PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

Quad weakness is lingering with Bullwinkle (the knee's temporary name) too. What exercises are they having you do for it?
 
@iamshrdlu I assume that Bullwinkle is your right knee?? This PT just wants me to do one exercise. Take a green resistance band (green is the least resistant), hook one end around the leg of a chair (I use a dining chair) and the other end around my foot. Straightec leg from 90 degrees flex out in front of me to full extension. Like this:

[Bonesmart.org] Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

This is not me, btw !!!
 
Firstly, just want to report back on a lovely time on Sunday with @CATSMUM and her husband. Loads of chat, lots of laughter and lovely food, perfect afternoon. Was SO good to have a face-to-face conversation with someone who 'gets it'.

Saw my PT for the second time last night.

We had a chat about how the week has been (ok overall). He has given me a couple more exercises to try (clamshells and sit to stand squats - but not squatting low at all, I'm to do them on the highest chair/bed/surface I have at home).

I removed the tape yesterday afternoon and commuted home without it for the first time. It was ok at first but I could feel the soreness returning a bit after a couple of hours. He has re-taped it as it obviously is helping the soft tissues - he said I can have it taped for quite a few weeks or even months if necessary and if it helps.

I asked him outright what he thinks may be 'wrong'. He said he doesn't think that anything is wrong as such but that I shouldn't have the level of pain/discomfort that I still do at this far out so he thinks his 'input' will still be beneficial.

Had acupuncture again. I sat up this time and watched him do it - fascinating.

Knee feels pretty good today, not too sore. Tight and stiff as always but not too bad.

I think it has improved - a bit - since the beginning of the year.

He gave me some very good advice. He said to try not to focus on the knee all the time, think of other things, try to distract myself. He said it is hard doing this when you've had pain/problems for such a long time but at the moment my body is constantly on high alert for pain and is running with the volume turned right up! I understood completely what he meant and will definitely be more mindful about not obsessing (ha!) or focussing on it all the time.

I will see him again next week. He is going to give me a few pithy one liners that I can say to my OS when I see him - things that the OS will understand immediately and won't get confused by my waffling!

Hope everyone is having a good week.
 
It was lovely to meet you too, as you say so good to meet someone who 'gets it'. Hopefully it won't be too long before we get together again.
Sounds like you had a good session with your Physio yesterday evening. My Physio said exactly the same thing about the way I'm focussing on my knee. Must admit though that it's definitely feeling a little easier after having to work from home for the last 3 days!
Hope you're day is going well. X
 
Hey @Raffs and @CATSMUM how cool the two of you were able to meet. I agree it is great that after sharing so many thoughts with people who understand how you feel, it's neat to meet them face to face and realize how much you have in common. Funny, having people understand what you've gone through, creates a friendship bond no matter how many miles separate you.

Glad to hear your PT person is in sync with you, Lynn. He seems to know what to say and when to say it. It's no fun to still be in pain after all this time. I'm not sure any of use were prepared with the length of recovery time this can take even though we've heard enough people say, it can take a year or more. I just don't think we wanted us to be the ones to take that long!!
 
Good to "see" you in the house Momweb. I've been wondering about my surgery sisters.
 
My Wednesday update:

PT session last night. More acupuncture. He didn't tape my knee again as he said it looks like I have a slight reaction to the tape! He's given me the tape ready for me to put on myself tonight. He thinks that my issues are pretty much all related to irritated tissues in the fat pad plus the lingering internal scar tissue. He said that fat pad problems do take a very long time to resolve - oh good!!! He always seems very surprised and pleased when he bends my leg and sees how much flex I've got! Just got to carry on doing the exercises (he stressed I should be doing them moderately and not over doing things...) this week and I'll see him again next Tuesday.

Knee has been 'ok' this week. Had a couple of days when it has been sore and tender, couple of days when it hasn't been so bad. Still tight and stiff. I go from not worrying about it very much to working myself up into a right old state about it. Some days I think 'it takes a year or so for full recovery, think how far you've come in the last few months, it will be ok'. Other days I think 'I know something is wrong, something serious, this just cannot be right for 7.5 months out'. Aaargh!
 
Raffs,
I feel just like you do. One minute not bothering about knee, next wondering if I ought to see OS again. What worries me is that if newest hurts so does oldest. I can't make out if that is a good sign or a bad one. However there is no doubt that looking back I am so much better than I was just a few weeks ago.
Where is the fat pad? I don't know where it is or what it is.
 
Incidentally yesterday I had a cataract operation. And :loveshwr:I can see pretty well already. With or without specs. How can that be?
 
Hi @Raffs, every time I read one of your posts, I sit back and laugh because I could have written the same thing. Are you sure you're not me in disguise? Or are you me in my other life? I feel just like you. Today I took a step back thinking it was one step and it was 2 steps. That was a shock! Didn't hurt anything. Feel exactly the same as I did before.

That fat pad is such a pain (literally). How do they intend to get rid of the scar tissue? They told me scar tissue there was common after the surgery. Once the fluid was removed from the joint, I no longer had any pain behind the knee cap. Still fighting with the IT Band though.

Here's wishing you a week where you don't think about the knee. Your Connecticut knee buddy orders you not to think about the knee more thank 3 days out of the next 7, which 3 are up to you. How's that? Sounds silly to me, but isn't that what they're asking us to do? UGH!!!
 
@momweb @CATSMUM and I have decided that we are knee twins - would you like to be our knee triplet??!!

According to the PTs I have seen, the internal scar tissue will just eventually 'disappear' as the body breaks it down - I think this is in agreement with what I have read on here. They said that some people make more scar tissue and for some people it is more noticeable and it can take a very long time to go. They said that just general living and movement of the joint will help it to break down. My current PT also says that massaging it will help but other PTs I've seen disagree with this.

It is something I am going to raise with my OS when I see him on Tuesday though. I want him to check that I don't have excessive or unusual scar tissue that might need some intervention to get rid of.

Good to hear that some of your pain has gone, when do you next see your OS?

I have started making some notes in preparation for my appointment with the OS. This somehow feels like the most important consultation I have had so far - I cannot leave his consulting room without some answers - or at least the reassurance I need and/or some tests - x-ray or MRI. I am also going to ask him about having a steroid injection to see if that helps.

Hmm, I think that most days I struggle not to think about my knee every hour or so!! I know I am too focussed on it but the pain/discomfort levels are generally too high for me not to think about it.

I'll report back after I've seen the OS.
 
Thanks for the picture. My pain and discomfort is where you show the fat pad, but I have no fat there in fact it is quite boney. By the way can I be your knee quad?
 
@Majic My pain is there too - but I have plenty of fat there! You probably do have a little fat there, just not noticeable, unlike mine! Yes, of course you can be our knee quad!
 
Hi. It took me awhile to find you guys, but I am struggling with some of the same issues, particularly my IT band. Now using kineseo tape and rolling my IT band. Mostly I feel the pain going downstairs.

My OS assures me nothing is wrong with the implant. We have gone over the x-rays together, which look great. He said it can take 1 year to 28 months for the soft tissue issues to resolve. Am at 7 months so I guess that is still early. :gaah:
 
MY two TKRs are 4 years and 17 months old. They still niggle from time to time, but I am so much better off with them than I was before I had them.

I think it's wonderful the way our knees adjust to having such large foreign bodies in them.
I think of the size of the implants and compare that to the amount of discomfort I feel when I get a splinter and then it doesn't seem so difficult to realise that it does take a long time for our bones and soft tissues to accustom themselves to the implant.
 
According to the PTs I have seen, the internal scar tissue will just eventually 'disappear' as the body breaks it down - I think this is in agreement with what I have read on here.
You never read that on here, @Raffs In fact that entire paragraph is so much nonsense. IF you get adhesions or a build of of genuine scarring (which is uncommon) it's permanent and cannot be got rid of by massing, using cute little tools or depending on the body's ability to absorb it. It might shrink a little but no much else.

My pain and discomfort is where you show the fat pad, but I have no fat there in fact it is quite boney.
@Majic of course you have fat there! That's like saying you never had a meniscus or a tibial tubercle!
 
@Josephine I must be looking in the wrong place, could you describe where to find it. I seem to be just bones from the knee downwards.
 
It's actually called the infrapatellar fat pad - hear highlighted in blue
 
@Josephine my pain is in the intrapatellar fat pad and the patellar tendon, what is the best thing to do for it apart from paracetamol 1,000mg 4 X day which is what I am taking?
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom