Guest viewing is limited

TKR Reader's Left TKR Spacer Exchange

@patriciad I am so sorry about your dog. It's as painful as anything can be and there's nothing you can do except let time pass. I have been there too many times because I have always had dogs my whole life. I know it's not really any comfort but sometimes I think about what a difference we make in their lives too. These adoring creatures don't have long lives and we give them everything, we can rest easy knowing that much.
So Macho Man is doing great! He told me tonight he felt zero pain, his words, and that if he didn't know it, he couldn't even tell he's had surgery. However, I have noticed a few things...he isn't allowed to bend over so I was going to put socks on him and told him to sit on a chair opposite me and put his foot on my lap. Well, he said he didn't think he could lift his leg that high. That kind of surprised me but I didn't comment. Then he said a little later that when he raises his legs his quads burn. Hmmm. It was just a comment but itlet me know he's feeling some discomfort.
All this makes me see how someone who demands such strength from himself might have a hard time feeling compassion for someone who has pain. How can they empathize and relate? It explains a lot. Maybe he was told to "Be a man" when he was growing up.
On another note, remember how I didn't know what to do about working? Now I don't think I want to go back at all. The thought of it is just awful to me!! My OS sent that letter saying January 2022, so I still have almost 2 months. But I think I'm tired of the rat race, you know?
I think I'm feeling better and better. I'm doing 30 minutes, no resistance, on the stationary bike, and 4 minutes on the elliptical, I also am walking a mile almost daily. I take a couple of days off a week. I have added a minute a week to the elliptical, so nothing drastic. Sometimes I get that aching pain but it goes away.
How are you doing!?
 
Reader525. Firstly I just love the pic of your puppies, I am a dog/animal lover & enjoy their company far more than most humans. Secondly you are a machine, I remember some of your earlier posts & how bad I felt for you on your journey, you have come such a long way. You should be so proud of yourself, you are an inspiration
 
@Scanne Awwww! Me? I'm like everyone here, some days good, some not so good. It's such a long recovery. I thank you for saying that because it makes me appreciate what I have achieved. It's so very hard, to have such pain and to try to keep a positive attitude. I never, ever knew what this surgery consisted of because our doctors don't really tell us. But here we have each other's experiences to help us keep going.
I love my 2 dogs more than anything. Definitely prefer them to walk lot of people too! :dogsniff::doggie:
 
Hi, Baldylocks! Oh, how I’d LOVE to be out there right now, clearing our garden with my better half. It’s done for this year, & desperately needs to be cleaned out, but that will have to wait a bit. I’m 4 1/2 weeks out, still not moving too fast. This past week was the “ rollercoaster” down trip, nausea , & severe loss of appetite from Tramadol . But I sure hope to get out in this beautiful fall weather soon. We do still have some broccoli putting out heads, & some chard in potso on our back porch looking good. We have 2 raised gardens ( tomato & crookneck squash), then a side spot for one more tomato, broccoli beside the house, & herbs , greens & peppers in big pots on back porch. I just love it. I am a ways from a full squat, but plan to be in shape by planting time next spring. How soon were you able to do much in the garden? I notice that you are about 4 months ahead of me....and Running?? Wow....that is encouraging ! I’m not a runner, but sure admire folks who do. My energies seem to settle on the gardening, my flowers, spending time with our 6 year old grandson, & cooking & baking. I was able to get one batch of my sweet-hot sauce canned from OUR tomatoes & jalapeños this year, thankfully they came in before my surgery. It was a strange year weather wise, & our tomatoes were late,
So far, my recovery seems to go well, this past week is a bit of a setback, but from what I read, that’s pretty common. Hopefully, next week will see that ride on the old coaster headed back up. I’m ready... was moving along real well for a while, & ready to get back on course!
Good luck on that other knee. My left is behaving well for now, hopefully, it will continue to do so & not get jealous!
 
I think I'm feeling better and better. I'm doing 30 minutes, no resistance, on the stationary bike, and 4 minutes on the elliptical, I also am walking a mile almost daily. I take a couple of days off a week. I have added a minute a week to the elliptical, so nothing drastic. Sometimes I get that aching pain but it goes away.
This is so hopeful and reminds me of the possibilities when I'm several months from surgery.
 
I changed my PT after one session. What he was doing two weeks after TKR didn’t sit well with me and it hurt. It was also obvious that he hadn’t read my medical history and was dismissive of my concerns. I start with a different PT on Tuesday.
 
Crossing fingers this one is a good one. And good for you! The first one sounded a bit extreme. Mine is someone we have both used before, she’s very good.
 
I'm thinking there are many plateaus on the recovery road. I'm a little discouraged because I allowed myself to think I had made it to a new level.
Alas, theast few days have been tough. I am sore and achy, not really terrible pain, just enough for me to catch myself when I walk and limp a teeny bit. Why, why, WHY?! I don't think I have done anything extra, but I have been fairly active. I decided to cut back my one mile walks to see if that helps. I was doing them almost every day, now perhaps, 2-3 days a week instead. I'll try, or else maybe cut them out until the soreness is gone.

My husband is now taking walks outside and he told me I slow him down so he doesn't want to walk with me and has been walking alone. I wonder why he has to be so fast? He just had surgery a week ago. I also felt a little hurt, and I didn't say anything because I think I'm being too emotional about this. :sorry:

Any words of wisdom from my fellow knee soldiers?
 
@Reader525 You've been through a lot recently and I'm sure your husband's surgery took an emotional tool on you! Give yourself some grace. Sending hugs your way.

:hugzz:
 
My husband is now taking walks outside and he told me I slow him down so he doesn't want to walk with me and has been walking alone. I wonder why he has to be so fast? He just had surgery a week ago. I also felt a little hurt, and I didn't say anything because I think I'm being too emotional about this. :sorry:
You husband sounds like he may need the internal competition to push himself (Superman). It may also be hard for him to walk slowly. I found that situation when I was rehabbing my left knee and my Mom was rehabbing from a stroke. Can you challenge him to be able to walk at your pace ... or just walk at different times until you can walk together again? No need agonizing over capabilities.

I'm a big proponent of taking care of your whole self. Treat yourself to something fun, you absolutely deserve it.
 
@hawk2go I can see that I'm focusing on capabilities I don't have right now, and a part of me is probably envious that he is recovering so much quicker than I am. I know it's a completely different surgery, but a part of me liked it better when were equally struggling! Today I told him I'd be his back if he'd be my knees and he liked that.

I probably should give myself a break and realize it's been a tough time for both of us and celebrate what we have.
 
I agree with Hawkie... you should absolutely treat yourself. Maybe a manicure, or maybe high tea with a friend....or even alone! my daughter has treated me to this, we dress up, & feel all elegant ( as you can see in my photo, I’m Definitely not elegant!). But it is fun, and a real treat. You Do deserve it....you’ve been through a lot. And still helping & encouraging others in the midst of it all.
As to the walking, at present, mine is Very Slow. We went to our local Farmers Market every Saturday right up to my surgery. My pace was rather slow & painful. Turns out it was difficult for my husband also. And he would carry our produce. He’s not much taller than me.
So don’t think you’re too emotional, and Do treat yourself. From a friend who you have encouraged. Take care.
 
I decided to cut back my one mile walks to see if that helps. I was doing them almost every day, now perhaps, 2-3 days a week instead. I'll try, or else maybe cut them out until the soreness is gone.
My suggestion @Reader525 would be to cut them out, or make them really short, until the soreness is gone. Then either cut your walk to a half mile daily, or try just a short walk on the day after a full mile. Add distance slowly, making sure to carefully evaluate how your knee feels the next day.
 
@FCBayern Maybe it's from all those marathon running years, I have a tendency to slowly build up mileage and I know it's not appropriate anymore, I'm only setting myself up for failure. I was feeling a little "normal" when I hit the mile marker, and now I have to stop.

I know, I know, I KNOW I am no longer 35 years old but it's hard for me to acknowledge myself as old!
 
Hi everyone, I had my LTKR July 7, 2021, I definitely would not have made it through the long, hard slog of recovery without all of my BoneSmart helpers. @Jockette, @patriciad, @sistersinhim just to name a few of you wonderful people. It has now been a year and a few weeks and I am so much better, no terrible pain, no really bad stiffness or swelling...BUT, I am still having some trouble with mobility and walking. In spite of exercises and working out, my knee hyper-extends and I just can't seem to strengthen my quad enough to walk like everyone else. I have to tell myself to relax my leg and control my knee to maintain it from going back too far. I'm not even sure I'm explaining it right, suffice to say, it's very noticeable and is frequently commented upon. I wonder if perhaps my age and the length of time I suffered before my surgery are working against me here.
I work about 4 days a week on my feet for about 6 hours without a break. I am a little sore at times but it's very manageable, but walking around is awkward. When I leave and sit down, I recover quickly, within 10 minutes or so, I'm comfortable again.
I'm fit, 110 lbs. and extremely healthy 72 years old tomorrow, as a matter of fact. Does anyone know if I can expect more strength to return to my leg, or whether I should be grateful for what I've overcome so far.
Thank you everyone!
 
Hi everyone, I had my LTKR July 7, 2021, I definitely would not have made it through the long, hard slog of recovery without all of my BoneSmart helpers.
I'm fit, 110 lbs. and extremely healthy 72 years old tomorrow, as a matter of fact.
Happy Birthday, tomorrow.
 
Back
Top Bottom