Guest viewing is limited

PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

Well, if it turns out to be the answer, so be it. Try not to get too wrought up about it. But your surgeon sounds like a really nice chap. Who is he? I'd like to put him on my list of 'go to' people for future reference.
 
@Raffs - Sounds like you've gotten a lot of good direction on how to proceed. Try to take it one day at a time and not to worry about things that "might" happen.. I know it's easier said than done, but I found a lot of things I 'worry' about never ever happen.. (That doesn't necessarily stop me from worrying, but hey, I keep giving myself the same advice!!! Maybe someday I'll be able to do that.... ) Hang in there, my friend! :heehee:
 
@Celle thanks. I did some reading last night about taping and the benefits should be two-fold - (1) allow the fat pad to heal if no longer being impinged and (2) provide pain relief so that PT can continue to work on weak muscles and muscle imbalance. I guess we will see!

@hawk2go thanks. I was awake a lot last night!

@Josephine assume you mean the PT (haven't seen the OS for a couple of months)? I will post his details in a couple of weeks - he is just about to move to a new practice and I hope to follow him there. He is really nice and was very patient with me last night as I went through my long list of questions!

In case you are interested, the OS is Richard Carrington who does his NHS work at the RNOH in Stanmore and works privately at the Spire in Bushey, Hertfordshire and the Wellington in St John's Wood, London.

@Braunzie yes, lots to think about (worry about!) and lots to be getting on with. Am definitely going to take it day by day, first day today that I've commuted to work (I use the tube) without my knee support. It was ok, knee was a bit tight but not too bad. There was major disruption on part of my journey which meant I had to take an alternative route which involved more walking - typical!! I am a worrier, always have been, suspect I always will be.... Thanks for your support.
 
Hi @Raffs

sorry to hear that you are having problems but you seem to have a plan. I've had issues at a year out with some pain behind my knee and was beginning to worry but after resting for a couple of weeks and just walking and some ice, everything is sorted out and I am back walking miles and at the gym too with no pain.

I suppose what I am saying is that over the last year, I have learned that there will be setbacks and doing lots of exercise is not the answer when your knee is hurting. As my OS told me it takes a year to 18 months and sometimes up to 2 years for complete recovery so don't lose heart.
 
assume you mean the PT
Oh yes! I am unaccustomed to such a detailed report from a physio! I just naturally assumed it was the surgeon!
In case you are interested, the OS is Richard Carrington who does his NHS work at the RNOH in Stanmore
Ah, I never actually worked with him at RNOH - he was appointed after my time there - but I have met him socially once. He is a nice chap!
 
@SuperSnapper thanks for your support. I aspire to have a knee like yours before the end of this year - you are doing so well. I used to be able to do long hikes (8-10 miles) and hope that someday I will be able to again. I do have days when I feel so down and wish I hadn't had the surgery but these days pass and then I feel much more positive and am nowhere near ready to give up just yet! Thanks again.

@Josephine Richard Carrington is very nice - he is very blunt and to the point but I don't mind that, he gives a straight answer! I wanted an OS who did their NHS work at the RNOH as I knew the surgeons there would be very good. I chose Richard Carrington because out of all the knee surgeons from the RNOH he has done the most PKRs and, in particular, the most PFJ replacements (according to the National Joint Registry).
 
Your new treatment plan sounds logical. I have become suspicious of "tendonitis" as a diagnosis, as it gets quickly slapped on any front knee pain. I hope the taping and new plan helps give you the relief you need. I know how much you are looking forward to having a normal leg again.
 
I have become suspicious of "tendonitis" as a diagnosis, as it gets quickly slapped on any front knee pain.
That's mainly because it's the most common type of pain in a TKR and most commonly brought on by too much exercising/activity! :wink:
 
Saw my GP yesterday. Haven't seen her for about 4 months so wanted to see her to get her take on things. She's been so supportive and helpful throughout my recovery.

In a nutshell, she said she thinks I'm doing ok and that the issues I have are part and parcel of this recovery for many people. She said she sees many knee patients most of whom have at least some of the same things as I have at 6.5 months out.

Told me to take ibuprofen 2 or 3 times a day to help with the inflamed tissues. I've got to take Lansaprazole to protect my stomach.

Told me to continue with my PT, see the OS as scheduled on Feb 23rd and to see her soon after that so I can update her again.

Told me not to be so hard on myself! I told her that I am being hard 'for' myself, not 'on' myself - there's a difference! LOL!

She confirmed that the possible patella maltracking could be an issue if it is not resolved by the taping and the strengthening/rebalancing of my muscles. Told me not to worry about this for now though as my ROM and everything else is good so there may not be any maltracking.

I'm seeing the PT tonight so will report back tomorrow on what he says.
 
Told me to take ibuprofen 2 or 3 times a day to help with the inflamed tissues. I've got to take Lansaprazole to protect my stomach.
Hmmm .... my GP surgery won't prescribe nor even recommend NSAIDs any more. Too many cases of stomach bleeds being reported.
Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers
Told me not to be so hard on myself! I told her that I am being hard 'for' myself, not 'on' myself - there's a difference! LOL!
I don't think so! The intention might be different but the result is exactly the same!
 
@Josephine that's really interesting re NSAIDs. My GP will only recommend ibuprofen and only under her supervision. I'm only going to take 400mg twice a day for a week or so and with Lansaprazole.

Yes....you are right about the intention and the result - but this is what I keep telling myself :heehee:

My PT said the same thing to me tonight so I will take heed!

In fact, if I had a £ (or $) for every time someone has told me to be less hard on myself during this recovery I'd have enough money to take everyone who reads my thread on a cruise!!! :rofsign:
 
@Raffs, I'll go on a that cruise with you! No one's been more hard on themselves than people like us! We had the surgery because we were in pain. We expected the pain to go away and when it didn't in what we assumed was a reasonable time we're hard on ourselves? OK!!!! Well, I won't allow myself to get down, but I will push for answers. Whether it's from the surgeon, the radiologist, the PT or me. Somebody needs to asks the right questions and search for the right answers. I am realistic though, that sometimes, there are no answers. But I don't want to hear that until all stones have been turned over.

I had patella tracking issues before the surgery. I used to literally push the patella back into its track. You have no idea how painful that was! Fortunately my other knee hasn't gotten that bad. Most of my pain is behind the kneecap. That was the case in the one I had surgery in as well. Taping is supposed to do wonders and I hope it works for you. I couldn't do taping because of my allergy to adhesives. I also took a preventative for my stomach when I was taking Diclofenac (another anti-inflammatory med). Sounds like your GP is really looking out for you and you have everything under control. It's the waiting that's the worse. Will it work? Will it get better? What will happen if it doesn't? I hear you and I understand.

I so agree I am glad we have each other to bounce things off of, because I so understand how you feel. Keep posting and I will keep reading. Try and have a good week. Try not to let your knee rule your week, you control how you feel not that stupid knee! :) Thinking of you, Lynn.
 
Riffs you sound like you doing good just still having after affects from the ops them selves I know after my second op I suffered badly lost sleep meds didn't seem to help every time I spoke to my OS he said it was scaring that was doing most of the drama remember you have had pretty major surgery mate and it will take time as that is what's need im sure other will be able to advise you on the medical side stay strong and let it determine your healing time


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Had a good session with the PT last night.

He thinks the taping is helping and I do too. We have left it on and will either change it or remove it next week.

The fat pad is definitely less puffy looking, my non-op knee looks worse now.

Spoke to him about the patella maltracking and he put my mind at rest. He said the maltracking is marginal and only what almost everybody he sees would have regardless of whether or not they have had knee surgery. By taping my patella he said it is now tracking absolutely perfectly. He said that I have a good knee.

We worked on my gait as I am aware that I am still slightly 'flicking' my foot when I walk although nobody would notice apart from me or a PT.

I've got an exercise to do for balance which basically involves standing on one leg with my eyes shut. I am terrible at it, can only last a couple of seconds before I wobble!

Will continue icing and will not wear a knee support.

Knee feels tighter and a bit sore today. As well as the PT I had to do a bit more walking than usual yesterday so I guess I'm feeling the after affects of that. I am supposed to be going somewhere later than involves a long-ish walk there and back but I will see how my knee feels when I get home.

@momweb Yes, I completely agree. We need answers and we won't stop asking questions until we are sure that there are no more answers. It's a shame that you can't try the taping as it has definitely made a difference. I have about 5 weeks until I next see the OS, so this is my waiting game. I'd like to see some improvement before then otherwise I'll be asking him some questions. I will have a good week, thanks! I'm out tomorrow night and Friday night and won't let the knee rule! Thanks for your comments.

@Rattles very wise words, thanks. I am feeling pretty strong today, I just need to allow my knee to heal in its own time and not keep pushing.
 
@Raffs, sounds like a good report and you are on your way, slowly but surely. The first injection I had into the joint removed a lot of the fluid and the puffiness in the fat pad was reduced dramatically. I was shocked. I think that was what was causing the pain beneath the knee cap. He has removed so much of my knee cap that I shouldn't have any pain there. Now, I rarely have any. I did buy an IT Band Compression Brace to see if that will help. I guess we shall see. It should arrive sometime next week.
 
Hi Raffs, hope the tapeing does the trick for you! Keep us updated :-)
 
Knee feels tighter and a bit sore today.
every single time I do too much, El Jefe responds in kind. If you're able to track the "extra" activity, you may be able to space it out a bit more. I can't always avoid the heavy days but I can surround them with lighter activity days.
 
@momweb yes, I feel more positive than I did a few weeks ago. I guess I'm a little embarrassed at how long this recovery is taking. I know I shouldn't be but its hard when I feel judged - even by those who haven't a clue what this entails! I have an IT band strap thing and it definitely helps with tightness and stiffness. Let us know how you get on with it.

@ORpatella the taping is helping I think. I've not had as much soreness in the fat pad. Until today when everything hurts after a busy day yesterday!

@hawk2go absolutely! I stayed home tonight to rest and ice as yesterday was busy and has taken its toll. I'm out the next two nights after work so hope a little babying today will help.
 
@Raffs, hopefully 6 months from now we will all be talking about how great we feel. Wouldn't that be wonderful!
 
@Swish I live in hope!! Although my GP did say to me on Monday that the best I could hope for is 95% based on how I felt 5 years ago before the arthritis pain got bad. I guess we will see. We will have to keep posting on here to update each other with our progress.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom