PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

Today has been much better. I've taken it very easy and gone back to basics again - rest, ice, elevate, short walks and exercises broken down into smaller sessions.

Knee is still stiff but has lost that horrid hot and burning feeling. Been able to lie and sit comfortably.

And felt good enough to help hubby make a lemon drizzle cake to give to my parents who are visiting me tomorrow (repeat after me - I will not eat the cake, I will not eat the cake....)

@CATSMUM have taken your advice and had a very quiet day!

@momweb I had started not using my crutch around my bedroom and bathroom - partly out of laziness and partly to see if I could do without it. I have taken your advice and have been using it everywhere (apart from in the shower!) today. Definitely worth a shot - thank you!

@Lovestoread that is exactly what has happened - things were going to well then suddenly I had a bad day and it kind of threw me. Feeling happier tonight.

@Jamie thanks and no need to apologise. I was given the recovery articles on my pre-op thread, thanks. I have read them many times and have been trying to follow them to the letter but I'm an impatient so-and-so - am pretty sure I have been overdoing it a bit just to see if I couldn't move things along a bit quicker. Obviously not!! I'm making a conscious effort when I do my little walks around the house to walk with an even stride. I'm not going to push the rest of this week, just keep things moving and work on reducing the swelling. Thanks again.
 
@Raffs Glad that you had a better day yesterday, long may it continue. I haven't yet attempted to help make a cake ( lemon drizzle is one of my favourites), got my boss visiting on Friday do may need to get hubby to assist me in baking something! Glad you took my advice and had a quiet day. Just don't start doing things too quickly!!!

Have a good day today and enjoy your cake. :yahoo:
 
As much as we were forwarned about the roller coaster ride called recovery, nothing can prepare us for the reality of it all. When we reach milestones and even surpass them, the emotional and physical high is great. And when the setbacks occur we ride that roller coaster top speed going reverse!!!!
We have to stay strong though, and not let these hurdles, as overwhelming as they are, throw us off course completely.
Hang in there!
 
@CATSMUM that's nice of your boss - mine hasn't even texted me since I came out of hospital!! Parents can look after me today whilst I take it easy again.

@simryg when I think about everything you've gone through I feel guilty about moaning about a stiff and tight knee! Every time I can do something new, however small, I call my hubby to come and see!! And these are things that before surgery I wouldn't have even thought about. I think impatience is setting in and I want to be further forward so I push a bit too hard and then pay for it. I need to learn from this....! How are you?
 
We have an official 'keep in touch scheme 'whereby a nominated member of staff keeps you updated etc in everything that's happening. As my hubby works at the same place as me, he's been keeping them updated on my progress. Also email my boss periodically to keep in touch too.
 
Man my boss texted me a lot and called. But he is pretty awesome. I am lucky!
 
Firstly,
When in person is in pain, it is no consolation to them that there are pple suffering more. Everyone can find someone worse off than them. It does not lessen their pain that they are experiencing at the moment. It might change our perception, but pain is pain.... It lets itself be heard loud n clear!
 
Had a pretty good day yesterday. My parents were here for a few hours. Sat downstairs with them all day on the sofa, icing and elevating. Went out for a 10 min walk with my Dad which was fine but the knee had definitely had enough after 10 mins. I'm walking the route that I'll need to walk in order to get to the salon, dentist, shops and tube station - it's a horrid route that is hilly, busy and has uneven pavements. But I need to master it in order to get my independence back eventually.

Knee seems to be stalled a bit in terms of progress. It is still as swollen as it was a week ago and I can't seen much progress in my ROM. I'm trying to walk as best I can with the tight band restricting it. I'm not worried though as I know that there will be days when it feels like no progress is being made.

Spoke to my GP about reducing pain meds again as I didn't do very well when I tried to reduce over the weekend. I now have a sensible plan in place which I'm going to try from now on. It's a very slow reduction so hopefully it won't cause me any problems.

Quiet day planned and then being brave and facing the scales at slimming club tonight. Haven't been since 24 June. I lost a few lbs after surgery but am pretty sure that I'm not going to be happy tonight but I need to know so I can get back on track. I've lost 42lbs so for with about another 28lbs to go.
 
@Raffs Sounds like you had a good day yesterday with your mum and dad. Well done on getting out for a walk, just don't do too much at the moment. You're only 3 weeks or so out, l think l felt as if my progress had stalled at that stage but was pleasantly surprised when my Physio said l was doing well. I still have that tight band feeling and my Physio massaged it, do try doing that. You think your progress has stalled but day by day you're slowly improving, don't worry about ROM , that will come in due course.

Glad you got your meds sorted, you'll need to take them regularly for some weeks yet. I'm cutting back by stretching the time between doses.

Good luck with slimming club, sounds as if you've done very well. That's a lot of weight to loose. Once your knee is healed you'll be able to get back to normal activity and probably loose pounds.

Have a good day.x
 
Good for you! A walk and knee meds sorted out. Good luck at your weight club. I have lost quite a bit since surgery, but need to lose more too. Good luck.
 
Another quiet day yesterday. Went for a very short walk outside on my own for the first time. Only to the end of the street and back but it was something I needed to do. Went to slimming club and was delighted to have only gained one pound which I'm blaming on the implant and the fluid from the swelling! Total weight loss so far is 45lbs, 25lbs to go. Knee quite swollen afterwards so iced and elevated the rest of the evening.

Spent the rest of yesterday on the phone to my mobile (cell) phone company. I've been the victim of fraud - someone called them pretending to be me and got an iPhone and iPad sent to a random address but billed to my account. Causing me loads of stress and upset and inconvenience. They keep disconnecting my service which is very frustrating as my phone is my lifeline at the moment. Woke up this morning and I've been disconnected again! Grrrrr! :banghead:

Got a friend coming to visit today so guess I'd better get up and get ready.
 
Well done on getting out for a walk, that's alł you need to do. Good result at slimming club too. Keep on icing and elevating.

How awful for you to be defrauded. I really hope that your mobile phone company sort things out. So frustrating for you. Make sure you get them to take any markers off your credit record.

Enjoy your friends visit. I've got a quiet day today so am planning on doing very little.
 
@Raffs, sounds like you are doing really well. We all have those days that feel like one step forward, 2 steps back. You are being a friend to your knee, listening to what it's telling you, and being as patient as possible--good on you. We want to progress quickly in a straight line forward . . . but our new knees have other plans and we need to honor them! Just wanted to say good job. And, sorry about the phone nonsense--hope it's sorted out by now. :-)
 
Great job! I know how hard it is to lose the weight. You are doing so awesome! Cell phone companies are the worst to deal with. Hope you get the fraud taken care of. Have fun visiting with your friend and I hope you get in another walk today!
 
Just chilling and elevating....

[Bonesmart.org] Raffs' Recovery Thread<'
 
Had a nice day yesterday. Friend came to visit, we chatted non stop for hours! She bought me some lovely gifts and had been to Selfridges Food Hall to buy us lunch - yummy.

Only managed a short walk outside so did some laps of the living room. Noticed that my flex seems better when I was doing my heel slides. Didn't push, was just able to bend a bit further.

Getting fed up with the swelling, tightness and stiffness as it really affects my walking.I've got hydrotherapy this afternoon so will discuss with the therapist. I'm seeing my usual PT on Monday so will also discuss with him too. I feel like the swelling, tightness and stiffness should perhaps be easing off a bit now but it's not.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom