Guest viewing is limited

TKR Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
 
My tkr was over 6 years ago and I still occasionally still have hyper-extension, but my situation is different from yours since I have no kneecaps. I suggest you just concentrate on walking with the heel-to-toe stride. I find myself frequently going back to my old way of walking and then I concentrate on the correct way to walk.

Thank you for your kind words! I felt and feel the same way about Bonesmart. That's why I'm still here!
 
Does anyone know if I can expect more strength to return to my leg, or whether I should be grateful for what I've overcome so far.
I had a lot of improvement in my second year, hopefully you will, too.

And, Happy Birthday! :flwrysmile:
 
@Reader525 Welcome back and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :flwrysmile:

I'm sorry to hear you have having problems. I followed your progress closely last fall since your surgery was a couple of months before mine.

Since your TKR was a year ago, I'm guessing it's about time for the one-year follow up? Have you spoken with or seen your doctor about this?
 
@benne68 I am so happy to see you here! I remember all the help and support you gave me. I know this may sound like a strange thing to say, but I don't want to pursue anything right now with the OS. I feel almost like I'm chasing down a rabbit hole and I am pretty sure that's where I'd end up. I think I might have something else going on, possibly nerve related, that causes a tightness in the side of my calf. I may go to see a neurologist later but, OH MY GOODNESS, I'm not sure I want to right now. I feel like the only person in the world who has this symptom, no matter how I explain it, or research it, there's nothing I can find or have understood. It's like when I walk, the inner side of my lower leg gets tight and inhibits me. Additionally, my quads aren't strong enough to give me a stable walk. :bawl:

I think maybe I am tired of doctors and visit after visit, you know?
 
I know this may sound like a strange thing to say, but I don't want to pursue anything right now with the OS. I feel almost like I'm chasing down a rabbit hole and I am pretty sure that's where I'd end up.
I feel like the only person in the world who has this symptom, no matter how I explain it, or research it, there's nothing I can find or have understood.

I know just how you feel, because I feel the same way, though my symptoms are different.

I think I have nerve damage, on the lateral side of my knee. That spot absolutely freaks out the second I put pants on. Any dress, or bathrobe, etc. that is knee length and even lightly brushes against my knee, makes my knee feel out of joint. I have other issues with my knee, none of which I had before my surgery.

I tried the second opinion route, at 15 months and 22 months post op. Neither found anything to fix. It’s been 5 years since my surgery and these issues haven’t changed. I wear shorts as much as I can, and winter is a nightmare because it’s too cold for shorts.

I‘m having issues with my hips, but I’m just not ready to get them looked at. My trust level is very low.
 
Hi everyone, I had my LTKR July 7, 2021, I definitely would not have made it through the long, hard slog of recovery without all of my BoneSmart helpers. @Jockette, @patriciad, @sistersinhim just to name a few of you wonderful people. It has now been a year and a few weeks and I am so much better, no terrible pain, no really bad stiffness or swelling...BUT, I am still having some trouble with mobility and walking. In spite of exercises and working out, my knee hyper-extends and I just can't seem to strengthen my quad enough to walk like everyone else. I have to tell myself to relax my leg and control my knee to maintain it from going back too far. I'm not even sure I'm explaining it right, suffice to say, it's very noticeable and is frequently commented upon. I wonder if perhaps my age and the length of time I suffered before my surgery are working against me here.
I work about 4 days a week on my feet for about 6 hours without a break. I am a little sore at times but it's very manageable, but walking around is awkward. When I leave and sit down, I recover quickly, within 10 minutes or so, I'm comfortable again.
I'm fit, 110 lbs. and extremely healthy 72 years old tomorrow, as a matter of fact. Does anyone know if I can expect more strength to return to my leg, or whether I should be grateful for what I've overcome so far.
Thank you everyone!
Happy birthday to you it’s my birthday too. Have you tried walking up and down a swimming pool yet? X
 
@Annie5 7/24? Happy Birthday to you too! I have not tried pool walking, but I can imagine it's a great workout!
 
@benne68 Isn't that something about your knee and the nerve feeling...What kind of specialists did you go to for your second opinion? Or did you go to a different OS? Could it be something involving the nerves that were cut during the knee replacement surgery? I know if I run my fingers over my knee the sensation is a combination tickle and shock, another one that I can't find the words to explain! But that only happens to me if I rub it, not if a dress rubs against it. Is no one giving you any answers or solutions?
Maybe they don't know all the answers?! I know for sure that my terrible pain and limp is gone since my TKR, and that makes it worth it. Maybe I expected to be the way I was 20 years ago, and maybe I was unrealistic, but I actually thought if I got rid of my damaged knee and got a new one, I'd skip along over the rainbow. Lol!
Did you consult with a neurologist? I went to one about 5 years ago in my quest for answers about my knee. I had a test involving needles and electric impulses in my leg. I was told I had some mild neuropathy but nothing that indicated it was causing issues with my gait. So I'm hesitant to do that again. But maybe I should.
 
What kind of specialists did you go to for your second opinion?
I saw 2 surgeons, far from my original surgeon, who did revisions.
I had a test involving needles and electric impulses in my leg
I have not been to a neurologist since my surgery. 10 years ago I did see one, and had the test you mention, and they did say something was going on, but the doctors never followed through and I got fed up and just let it go. At the time this had something to do with a back issue, not my knee. Which brings me back to your comment:
I think maybe I am tired of doctors and visit after visit, you know?
At the time I had seen 8 different doctors/chiropractors, and no answers. :doh:
 
Hi everyone, I had my LTKR July 7, 2021, I definitely would not have made it through the long, hard slog of recovery without all of my BoneSmart helpers. @Jockette, @patriciad, @sistersinhim just to name a few of you wonderful people. It has now been a year and a few weeks and I am so much better, no terrible pain, no really bad stiffness or swelling...BUT, I am still having some trouble with mobility and walking. In spite of exercises and working out, my knee hyper-extends and I just can't seem to strengthen my quad enough to walk like everyone else. I have to tell myself to relax my leg and control my knee to maintain it from going back too far. I'm not even sure I'm explaining it right, suffice to say, it's very noticeable and is frequently commented upon. I wonder if perhaps my age and the length of time I suffered before my surgery are working against me here.
I work about 4 days a week on my feet for about 6 hours without a break. I am a little sore at times but it's very manageable, but walking around is awkward. When I leave and sit down, I recover quickly, within 10 minutes or so, I'm comfortable again.
I'm fit, 110 lbs. and extremely healthy 72 years old tomorrow, as a matter of fact. Does anyone know if I can expect more strength to return to my leg, or whether I should be grateful for what I've overcome so far.
Thank you everyone!
Happy birthday to you it’s my birthday too. Have you tried walking up and down a swimming pool yet? X
Hi I went walking up and down the pool before my operation and it definitely helped to strengthen my quad muscles. I’m going to start going again in a few weeks when my thigh hopefully responds to the new medication my consultant has given me.
I did half of my lengths with my leg straight. Good luck
 
My tkr was over 6 years ago and I still occasionally still have hyper-extension, but my situation is different from yours since I have no kneecaps. I suggest you just concentrate on walking with the heel-to-toe stride. I find myself frequently going back to my old way of walking and then I concentrate on the correct way to walk.

Thank you for your kind words! I felt and feel the same way about Bonesmart. That's why I'm still here!
I haven't posted in a very long time. I have been doing okay, not excellent. But recently I have terrible stabbing pain on my knee cap. It's not constant, but it happens a lot. My TKR was in 2021. What do you think it could be?
 
Hi, @Reader525 …. It’s nice to see you back on BoneSmart, but I’m sorry to hear it’s because you’re having some new knee pain.

We’ve had some changes to BoneSmart since you were here last. As of this past January, we implemented a 2-tier membership system. Basic Members (like you are now) have limited access to all the features of the forum you are familiar with. You can only use our search tool to find threads to read on topics that you’re interested in and make on-topic posts to an existing thread like you’ve done here on your recovery thread. To get the detailed support you’re looking for you’ll need to upgrade your membership to the Insiders Club. Once you’re a member there, our staff can assist you with all your questions and concerns plus you’ll also have access to the hundreds of articles in our BoneSmart Library. Please take a look at the Guidelines for Posting and Membership Page to see more details about how this works now. There are a number of subscription options from which to choose and hopefully one of them will suit you. We’d love to be able to help you with the pain that’s cropped up in your knee.
 
@Reader525….thank you so much for quickly joining the Insiders Club so we could begin to address your concerns about your knee.

My first question would be if you know whether or not you received a patellar button when you had your knee replaced. If not, my first guess would be that you’ve developed arthritis under your kneecap. This is something that happens quite frequently and it always makes me wonder why surgeons don’t just routinely put the patellar button in.

You say it’s a stabbing pain over your kneecap. Does it just stab and stop? Or continue for a while? Is there anything that makes it worse? Or better?
 
Thank you for answering so quickly! I don't know about the patellar button, I never heard about that before. My stabbing happens when I change my gait, for instance, if I'm walking quickly to the back room, and when I get there I change my stride. Boom, it hits. It's sharp enough that I wince and my knee gives way. Then it disappears. If it is arthritis, is there anything that can be done or I do I learn to live with it?
 
I'm sorry about your new pain.

Your surgical operation report - you can get a copy sent to you by requesting it from the surgeon's office - will tell you whether they placed a button to the back side of the kneecap. It will also tell you if a tendon release was done. These are details our surgeons don't seem to think we need or want but that can be helpful if pains or problems arise later.

If the pain is such that you're momentarily unstable, booking an appointment with your ortho team sounds like a good plan. They may want a fresh set of specific x-rays.

Please do stay in touch with us about this.
 
I agree with mendogal. It’s probably best that you make an appointment with your surgeon. It will be especially meaningful if the pain is consistent when you do a particular thing - like you described with changing gait, the buckling, and then the pain disappears.

If you don’t have a patellar button but have now developed arthritis under your kneecap, it is possible for the patella to be resurfaced with the button. This is surgery, but it’s much less of a procedure than the knee replacement. This is something only your surgeon can determine for sure.

If it’s not this, it could be some soft tissue damage. Have you had any type of injury to that knee recently? Or changed your daily activities or exercise? This type of problem can be discovered with an MRI and when you see your surgeon, you might want to see if he would authorize that just to be sure you don’t have something going on with the soft tissues.

Sometimes these pains are difficult to diagnose and it involves a lot of “process of elimination” to get there. So be prepared. Hopefully your surgeon will take this seriously and help you pursue the exact problem with some testing. We’re here for advice if you need us to get to the bottom of what’s going on.
 
I noticed something. I am not working today, and I'm wondering if it's a response to hours on my feet. I haven't had any pain today, and I worked 4 straight days with much standing and walking. Perhaps it is an overuse reaction. Still, almost 4 years after my replacement? I am a little wary of seeing the surgeon, I'm fairly sure they will schedule me with his PA or another orthopedist. You know how surgeons are.
 
Back
Top Bottom