PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

@Raffs did your GP mean you would only feel 95% pain free based on how your felt before? I guess that's pretty good, although I always reach for the 100. I will tell you based on the fact that your surgery was patellofemoral, that. according to my surgeon is the worse. That's where the bulk of my arthritis was and where the bulk of where it is in my left knee as well. Yeah, lucky me! But I will still hope and work towards 100% as you are.
 
@momweb she said 95% of how I used to feel before I started developing pain - which is probably 2 years ago or so. I think she meant 95% 'normal' rather than 95% pain free. She is a firm believer in keeping her patients as close to 100% pain free as possible. I will also be reaching for the 100 too!! That's interesting re what your surgeon said. I haven't heard that before. My left knee is the same - all patellofemoral. Lucky us indeed!!
 
@Raffs I think patellofemoral is more difficult because the pain is all in front. It affects the quads more, pulls more on inclines, so up and down stairs are affected more. It causes issues with tracking which is not an issue for those who don't have kneecap problems. It also, he said, causes more nerve issues in many people. Most of his patients with paellofemoral syndrome prior to knee replacements have a longer recovery.

I had arthritis in all 3 compartments of my right knee but the patella was the worse. He can already see from the x-rays that my left is the same. So, I can anticipate similar results, I assume. I'm still planning a late April surgery. I'm a little older than you, so I want to do the surgery while I'm still young enough to bounce back and enjoy a knee that's relatively pain free. At least this time I'll be prepared for a good 6 months or more of pain in one form or another. I'll also have people like you to get me through it all.

Well, we're having a snowstorm here in the eastern part of the United States. We're only getting a few inches but in New York where I'm hoping to go tomorrow they got up to 24 inches. Hopefully they'll get it cleaned up enough so my daughter and I get in and see the Broadway show Wicked. It was a Christmas gift and I'm so excited to see it. So, go away snow!!!
 
@momweb I didn't know any of that! That's so interesting - and makes a lot of sense. I only have arthritis in the one compartment - I think - so my other knee will probably be a patellofemoral PKR too. April will come around quickly! Of course we'll be here for you, cheering you on all the way. Who knows, perhaps your left will be easier? I hope so.

The snowstorm has been headline news over here - wow!!! That really was some storm. What happened re your trip to NYC?? I've seen Wicked in the West End in London - it's brilliant.

Will report back after PT on Tuedsay. I am cautiously saying that I have seen some improvement over the last week or so - but I've said that before......
 
Update for this week:

Knee felt sorer and stiffer again on Monday and Tuesday. Had PT on Tuesday evening, my last session with this particular PT as he is leaving the practice I go to. We worked on my VMO (inner quad) and glutes. He made me do lots of walking around so he could look at my gait. He said he thought the taping was helping so he re-taped it - I'm glad he did as I think it was loosening up and this could be why my knee was sorer again. This time he has used a much smaller piece of tape. It feels ok today, still tight and stiff but much less sore. So, the taping is probably having an effect on the impingement of the soft tissues around the fat pad. Whether the taping will allow them to heal enough so that they aren't being affected once the taping stops remains to be seen.

I asked him to measure my ROM as I haven't had this done for months - 133/0. My non-op knee is 130/0!

The numb area went crazy last night with zingers - that hasn't happened like that before. Perhaps now that area is not being impinged it is allowing the nerves to heal - any thoughts, anyone? Actually woke me up a few times too but haven't felt any today yet. It was really weird.

I'm booked in with a new PT for next Tuesday so that I can have it re-taped.

It will be 7 months on Saturday since my surgery. I still can't say I'm happy I had it done and still can't believe that recovery is taking this long but it is feeling a bit better than a couple of weeks ago for sure.

Hope everyone is having a good week.
 
Glad you're knee is feeling like its loosening up. Hopefully your new PT will be as good as this one, what a pity he's leaving. This recovery takes such a long time doesn't it? Blooming Roller Coaster. I will update my thread tomorrow after seeing my therapist.
 
@Raffs I am amazed and a little disappointed at how long my recovery is taking. I am bothered by muscle pains down my shins and the opposit leg to my op one. I think it is my gait, which is being affected badly by these aweful winds. On our steep road some days I can't go out. Tomorrow it is forecast as 46 - 48 h!! I am seeing a chiropractor in the morning, a suggestion of Josephine's so I will see what she can do. Are you walking well? I seem to wobble. Sorry your PT is leaving.
 
It will be 7 months on Saturday since my surgery. I still can't say I'm happy I had it done and still can't believe that recovery is taking this long but it is feeling a bit better than a couple of weeks ago for sure.

I am right there too. I keep telling myself that while I am not totally happy with the 7 month old knee, that it is better being able to walk without the limp (which tears up other joints). And I keep reminding myself that when you have chronic pain (even if not terrible), that there are days where just having any pain can be overwhelming because you just get so tired of it. I am also learning which activities aggravate my old knee. But overall, the new knee is better than how I was walking (or not) prior to surgery. I hope the same is true for you.

Hang in there. And I hope the taping helps make things heal up better, faster, stronger.
 
I am glad I did have my two TKRs, as I can now walk, although I have developed a list from side to side, rather like a small boat in a strong wind. The strong wind is true at the moment anyway, it is horrendous here, over40/45 mph what is it like with you Lynn? I can also dance which I was having great problems with before. I am still on paracetamol because I have burning pains below knee and just into top of shin, and stiffening of muscles in cold weather or after too much exercise. Since these are intermittent I think and hope that eventually they will just fade away. Standing is the main problem but I think common to all of us. Hope your problems resolve.
 
Dear people,
We do tell you that full recovery takes at least a year - and we mean it!

What you feel at 6 and 7 months after surgery is not what you are going to feel at 12 months. Your knees are on a long journey and they will continue to improve.
 
Hi @Raffs, I read your post and I understand how you feel. I'm hoping that when one year comes I will, and you will and @iamshrdlu and others who had surgery around the same time will be able to say, I'm glad I did it. The difference is amazing. Hang in there, hope your new PT is as good as your last. I'm glad the taping is helping.
 
Exciting piece of news: @CATSMUM and I are meeting up next Sunday!! I'm going to visit her at home on my way back from visiting friends in South Wales. I can't wait to meet her, my goodness we are going to talk and talk - our poor husbands!! Maybe we'll take a photo of us together and post it on here...or maybe not, lol!!

7 months ago today I was in the hospital waiting for my op. Wow. Thanks again you lovely and amazing people. I truly don't know where I'd be without your support.

@Majic yes, I am walking pretty well. My PT can see a slight difference in how I walk on my op leg but we're working on that. I am not as fast as I used to be but I am not obviously slow either and do overtake some people! Yes, we've had strong winds too although not as bad as you. Standing does seem to irritate it more than walking or moving around does.

@iamshrdlu absolutely agree. The pain can be very mild but I've been in some pain or discomfort every single day for so long and it does get me down, it's so debilitating. What you said really resonates with me. Before the surgery I had days when I needed to hang onto the furniture when moving around. That most certainly isn't the case now. Taping does seem to be helping. Wish I'd tried it ages ago!

@Celle thank you. The usual wise words of reason and patience from you, as always. I can feel a difference from 6 months to 7 months so what you say is proving to be true, of course!

@momweb wouldn't it be great for us who had surgery in June to get together at our one year anniversary??!! About time for that cruise, wouldn't you agree, lol!!? We could do the conga around the ship!! :rotfl:
 
Have a good time with @CATSMUM i shall be thinking of you both. I can't live too far from her as we are in Gloucesreshire, although I don't know wherebouts in Wiltshire she lives. It would be great to have a big get together when we have all recovered. Hope the weather improves for you.
 
@Raffs, I know what you mean about the pain every day. I realized that my gait was off and I think that was contributing to my pain. I've been really trying to focus on fixed that.

@Celle, thanks from me too. I'm almost 7 months, too; and needed that reminder than I am still not completely healed. I can always count on my friends here to help.
 
@Majic summer garden party at your place then???? Lol!! With LOTS of dancing of course.

@Swish love your photo. That's some serious snow! Me too - I try to think when I walk as much as possible to focus the mind on my gait. The tightness across the front of my knee is what distracts me from walking perfectly. My PT was correct when he pointed out that what I have now is a restrictive feeling rather the actual restriction - my flex is 133 so the knee bends very well, it just feels like it won't!
 
@Majic It would be good together when we're all fully recovered. I live about 30 minutes from Bath on the Salisbury side.
 
It would be hysterical to party with skype full on for those of unable to jump across the ocean! I know I could go for a good computer party!

Today, however, my knee is feeling like it did before I had the injections, not good. I found my Voltaren gel in hopes that may help in the meantime. I iced for awhile and took it easy. I was sick last week with a sinus infection so besides getting up for more kleenex my knee didn't get much exercise. I'm hoping this is just another one of those minor setbacks. I need that party today!!
 
@momweb Sorry to hear that your knee is bad again. Are you seeing your OS soon? I always need to party....

So...another day, another PT.....

Had the first session with my new PT last night (previous one left the practice).

What surprises me most is how different the three PTs I’ve seen since the surgery have treated me. They are all qualified and trained to rehab knee replacements yet they have all gone about it in totally different ways.

This new guy is very nice. He also works part-time at the hospital where I had my op so knows the PT I saw there and also knows my surgeon – and knows how stern and unforgiving he can be!

Had a chat about the issues/problems. Gave me a thorough examination.

Said the knee cap seems to be moving well and tracking ok.

Quads are very weak and this is what is causing most of my problems. If I can strengthen my quads then my knee cap will be lifted up and will not impinge on the soft tissues causing the pain, inflammation and soreness. This is the theory anyway. Got an exercise to do that involves a resistance band hooked around my foot and around the leg of a chair.

Calves are tight so need to stretch them. Hamstrings are good. ROM is good (which I knew anyway, of course).

He then really massaged my knee quite vigorously to break up some of the internal scar tissue. I questioned him on this because the other two PTs said that this doesn’t work! He insisted that it does. Either way, it felt good.

He then turned me into a pin cushion – acupuncture! Didn’t hurt a bit, he stuck a number of needles all around my knee and I lay there for a few mins. He said it can provide quite effective pain relief. I think it is supposed to be more effective after a couple more sessions. I’m pleased he tried this as I have read that it can be effective.

He has re-taped my knee but using a different method (and very unsexy bright blue tape). This will lift the knee cap a bit to allow the soft tissues to heal without being impinged. The taping is used like this until the quads are strong enough to hold the knee cap up themselves. Again, this is the theory anyway.

He said that he thinks I am doing ok, not great and certainly I am behind where many people are at 7 months out but as he has only just started to treat me he doesn’t know yet if any of my issues are cause for concern or if they can be rectified.

I am quite sore and tender and stiff today.

I will see him again next Tuesday.

I'm hopeful that he will be able to give me a more detailed assessment of my problems before I see the OS on February 23rd. Then I can go to that appointment well prepared.
 
Interesting report, l also don't think I'm doing as well as l should be at almost 8 months out, although l think a lot of my problems are caused by my IT Band.
Deep massage does leave you tender and sore, my Physio tells me to make sure I drink a lot of water after l have it done and also ice regularly.
 
Hi Raffs, a party would be good when we recover. I live on the edge of the Cotswolds between Cheltenham and Broadway. Lovely views and good for walking.
My muscles are the cause of my problems. The chiropractor I saw last week said my calves, and the muscles down the side of my legs - don't know their name, where like rocks, and she did lots of deep massage. In fact I have a bruise on one leg, but the muscle has been so much better since. @CATSMUM I was tender and sore afterwards, and the morning after, and she told me to drink lots of water when I got home. She also said that if I feel the muscles tightening in the evening to try a hot water bottle to see if they would relax. My PT told me this at my last appointment, but I hadn't tried it. I have now and can feel the tightness ease. I don't think my ROM is anything like as good as yours Raffs, but I don't know how to measure it now that I am not going to PT.
Both the Chiropractor and the PT are of the opinion that it is now too late to improve my ROM, but I takè the bonesmart view that it will improvè gradually.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom