PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

@CATSMUM I may see about getting some naproxen instead of the ibuprofen. No, I'm not taking meds regularly now, just when I think I need them and mainly just paracetamol with the occasional 8mg of codeine. Perhaps I should rethink? Are you limping? What's your flex?

I live in Southgate in north London. Pretty much the top of the Piccadilly Line, near junction 24 of the M25. You're an Essex girl - yeah!!!! I'm from Stevenage, Herts originally.
 
I always had and still have the mickey taken out of me when l tell people that I'm an Essex Girl, lol.
I am still limping, not as much as l was but knee is still tight. Flex is about 110-115 on a good day. You may need to take your paracetamol regularly to ensure that you are comfortable. Naproxen is a much better anti-inflammatory than ibuprofen.
 
I was still taking 1-2 5mg of oxycodone during the day at week 12. I'd get home from teaching I the morning, my knee would be stiff, swollen and I was tired. So it was then that I took an oxy, it helped relieve the pain and me to relax and rest as I iced. And I was still using my cane at week 12 because of the limp.
 
I envy you being able to sleep on your operated side. I can last about 30 seconds in that position before the little man in my knee says "you crazy woman! Get off of me!"
I also think it is neat that you can walk to your dentist. I live in the wilds of Orlando suburbia, and although there is a 24 hour convenience store about a mile and a half away, it does not call to me. I do have good sidewalks and some nice parks, and no hills to speak of, so not all bad. But just somehow I think I would feel much more elegant walking in London. Sigh.
 
@Slainte you would be much cooler walking in London. The only walking I do when visiting Florida is to a pool or in and out of buildings. Don't know how you all do that heat and humidity in the summers.
 
So glad to hear that your life is pretty much returning to normal. I think as you get stronger you will be able to conquer those hills. The PT told me that fat patch could be due to when the flap your muscle back over, sometimes the overlap it and a bit of that may be pooching out? Know what I mean?
 
@CATSMUM have taken your advice and medicating regularly again today. I've written to my doctor to see if she'll prescribe a stronger anti inflammatory like naproxen.

@KarriB I'm going to keep taking my stronger meds as I need them. No point trying to be a hero. And will use my cane if I need to as well. It has been horribly cool and rainy here this week. It's really living up to a typical British summer!

@Slainte I've only been able to sleep on my side the past couple of nights, at 8 weeks out. I can walk (darn hills permitting) to my dentist and beauty salon. There are also a number of shops, coffee shops, bank etc. It isn't pretty here but it is practical, that's surburban London I guess. I can assure you that me limping up and down the hills is not so elegant. Come over when you're healed and we'll stroll down Bond Street in Mayfair looking extremely elegant as we window shop in the designer stores!

@tigwy11 for sure, part of my hill issue is definitely quad strength. And confidence. Huh? Pooching out? What does that mean?? Should I be worried, lol??!
 
Update for today. Knee was very sore last night for a few hours after "Hillgate". I iced and elevated all evening whilst watching couple of episodes of Doctor Who. It felt a little better by the time I went to bed. Took meds. Slept well, only woke once for a bathroom visit. I think I slept partly on my side but don't honestly remember which I guess is a good thing?

Knee felt pretty ok this morning, still a bit swollen of course and with a lovely tight band but I was expecting worse. Hubby working from home today so I took my first trip to the grocery store with him since the surgery. I pushed the cart and kind of used it as a frame for some support. We didn't do a full shop so were probably only there about 30 mins. Knee was ok. Still limping of course and pretty slow but it was 100 times better than my outing yesterday. I even bought a nice dress which was not on the shopping list, lol!

Have done my 3.5 hours work. I don't elevate when sitting working, just strap an ice pack on and use my foot rest. Knee is fine doing that. Made a cake (low fat/sugar carrot cake, if you're interested, taking it to slimming club later) and am now lazing around.

Might go and do a few heel slides, might not. Trying to beat @Slainte and @jbrooklyn this week to the Lazy Recoverer award!! :loll:
 
Glad you took my advice and upped your pain medication. I'm yet to make my first cake but l have bought some baking margarine so will attempt to cook a sponge next week! Good luck at slimming club.
 
@Slainte Come over when you're healed and we'll stroll down Bond Street in Mayfair looking extremely elegant as we window shop in the designer stores!

Sounds wonderful! London is one of my favorite places. I have cousins in Champion Hill, and spent a lot of time there in the 20th century. Hope to get back soon.
 
Not much to say today. Knee felt sore last night again but a bit of icing helped and it was ok during the night. I worked without icing it this morning to see how it was. I iced during a break and then when I'd finished. It seemed ok. I've done 5 mins on the bike, few heel slides, few clamshells and about 20-25 mins walking up and down my living room whilst singing along to some Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift and the Nashville soundtrack! I even attempted a couple of dance moves. You'll be pleased to hear I was alone whilst doing this! Spoke to my doctor this morning. She doesn't want to give me a stronger anti inflammatory pill yet. Instead I've got some anti inflammatory cream to put on the swollen area. I've only used it once so far so can't say if it is helping or not. Icing and elevating now then time to cook dinner as hubby will be home late again.
 
Now you dancing and singing would have been fun to see! Such a pity the GP wouldn't give you stronger anti-inflammatory tablets. Are you using voltarol cream? Always find that quite good.
 
@CATSMUM ha, it wasn't pretty!! The cream is called Algesal, it's on prescription . She said its like an ibuprofen cream.
 
@Raffs how I sympathise about your hills. Where I live every direction is either up or down. Last time I always used 2sticks outside for at least 3months, and longer in winter when it was very windy. As time passed I got down to one and then eventually none.
 
I'm not a doctor (just a former companion -- lol), but it puzzles me that your doctor didn't want you to take a stronger anti-inflammatory. My friend the prof says that a dose of naproxen, which you take every 8-12 hours, lasts longer than a dose of ibuprofen, and that it wears off more gradually. Apparently, when ibuprofen wears off, it wears off suddenly. But I don't know all the medications you're taking, whether you have an ulcer, and whether you are on a steroid, blood thinner, other NSAIDs, etc., all contraindications.

Hope your recovery continues, and you're soon able to get in some real dancing. Life shouldn't be all work and dental appointments, after all. When I was younger I really wanted to live in hilly San Francisco, but as the years have gone on and my knee has gotten worse I'm SO glad I live somewhere flat. I do hope to get back to hiking, though, in a year's time.
 
@Majic I've decided to avoid the hills for the time being and do my walking elsewhere. For example, I'll go to the grocery store tomorrow which isn't hilly (!) and still gets me some walking and I can use the trolley/cart as a support if I need to.

@SarahJane Assume you're a Doctor Who fan then?? My doctor is great but she likes to start her patients off on the lowest possible medication before moving up to something stronger. When I took ibuprofen after the arthroscopy in February and after this surgery I did have some issues with heartburn/acid even though I was taking an proton pump inhibitor (Lansaprazole). I think she just wants to be careful because of these issues. I've been taking the ibuprofen for just over a week now with no issues and adding in the cream also doesn't seem to have aggravated my stomach. The cream does seem to be having an affect, which I am surprised about as I didn't think it would. The sore patch seems less sore so I think the cream combined with ibuprofen and paracetamol/Tylenol is helping. I'm going to give it another week and then think about contacting her again if I haven't seen much more of an improvement. The NHS over here is pretty cautious about prescribing anti inflammatories because of all the side effects. I also hope that dancing in public is on the cards for me soon. I can't believe that this time last year I was able to walk/hike for 8-10 miles without too many problems, looking forward to getting back to that soon. Looking forward to getting back to many things that I've not been able to do, to be honest!
 
Glad your meds and the cream seem to be working. I'm in favor of not overmedicating, so I agree with NHS's general philosophy. I am glad the cream -- something I've never heard of -- is working out OK. Unlike a Time Lord and his/her two hearts, we only have one liver! And yes, I'm a fan.
 
@Raffs - Just got caught up on your thread.. Again, I don't know how I fell so far behind.. I even missed your birthday.. :sad: Happy Belated Birthday!!

Sounds like you're getting into the swing of things with managing your work. I'm anxious to hear what happens with your office situation. I can completely understand how things can build up and result in a bit of a crying stint. I liken myself to Mt. St. Helens (the volcano) .. Pressure builds, then there's an explosion and things feel better and I can move on.. hahaha...:heehee:

Remember, over all, you are doing GREAT!! Hills are tough on knees, even when they haven't been replaced.. And remember, this is a marathon.. (I WISH it were a sprint!!! :loll:) We're all here for you!! (Even if we fall behind on your thread.. :shrug: )

Hope you have a great weekend!! :yes:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom