PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

@Raffs Keep your eyes on the prize. This time next year you'll be hiking those 8-10 miles with NO problems AND you'll be dancing in the streets!! Soon that day will come when you're out and about doing things and don't even give a thought to your knee. You're doing so well and accomplishing more and more every day. Have a wonderful weekend!!
 
Glad the cream is working for you. Between the dancing in your living room and walking in the stores, you are going to soar!
 
@Raffs I greatly sympathise with your desire to walk and dance again. I too used to walk 8-10 miles, and my husband and I are keen ballroom and Latin American dancers. I got back to walking 3+miles and dancing again after LTKR, before other knee made it impossible. But like you I get totally despondent and could weep buckets, doubting that I will ever do it all again with two new knees. It all seems such an impossible distance in the future, especially considering my age, I wonder if I can ever get fit again.
 
According to my physical therapist, we're all in luck. Sooner or later we will be dancing, in the streets, on the hills, in the dales, even in discos and ballrooms. Just no Irish step-dancing, Scottish country dancing, certain types of folk dancing, Jitterbug, or Swing.
 
@SarahJane we're re-watching the last season of DW in readiness for the season premiere on September 19th. On second viewing, some are much better than others but Mr Capaldi gets better and better. Are you saying that I won't be able to dance it up Lord of the Dance style?? Oh, the disappointment!!

@Braunzie thanks for the belated wishes. It's easy to fall behind on threads when real life gets in the way again. It's good and sad at the same time, I think. I've been keeping an eye on you and your Costco adventures!
 
@bdink21 thanks for your positive words and dancing vibes!

@Slainte I'm afraid that dancing in the living room is becoming part of my daily routine.....! It's not pretty but it makes me feel good!

@Majic I'm sure you will get there, back to hiking and dancing and doing anything else you want to do. Come Christmas you'll be dancing with the best of them.
 
@Raffs, don't be disappointed. I bet Captain Jack Harkness would be happy to give you a spin around the dance floor. Maybe even your husband, too.

I am delighted with Capaldi. I felt Moffat did Jenna Colman a disservice by setting up her first half-season with Matt Smith as a mystery to be solved. It really didn't do it for me. I'm glad that she's had an opportunity to be more than be a puzzle to be solved.
 
9 weeks today. Apologies if this is a rather long update, I have quite a bit to report.

I decided to give my knee a push over the last few days to see what it could do and how it would react. I need to know before I commit 100% to going to the work conference in 12 days time that my knee would be ok.

Friday - I worked about 5 hours from home. I didn't ice or elevate whilst working, had my foot on my footrest under the table. I did ice and elevate in the afternoon and evening. Knee was fine, I get very little discomfort now when sitting even for quite prolonged periods. Walked up and down my living room for about 25 mins.

Saturday - did my first proper grocery store shop. I pushed the trolley/cart for most of the time, wandered off occasionally to get things. Also did an hour or so of housework. Did 10 mins on the exercise bike. Iced and elevated in the afternoon. 1 hour 15 min car journey for a meal out in the evening with the in-laws, sat in the pub for about 2 hours 30 mins. 1 hour 15 min journey home. Iced for some of the time there and back. Knee seemed ok.

Sunday - went on a clothes and shoe shopping outing. Was probably out for around 3 hours, about 2 of which were on my feet. Knee was ok, I held my hubby's arm for some of the longer bits of walking but otherwise pottered around the shops fine. Spent quite a bit of £££! Spent most of the rest of the day resting up and icing a few times. Knee felt ok when I went to bed.

Monday - it was a public holiday here yesterday. Went swimming at 8am. Didn't do much actual swimming, tried to walk up and down in the water, did some water cycling, some squats and lunges. Swam a couple of lengths, had a sauna and steam afterwards. Knee was behaving badly from the moment I got up - two very tight bands - one across the front of the knee and - aargh- the return of the one underneath the knee. Came home from swimming, showered, pottered around doing a few chores, did a bit of icing. Went to the cinema in the afternoon, so 20 min journey there, same back and 2 hours sitting watching the movie. Knee was sore but not too bad. Iced and elevated the rest of the evening.

Today - working around 5 hours today. Not going to ice whilst working. Still got a tight band across the front, not so bad underneath today. Got to tackle Horrid Hill later as I'm going to get my nails and feet done. So will have to wear Fit Flops to avoid smudging my toes! I'm going to wear my knee support as I think this will help. I'll report back on this later.

So, did I join the ODIC? Yes, probably. The return of the tight bands and an increase in swelling would indicate that I did too much. Knee was a bit more painful than usual yesterday morning after the shopping trip on Sunday and yesterday evening after the cinema. I won't need to do anything like as much activity during my conference so I think I'll be ok. It'll mainly be walking (5 mins) from the hotel to the conference venue, working in a small office on an exhibition stand (I'll be able to elevate my leg on boxes under the table if needed), walking around the venue from time to time delivering messages and then going out for dinner in the evening with colleagues. I think I'll be fine.

I do, however, have some concerns and would welcome your comments/advice, please:

Confidence - I am definitely lacking in confidence when I go outside, partly because I am SO slow when walking and partly because I am nervous if the place is crowded/busy. I try to speed up which makes me limp more and actually slows me down. I think I tense up when I'm outside which makes my walking worse and, of course, affects my confidence too. Any suggestions?

Limping - is it normal to still have a pretty bad limp at 9 weeks? I think I limp because of the tight bands and the patch of swelling at the bottom of my knee on the outside. I try when I'm at home to correct my gait but I am really struggling.

Sore/tender patch - there is a sore/tender patch about halfway down on the outside of my knee - when I put my finger on it I can feel movement so I guess it must be a moving part of the knee. Anybody else had this?

Tight bands - is it normal for these to feel more pronounced after an increase in activity? The one underneath seems to be related to a knobbly piece of scar tissue right at the bottom of my incision. Should I be concerned about this?

Thank you for reading this very long post!
 
@Raffs Wow, you did have a very busy weekend. Your knee behaved impeccably for your shopping day sit would appear. Looks like you really enjoyed spending money on clothes and shoes :heehee:. Now to your questions:

I, too, lack confidence when l go out which is why l take a walking stick (my lightweight one). It just lets people know that I am not as mobile as they are and am also slower, although when we were in London at the weekend, l think the pedestrians didn't notice until the last moment! Walk at your own pace and make sure that you spend as much time on one foot as the other, also ensure your stride is the same distance on both legs - my Physio is always telling me that I try and get off my operated leg foot faster than l should and that my stride was different depending on which leg l was leading with.

The tight band will cause you to limp and yes, it is normal for them to feel more pronounced after exercise although you should be icing and resting etc after you finish, which might help the swelling to subside. Try massaging the band to loosen it . Are you due any further Physio appointments? Did you mention the scar tissue to your surgeon when you had your follow up?

Not sure about the tender bit at the side of the knee - could be scar tissue.

Hopefully one of the advisors might be able to give more definitive answers. How about tagging Josephine with your questions too?
 
@Raffs I too lack confidence outside, especially in crowds or on uneven surfaces. At 5weeks I take 2 sticks, and did for a long time with my other knee. It might help with your limp too. I think you will be unsteady while you limp, so go back to two sticks. Once you don't limp with two, then go down to one.
I find that people are very kind and understanding if you have two sticks. Like @CATSMUM says walk at your own pace, don't be rushed. I know shopping is difficult with two, so take a rucksack or similar. Not sure about the other questions, my problem is a partially numb leg, which no one else seems to suffer from. You certainly attempted a lot on one day.
 
@Majic , I do not have the numbness down my leg but wanted to mention that my Mother had a knee replacement done back in January 2015 and her primary complaint has been numbness down her leg all the way to her ankle. She says it makes her limp and bothers her; her OS says feeling may return but, then again, it may not. She did mention that lately she has felt more tingling in that area so is hoping that's a good sign.

@Raffs , you are doing great! Well done. And I would not rush doing away with the cane until you know you are ready.

Roxie
 
@Raffs - that was an awesome update!! You are doing GREAT! I completely understand the lack of confidence while walking without assistance.. trying to deal with that just around the house, as I'm trailing behind you by a couple weeks. Rather than giving advice, I'll listen to others who are further along.. and look and listen to what they have to say.. again, you are doing GREAT!! Very encouraging to hear!! :yay:
 
Sounds like you may ready for work! Oh no! But seriously, you put that knee through w work out and it did great!
 
Ask for a new PT. It isn't supposed to hurt or be rough. Glad to hear all went well. Your knee will move when it's ready..I love having a catheter. No nightly trips to the bathroom so I can drink all I want. They have changed mine a couple of times but it doesn't hurt just feels strange and I am very modest so they are carefully taking it in and out. They keep me covered at all times. You will feel better once you are home. Please be careful! Thinking of you. :dogwalk:
 
@Raffs . The pool sounds like heaven. Wish they had one here. Hopefully you will be able to go home soon. Being home will make you feel a lot better since you are comfortable with it. Please be careful. Just remember a setback is just a little setback. I know this from experience lol. :dogwalk:
 
@Pescara Raffs isn't in hospital and is currently doing home working. Did you post on the correct thread?
 
@Raffs Wow, what a busy weekend. I'm just one week ahead of you and despite my setback, I'm close to where you are. I still limp if I walk faster than the slowest snail. I'll get a sharp pain on the left side of my incision which then makes the back of my knee hurts which slows me down even more. When I go out and I know I'm going to walk more than a short distance, I take my cane with me. It helps my gait, it helps my confidence and I tend to walk better.

Like you, I lack confidence. I'm afraid to do certain exercises for fear of hurting myself again. So, I know I've been holding myself back. We were in the lake today and I was so afraid I would lose my balance. Things just make me nervous. I'm hoping that the new PT in early September will help me get over some of that.

I also have a sore spot, though in a different area than yours. From what I understand it's all part of the internal healing and will take awhile. Frustrating, I know. But you are not alone. I'm right there with you. I still swell especially at night. I've been taking pictures of my knee once a week. And I've not seen any real major change in the past 3 weeks. Not sure if that's a bad thing. The scar looks great, and I don't have a whole lot of swelling, but what I do have, just won't go away.

Time, my friend, time. They say it all takes time. I guess so. Hang in there.
 
@Raffs -- I am 10 weeks out and still use a cane whenever I am outside the house. My husband said it makes me look old, but I need the security right now. I do try to maintain an even stride and walk heel to toe. By the end of the day I will find myself limping, probably because the knee is tiring. I tried shopping for a dress for a wedding in early October. The invite said cocktail attire and I don't own anything like that and have never needed such a dress. I lasted 15 minutes and the thought of carrying dresses into a dressing room, getting undressed, and then redressed sent me scurrying for the door. I ended up calling the mother of the bride and asking if I could wear the long, full dress I had for my son's wedding and she said to wear whatever makes me most comfortable. Love her!!

@Majic -- I still have numbness across the top of my toes and under the arch of my TKR leg. If the knee swells more than normal, the leg goes numb in the ankle and calf --but the numbness doesn't seem to affect my ability to use the leg. The OS says it isn't related to the surgery and could be due to the nerve block. The place on my thigh where the needle was inserted feels like it was fried--raised and rough. In the morning when the knee is more normal sized the numbness is much less. I keep hoping it will be temporary.
 
.



So, did I join the ODIC? Yes, probably. The return of the tight bands and an increase in swelling would indicate that I did too much. Knee was a bit more painful than usual yesterday morning after the shopping trip on Sunday and yesterday evening after the cinema. I won't need to do anything like as much activity during my conference so I think I'll be ok. It'll mainly be walking (5 mins) from the hotel to the conference venue, working in a small office on an exhibition stand (I'll be able to elevate my leg on boxes under the table if needed), walking around the venue from time to time delivering messages and then going out for dinner in the evening with colleagues. I think I'll be fine.

I think you will be fine too. Look at all the walking you have done above !

I do, however, have some concerns and would welcome your comments/advice, please:

Confidence - I am definitely lacking in confidence when I go outside, partly because I am SO slow when walking and partly because I am nervous if the place is crowded/busy. I try to speed up which makes me limp more and actually slows me down. I think I tense up when I'm outside which makes my walking worse and, of course, affects my confidence too. Any suggestions?

I walk slow too, have had people comment but really just do what you can and if it's gonna be crowded m Abu a cane would help.

Limping - is it normal to still have a pretty bad limp at 9 weeks? I think I limp because of the tight bands and the patch of swelling at the bottom of my knee on the outside. I try when I'm at home to correct my gait but I am really struggling.

I limp as I. Get tired. The leg gets tired after so much exercise.

Sore/tender patch - there is a sore/tender patch about halfway down on the outside of my knee - when I put my finger on it I can feel movement so I guess it must be a moving part of the knee. Anybody else had this?

I have it on the side too and it's also numb. I use some doterra oil on it and that helps.
Tight bands - is it normal for these to feel more pronounced after an increase in activity? The one underneath seems to be related to a knobbly piece of scar tissue right at the bottom of my incision. Should I be concerned about this?

I still have that over the top of my knee and down the outside. Must still be scar tissue there. I guess time will take care of that. And PT,walking!

Thank you for reading this very long post!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom