TKR Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange

Five sanctioned days of inadequate pain medication. I am so sorry. I received 42 pills and if I were to take them every 4 hours that means 6 pills a day. So only got enough for 8 days ish. My pain is extreme when I stand up after sitting a while. But after reading my surgery notes I don't know how I was even walking at all.
 
I stumbled across a rather surprising report written after my surgery. Apparently the replacement was loose, cracked and not stable. The condition of the implant caused so many adjustments and it made me feel so justified for feeling the pain, instability and hyperextension that I did.
I've attached the report. I also think it explains the level of pain I'm in, he did a lot of work. I'm shocked that at time I repeatedly told the original surgeon the implant didn't feel "right".
Oh my word, no wonder you've been suffering! Makes one wonder if the prosthesis was defective. Did you have a different brand used this time? Hopefully this one will hold up.

No one listened.
We patients usually have to be our own advocate and make enough noise to be heard. I think surgeons don't like to admit mistakes were made or that bone cement and implants are defective, but it happens.
 
Wow. It's amazing you withstood pain for that length of time! It's too bad you had to wait so long for surgery.
Those post op notes must have been a bit of a shocker for you.

The pain upon standing is not surprising, but I'm sorry it's extreme. Swelling increases while sitting causing tightness and stiffness. Then there's the inflammation around soft tissues and nerves. Hopefully it eases some as you're walking around. Make sure you have enough meds to get through the holiday weekend when it may be tougher to get a refill if you need one. Wishing you lots of comfort, Reader, and hoping you're able to sleep well tonight.
@Reader525
 
@Layla @alex_mom To say I was shocked is an understatement. It seems they didn't remove the implant, instead they stabilized it and repaired it. I have no idea what went through THEIR heads when they saw what the orthopedist did 5 years ago. This orthopedic practice is huge where I live, offices all over town. The doctor who did my original knee replacement Isa local town hero. Comes from a family of physicians, neurosurgeons, pediatricians, oncologists, and the conquering hero who did my knee went to Harvard, he had all the right boxes checked next to his name. I never felt like it fit me properly and he denied everything I brought up. When he kept suggesting I get a Lumbar X-ray series that was it for me. I'd had one a Mayo Clinic and it was pretty unremarkable. So I didn't want to go to him again. I did a lot of research on the doctor who ended up doing my surgery and I think he is great. So far. But he is in the same practice. And I'm sure if I were to tell him I saw the notes he will try to protect doctor number 1. It's a brotherhood. But he did not tell me any of this, he told my son after surgery that everything went well, no surprises. So I think I might tell Sean, the PA, when I see him on Wednesday. He's more approachable. Do you have any suggestions on how I phrase it to him?
 
Wow, that’s a lot to digest. No wonder you were in such pain.
You were right to push and advocate for yourself.
I changed OS after my replacement because I didn’t feel “heard.”
It’s a crazy medical system we are experiencing now but if we shout loud enough we will be recognized.
All my best.
 
What do you think about my saying that I am just going to get in touch when I'm ready. Period.
You are the employer, and the PT is your employee, so you determine what they do, not them. I think it's a good idea for you to skip PT until you feel ready. Given the pain in your knee, it would be counterproductive to exacerbate it further by doing exercises. Your #1 job is to heal that poor knee! Take all the time you need. Since you already know what to do, I really don't see the reason for you to go to PT unless you have a particular area you'd like to work on. But, only when your knee is ready.
 
First off, I'd want some time with the surgeon preferably in office so you can review the findings. I can understand why he told your son everything went well, because to him it likely did, he did his job and has confidence in his work. My guess is that the OS intended to speak with you at your post op. I agree, it's unlikely he'll criticize a colleague within the same practice.

However, in this case I don't understand why he didn't discuss this with you before you were discharged. I do believe you can get even more detailed records, but you will need to ask. I'd also want to know if what he found will affect your progress or function. What are you to expect? This wasn't a simple spacer exchange, Multiple problems were found. The fracture, the loosening, infection and inflammatory reaction due to the prothesis, complications related to the implant itself. Schedule a follow-up and mention you have many questions after reading the surgical notes and need clarification on the long term prognosis and next steps.

I'm sorry you need to worry about this as you're in pain and healing, but hopefully you're able to arrange a discussion with your OS soon and through explanation obtain peace of mind over it all. We're here for you, Reader. Please keep us posted, we do care.
@Reader525
 
@Layla I also couldn't understand why he didn't talk to me personally after surgery. It's a mill, really, the way they wheel you in and out. I really don't think very many patients dig like you and I do. I also am 100% sure the surgeon is going to downplay what he found and tell me he corrected what needed to be. I just want to make sure I understand my recovery expectations.
 
I just want to make sure I understand my recovery expectations.
Yes, of course. I agree with you.

I also couldn't understand why he didn't talk to me personally after surgery.
Scheduling? Was he in surgery all day? If I recall, you did leave the same day, so he likely planned to go into more detail at your first post op visit? These are only assumptions.

I saw my OS in pre-op, then not again until I was three months post op! The first visit after my surgery was at three weeks, with the PA and the next at three months with the OS.

Is your first post op soon? Consider calling to see / confirm whether you can schedule it with the OS because you have many questions and concerns due to reading the surgical report and you need clear direction going forward.

Bye the way...Happy One Week Anniversary! I wish you many pain free moments today, Reader.
 
I have put the walker in the closet and am using my cane. I feel like I've had this pain before in this knee...oh yes, that's right! I had a knee replacement in the same knee! I'm telling you, the pain is the same. My knee feels tight and sore, like I've been cut open kind of sore. I can't bend it much at all without pain that is off the charts. I can't imagine bending through that kind of pain is wise. I know I bent extremely well after my knee replacement, and judging by the lousy outcome I wonder if the errors shown in the report I read if that's an indicator of an error. I have a friend who had a knee replacement in January and within a month to 2 months she went in for a manipulation. Her leg would not bend. I can't believe that! I sure don't want that. I've cut back on my Oxycodone, down to 5 mg during the day and 10 at night. I don't want to overdo it, it's scary. My pain is still severe, Day 8.
 
@Layla. @sistersinhim . @Jockette Here's a new question. I keot telling my husband and son that it felt like my knee had acid on it, I had this burning sensation when I moved, and sometimes when I didn't. I took a picture of my knee and I could see this very raw area under the tape, I'll attach the picture here. I can see that I'm reacting to either the tape, most likely, and my god does it hurt. I have an appointment in 4 days, it's a holiday weekend, and the only thing I have to do is slightly peel the tape back, which I did. What a relief. The level of pain this was causing me is pretty crazy. Have you ever heard of a medical tape doing this?
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange
    IMG_5870.webp
    101.7 KB · Views: 5
  • [Bonesmart.org] Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange
    IMG_5871.webp
    81.1 KB · Views: 5
  • [Bonesmart.org] Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange
    IMG_5872.webp
    116.9 KB · Views: 7
Have you ever heard of a medical tape doing this?
Yes. Call your doctor. He/she might advise taking the bandage off, but I think a professional should make that decision.

Here are just 3 examples from other members. You can use the following phrase in the search feature, upper right corner of this forum, to find others.

Reaction to medical tape:

PKR - Monkey's Recovery Thread- Second PKR | Joint Replacement Patient Forum

Post Op Blistering:
TKR - Post Op blistering | Joint Replacement Patient Forum

Post 77:
TKR - Rubyroo TKR #2 | Page 4 | Joint Replacement Patient Forum
 
Oh yikes, that's miserable, I'm so sorry, Reader.
This is not uncommon, and referred to as contact dermatitis. An irritation or allergic reaction to the adhesive.
I had a reaction from the tape within 24 hours. It was red and the exact shape of the tape. You can have peeling skin when it's removed. Hopefully you can make contact with your surgeon's office this morning to see if they want you to remove / replace the dressing and simply monitor it from home. You can ask them to view the photos you shared here. Until then keep it dry and I wouldn't apply anything unless advised to. As long as you don't have any drainage, fever, worsening pain, more difficulty in bearing weight, it's likely a reaction to the adhesive.
Let us know what you hear and how you're doing today when you have time. Best wishes!
Tape reaction query -> HERE

@Reader525
 
Oh no, poor you, you’re having it really rough.
Sounds like a reaction to something - the dressing, the tape, the iodine in the op? Hard to know. Please ring for advice. It happened to a friend of mine few months ago and the hospital took the dressing off and cleaned her knee completely and then it was fine.
 
@Reader525 I also developed a painful rash from my dressing about 8 days post-op. It was miserable.

The home health nurse happened to visit that day and suggested it was contact dermatitis. She sent a photo to the surgeon's office and they asked me to come in. The PA confirmed it was contact dermatitis and said they are seeing this fairly often. I did not have this reaction with my 3 prior surgeries with the same dressing, so it seems as though something has changed in the adhesive.

They removed the dressing, told me to clean the area with soap and water -- avoiding the incision -- to remove any residual adhesive. They also suggested taking an oral antihistamine for a few days, which helped.

Hope you can get hold of someone in the surgeon's office. If not, do you have an urgent care nearby that you can visit.

Please let us know.
 
@benne68 oh no, that sounds like the same thing, I never had a problem before either. I sent a message on the portal to the practice. Why do these things happen on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend?
 
Why do these things happen on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend?
Yep! That's always the way it goes. Never happens on a weekday.

I hope you hear back soon. Be a pest, if necessary.
 
I know everyone is enjoying a day with family, and I'm having a meltdown. If anyone sees this, I just feel terrible. I'm miserable, uncomfortable, lonely and lost at sea. I don't know what to expect anymore because I have serious doubts about my doctor. I noticed in my portal, that the surgeon entered all his clinical findings 2 1/2 months before he did my knee revision. 03/06/2026 and my surgery was 05/14/2026. I think he might be covering himself because there was no awareness on the part of this Orthopedics practice that I was suffering from such an unbelievable failure of my knee device. Believe me, I was very vocal, but I kept getting pointed in different directions.
My husband is excitable and if I share any of this with him, I will have the added responsibility of calming him down. He'll create a conspiracy.
Compound all this with the ongoing recovery of Day 9 pain, etc.

I have never heard back regarding the Tape Incident, but I soothed that by peeling the tape off the worst area.

I have an appointment with Sean, the Physician Assistant on Wednesday. I am not going to press to see the surgeon. I feel Sean is the appointed gatekeeper and will provide me with answers and likely already knows everything about the findings. This is how I am going to handle it for my Wednesday appointment.

I am trying to think of questions to list, starting with whether the device used made by Stryker had any recalls involving my model. They have the number. I will ask for it.
Also want to know if the amount of damage caused by the dislocated implant stands a chance of working properly after that damage.
And what time frame are we looking at.
Why wasn't my pain addressed sooner. I saw multiple people for my issues from the original surgeon, to physical therapists, to non-surgical physicians to worsening hip pain likely caused by faulty knee replacement.
I'm overwhelmed.

I just want someone to tell me it's a lot but I've got this.

You know?
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange
    IMG_5873.webp
    34.1 KB · Views: 3
I cannot offer any practical advice, just want to let you know I read your story and hope you can get the answers you need and relief from your pain and frustration. You sound as if you will be a powerful advocate for yourself, but it is a shame you have to expend so much energy in doing that.

About your rash - I find my skin is getting much more sensitive as I age - recently just 2 days of an anti fungal cream I have used with no problem in the past caused an angry reaction on one area of skin - and after a fortnight that has still not cleared. Skin not only getting more dry also more thin and prone to argue back.

Wishing you the very best.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom