Bilateral TKR Puppylove's New Knees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night was particularly painful. I felt like the bandage on my left leg had become a tourniquet and my right leg was still a log leg. It was an emotional time and I was in tears. I asked for pain meds and received Toradol IV. I slept for a while after that. This morning when I woke up I had a bit more mobility in both legs. I'm hoping to be on the walker today. Nurse is here for meds and to take my catheter out. I'll update more later.
 
I hope you've got the good meds going now. Congrats on hitting the recovery road!
 
I guess we have to take it one day at a time. Hope today is going smoothly and they've got your meds ahead of the pain. Hang in there; wishing you the best.
 
Today has been a very sleepy day. I fell asleep eating breakfast and then again in therapy. After afternoon therapy I took a long nap and felt so much better when I woke up. Both legs have woken up but are very painful when I stand or walk. My urinary catheter has been removed so now I have to walk to the bathroom. I'm finding it difficult to get on and off the toilet due to pain. I know it's all a work in patience, but I'm not know for my patience! Thankfully, the nurse and patient care techs are all wonderful. My sodium is low, so I have to have another IV started so they can start fluids. Thanks for all you're encouragement; I don't know how people go thru this without a support network!
 
I'll tell you, if they're giving you those Norco that are 10 mg hydrocodone two at a time, you'll spend all your time asleep. Man I hated those. I quit them when I got home. Never could do two at a time. I really admire you doing both knees. I couldn't have handled it. Just keep taking the meds. And do the ice machine. We're thinking about ya Gal.
 
@PuppyLove Congratulations on doing both knees and getting this done!
Wow , you are very brave........
I hope the pain mitigates for you so it isn't too bad to walk to the bathroom.
When I had my THR, the bathroom had this really low toilet (!)
I hope they are higher in TKR rooms?

I look forward to watching your good recovery. Both my knees are crappy, too.
Yours are now bionic! Yay!
 
Sounds like you are doing better today, glad you have good care. My sodium was low, the restricted water, I could have gatoraide, and coconut water.
 
Looks like you don't have the recovery articles, they are not long and easy to read.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

And wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
Today is day three and I feel better than yesterday. I went to therapy twice yesterday and although I'm very stiff, I was able to get through the exercises. Of course I took a nap as soon as got back to my room!

My sodium levels were slightly low so I got a new IV and fluids. My O2 sats bobbled between 82 and 98, so after switching out machines they decided to keep me on a canula for a while. I woke up this morning at 3:00 and couldn't get back to sleep, so I gave myself a sponge bath.

I wish I had something profound to say, but at this point it would be that hips are easier than knees. I'm ready to go home. This has been a good experience (great nurses, staff, food is pretty good, private room) , but I dont want to go to a rehab center unless I have to. Everyone's says I'm doing great; I hope that really is true.

Thanks for all your kind words, thoughts and prayers.:flwrysmile:
 
@PuppyLove I'm sorry you're having some issues with sodium and O2, but it sounds like you are doing great and being taken care of well. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to go to rehab or straight home, and I have to say I'm very glad I went home. Everyone is different, you'll know what feels comfortable with you. If you have help and support at home, I just wanted to let you know that it is doable (even stairs) if that's what you want. I think both options have pros and cons. I'm sure whatever you decide will be a good decision. Keep up the great work, and look forward to hearing your updates as you go through this journey. Wishing you a comfortable and pain-free weekend!
 
When I did PT at Harris SW, they just came to the room. Guess it's different at Harris Dtwn. Glad you're doing pretty good. No hill for a stepper!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had some O2 issues at first with my first knee. When the femoral block failed they had to dope me up quite a bit--every time I dozed off my O2 would drop and the alarm would go off. They put me on oxygen for that first night & I was able to sleep. Later it was ok. I hope your oxygen settles back to normal quickly too.
 
@PuppyLove I just caught up with your thread. Sorry you were having such a hard time, but it sounds as though you're improving. Each day will get better but while you are going through it, it doesn't seem that way.. It's hard with one leg and you are dealing with two. You should be proud of yourself! Remember to rest, ice and elevate. Hugs, Anne
 
Now that I think about it, I think my O2 alarm went off several times for me too. I have sleep apnea so I use a bipap when sleeping but I seem to remember being on oxygen some at other times. Kind of a blur at times, as you're pretty doped up.



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I was discharged this afternoon. I was on fluids last night and this morning my sodium levels were good. The hospitalist told me that between my diuretic (very low concentration - for hypertension) and the meds that the OS orders after surgery to draw off the excess fluid, it could have been the cause. They never figured out why I was having drops in oxygen saturation, other than it's an old machine that might not stay calibrated. Since I stayed in the higher 90's most of the day, they let me go.

Since I'm not going to rehab, my insurance says I have to have at least two weeks of homehealth PT. From this exact standpoint, it will be a good thing because I'm having a lot more pain than I did with my hip. The car ride home was painful, as the pillows hubby brought for me kept sliding out com under my legs. Also, the patient transport wheelchair didn't have any way to elevate my legs, so that was also painful. I've been resting, icing and elevating since I got home, plus taking meds as prescribed.

I was hoping that I would be an exception to the "hips are easier than knees" statement, but so far I'd say that the statement is true. I was blessed with phenomenal nurses and techs and my hospital stay was great, but there's no place like home!
 
@PuppyLove Excellent!! Did you get glue or stitches or staples. I hope it was the glue. I had home health for three weeks where a nurse comes and checks you once or twice a week and the PT comes 3 times a week for an hour. I'm sure it was arranged by the hospital using a company your doctor uses. My PTA was very good and very sweet. She did a great job. Then I went to outpatient PT which I'm still doing. Next week is my last week. I'm three months out from surgery. I've had 2 visits with the PA and 1 with OS since surgery. One next week with OS, then I'll probably be done for a while. That's probably how it will go with you too. I'm sure you're recovery is going to be great from now on. I will it so.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom