some extent, but also resist their attempt to tell me what to do when I know my body. I'm a former competitive marathon runner, have exercised my whole life. I'm not slacking. I don't really need anyone to tell me what to do. I'm sure you can hear the obstinance in my tone, because I sure can.
Help me figure out a way to deal with all this!
 
I don't think you are being obstinate at all. You know your body. As a longtime athlete, you also when to stop because you recognize what feels right and what feels wrong.

Don't hesitate to postpone that PT appointment until your body is ready. And don't let the PA intimidate you into doing PT for your knee before that happens. (In my experience, PAs tend to be very dogmatic about this stuff!)

If you need more time to reduce the swelling, take it. As you say, you can always do some exercises on your own as you knee feels ready.

And please don't worry about your hip -- it is not going to stop healing because you take a little time off to let the knee recover. Listen to your body.
 
Thank you so much @benne68 , I think I'm going to call them today. I know how dogmatic they can be. I can hear the person I get on the phone telling me to come in next Friday as planned so they can assess me. I don't want to. I simply don't want to right now. I expect an argument. What do you think about my saying that I am just going to get in touch when I'm ready. Period. Is there any other way to be polite but firm.
 
I can hear the person I get on the phone telling me to come in next Friday as planned so they can assess me. I don't want to. I simply don't want to right now. I expect an argument. What do you think about my saying that I am just going to get in touch when I'm ready. Period. Is there any other way to be polite but firm
It's your body, your call. You're not being obstinate. To me it's wise self care.
They shouldn't have a problem with you relaying that you're still having quite a bit of post op pain and you're not ready to begin PT because you're choosing to give your body more time to settle before starting. You'll reach out when you feel more able to participate. Thanks for understanding. Even if they don't. :wink:
 
" You'll reach out when you feel more able to participate. Thanks for understanding. Even if they don't."

I'm going to quote you, but I am dreading the call.
 
Be that as it may, I am doing what I can, ice, ice, icing all the time. Yesterday I took a shower, blow dried my hair, put on some lipstick and fragrance and a clean nightgown. It was a crumbling facade, but it sure helped my morale
You are doing well to do that. I found showering let alone blow drying my hair exhausting in the early stages.
Don't be bullied into physio before you are ready. As others have said, it's your body and your call.
 
I am dreading the call.
I understand. But how awful that these folks can make us feel like we are doing something wrong when we advocate for our own health and wellbeing?

These are supposed to be health care professionals. You shouldn't have to fear calling to postpone an appointment. The problem is THEM, not YOU. You should not feel guilty or the need to apologize.
 
The surgeon's team nurse messaged back immediately and said to take 10 mg. of Oxycodone, 2 pills, every 4 hours. I started the increased dosage immediately as my alarm went off telling me it was time for my 10:30 am pill(s). I thought TWO Oxycodone?? Little 101 pound me? But I did it and by the evening I could see a response to the increase. I still have the pain when I weight bear, but the aching and deep toothache in my knee has stopped. That alone is worth it to me. I managed to not fall asleep drooling in front of TV, but I could have, instead stuck it out.
10mg does seem like a high dose, but if it makes a difference, then that is probably what you need for right now. I was miserable on 5 mg every 4 hours for weeks, and I weigh 150 lbs. I hope things improve soon for you.
 
@alex_mom The nurse told me that most knee replacement patients in the practice need 10 mg. doses for at least 2 weeks after surgery and not to worry. I can tell you this, after a full day and a half of the 10 mg. dose, my pain now only happens when I walk with the walker. My knee is SORE and painful. But not in bed, not on the couch. I am able to forget I even have a knee. I'm assuming my knee pain will subside some by 4 weeks and I will be cutting back when it does.
With my original knee replacement I took the Oxycodone for 5-6 weeks and did not struggle in any way to stop taking them. I remember at the end only taking them at night. I also have a friend who needed the 10 mg. dose for almost 12 weeks. Funny how different we all are.
I hope we all feel better soon.
 
The nurse told me that most knee replacement patients in the practice need 10 mg. doses for at least 2 weeks after surgery and not to worry.
I was also given 10mg tablets. And it's also my understanding that that is the appropriate dosage for this kind of pain. I didn't need that dose for the full two weeks; in fact, I started cutting the pills in half and then eventually, only took them at bedtime.

We are all different and every recovery is different. You have to find what works best for you for THIS recovery.
 
These are supposed to be health care professionals. You shouldn't have to fear calling to postpone an appointment.
Yes, and they should want you to be comfortable being there, ready and willing to participate. Not feeling overwhelmed, or fearful you're going to end up in pain later on as you struggle and wince your way through therapy. A good therapist should listen and understand.
 
I stumbled across a rather surprising report written after my surgery. Apparently the replacement was loose, cracked and not stable. The condition of the implant caused so many adjustments and it made me feel so justified for feeling the pain, instability and hyperextension that I did.
I've attached the report. I also think it explains the level of pain I'm in, he did a lot of work. I'm shocked that at time I repeatedly told the original surgeon the implant didn't feel "right". No one listened.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange
    IMG_5866.webp
    56.3 KB · Views: 11
The nurse told me that most knee replacement patients in the practice need 10 mg. doses for at least 2 weeks after surgery and not to worry. I can tell you this, after a full day and a half of the 10 mg. dose, my pain now only happens when I walk with the walker.
I'm so glad your knee is less painful today! What the nurse told you about the 10mg is interesting.

My initial (oxy) 5mg Percocet was a five-day supply right out of hospital. The hospital nurse told me to double up if I needed it after I got home, but I would have run out of pills in a couple days, so I did not do that.

Friends of mine who used surgeons in the same group as mine, last year, also got the same thing --- a five day supply, same dose. They had to call in for a refill every five days.

I live in a state that is in the top ten in the nation for opioid abuse and addiction. That is probably why we only get 5mg of oxy in any form from this surgical group. It is much stricter than when my last hip was done a few years ago by the same surgeon.

Whenever my other knee gets done, I will ask for a stronger dose and see what happens.

I hope you continue to have good pain relief, Reader525.
 
I live in a state that is in the top ten in the nation for opioid abuse and addiction. That is probably why we only get 5mg of oxy in any form from this surgical group. It is much stricter than when my last hip was done a few years ago by the same surgeon.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom