PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

@Wanttobebiking My knee with the taping as promised:


[Bonesmart.org] Raffs' Recovery Thread<'
 
Same color tape anyway :heehee:

Once my PT put black tape down my IT band and I had to go to my swimming class that night. It looked like a racing stripe.

I see my PT tomorrow and am going to ask for ultrasound.

Do you think the taping helps? Thinking I should get some of the good tape applied tomorrow.
 
@Wanttobebiking The first time I had it taped he used bright blue tape. It was most attractive! The flesh tape pretty much 'disappears' under my opaque black tights/pantyhose.

Oooh - you had a go faster stripe!!

Please post an update on your thread tomorrow re the ultrasound. I only had one session before the injection which didn't seem to make much difference but I think it usually takes a few sessions to make a difference.

The brand of tape is Rocktape. It stays on very well. I can keep it on for a week if I use my plastic leg sleeve thing in the shower. It does help. It provides some compression on the painful tendon and helps keep the patella away from the sore tissues. I'd say it takes the pain down by one or two notches. Wearing my elasticated knee support (stretchy sleeve) gives me more pain relief than the taping.
 
@Raffs sorry I haven't responded sooner. My computer hard drive died and I've been without a computer for a few days. I've been dying to know how things worked out, so I was thrilled to finally be able to read your post. :) It's now Monday, so are you feeling any better? Has the swelling gone down? This is such a unique treatment and I so hope it works for you. That tendon has caused so much pain for you. You deserve to be galloping around pain free. (like the horse reference? LOL)

I'm doing ok, not pain free by any means, but better. We'll see how things go in the next couple of weeks. I see the surgeon on the 31st. In the meantime, our dog has to have his own surgery. Never ends.
 
@momweb Hi, I am a month behind you and still in some pain. Where do you get pain still?
 
@Majic Go to my thread and you'll see where the pain is. Most is behind the knee and to the side in the IT band.
 
@momweb Sorry to hear about your computer problems and your poor doggie. I can remember how stressed I was when our cat had to have major surgery. Sending wags to your pooch. I'll hop over to your thread after I've posted this to catch up on how you're doing.

So, I am now just over a week out from the PRP injection. Knee was very stiff, tight and sore for a few days. I found it difficult to bend my knee and just moving the knee around caused pain in the tendon. That has passed now though. Knee looks the same as before. It is quite warm across the front at the bottom but it always has been. Not all the time, just on and off during the day. I think my knee now feels pretty much as it did before the injection. It is quite hard to compare though because I haven't had it taped for over a week. Before the injection I have had it taped pretty much all the time since January so it is hard to remember what my 'naked' knee felt like. At present the pain is still there, tight and stiff and sore across the usual area. If I wear my elasticated knee support (which I have been doing during my commute to work and at times when the pain is worse) it really does help reduce the pain down. I think it must be the compression it provides. I'm getting my knee taped tonight as I'm off to a conference tomorrow until Monday (yes, I'm working the whole of the Easter weekend). I'll use my knee support as much as I need to, I won't have the time or energy to deal with the pain whilst I'm away!

Doctor said 4-5 weeks before I'll know if the injection has worked. At just over a week out I can report no noticeable difference yet but it is still early days.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I, too, was hoping to hear you would get some relief sooner rather than later. Try not to work too hard this weekend. Were you given any restrictions while you wait to see if this injection works?
 
Update at two weeks post PRP injection:

Survived the Conference ok. I taped my knee on Thursday morning before I left home and that helped as usual. I was on my feet a lot more than usual over the four days but it wasn't too bad. I did take some painkillers which I don't usually bother with. All in all, it could have been a lot worse. I didn't need to use my knee support at all. The pain was there all the time but only to a high level a couple of times.

Can't really feel any improvement yet following the injection but not panicking as only two weeks out.

Saw the OS yesterday. He went through the MRI scan with me. Nothing at all wrong apart from the inflamed patellar tendon. I was especially pleased when he pointed out that both the medial and lateral sides of my knee show no sign whatsoever of arthritis so the PKR was the right decision (for now anyway). He showed me the report from the radiologist who did the injection and said that it was as he expected. To be honest, the report was all in medical speak so I didn't really understand it. OS said that the improvement from the injection will be very slow. More importantly, he said that he will be very surprised indeed if it doesn't work. At my next appointment with the radiologist (April 26th) he said that the radiologist will look at the tendon via ultrasound again and compare it to how it was previously. If the inflammation has reduced but I still have pain then I'll probably have another injection. If the inflammation has reduced but I have no pain then I obviously won't need another injection. I asked what would happen if the injection doesn't work, what else could we try and he said this is the only treatment for now. I can see my PT next week and have ultrasound on it but no acupuncture. Told me to carry on with my normal activities and - guess what - be patient!!!

All in all, I am pretty pleased. Very happy that everything else looks good, now just need this injection to start doing its thing.

Hope everyone is doing well this week.
 
Lynn, good to know that everything is progressing as it should be. Hope that has made you feel a bit better.
 
I hope the injection kicks in soon and your pain finally goes away. It's good to know that your MRI should no other problems.
 
Glad to hear @Raffs that there is no other arthritis in the knee and you made the right decision. That should make you feel better. I know you want this injection to work because it's been a long time since you've been pain free. I know how that feels. Hang in there, at least you knew from the beginning that progress on the injection would be slow. I'm pulling for you. My next OS appt is the same day as yours.
 
Hey Raffs, I am patiently waiting along with you. So nice to hear your OS is confident both about the injection and the problem. I am sure it is frustrating for them too when these soft tissue issues flare up in their patients. And when you think about it, how could the issues not arise. My OS had to straighten my leg by about 5 percent. No wonder my tissues are angry. Already looking forward to your next report. Chin up!
 
@Raffs, glad to hear you're pleased with how things are progressing. Can't wait to hear more good news.
 
Update: four weeks post PRP injection.

Didn't post last week - got a horrid flu bug and was poorly for a few days. Still coughing now but the worst of it has gone, thank goodness!

Not much to report. I am still experiencing tightness and pain but I think it is a little better. It certainly isn't proving to be a speedy cure! My PT thinks that the tendon feels less 'thick' when he touches it. He said this is a good sign that healing is taking place. I had one day last week when the pain was worse than usual but this was fairly short lived and it felt not as bad again the next day. So, recovery from a 'bad' day seems to be quicker.

I'm still having my knee taped. The compression it provides to the tendon definitely helps with the pain.

I'm seeing the radiologist in 2 weeks time. He'll re-scan the tendon via ultrasound and compare how it is with how it was at the previous appointment. Assuming that the tendon is showing signs of healing then I'll have a second PRP injection then.

That's all for now, folks.

Hope everybody is doing really well.
 
Good to hear from you Raffs, sorry things are not looking up faster. My pain is now mainly surrounding my knee, and I suspect it is tendon problems, although I could be wrong as it as only come on fairly recentl, and does move around from day to day. Tomorrow I am going to see an Osteopath/Physiotherapist/Hydrotherapist for an assessment and some treatment, I do hope he can find out what the problem is. This weekend we are going to St Anne's and have tickets for the tea dance at the Blackpool Tower Ballroom. All our dance club are going together on a coach, and we also will have two evening dances, and optional morning lessons- I think I shall be giving them a miss. Will post with news after we get back.
 
Hi Lynn, I'm glad to hear the PRP is working for you. Many people swear by it. I had it done to 2 different tendons a few years ago. It worked for my posterior tibial tendon but not the Achilles (2 different feet). Glad you are feeling better from your flu bug!
 
So, it has been 6 weeks since the PRP injection.

There has been some improvement but I still have tightness and discomfort all the time when standing and walking. When it hurts it seems to recover more quickly which is good.

Saw the radiologist last night. He said that he can't really see any difference on the ultrasound but he wouldn't expect to until about 3 months. We discussed the improvement I've had and decided to do a second injection.

So, blood taken, spun in centrifuge and then the plasma injected into the tendon. He did it so quickly this time because the tendon is less inflamed so the procedure was much less painful. Yay! I couldn't believe how fast it was this time. Afterwards my knee was (is) stiff and sore but nothing like it was last time.

This is all positive. The tendon is obviously in much better shape than 6 weeks ago. Hopefully the next 6 weeks will see further improvement.

Doctor said to have a phone consultation with him in about 6 weeks then see the OS. They'll then decide between them what's next, if anything.

Hope everyone is doing well.
 
Hi Raffs, I do hope these injections are going to be successful, I know how long six weeks seems when you have to wait for the next opinion- like an eternity!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom