Guest viewing is limited

TKR Put the right knee in...and then the left.

@gertie I will jump in on the cane too. I gave mine up at (I think) about 3 months and then had to get it out again at 5 months when we went on vacation to Crater Lake and I had more than one mile to walk in a stretch. Recent medical stuff means I need to use it again. Do I love it? No, but it enables me to get out and about so I do it. I love @rubyyarn's idea of decorating it. One bonus I've found is that strangers are awfully nice to me when I am using it. :console2:

@Canada35 - Oh how I wish I could figure out the middle of the night waking for all of us. I usually end up getting up and sleeping in the recliner and can't consistently figure out what will work. Sometimes reading works. Sometimes the TV set on something boring with very low sound works. Sometimes those ideas are too much light. Sometimes I make some warm milk. :mcoffee: Very rarely when I think I am about to pull my hair out in frustration,:swoon: I resort to an antihistamine like Benedryl, but I wouldn't recommend that. I sleep but wake up dry mouthed and groggy and I read that it raises blood pressure.
 
I find my cane on stairs does work wonders for both operated leg and non operated leg!

And you’re right, @Canada35 it is pride to not use it when it helps. I didn’t see it that way. Thank you!

Isn’t there a Bible verse about pride going before a fall? Literally!!
 
...and my PT told me just recently, if you walk with a limp at all, you should use the cane. I know sometimes I take my trekking poles outside with me and it helps me have near perfect form while walking. Don't be at all embarrassed for using your cane. You've had several major surgeries in this past year. I think you're doing great!
 
Thanks for all the replies about the cane. I only need it on longer walks--gait and balance are ok but it's good to have when I start to feel a bit fatigued. I think it boils down to a reluctance to use something associated with aging--silly I know but there you have it. I blame it on living in a university town where the average age is about 25 which makes me feel ancient on my best day :)

In positive news, I went for a walk this morning that was a little over a mile--lovely, easy path through woods and fields, nicely graded and maintained. I remember that the last time I took this particular path was mid-October 2015. Right after that walk I had a flare up of arthritis in my right knee, followed by a cortisone shot, Synvisc shots, a deteriorating hip, and the beginning of my surgeries. Stretched out on the couch now with ice on the knees but they did well on the walk--Augie felt stiff toward the end and June clicked a bit but no pain.
 
How uplifting it is to walk in the woods! There's something so peaceful about nature and the singing of the birds!
 
@gertie, there’s just nothing as life affirming as a walk in the woods. All the greenery really helps to give us a “reboot,” lol.

My cane is red and sparkly and I’m rather fond of it. It’s saved my bacon more times than I care to count and it still comes with me on all outdoor walks whether I kneed it or not. If it makes me look older, so be it. I’m young in spirit. As for your town filled with college-aged whippersnappers? Eh, what do they know? Their opinions are invalidated by their age. FWIW, I see young people using trekking poles all over the place, so perhaps those would suit you better? Throw on a backpack and you’ll fit right in![emoji258]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Throw on a backpack and you’ll fit right in!
Fit in??? Not a chance. But I have thought about trekking poles as an option.

Update time again--Week 17 for June and week 11 for Augie.
I might need to change to monthly updates since change happens slowly at this point.
--As mentioned in previous posts, I went for a nice 1.2 mile walk on Sunday on an easy woodsy path.
--Monday I worked from home for 6 hours then went for a walk around the neighborhood--only .6 miles since I was feeling some sore muscles from the previous day's stroll. I carried the cane jauntily over my shoulder, just in case, but didn't feel the need for using it.
--I went into the office for a few hours on Tuesday--knees not real happy about desk sitting, even with propping feet up on CPU, so thankfully my employer seems to be OK with me dividing my time between home and office. I'm working from home today and will go in tomorrow for a few hours then home again.
--Sleep continues to be an issue. Got a Rx for Trazadone and will try it this weekend (waiting for the weekend in case I experience side effects).
--Want to work on building up stair strength and stamina. I've had it easy with just a few shallow steps to get into my house but that means I haven't built up leg strength needed for standard stair height.

Took a break at lunch today and drove to a nearby pond for a wander around. I'll update my avatar with a picture of that peaceful spot.
 
@gertie, what a lovely new avatar and gorgeous place to spend some lunch minutes. Note, I didn't say hour, since those days are long gone.

If you don't have access to many stairs at home, you could try one of those stair-step gizmos used for old-style step aerobics; just a thought. Or even the bottom rung of a solid footstool. It's boring to step in place like that, but....it helps!

It sounds as though you're doing really well other than the discomfort of sitting at a desk for hours on end. I'd have been in that same boat at 11 weeks post-op had I not been retired. Only now can I sit for extended periods of time with legs down and it's still not exactly my favorite position; depends on the chair.

Did you try the Trazodone this weekend? If so, did it help? I certainly hope so. Crossing fingers for you!:fingersx:
 
@Pheebs52 Interesting idea about the stair step machine. For now, I"m using the steps that lead from the backyard onto my back porch when the weather cooperates. My muscles do fine on the 3 inch steps out front but have a much harder time on those higher steps in the back--thank goodness for 2 railings.

Work has been a bit of a challenge although I'm fortunate that I can work some from home, where I can sprawl on the couch or in a comfy chair. I went in for meetings this afternoon and a few hours was enough. It's partly sitting with feet down or uncomfortably propped on my CPU if I'm at my desk and partly getting down and up from chairs with no arms when I'm at meetings--good for the thigh muscles but hard on the knees.

Thanks for asking about the sleep situation. I actually slept OK this weekend so haven't tried the Trazodone yet. I'll let you know how it goes when I do.

That avatar picture was taken at one of my favorite local spots--I went for a walk there this weekend. Fortunately it's only a 5 minute drive from my house.
 
@gertie, a CPU doesn’t sound like an especially comfortable footstool. Is there room under your desk for a small padded footstool? If so, that might help much more. If not, perhaps even a backpack or duffel bag filled with towels or pillows would do the trick?

I can certainly see how getting up and down from armless chairs would also be problematic. I’d definitely use the cane for that, but I know how you feel about it.

I wasn’t actually referring to a stair step machine, just the plastic molded blocks they sell for stepping up and down and are also used in PT. I’m sure Amazon must have them, and very often, height can be added or subtracted from them. The little stair step machines put your entire leg at an odd angle and I doubt those would be a good idea just yet.

Thank goodness for two railings is right!

Isn’t it great to have such a lovely park so close to home? I have one as well and am now beginning to walk the dogs there along with the knee, lol.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh, great news on the sleeping! Maybe just knowing you have the meds is sufficient![emoji16]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Maybe just knowing you have the meds is sufficient!
[Bonesmart.org] Put the right knee in...and then the left.
Funny how that works!

4 1/2 months for June and 3 months for Augie:
Not much to report this week. We had beautiful weather over the weekend so I got in a couple of nice walks with friends. I've been trying to remember to wear my Fitbit. Saturday I got in just under 5000 steps--not too shabby given my past year and a half. Other days, not quite so many :)

I worked at home Monday morning then went into the office for a few hours. After work I went for a walk. Yesterday I worked at home all day which is a good thing because Augie (the newer knee) was quite stiff and achy. Felt like I was back in earlier days of recovery. Don't know if the achiness was a response to previous few days' activity or the windy, rainy, stormy weather we had yesterday (or both).

In any case, Augie's temper tantrum passed thanks to lots of ice and both knees have felt good today. My supervisor continues to be understanding about my dividing my time between home and the office, thankfully--this makes working full time possible--I don't think I could do it if I had to be in the office for 8 hour days.

Patience is still required since improvements are small at this stage.
 
@Pheebs52 I just saw your longer most recent reply. I keep thinking about the desk set up but for now the CPU is the best bet because it means I can have legs really up--it's just not nearly as comfortable as my couch :) And I'm managing the chairs by putting both hands on the seat to push up and get myself started but it's a workout--might not be a bad thing since I need to build up my leg muscles but I do feel it at the end of the day--although today was better than Monday so things are slowly improving.

Thanks for the clarification about the steps--I know the kind you mean and yes it's what they use in PT. I'll check on Amazon.
 
Going up steps (as an exercise) really is good for making legs stronger. It just takes a while before seeing any improvement, but when you see it, it’s golden. You’re at a point where it all gets easier, if not as quickly as desired.

Sounds like you’re having success at easing back into work. Isn’t modern technology great? I’ve also gotten to like working from my couch, rather than my desk. Comfy and my knees like being propped on an ottoman. :heehee:
 
Going up steps (as an exercise) really is good for making legs stronger.
Oh, I agree. The problem is my choices are the few steps I have out back, leading to the back porch; the basement stairs, which are terrifyingly steep; and the stairs at work, where I have to commit to going up 25 steps before I can rest. So, I stick with the back porch steps, doing step-ups with my right leg (when it's not pouring rain as it is right now).

And yes, I love my laptop computer, which I think has been glued to me during this recovery.
 
Last edited:
I guess I should be grateful for my basement steps and front steps (around 15 each). At least I don't have to look for steps to do. I agree with @SusieShoes that they are good for building strength and that it can feel like really slow improvement. Every so often I will notice that the stairs were easier, though, and that feels great.
 
You've been a stair climbing champ @sandi4213!

When I can do 20+ step ups (did 10 yesterday with R leg) or can alternate for the equivalent of 25, I'll tackle the stairs at work. Right now, I might get stuck on the halfway landing :rotfl:
 
Hi @gertie just read your whole thread and am amazed on how well you have done on your staged knee recovery! I am doing staged tkr's as well, first one in 3 weeks and the second in Jan likely. I just wanted to thank you for posting because this is the type of thread I need to see/read.

On your sleeping issue, I am a long time sufferer of insomnia, I tried all the otc stuff, sometimes it worked but most often not. I could not shut my brain off. I ended up at a sleep dr and he gave me trazadone, it has been a Godsend. I am not even kidding. I went from getting maybe 3-4 hours of sleep max to getting 7-9 solid hours of sleep. It made such a difference in my daily life and attitude. I do not really feel the grogginess in the morning more than 30 mins if that, but I've been on it for about a year now or close too. Have you been taking it? You can use as needed too, rather than every night, at least that is what my sleep doc said. I tend to take it every night, but do miss here or there and sleep fairly well without it, especially if I am exhausted.
 
@SpaceGirl Best wishes with your staged TKRs! I'll be looking for your reports. I'm glad my thread has been helpful. There are certainly ups and downs but overall, this hasn't been as bad as I feared it would be, especially physically. Yes, there was pain but that was well managed with medication and ice and rest. The biggest challenge has been psychological--needing to get into early recovery brain again so soon--and in a conversation with my OS he confirmed that is what he hears from most patients who go the staged route. So be ready to draw on every ounce of patience!

And thanks for the info about your experience with Trazodone. You echo what @Pheebs52 reported.
 
It was a beautiful fall day here today--temps in the 60s, sun, clear air. I did errands in the morning, including a stop at a supermarket. In the afternoon, I went out and about with friends, including a stop to buy apples, then a walk on a bike path, and another couple of stops at a farm market and a cafe. I came home and rested a bit then did some stuff around the house. Looking forward to a quiet evening. Knees are a bit stiff, especially Augie, but overall holding up well to my busy day. Stormy weather on the way for tomorrow so I'll probably have a quiet day at home.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom