Guest viewing is limited

PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

So weird how people react to a cane. There's a woman who walks her dog in the park where I walk mine--we met in the early days of my btkr recovery. The other day I (caneless now) saw her and said hi, and it was as if we had never met. She didn't remember me at all. It took 5 min of chatting for her to realize I was the lady with the cane from 2-3 weeks ago. So I guess all she really saw the first 6-10 times we met was my cane. Unreal!

Raffs, truly, the only thing to do with those gawkers is to make subtle insane faces at them, or just throw raspberries. :-) Water off a duck, babe!
 
My OS insisted on a walker the first 6 wks., but I quit using it at home by week 3 and only used it to go to PT. My knee PT gal insisted I needed to at least "carry" a cane when I went out for the the first 9 wks.--not necessarily because I needed it, but because it let others know that I might be unstable and therefore not to bump me etc. Usually it stayed in the cart I was pushing until I finished shopping. However, I went to a large crowded movie theater during a holiday at about wk. 7 and was very glad I had it with me. As to going up and down stairs, started going up pretty regularly at wk. 4, but at wk. 17 I still have to work at going down stairs normally; if you are like me you had quit doing that long before your surgery and thus lack muscle etc.--it will come. In fact I have heard that is the true test of a successful knee replacement recovery--when you find that you are going down stairs normally without THINKING about it!:loveshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My knee is different from most...going down is easier than going up (and still working on quad strength at 4.5 months out)!

I noticed when I first went back to work a number of people stared at my knee not my face when I was walking down the hall. As the day wore on they had more of a show as I began to limp. [emoji1]

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
It's so weird but everyone here (U.S.) says if you want your knee to be better you HAVE to do the PT. and then I see others who don't and do fine. It's so confusing......
@Raffs I am so glad you are doing better! I still have the extension issue. Also out side of knee still a little swollen. But I do get around good, slight limp, no cane, actually never had a cane went from walker to 2 crutches to 1 crutch to nothing. Standing in one place for along time is not easy, but I think that's because of my extension issue, legs are not the same length.
 
Three hours of shopping! I am impressed. And more impressed by the fact that your husband tries things on. My husband has not been clothes or shoes shopping since we married 33 years ago. I buy what he wants and he wears it uncomplainingly.

If you did all that, Brighton will be a breeze.
 
@Raffs I have pain in 2 places. When I walk somewhat "quickly" I'll get an intense stabbing pain to the left of the incision that will literally stop me in my tracks. The pull I feel behind my knee happens whenever I get up after sitting or just start to walk or after that stabbing pain. It can be pretty strong and make me stop or slow to an even slower crawl. I don't get the pull or pain as much if I use the cane, so I guess there's a lesson there. I haven't learned that one yet. I still walk a lot without it.

Yesterday, after driving home, a 3 1/2 car ride, I walked the dog. After the initial stiffness, I walked without any pain for a few minutes. Wow, it was wonderful! So, I picked up the pace a little! Dumb!!:holysheep:That strong pull behind my knee kicked in and stayed the rest of the walk! So, we finished our slow walk home.

I see this new PT on Friday. They'll either tell me it's all normal and get over it or if I'm lucky do something to help. We shall see. In the meantime, I'm going to help my daughter finish painting her spare room with green stripes. It really looks cool. It just needs to get done, so my husband can move a portable cedar closet that's sitting in front of her front door into that room. Busy weekend ahead. Have a good one!
 
Been for PT today. Knee was been pretty sore and tender again since my shopping trip on Saturday so I wanted to talk things through with him. We worked a bit on my gait, I actually walked quite well in front of him which was surprising and a little annoying! We discussed at length the swelling and soreness I am still getting in the "fat pad". He wants me to continue going about my daily activities and to keep doing some strengthening exercises (I didn't tell him I've only done them once since I last saw him!). He said that he is not at all concerned and that it will resolve in time but it is obviously causing me pain and issues. He doesn't really know what is causing it to be so sore but said it has somehow been sensitised, possibly by too much pressure being put through it due to muscle weakness, possibly by the patella tendon touching it or possibly by a number of other reasons. I do have quite chunky legs and knees so there is quite a lot going on especially once gravity plays a part too!!

So, I am now taped up using kinesiology tape. He wants me to try this for a few days to see if putting less pressure on the fat pad and less load through it helps with the pain and swelling. He said I can buy some tape and re-do it myself when it falls off in a few days if it is helping. We watched very carefully what he did. He has basically tried to raise the knee up a fraction by taping it upwards and has also moved the patella very slightly so that it is tracking more to the medial side and away from the fat pad. It is a very fetching turquoise colour, I look like an athlete!! I'll try to post a photo if I can.

He said he thinks taping is more effective than a compression sleeve as it can be targeted as needed. Of course, that is just his opinion as I know a number of BS members have had good results using sleeves.

Whether it works or not remains to be seen but as it has caused me such discomfort over the past few weeks it is definitely worth a go. I'm seeing my GP later today to update her and to discuss pain relief especially anti inflammatories.

I got the impression that he definitely thinks it is due to muscle weakness. He said that if the tape doesn't help then we can try some strengthening exercises that are not weight bearing so as to avoid irritating it further.

Other than that, he said all is looking good, didn't measure my ROM but he saw when he was taping my knee that my flex is pretty much the same as my other knee so is happy with that, as I am.

I felt like I was listened to today and although he wanted me to go in the gym he didn't push at all once I said I needed to discuss some issues with him.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Kssii Yes, I stopped doing down stairs normally when my knee gave up in January. It took me weeks and weeks after the arthroscopy in February to be able to do them again, and that was only after a cortisone shot. I am trying to train myself to do them again now but I think it will be several more weeks before I am comfortable.

@tigz I'll be seeing my work colleagues for the first time since January on Sunday. I'm kind of hoping they look at my knee as it may distract them from looking at my butt which has grown a little since I last saw them! One of the side effects of a very inactive 8 months.....

@tigwy11 Yes, it is very conflicting. I think I've decided that bending and stretches exercises are essential in the first few weeks but that most, if not all, of the strengthening ones can wait a while. I think it was @PolarBear60 who said on another thread that our quads get plenty of exercises just sitting down and standing up on a daily basis in the early weeks. I know I do need to work on my strength but, for now, I'm happy not to until the swelling improves. But everyone is different, of course, so what works best for one person may not work for another. Sorry I haven't been able to offer any advice re your extension issue but I know plenty of others have given you some tips. That is one thing that I've never had a problem with, was lucky enough to wake up from surgery with full extension, maybe because of the type of partial I had?

@Slainte Husband does tend to rely on me to choose his clothes but will try them on as sizes vary so much from store to store! I paid for my shopping trip yesterday though with increased soreness and swelling.....one day soon I will learn!

@momweb Do you mean to the left of the incision as you look down at your knee or on the left if someone else was looking at your knee? Hope your PT can help on Friday, will look forward to your update. Hope you enjoying the painting, good to do normal things isn't it?
 
[Bonesmart.org] Raffs' Recovery Thread<'
 
I think you can buy that type of tape on eBay. You'll have to let us know how it goes. My patella area is quite tender but that might be because of that might be because I wasn't walking properly for a couple of years and now also have a button on the back of the patella. Can't compare the pain as didn't have a patella with her my left knee.

You did well shopping for that long, well done, I was out for about 6 hours yesterday, that's the longest I've spent outside since May!
 
That kinesiology tape is new to me. Will be interested to know if it helps.
 
I had that tape when l hurt my shoulder, pulled the muscle up to relieve the pressure.
 
@CATSMUM They sell it in sports shops and on Amazon too. Want to try to get some in a less lurid colour! Did the tape help your shoulder? Were you on your feet for 6 hours??

@Slainte It's new to me too! I will keep you updated.
 
@Josephine My GP has prescribed me Gabapentin 300mg (1 capsule today, 2 capsules tomorrow, 3 capsules the day after or less if the pain is controlled) for the burning/sore pain I'm getting in my fat pad. I think when I read your thread you said that you had been prescribed this too? I believe it helped? How long did you take it for? Would you say that it's worth me giving this a try? Thanks.
 
It did help my shoulder, I bought some in navy blue!! I had gabapentine when l was in hospital and it really helped to settle my knee. How many did she prescribe?
 
@CATSMUM I'd like some in either skin coloured or black (so it won't be so noticeable when I wear opaque tights next week). I've got 100 pills. Max dose is 3 pills more day so I've got enough for a month at least. She did say I should let know how I'm getting on and if it works then she'll prescribe more. Can you remember how many you took in hospital?
 
Think I took two 300mg per day, mind you l was on 60mg codeine too. A friend of mine had them for a bad back and they helped an awful lot. If my knee hadn't settled l would have asked for some too, although some GPs don't like prescribing them as they can be addictive!
 
I'm on up to 3 x 300mg per day. Got to start on 1 and see if that helps. So far, not really! GP didn't say anything about them being addictive!!
 
Think they're probably only addictive if you take them for months on end as my brother in law did! Wouldn't worry about it. I see you've tagged Josephine so see what she says about their effectiveness.
 
@CATSMUM I've never taken so many meds in my life as these past 10 weeks! Spent a fortune on prescription drugs!! Thanks for the info.
 
Back
Top Bottom