PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

@momweb I know! If I'd have turned up late then they may have refused to see me! Your doggie sounds like a real pal. I know I would have had my face in Patti's fur sobbing a couple of times by now for sure! Hope the knee is less tight today and that the PT went well. Yep, one limping step forward, one limping step back!
 
@Raffs sounds like you're doing well with your routine. I have to keep telling my hubby (when he's home) that l can make a cup of tea without any problem, do a little ironing also if l want to. My hubby is very good when it comes to housework but doesn't tend to move anything, so nice dust rings appear:heehee:. He's very good though and l am so lucky that he's very supportive.

I ice regularly and take my meds on a schedule. It's a good idea to take a dose when you wake up in the night (if you're able to), at least then your body is not bereft of painkillers. I think codeine only lasts about 4 hours before the effects where off so you may need to take more if you wake up in the early hours.

Hope you don't get too bored today, understand it's going to be warm - sounds as if you've got quite a few things to keep you occupied. Have a good day and don't overdo it!:loll:
 
I am glad you are progressing so beautifully. I cannot compare our recoveries as the date of our surgery is the only common denominator.
I hope that I too have turned the corner and can begin recovering. It will be at slower pace than anticipated, but who would anticipate all the challenges I have had to overcome.
Won't hijack your thread, I know you have been following my ups and downs.
The message is, we have to celebrate each win without letting the fallbacks bring us down!
 
@CATSMUM mine is great too but we have slightly differing views of what is clean and tidy and what is not! I have been setting an alarm in the middle of the night for pain meds but I hope that soon I can take a dose just before I sleep and then another whenever I wake up rather than the 5am alarm! Resting quite a bit today. Painted my nails and will think about looking at the cross stitch!

@simryg I have been so very lucky that my recovery has been so smooth so far. Couple of days in hospital were grim but absolutely nothing compared to the horror story that you've been through. My surgery was a straightforward partial compared to your complex 8 hour marathon plus the other health issues you've had to deal with. I've been very blessed and am very thankful. You have shown such strength in such difficult circumstances - I don't know that I would have been able to deal with things as well as you have. Nothing wrong with a slow recovery now - slow and steady will win this race. I find that I celebrate the smallest thing - things that before surgery I wouldn't have thought twice about - showering and dressing myself - woo hoo! Onwards and upwards my brave friend.
 
Not much to report this morning.

Quiet day yesterday. Survived being home alone for about 12 hours but found myself picking at food all day long. Boredom, I think. That has to stop as I cannot allow this recovery to be a excuse for weight gain. Read, watched TV, called my grandmother, faffed around on the Internet, iced, elevated, walked about a bit and did my PT. Can easily do straight leg raises now, amazing what difference a week makes.

Going for hydrotherapy this afternoon so knee has to survive that plus an hour or so in the car. Will take it easy this morning in readiness.

Happy Friday!
 
About hydrotherapy, I assume you had glue vs sutures and staples. Right?
 
I had staples. The hospital where I had my surgery gets knee and hip patients into the pool a couple of days after surgery. I had 2 sessions as an inpatient. The pool is specially treated with additional chemicals. I had my staples removed 10 days after surgery. I'm having my outpatient PT at the same hospital. When I saw my PT last week he said I would benefit from a session of hydrotherapy before I see him again. My flexion was 75 last week and he said that a session in the pool will help me to gently increase it. Even though I was a space cadet from the drugs and exhaustion when I had the inpatient hydro I did enjoy it.
 
My wound looks really clean and sealed
I think I would greatly benefit from the pool. Especially that I am not supposed to be weight bearing for too long a stretch.
The pa that removed said to wait abut 2 weeks, wonder if I really have t, especially not a public pool
 
It does sound like you would really benefit from it. But I guess you should really take the pa's advice. Perhaps give them a call and say you've been offered therapy? As long as the pool is specially treated and used for patients who have recently had surgery it may be ok.

Now, according to my calculations it is 1.30am in LA so try to get some sleep!
 
My reminder just rang to take pain pill. Hopefully will do the trick and I will be able to get some much needed rest.
 
I told my OS I wanted to do pool therapy but was told I had to wait 6-8 weeks. UGH! I can't wait. Shows the difference in not only countries but doctors. I still have 2 very tiny sections that are not tightly closed, so I will wait. I'm not taking any chances of an infection.
 
If you like water hydro is so soothing and aqua work really helped my right knee flexibility. More so than anything else really.
@simryg Even though the pool was a special hydrotherapy pool in the UK hospital I was treated at (left knee) they also used special waterproof dressings - the very expensive ones called Opsite Post-Op. I was sent home with a few.
In NY the PA said I could swim after a couple of weeks - but my PT was insistent all of the scabs had gone and that took longer than a couple of weeks. I was glued both times.
If there any scabs or scar sections that are not fully closed then you are sensible to wait @momweb - unless you can get a clean hydro pool and the special dressings and know how to use them.
I'm so looking forward to getting in the sea in a few weeks time - you can come @Raffs !
.
 
@Raffs how many PT sessions are you having? I haven't had the opportunity to try hydrotherapy as the hospital where l had my knee op doesn't have a big enough Physio dept (private hospital but nhs contract).
 
Just got back from hydro.

Sat on the back seat of the car there and back with my leg elevated because I didn't want to stress my knee before the hydro. It's about a 40 min journey each way.

Session was good. Did marching, lunges, squats, cycling, bending and step ups. All gentle, no pushing, no pain. He didn't measure but estimated 90-95 flex which is a big improvement on the 75 I got last week so I'm delighted. Up to me to decide if I want another hydro session or not. He said see how the knee is tomorrow. If I can feel an increase in soreness then book another hydro. If no increase then book to see my regular PT.

Resting, icing and elevating now and will do for the next few hours.

@momweb I know - the difference in protocols is huge. They have assured me that there is no risk of infection. I guess I have to trust them.

@Hopper I love water and also love the increased feeling of mobility it gives me at a time when I'm not feeling particularly mobile! No dressings required. It does seem odd but they say they know what they're doing! Sea water would be very relaxing as long as it didn't sting!

@CATSMUM I'll have as many as the PT says I need - probably 6-8. We're paying for them ourselves as I know how beneficial it is and it isn't a huge expense. Not really going out on the town spending money at the moment so may as well spend it on this!
 
@Raffs hydro therapy sounds good. They don't do that around here in fact they say I have to stay out of pools, tubs etc for 3 months because of infection risk. ROM getting so good for you :wowspring:
 
Well, hydro might feel gentle at the time but I was exhausted when I got home! Knee was quite swollen and hot last night too so it was probably a bit much for it. The PT said that it might be sore afterwards, he was right! He said that it is a sign that the knee worked hard during the session and that I would therefore probaby benefit from another hydro session before moving to regular PT.

I am slightly concerned about the infection risk from the hydro pool but I have to trust that the hospital, OS and PT department know what they're doing.

Rested, iced and elevated last night and it feels better this morning. Going to do some gentle PT once I've finished my coffee and will see how it feels then.

Planning on going to a cafe in garden centre today for a coffee - I really need to get out of the house and do something normal for an hour or so. It's a beautiful day here today, the cafe has a lovely outside terrace.

What to wear though?? Difficult to dress appropriately for the weather whilst trying to hide my TED stockings!!
 
From memory, l think l was always tired after hydrotherapy, can remember to this day how painful the knee was after having hydrotherapy, and that's after 35 years!!!! Glad your knee feels better this morning.

I really enjoy going to our local garden centre for a coffee, feels really good to do something normal. Hoping to go out for an hour or so this afternoon depending on when the repair man arrives. Thankfully l never had to wear TEDs so I consider myself fortunate.

Enjoy your coffee and don't overdo things.

:flwrysmile:
 
@Raffs my PT said that when the knee is worked hard you can expect to feel the ramifications anywhere from 24 - 48 hours later. That's probably what happened to you. Every time we work that knee we're breaking down scar tissue, and when we stop we create more. Seems crazy, but I guess that's how it works. Yesterday, we tried something a little different to try and get me a better night's sleep. Work out several times during the day in small doses. Ice the top of the knee, moist heat behind the knee. I did that at least 4 times yesterday. To my surprise I only had one instance of pain last night. Quite a difference from the 3-4. I don't have too many issues during the day, it's night. So, we'll try it again today and see what happens.
 
Funnily enough when l had my knee class after my left tkr in 2013, that's what the physios said. Told us to rest, ice and elevate for at least 24 hours after the session. They'd always ask how we had got on at the next session.
 
@Raffs sounds like the hydro therapy worked that knee! Enjoy the garden and I am sure you will look styling in your Ted's :loll:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom