Hip Infection* Rare five-year post op Issue

I'm sorry that infection reared its ugly head again. I hope that this total replacement of all the hardware, plus the antibiotics, will cure it once and for all.
 
I clicked on “How can I find my threads and posts?” and got the “Oops! We ran into ........ “ followed by “You do not have permission to view this page.”
 
@Elle6
I am so sorry about everything that you have gone through. I had a complication after my right hip that cost me a year of my life and more pain than I could have imagined, so I understand what it is to have your life shrink around your hip. The thought that an infection of this magnitude could result in no pain or illness, and only a tiny change in the incision line is very scary for me as it is the kind of thing I would likely ignore and carry on with. I am 8ish weeks post-op on my second hip and the incision line is all kinds of tender with firm bits in it - after reading your thread I will be watching it closely for any changes!

I wish you the very best in getting over this infection. Though it has been a great trial, please have confidence that you will overcome it and return to your active life. Hugs!
 
Thank you so much for your inspiring words. I hope that my “hip story” will make others diligent about looking at their incisions and questioning everything. I also had some hard places. These little places were not visible; not did they hurt. The diagnosis was scar tissue. Was it scar tissue? To this day, I don’t know. I am well on the way to being, at what is supposed to be, the end of this journey. I still am using the walker although I believe I will
be using a cane within a few days. My pain is abating and is manageable with only a pain pill in the morning. Sometimes when I am frustrated and dying to be in my classroom (even though it is empty three days a week), I remind myself of what my “illness” is not: it is not cancer, heart disease, or a lung issue. There are so many sicknesses that I could have, but I have something that can be fixed. For this, I am really grateful. Thanks again for your kind words. Keep your eyes on your hip and go with your instinct. Elle6
 
I remind myself of what my “illness” is not: it is not cancer, heart disease, or a lung issue. There are so many sicknesses that I could have, but I have something that can be fixed.

I love your positivity and grace in the midst of a trial. While my heart goes out to you and all who suffer complications, especially infection, there is hope as we see many go on to lead full active lives. Will be watching for your happy ending. It’s coming! :)
I hope you have a wonderful week!
 
@Elle6 you have got super attitude to what has happened to you, and its true that it is not an awful diagnosis like cancer, but it still takes strength to fight your way through it and come out smiling. I will not bore you with my history but I still have a spacer in after sepsis for the third time its scary, but I am leading a healthy normal life on crutches until Covid settles and we attempt another replacement. My first infection was after 17 years with replacement, it can happen at any stage and like you I worked and was as far as I knew 100% healthy, until an aspiration was done and really thought my life was over. Bone infection is a devastating thing to happen not only to the patient, but to the surgeon as well. Have a wonderful future and and a healthy lifexxx
 
Thank you Layla and clodaghcov! Your words really inspired me this morning! I had a bit of a setback and had to stop my IV antibiotic for two days. I will start back this morning and take it once, instead of twice, a day. My incision is “dry” now, and I am hopeful it will stay this way. I just have a different “feeling” and pray that it is because the infection is going, going, gone!!
I cannot imagine sepsis, Clo. Sounds as though you have been through an awful lot. And talk about a positive attitude! Yours is amazing!
Hang in there ladies! Look forward to keeping up with your successes.
 
Yay for a dry incision! Wonderful news. :happydance: Prayers it stays that way.
Keep in touch, we’re here for you. Hope this day is a good one!
@Elle6
 
Stopping by to say Hi:hi:
How are you doing since you last posted? We’d love to hear from you and support you as you move forward.
Wishing you a week of peace. :)
@Elle6
 
Thank you for checking on me. After the first two weeks, my recovery really took off! Exactly one month post-op, I am leaving my cane in one room and not realizing it for several minutes. I am more grateful everyday that I was randomly chosen for single-stage revision surgery. I cannot imagine having a temporary spacer right now and preparing for my second (and final) surgery in several weeks or months.
My prayer is that all the antibiotics will kill the infection. Then I will be finished for sure!! I have two more weeks of IV Vancomycin and then six months of an oral antibiotic. Next week when I see the infectious disease doctor, I will find out what the oral antibiotic will be. I know that I can tolerate Doxycycline for a long period of time, but I don’t know if that will be the one.
I go back to work the 28th and am very excited about that. I miss school a lot, even if it is now a a nearly unrecognizable place.
Thank you again for asking for an update. I hope everyone on the site is doing well.
 
You’re welcome! We love hearing from you.
Prayers the antibiotics do the job. :prayer:
Wonderful news on your progress in losing the cane. I wish you all the best at your appointment with the infectious disease doctor next week. It’s nice you’re looking forward to your return to work, as opposed to dreading it. Hopefully it’s a wonderful and fulfilling distraction from your situation and all the other craziness going on in the world these days.
Be safe, stay well and in touch. Thanks so much for updating!
@Elle6
 
@Elle6 Thank you for your thread. I remember you first time round both 2015! Your information was so helpful. I am of the view that the more we know, the more ahead of things we can get. I am fingers crossed that you get fully better soon.
 
Good morning!
Thanks for your inspiring replies. I want to get 100% infection free. I have been hopeful until yesterday. Because of the PiCC line and Vancomycin, I have two blood draws each week. The results have shown improvement every week. Last night I even compared some of the recent results to those way back in March. Wow!! Talk about improvement! Yet, my C-Reactive Protein(?) which measures inflammation was .50 yesterday; Monday it was .20. I definitely will ask my team about this. Also yesterday my blood pressure was low, and my hemoglobin was too.....it always is. (It stays around 9.0).
On the bright side, I walked a mile Wednesday. I did use the cane but was happy to have done this without being totally useless the rest of the day. I seem to feel better than some of my numbers indicate.
I guess my concern involves the infection. The test which measures inflammation is a good indicator of infection and this is scary. I have seven more days of Vancomycin and then six months of an oral antibiotic (don’t know yet which one). Do you know if it is “normal” for the CRP to go up and down? I can hardly wait until Monday for my next bloodwork.
Thank you for reading this. I am really kind of down about it, but I do not behave like a worried person because that makes it worse.
Thanks again! Enjoy the weekend.
 
Good Morning,
Of course you want to be infection free and that is our hope for you also. Please try not to stress as we all know stress doesn’t do our body any good and from what I’ve read it can activate the inflammatory process. Your best bet as you wait for your appointment is to try to de-stress, get adequate sleep, exercise as tolerated since it helps lower CRP levels and strive for an anti-inflammatory diet which can be easily researched online, if you haven’t done so already. Prayers for your peace of mind and that you receive reassuring info on Monday. I hope you have a relaxing weekend! :console2:
@Elle6
 
All the best for your appointment today...:fingersx:
Hopefully all good news.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom