Hello!h
Here I am.....a very appreciative, if irregular, member. Since I went back to school Sept. 28, I have been extremely busy.
Now, as you wrote, Layla, I am two months post-op. I am doing great. I just got back home from my two mile(!) walk! Yes, I am up to two miles and my speed is up, as well.
And I have been very good about following the study's protocol (I am in a study dealing with prosthetic joint infections). There is only one issue I have had, and it concerns the antibiotic, Doxycycline.
After stopping the IV Vancomycin, I began the oral Doxycycline (100mg. 2x a day). Since I had taken this before with minimal side effects, I didn’t anticipate any problem. Yet, this time, after two weeks, I began to get sick. I felt queasy all the time. This had not happened before when I took Doxycycline.
There was one difference. Previously, I had taken a tablet form of the medicine; this time, I had been given a capsule. The medicine had to be the same, so I thought I must be crazy. But my infectious disease doctor said I was not crazy at all...she said that the tablet and capsule did have differences, and this is most likely why I had begun to have trouble with it.
I had some tablets left from a few months ago. My doctor said that I could take the tablet form and she will specify “tablet” on subsequent prescriptions. This difference (between the tablet and capsule) has got to be the culprit I have to take this antibiotic until the end of March.
I didn’t intend on going on so long about this tablet/capsule issue.
Actually, I would like to know if others have had to take an antibiotic for this long. Hopefully, I will get to stop taking Doxycycline at the end of March. By then, I will have been taking an antibiotic for over 14 months! There have to be long term effects. I am a bit uneasy about taking an antibiotic for this long. Thank y’all for reading this long lost. Take care and have a great week.