PKR Raffs' Recovery Thread<'

@Raffs my PT said that when the knee is worked hard you can expect to feel the ramifications anywhere from 24 - 48 hours later. That's probably what happened to you. Every time we work that knee we're breaking down scar tissue, and when we stop we create more. Seems crazy, but I guess that's how it works. Yesterday, we tried something a little different to try and get me a better night's sleep. Work out several times during the day in small doses. Ice the top of the knee, moist heat behind the knee. I did that at least 4 times yesterday. To my surprise I only had one instance of pain last night. Quite a difference from the 3-4. I don't have too many issues during the day, it's night. So, we'll try it again today and see what happens.

I need to try this tonight. Thanks for posting.
 
Yesterday was fine, went out for a coffee. It was lovely sitting on the terrace in the sunshine watching people wandering around buying plants. Knee seemed to enjoy the walk from the car to the cafe and back. It didn't protest too much about the car journey or sitting in the cafe. I guess we were only out about an hour or so but it was really nice to go out. I even put some make-up on! Just pottered about the rest of the day, plenty of resting and icing. Sat in our garden reading for a short while too. Used a tatty old brick to elevate the leg slightly, not attractive but it worked. Hubby was out last night meeting up with an old friend so I had a quiet evening watching TV and eating too much!

Feel like the blues have hit a bit though. I know I'm doing fine and progressing as I should. I think I'm starting to worry that the implant isn't quite right. It's almost like I can feel the metal and plastic moving around. When I walk it sometimes feels like something is getting stuck - sometimes it bends easily and sometimes it doesn't. This is probably normal as the knee settles down but it feels odd. The hot swelling has pretty much gone but the knee is still quite swollen and misshapen. Again, I expect this is probably normal at less than 3 weeks out. I'm not impatient to be further on just worried that something is wrong especially as partials do have a bit of a reputation for being problematic. I saw a different OS before I found the one who did the surgery and he kept telling me that patellofemoral replacements don't work - I think his words have lingered even though I have total faith in the surgeon who did the surgery. My current OS said that the procedure was straightforward and that he would hope I won't need it revised for around 10 years.

Feeling a bit wobbly today, know that everyone has days like this, hope it passes soon.
 
@Raffs glad you had a nice break at the garden centre. It's nice to feel as if you're finally getting back to some sort of normality. I was by myself last night as hubby went out to his nephews 30th birthday bash, he didn't get home until 1.30, slightly worse for wear, lol.

I think we all go through that, l know I'm always worrying that something isn't right. I think what you're experiencing is just normal recovery, swelling can take months to go down so don't worry about that. I was hoping to get away with just a partial but my OS didn't do them. Why don't you contact your OS or mention your worries to the Physio next time you see them - I'm sure that they'll be able to reassure you that all is well.

You're right, we all have days like that when we feel wobbly, so just rest today and let hubby do everything. x
 
@CATSMUM I think perhaps the hydro on Friday (plus the 1 hr+ car journey) plus my jaunt to the garden centre yesterday plus sitting in the garden plus walking around a bit more last night have sent me for a day out at the ODIC! I've also cut my pain meds down to 30mg codeine and 1000mg paracetamol four times a day. I can increase this if I feel I need to.

I'm going to rest a lot more today, might go for a very short walk outside later but no more than 10 mins. Knee is quite stiff and achy.

My OS is away until the end of July but good idea to mention to the PT this week.

Hubby is currently cleaning the house! He did get time off for good behaviour last night though!!
 
@Raffs Think that sounds as if you've overdone things - we're both currently enjoying a day out at the ODIC:heehee:. I've just had my first trip to Aldi, boy do l know how to live it up!!! I'm now reclining on the sofa with my cryocuff wrapped round my knee. My knee was quite stiff walking around.

Hubby is currently preparing dinner, having cleaned the house yesterday - sounds as if we've got good supportive hubbies! :loll:
 
@Raffs funny you should mention the feeling of something getting stuck. I had the same feeling just the other day when I was going up the stairs. I still go up one foot at a time. But this time as I brought up my right leg to place it on the stair it felt like a catch of some kind, like it was having a hard time making the bend. It happened a couple of times and was pretty scary. My PT came that day and I mentioned it to him. Of course it didn't happen while he was there. He said it sounded like some excess scar tissue that hadn't smoothed out yet so as the knee was bending it was a little rough and felt like it was catching. As I continue to heal that scar tissue to wear out and smooth out more and won't be a problem. Maybe that's what's happening with you as well. Of course, only your doc will know for sure. I try not to worry too much, or it will send me to the Looney Bin!!:snork:
 
Completely agree with @momweb regarding scar tissue, don't worry about things too much or we'll all be in the loony bin!!
 
Glad your day was so great! I bet your patial is just fine. They were going to do a partial on me, but when they got in there, did a total. Have a restful day and no overdoing! That is what my plan it too!
 
Today is a challenge. Pain levels have increased for the first time since leaving hospital. I'm going to increase my dose next time meds are due. Knee is very stiff, sore, swollen and hot. I'm taking it very easy today in the hope of calming things down. Walking is more difficult than usual. Various parts of the knee hurt. Apart from showering and getting dressed all I've done today is one set of PT exercises, a few heel slides on their own at lunchtime and a 10 min walk. Have spent the rest of the day in bed, icing and elevating. This is not fun. Feel like I've gone back days today. Am upset too which isn't helping.
I'm definitely on my way to the looney bin today!! :gaah:

@CATSMUM hope the resting was beneficial and that you had a yummy lunch.

@momweb that sounds like a sensible explanation. I will heed your words about trying not to worry too much.

@tigwy11 hope your day is very restful.
 
@Raffs i know how you feel, recovery is a roller coaster, up and down! I feel sometimes as if I've gone 2 steps forward but then almost 3 steps back! A day or so later I'm 4 steps forward again and recovered what steps I've lost. Please don't be upset, its all part of the healing process.

(Dinner was delicious, although hubby hacked the pork!)
 
Oh no! I hope the resting and icing help. Thinking of you today hoping tomorrow it better.
 
The humidity here is miserable and not helping even with air conditioning. Hope you feel better.
 
I often felt progress and then setback. It wasn't until about 5 weeks out where I felt the progress far outpacing setbacks.

Regarding your comment earlier about feeling like the implant sets stuck or isn't sitting quite right- I have felt that too and still feel quite "clicky" when my muscles are tired. The stronger I get, the less it happens. But, at the end of a day, I often feel like my knee jams or gives way a bit too. Lots of atrophy to overcome.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@CATSMUM feel like I've gone back a week today. Bit better tonight, took the full dose of pain meds earlier which helped. Hacked pork is better than no pork!!

@tigwy11 thank you. Feel a bit better tonight.

@momweb Eeek! I hate humidity - hair frizz!!

@JennyLynne thanks for stopping by. Very helpful and reassuring comments, thanks.

I just wish the vice-like band at the bottom of my knee would ease up a bit - aargh!!
 
Didn't have a great night. Kept waking up worrying that something is wrong. Did manage to get a few hours sleep.

Knee still feels horribly tight today. I've done a few gentle heel slides and they were fine. No pain and bending the same as yesterday. Walking with a good gait is impossible. I can't bend the knee very well so I'm limping badly. The tight band at the bottom of the knee feels tighter than it did a few days ago and there is also tightness slightly higher up too.

Going back to basics today - resting, icing, elevating, exercises and regular but very short walks around the house. Perhaps another day of babying it will help.

Sigh....
 
Morning @Raffs sorry to hear you didn't have a good night. I'm sure everything is fine with your implant, we all go through phases of thinking something isn't right, l know l do, virtually on a daily basis!!!

Just rest today , elevate and take your meds. You're probably still recovering from overdoing it. Probably just soft tissues moaning about the rough treatment they've received these last few days. I'm sure it will start to settle down over the next day or so, if you're really worried, speak to your Physio who should be able to reassure you. x
 
Dang it! Take care and hope it does better tomorrow. Mine as bad last night til around 1, then finally settled down so I could sleep.
 
@Raffs are you walking around the house with a cane or a crutch? You may not think you need it, but if you are limping, you probably do. The cane and/or crutch will take the pressure off the knee and allow it some more time to heal. Worth a shot!
 
Hope you're taking it easy today.....and maybe for the next day or two! We all have those days in our recovery. Just when we think we're over the hump and it will be smooth sailing from here on out. It's bound to make you feel down in the dumps because it's disappointing. Just know that's it's part of the process and that we all experience it at least once or twice during our recoveries. Hang in there my friend!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Raffs .... I'm so sorry, but I just realized that you never received our basic recovery articles! So, even though you may be past a few of the guidelines presented in them, I'll post them for you anyway. Please take a look and you'll see that you really are still right in the middle of recovery. People seem to think they will heal faster with a partial knee replacement instead of a full TKR, but that usually is not the case. It's about the same.

I agree that you should be using a walking aid until you are not limping. It is never good to hop or limp around. You want to be able to take strong, long strides with your new knee in order to properly exercise your muscles and get them started on strengthening.

That tightness and inability to bend you're feeling are the result of pushing a bit too hard. You've got swelling going on. It would be best to rest, ice, elevate and take something for the pain for a few days. Just be sure to do some of those bends and stretches throughout the day and a little walk here and there to keep the knee moving.

So, here are the articles:

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a therapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom