Guest viewing is limited

TKR Randi's In Recovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Randi,

Glad you mostly had such a good time.
Sounds like it might be worth getting your doctor's input. Hope it's not still painful!

Thanks for your good wishes for my second TKR. I hope it will go through this week as scheduled (unlike last week)...
 
Today is my 6 month anniversary. It's all good, though not quite perfect. I'm happy with the results so far and hopeful that I can work out the few remaining 'kvetches'.
 
Okay, time for a reality check...Oh does this ever end? Just got up the nerve to finally call the OS..I've been having episodes where my knee 'catches' on the side and then it hurts and is really stiff for a few days. At first it was just occasionally but now it's almost every time I walk more than 20 minutes and even in the pool yesterday. Grr...I hate to admit there may be a problem but time to check it out.:gaah:
 
Randi, sorry to hear about this. Healing just takes time and effort. It sounds that you for the most part are doing ok. Please take care and do keep me posted on how you are doing. Take care and stay safe. :puppysmooze:Tashia
 
Could it be a bit of scar tissue? Hopefully you'll get reassurance at your appointment. Will hear how it goes
 
Randy, Have you seen the OS yet? I hope is just scar tissue. Sometimes it seems it never ends but it does. It just takes time. Do keep us informed. :puppysmooze:Tashia:SUNsmile:
 
Randy We haven't heard how you are doing. What did you find out? :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:
 
Sorry I've been so quiet. I've been upset and didn't want to share my mood with everyone. Finally saw the surgeon this morning...not such great news. It appears my patella is not tracking properly. X-ray showed an imbalance under the knee cap and a major leaning to one side. At least this confirms once again that I'm not crazy. My knee has been catching and sore and clicking strangely. Apparently this has to do with the way I heal, scarring or something and he reassured me it's nothing I've done or not done. So - back to physiotherapy to see if we can figure something out (back to the physio I know and trust at the hospital though its a 45 minute drive each way) and see OS again in 2 months. And if not, it's "hopefully not a major repair". Anybody know anything about this? Josephine;

And, just to make life even more interesting I'm having terrible pain in my left leg --not sure if it's hip or back, not likely my knee but that's possible, too. So off to my family doc on Thursday to start sorting that out. ****.
 
Oh, Randi, I could just cry for you
[Bonesmart.org] Randi's In Recovery!
What an absolutely rotten break! But don't stay away because you're down----this is when you need us most, and we want to be here for you.

You're in our heart and we care.
[Bonesmart.org] Randi's In Recovery!
Please keep us posted.
 
Thanks Judy. I need all the support I can get right now...I'm finding this tough.
 
Hi Randi, Sorry to hear you're struggling with these issues. Lets hope you don't need surgery and the physio works. The can do McConnell's taping but I'm not sure if it fixes it or just relieves it. Josephine will know.
 
Finally saw the surgeon this morning...not such great news. It appears my patella is not tracking properly. X-ray showed an imbalance under the knee cap and a major leaning to one side.
Patello-femoral pain syndrome (PFPS), fat pad impingement (Hoffa's Syndrome)
Apparently this has to do with the way I heal, scarring or something and he reassured me it's nothing I've done or not done.
Well he was being kind but I'm afraid I'm not going to be. I just reread this thread and found I told you at least three times that you were doing far too much far too soon. Walking miles round the mall at 5 weeks, gym and pool almost every day. And then you wonder why you knee is rebelling. Well, maybe it didn't actually CAUSE the patellar maltracking but it can certainly made it a lot worse.Anyway, too late now and who's to say whether your early activities made it worse or not - I'm just saying it could have.

I am saying this to the readership at large, not just to you, Randi, but you girls across the pond have got to understand that you cannot hurry this process. I know you get crazy being indoors and you get cabin fever and all that - you think we UK folk don't as well? But we've shown you over and over that the best way is the gentle way.

So - back to physiotherapy to see if we can figure something out (back to the physio I know and trust at the hospital though its a 45 minute drive each way) and see OS again in 2 months. And if not, it's "hopefully not a major repair". Anybody know anything about this?
So what's the cure? PT might do it, and McConnel taping as someone else mentioned. Surgical cure depends upon have you had your patellar resurfaced (did it get a plastic button when you had your knee done?). If not, that would seem the first step but I doubt it would come to that.
 
Hi Randi, So sorry to hear about this. I hope that PT can resolve it and that a repair won't be necessary. And good that you're checking about the pain in your left leg. Please don't suffer alone - keep us posted! :friends:
 
Randi, sorry to hear about your setback. I hope the PT is helping. And Josephine, it's not cabin fever, at least not for me. It was the very clear message I got from the surgical team...that the people who heal best are those who get back to their lives, who don't let others wait on them. Well, I pushed and I paid for it. I'd still be pushing, assuming I was being a pain-baby if I hadn't found this site. And I'm not sure who's right, but the advice I've gotten here seems to agree with what my body wants. My knee says "ice" and "rest"...I don't even want to stretch, but I do because I'm told by everyone that I need to. I can tell that summer, and resting and icing and occasional dips in a pool are all making a difference. I feel like I'm behind. I still take pain meds at nearly six months post op. but I have a sense I know what to do. And now, I have the luxury of time in which to do it.

Randi, I can feel your frustration, and your hesitation to go back to the surgeon. I'm glad you did. It's a good message for those of us who think we must be doing something wrong if we feel pain. Sometimes we are, and sometimes things just go wrong. Your reactions have been hugely helpful to me, Josephine, but you have to hear that they often completely contradict the doctor and PT advice I get here across the pond.
 
Josephine; I really don't think I have been overdoing it but that's a matter of opinion I suppose.

However, the more important issue is that what is going on does not appear to fit the PFPS diagnosis -I am not really feeling a lot of pain but my ability to walk is being limited...my knee is 'catching' because the patella is tipped almost 90 degrees due to scar tissue growth as I understand it.

"Surgical cure depends upon have you had your patellar resurfaced (did it get a plastic button when you had your knee done?). If not, that would seem the first step but I doubt it would come to that" -

Yes, I did have the plastic button inserted during the initial surgery - so not sure what that means?.
 
And Josephine, it's not cabin fever, at least not for me. It was the very clear message I got from the surgical team...that the people who heal best are those who get back to their lives, who don'e let others wait on them.

Randi, I can feel your frustration, and your hesitation to go back to the surgeon. I'm glad you did. It's a good message for those of us who think we must be doing something wrong if we feel pain. Sometimes we are, and sometimes things just go wrong. Your reactions have been hugely helpful to me, Josephine, but you have to hear that they often completely contradict the doctor and PT advice I get here across the pond.

juniper; I agree..but I also know that when I didn't exercise I was much more stiff and sore. I was swimming almost every day and until this new nonsense started and if I missed a few days I felt awful. I have stopped for now until I see the physio next week , but mostly because of the sciatica in my other leg:groan:

It is always hard for me to think that things aren't going well. I try really hard to be a good patient and a positive person so this is not easy for me. Also, I really didn't want to hear that I was being a sissy but I have been through enough of these situations to know when I really have to check up . As far as this 'across the pond ' stuff, I am so far from a 'jock' that I really don't think this is the problem, in fact I can hear the people who know me laughing hysterically at the very thought !I had the knee replacement so that I could be more active and I'm going to fight to ensure that I can.:heehee:
 
I am glad that you came back Randi. Sometimes I stay away when I am down or overwhelmed and I don't know why because this group helps me so much. Please let us know how you are feeling and what you are thinking so we can support you. You just lifted my spirits by replying on my thread!! We all need each other.

You really have to drive 45 min each way for PT? Or was that just the trip to the OS? Did you read that my left leg was hurting also? I also think that we can compensate too much for our TKR leg and put too much stress on the other leg. I am so sorry about you knee cap, I hope that it can be worked out in PT and not surgery.

Take care and come back often...besides I love looking at your dog!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom