Guest viewing is limited

TKR Put the right knee in...and then the left.

Just to say I love my PT. I went in today with Augie feeling a bit stiff and sore after doing a lot of housework yesterday that included multiple trips out of the house (and down the few front stairs) and I went foot over foot a lot of the time, both up and down (plus a trip to Trader Joe's). No major ouch but tighter than usual. And so she said let's not do any exercises and we spent the entire 1/2 hour with her doing massage of my legs and IT bands and some ultrasound massage on Augie. Felt great. We also agreed to take a break from PT in October and let Augie grow up a bit. She said that at Augie's stage of healing she'd typically be working on ROM and gait and I'm fine in both those areas. So my next appt is in early November and we'll assess what Augie is ready for at that point. In the meantime I'll keep on walking and working on some simple balance exercises.
 
And how are your staged knees doing today? I'll go check out your thread.
 
Lynn you are a recovery phenom! I am very impressed with your approach and how well you are doing. Way to go! I hope your return to work goes smoothly!
 
Yes, I so appreciate that she's interested in working with me rather than having a pre-set agenda of what I'm supposed to do. She's trained to the PhD level--don't know if that makes a difference. She's also fairly young and sees a lot of total joint patients.
 
:roseshwr:I love your PT too! She really "gets" knee replacements. I would say her extensive trading and education does make a difference. She really works with you.
 
Warning, whiny rant ahead:
Well, I ended up not going to the concert tonight, after obsessing all day, back and forth, go, not go. It would have been a 25 minute drive there and back, a bit of a walk from the parking area, not sure what the seating would be like but possibly folding chairs, and just generally feeling wary of being in a crowd. At first I felt relief at my decision but that quickly morphed into a funk and lots of second guessing and feeling sick and tired of being in my house and calling myself a wimp and...you get the picture. I seem to remember going through the same thing after my hip replacement last fall--making plans and then backing out--but it was at an earlier stage of recovery, 5 or 6 weeks rather than the 8 weeks I am now from knee 2. I am well and truly sick of this and tell myself to pull up my big girl pants and get out there and...ugh. Sick of myself, sick of my couch, sick of TV, sick of my own company...but obviously not quite ready for the big wide world.

I talked with a friend about all this and she named it "old lady syndrome", jokingly (she's my age), but I'm afraid there's truth in that and I don't like it and don't want to fall into an old lady hermit pattern, afraid to go out at night, just generally cautious.

Boldness is needed, bravery, and I'm feeling like those are in short supply right now chez Lynn.
 
@gertie, I have been reading along with your posts. Perhaps you are just taking very good care and protecting that second knee from what could happen in a concert setting. I am yet to go through either of my replacements but can only imagine how protective one must be in the aftermath. I'd say you made an excellent decision and listened to the inner voice. Hugs.
 
Awwww... Lynn, it will get better. I've felt the same and put off some outings I would not have ordinarily given a second thought to.... there's just something about venturing out on these new knees. Confidence will increase.
Until then, do what you're comfortable with for now. ((Hugs))
 
Thanks for the hugs and good wishes. The cat was happy I stayed home and is now curled up in my lap purring away, which always makes me feel better.
 
Weekly update time. This is week 15 for June and week 9 for Augie and I am definitely into plateau territory. Changes, if any, are small. Still only walking about .5 or .6 miles before Augie starts to protest a bit, still dealing with stiffness and soreness when I first stand up and start to walk (doesn't matter whether legs have been bent or straight out), not sleeping well which compounds the energy drain.

So, what has changed?
--I finally removed the shower transfer bench. I didn't use this at all for June because I had one very bendy knee and accessing the tub/shower was easy but have been using it all along for Augie since neither knee really liked the movement needed to step over and into the tub/shower combo. I still have the raised toilet seat in place just because it's so much easier but will remove it next week when I have company coming.

--I carried the paper recycling to the end of the driveway yesterday. I had been getting help with that but managed it fine yesterday, including needing to pick up some pieces of paper that escaped the box. I was able to do a mini squat/bend to pick things up instead of just bending from the waist (not good for my back) or heading inside to get the reacher/grabber.

--I'm back to work part-time, working from home this week and next. This has been fine since I haven't had to deal with a commute, being at a desk, stairs, etc. I have been able to concentrate although my sleep difficulties make me less efficient.

And that's about it! Everything else is much the same (patience, patience, patience...).
 
And a follow up to the rant about the concert and my obsessing about whether to go or not. I talked to friends the next day who said the music was good but they left early because it was so loud their ears hurt.
 
The plateau phase can get tedious. Were you happy to say goodbye to the shower transfer bench? I sure was! It just feels so... affirming, and like real progress has been made, to step into and out of the tub for a shower. Sounds like you're progressing through recovery just fine! And working, too. :yes!:
 
Sounds like you are doing really well with several small milestones that really add up. I hope the transition to working by starting at home works well for you. It's a good reminder about using the squats to pick up things - good for improving glute and quad strength and easier on the back - as long as it's pieces of paper and nothing too heavy :eyebrows:
 
Aaah Gertie, I am still enjoying the irony of your friends having to leave the concert due to noise levels! Funny how these things work, isn't it?

Though your present achievements may lack some of the drama that prior ones have had, they are still significant in my book! If your recycle bin is anything like mine, carrying it down the drive is no small feat! Ridding yourself of the shower bench is a huge milestone; huzzah! Back to work? Let's just say amazing, ok? You are a *staged wonder woman!* Don't be shy, just accept the crown and the...uh...interesting outfit, lol!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom