Guest viewing is limited

TKR Randi's In Recovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Tim - I'm still trying to figure out what takes the stiffness away...did gym/swim again today and it felt even worse, then iced/rested and for the moment it's gone. I figure that by the time I figure it out it will be gone ! :snork:
 
Randi, only time will take the stiffness away. It's all part of recovery. If your knee is stiff and you do more activity then it will only get worse, and you found that out. Rest, ice, elevate and take pain meds-that will help with the stiffness. It stays around for a long time but as time go by it isn't so bad.
 
Thanks Bassplayer and Jerseychick. I'm doing fine again. Started deep water aqua fit twice a week and it really seems great- a wonderful workout and no pain or stiffness after. I've learned though that I am completely uncoordinated!:hysterical:
 
Hi Randi,
I just read your recovery thread. Thanks so much for posting. I hope that you are feeling better. Your dog is beautiful and I am uncoordinated, too.
 
Hi Nyland -Maybe being uncoordinated is a result of TKR -or a cause --or TKR is just a good excuse!
 
Hi friends - a question . The last few days I've started having pain on the inside of my knee that is reminiscent of what was there before the surgery. It's not bad but worrying. Just came back from a long walk with my big guy and I'm icing..Off to aqua fit this afternoon - don't think this pain is related to that. Please tell me this is nothing to fret over!
 
4 days later...looks like it is the aqua fit that is a problem...this class is very advanced and I really wanted to prove that my new knee could do everything but I have been really, really sore -and really frustrated- since the class on Thursday. Even had an incident where my knee caught while I was walking .It really frightened me. I'm pretty sure it's the movements that push the knee sideways that have done it. It hurt when I did it but I thought I would push through -and now I'm paying. Hope I haven't done any permanent damage. Phooey.:cry4:
 
:dev-godseesaw: Oh, Randi---just more of that up and down---get to feeling pretty good and everybody says the water thing is so good and easy----then you go and take an aqua fitness class and your knee is not quite fit enough for it--and voila! :hairpulling: knee acts up and says "TOO MUCH!"

I doubt there's any permanent damage---just sore muscles and soft tissue. I find that my knee doesn't care for any movements that are twisting and lets me know immediately.

Apply the BoneSmart mantra and you'll be fine in a day or two. :biggrin:
 
An update ..I've been 'good' since Thursday. Very little exercise, icing, resting ,etc and of course I do feel better physically. Being "in" however isn't so good for my spirits. So now I'm debating whether to try my class again this afternoon but without doing the twisting bits...I realize that I don't want to admit I have limitations but that I do- a bit discouraging.

Back at work big time.. I work mostly from home which like this whole journey has its ups and downs.Not as motivated or enthusiastic as I usually am. I'm feeling kind of icky for the first time in a long while. Ah well, this too shall pass...
 
I have another question I'm going to aim at @Josephine: The pain at the sides of my knees seems to be coming and going depending on my level of activity .I feel like I did at about 4 weeks post-op --not good now that I'm 4 + months post-op. I did think it was from too much exercise, then maybe too little. I'm confused. And now, the last 2 days or so I have pain behind my knee radiating into my calf and it's waking me up at night.. I should probably call the OS but I hate to--when I saw him last he was so excited that I was "flying" and said I didn't need to see him until the year mark -but did say I should call if there was a problem -so, is this a problem ???
 
Randi, the way to tag Josephine is this: type Josephine as you have been doing, but then type a semi-colon. When you post the semi-colon becomes a colon and the whole thing turns blue and she is tagged.
 
Well, it seems to be a problem for you, doesn't it? When surgeons say "if there's a problem" they don't necessarily mean if there's a serious problem because how would you know that? He meant if there's anything worrying you. This is worrying you so it would appear to be a problem!

Seriously, it depends upon what you have been doing. It's perfectly possible to cause soft tissue inflammation even at 4 months with too much of the wrong kind of activity.

So if you would, please detail all your activities over the previous few weeks, also giving me an idea of what you do in a day.
 
Tough question since I've been trying all kinds of things. I try to do the old PT stretches for flex and extension at least twice a day. I've been in the waterfor 1/2 hour at a time about 3 times a week - I deep water 'walk' and do about 6 -10 lengths of crawl. I also try to do 1/2 hour of stationery bike about 3 - 4 times per week. I walk my dog at least 1/2 an hour each day, often twice that and have taken a few 3 mile walks in the least few weeks.
What I think might have set this off is first I had a fall about a month ago and then I started a deep water aqua fit class twice weekly about 3 weeks ago. It's very rigorous - lots of kicking and my knee was definitely unhappy with some twisting -so I've stopped that. Been lying low - and feeling kind of low- the last few days, but my knee does seem happier. I don't think I'll go back to the class- and I'm trying not to fall again. I've been icing when I can--all this as I've re-entered work big time...so lots of changes but I suspect it is just soft tissue so I've stopped panicking and I'm hoping that this too shall pass...@Josephine:
 
I just came ove to say Hi. sorry to hear about pain. Remember when you do it in the water you can hurt your knees without knowing it because the water allows you do anything. So please be careful with that. i was told to just walk in the water and be careful of kicking because you can overdue it. Being in water can be very freeing so don't give up. Hope you dog is doing well and give him a hug for me. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom