PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

@Raffs, thanks for the awesome update. When you say you lack confidence when out and about, I wonder a couple of things.

1) Seems like it's largely because of hill-gate, no? You live in a hilly area, and that makes it SO hard to walk around; hills are still quite painful for the likes of me, and many others at our approximate phase of recovery--they are not impossible, but they really do hurt!

2) Are you concerned with how people are looking at you? Because the heck with them! I'm riding the NYC subway regularly now, and I'm insanely slow on the stairs--people are probably cursing me under their breath by the thousands! And I guess I sort of feel like: well, go around me. I've gotten over being a spectacle of slowness. If you (not you, dear Raffs, but some theoretical you on the subway stairs) can speed around me, then you have fewer troubles than I do, so if you are judging me, well, that is just stinky. If this sort of concern is what makes you lose confidence, I suggest you let it go. Have you heard the saying "water off a duck"?

3) Or maybe it's concern about your knee buckling, which I hear is temporary, though if that were happening to me it would definitely make an impression.

Anyhow, wishing you well, and so happy to hear that settling into working longish stretches is not bothering you. You're an inspiration, you are!
 
@Josephine I wonder if you can give me some advice, please? Almost all the swelling has gone apart from at the bottom of my knee. The worst area is the "fat patch". It is very tender, sore and can feel like it is burning. I spoke to my OS about it when I saw him 3 weeks ago and he said it is normal and will go. My PT said the same. I've been taking 400mg ibuprofen x 3 daily and, on my GP's advice, rubbing Algesal cream (diethylamine salicylate) into it x 3 daily. I am also taking 1000mg paracetamol 3 or 4 times a day. It did ease off for a few days but has returned over the last couple of days. Neither the OS or the PT seemed to think that the fat pad is being impinged. Ice helps a lot but the soreness returns once the effects of the ice have worn off. Is there anything you can suggest, please, that could help to reduce this swelling as it is really bothering me? Thank you.
 
@Raffs I still have a fat patch on the top left. They gave me a anti inflammatory pills and didn't help. Just made me feel weird. They say it goes away in time. I would think after 12 weeks it would be gone
 
Well, I think I definitely overdid it at the weekend. Knee has been very sore, swollen and tender these past few days. Probably worst than it has felt for a week or two. I kind of expected this but I am so down about it. Had a very difficult couple of days. Trying to stay positive but am so frustrated and miserable. Oh well. Lesson learnt. I think I'll still be ok to go to my work conference next week as my activity level there will be much less than last weekend.

@CATSMUM I am going to start using my cane outside from now on. My vanity has to take a back seat. I've been massaging my knee and it does make it feel better. Seeing my PT on Monday. OS wasn't concerned at all about any of my swelling or tight band issues.

@momweb I think I walk slower than a snail who has had a knee replacement!! Like you I've been avoiding doing certain exercises to avoid aggravating my knee further. Not sure if this is helping or hindering. Thank you for your thoughtful words, it does help to hear that although our issues are slightly different we are all dealing with our own setbacks and problems.

@sdgrandma yes, looking old is the reason I don't like using the cane! Pure vanity, of course. Enjoy the wedding when it comes around!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@jbrooklyn Yes, Hill-gate does play a large part in my lack of confidence. I felt much more comfortable when out shopping on Sunday - no hills. The hill hurts and coming down I feel very unstable and am scared I'll take a tumble. I am most definitely concerned what people think. I know I shouldn't be but I am. Your advice is spot onl. Water off a duck indeed. I need to woman up, do my thing and blow a raspberry in their faces. Do you do the subway stairs one at a time or normally? I can't go down normally yet. I'm not too worried about buckling, that feeling has pretty much gone over the last couple of weeks, guess my quad is a little stronger now. Thank you for your kind words, I feel less than inspirational today but appreciate you saying so. You're, the inspirational one, with your subway-travelling BTKRs!!
 
Hi, Raffs--I go "normally" but as slow as a turtle, with people streaming past me, few of them sympathetic! But raspberries for one and all. I figure if their worst problem is me being slow, then I have worse problems than they do, so it's on them to be more gracious or get a full platter of hand-picked raspberries, at least imaginary ones.

I'm so glad the buckling feeling is going away! Wonderful.

And, finally, just a quick plug for kindness to your lovely self. If you had a friend who'd just had ptkr and was getting on her/his own case because of limping, you'd be much more insistently sympathetic. You'll be dancing next summer--for now, hobble along with me and we will make each other laugh.
 
I think it was smart of you to step out of your comfort zone and see what your knee could take. I also try to walk without my cane in public, and not to limp. I am slooow, just as you are, but pretend I am just stately, rather than gimpy. One of my concerns is not to appear as a target for folks that might not have my best interests at heart. That might like to see what is in my purse, you know? That might hurt my feelings by putting some money INTO it when they see how little is there! :heehee: That said, a cane can be used for self-defense as well as stability. And taking a tumble is my big fear as well. Just things I think about.

So now you know your limitations for your Brighton trip. And they will lessen as you will recover a bit more. Can't wait to hear about it - living vicariously through you sophisticated Brits.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Raffs Don't worry about what others think. If they had it done they would be slow and walking as slow as you are. I agree with @Slainte ,the cane is great self defense! Poke a few slow people. Karma can be a funny thing. I don't wish this on anyone:doggie:
 
Feeling a lot more chipper today, thank you dear BS friends. You are a lifeline and a Godsend in these dark days of recovery. Thank you.

@jbrooklyn Wow! I'm so impressed that you can do stairs normally. My stairs at home are narrow and steep which doesn't help. If I had a handrail both sides I could probably go down. Going up is getting easier each day although I do hang onto the rail! Wouldn't it be fun to carry a carton of raspberries with us and throw them at people who make us feel slow/an inconvenience!! OK, might get arrested but hey? Are you still using a cane outdoors? Is one of your BTKRs better behaved than the other? I'm afraid that I am my own worst critic and, therefore, my own worst enemy. I know EXACTLY what I'd be saying if a friend or relative was in my shoes and it differs greatly from what I say to myself. Point well made, and taken, thank you.

@Slainte Yep, I just wanted to take my knee for a test drive, turns out it's not quite the right model for me just yet, lol! Loving the though of being stately, will attempt regal thoughts next time I'm out and about. I feel exactly the same re not being a target, it is something I've worried about all along. I don't live in a bad area for street crime but you never know who might think it would be a good idea to take advantage of the limping lady. I have decided today that the cane needs to come out with me and I need to concentrate on getting better, not looking better. And thwacking people who come too close, of course, lol! Sophisticated?? If only you could see me today - sweatpants, sweat zippy top, no make up and unspeakable hair! I am also breaking in my new shoes by wearing them around the house with a fetching pair of white socks! Work shoes and sweat pants and white socks = not a good look. However, I will attempt to post a pic or two from my Conference which shows me looking a little more groomed and professional (professional as in smart and business-like, not professional as in lady of the night!).

@Pescara Quite right. No more worrying about what others think.
 
Something quite interesting happened this evening. Well, interesting for those recovering from knee surgery that is!

I last saw my PT about 10 days ago. He told me to keep doing my exercises (sit/stands, wall slides, lunges and step ups) but to do them 3-4 times a week instead of daily as they were irritating my swollen fat pad. I haven't done them at all. I've been walking around the house, going out and about, going upstairs normally, downstairs like a toddler, shopping, swimming etc. Enough without any PT, I thought.

Anyway, I'm seeing him on Monday and thought I'd better do one set of exercises to see how bad I was and prepare myself to get told off. Imagine my surprise when all of the exercises were much easier than the last time I did them which was at least 2 weeks ago! My knee obviously has improved and my muscles must be stronger. All by doing not much at all other than daily living. Well, whaddaya know?? Proof that our bodies are pretty good at healing themselves.

Fellow slackers, rejoice!
 
@Raffs funny you should say that. On Sept 11th I have an appointment with out-patient PT for the first visit since home PT. It will be 3 weeks since I've had any PT. I said either I'll be fully healed and they'll wonder why I'm either there, or I'll be so bad I'll be scolded for waiting for so long. I think it will be closer to the first one. My swelling is close to gone, my ROM is excellent. The only real problem I have is pain when I walk and swelling and pain at night. Now, both those problems are biggies for me. I also have no strength. Hopefully all of that can easily be addressed. But, I've done literally nothing since I stopped PT and for the weeks I had PT after I popped the stitch was just gentle stretching. So, I agree, we do heal with or without others interfering. Yahoo for us!!
 
@Raffs....I was in a store today with my cane. I totally forgot I was holding the cane and almost whacked this very sweet, young girl. She and her mother were so lovely to me when I apologized. Then I was in the checkout line with the mom and daughter behind me. A women with a walker was in the line and then turned around to leave which was tough in the very narrow space. I mentioned to the young girl's mother that we people with our canes and walkers were very dangerous. Again, they were so sweet to me and said it was no problem at all. So refreshing when people are genuinely nice.
 
Unfortunately I didn't have my cane with me when I almost got run down by a car in a parking lot I was walking through. No matter where I moved, the car backed into me, missing my legs by about a foot. My friend was in her car watching me try to maneuver past the car without getting hit. I had left my cane at home or else I would've wacked the car with it. The two men never realized I was behind them.
 
I am at wk 17 and am going to a manual PT for my shoulder; while I was there this last time, he checked out my knee (haven't been to formal PT for the knee since week 9, ) and he said everything as far as ROM etc. looked good, but that there was still some swelling at the back of knee and lack of muscle strength. DUH!!:nah: Anyway, he said I could do leg raises all day long but that the real strength would actually come with me simply doing what I needed to do around our farm--so long as I didn't overdo.:yahoo:
 
I'm so pleased that you ladies have found out for yourselves that you don't have to work hard at PT for your knees to heal and ROM to improve. :yes!::yay:
 
The worst area is the "fat patch".
I'm not sure what you mean by "the fat patch"! Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?

Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Raffs' Recovery Thread<'


[Bonesmart.org] Raffs' Recovery Thread<'


I last saw my PT about 10 days ago. He told me to keep doing my exercises (sit/stands, wall slides, lunges and step ups) but to do them 3-4 times a week instead of daily as they were irritating my swollen fat pad. I haven't done them at all. I've been walking around the house, going out and about, going upstairs normally, downstairs like a toddler, shopping, swimming etc. Enough without any PT, I thought.
I totally agree with you and I recommend you read my recovery threads to see how little exercising I did!
First knee. Knee recovery - UK style
Second knee. Josephine's 2nd knee story - short version where I did even less!
I am at wk 17 and am going to a ... PT ... while I was there, he checked out my knee and he said .... said I could do leg raises all day long but that the real strength would actually come with me simply doing what I needed to do around our farm -- so long as I didn't overdo
So what have I been saying all along? Read my recoveries to see what I did (or rather didn't) do!
 
@Josephine Thank you. It's DRF1. The OS called it the fat patch. I think it's the area that gets impinged with Hoffa's Syndrome (which he didn't seem to think was the issue).
 
No, neither do I. That's a very uncommon occurrence.
 
@momweb I also have discomfort (tight band pulling) when I walk which is a biggie for me, too. Is your pain similar? I'll be interested to hear how your PT on Sept 11 goes.

@Swish I was in a store today with my cane and when I went to try some clothes on the assistant very politely and discreetly asked me if I needed a bigger changing cubicle. I declined but it was nice the way she acknowledged my obvious mobility issues but didn't make it a big thing.

@KarriB That must have been SO scary! Eeek.

@Kssii sounds like you've got a sensible PT there. When I see mine on Monday I'm going to ask him just to work on my gait with me and to forget about all the strengthening exercises for now. It's taken me a while to realise that they're just not needed at this stage. Of course, heel slides and gentle stretches were very worthwhile in the early weeks - I left hospital with 75 flex but got to about 120 at week 6 just by doing very gentle heel slides.
 
Been out on another shopping trip today. I used my cane and I think it definitely helped although by the end of the trip the tight band was feeling pretty bad! I was at the shops for about 3 hours, mainly on my feet apart from a short coffee break and some time spent sitting outside the fitting rooms waiting for what felt like an eternity for hubby to try some things on, lol! I noticed that I did get looked at by quite a few people which I didn't like very much but as @jbrooklyn would say, water off a duck's. Now going to rest, ice and elevate until I haul my weary bones up to bed later.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom